Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
nm don't have a quality source yet

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Well at least they have the guts to just come out and say "America bad therefore anti-America good no matter what" instead of dancing around it I guess?

The more formal argument you’ll see will reference Lenin’s imperialism. The irony being that book while superficially about the West’s imperialism was really about Russian imperialism and was western focused to dodge the censors of the time.

So using it to back Mr. Neo Orthodoxy, Autocracy, and Nationality, which is old school European reactionary stuff that Marx was literally loving reacting to, is quite a spicy take.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've gotten three recommended videos today on YT that claim to show Ukrainians being trained on B-52 bombers and the description says that America has announced it will be providing Ukraine with a squadron of B-52s and will be providing fighter cover for them while they go on missions.

It's just stock footage of B-52s being readied for a flight and then some footage of them flying with F-16s and F-35s.

I'm guessing this is some new disinformation story that someone is trying to push. I've never had any "fake news" stories like this recommended to me before.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mederlock posted:

Hold on a second.. have they managed to fabricobble together some kind of way to use Warsaw pact radars in their jets with the AIM-7? I can't think of any GBAD systems that use Sparrow a la the AIM-120 in the NASAMS, unless they've managed to make the Sparrow work with the Buk launchers the way they did with RIM-7 Sea sparrow

Sparrow uses the same seeker as sea sparrow, right?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've gotten three recommended videos today on YT that claim to show Ukrainians being trained on B-52 bombers and the description says that America has announced it will be providing Ukraine with a squadron of B-52s and will be providing fighter cover for them while they go on missions.

It's just stock footage of B-52s being readied for a flight and then some footage of them flying with F-16s and F-35s.

I'm guessing this is some new disinformation story that someone is trying to push. I've never had any "fake news" stories like this recommended to me before.

Yeah that doesn't make sense on any level. Even if the US could be convinced to give Ukraine B-52's, which lol considering how cagey they were about M1 Abrams and F16s, I fail to see how they could help Ukraine. The B-52 exists because the US is on the other side of a large ocean from Russia and needed a plane to carry a large load of strategic weapons into range, Ukraine doesn't have that issue. They'd be taking off and immediately be in range of Russia's air defenses. It would be a massive disadvantage cause you'd have 1 launcher carrying all that payload and likely getting shot down, instead of multiple ground launchers spreading the payload out.

But the first and final nail in the coffin to this is B-52's are part of the US's nuclear triad, and they don't make them anymore and still lack a 1-1 replacement for capability. So I strongly doubt they'd give them to any nation under even the most extreme clancy-esque circumstance.

So yeah that's a big load of dumb disinfo, I suggest being highly suspect of anything else from that source.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah that doesn't make sense on any level. Even if the US could be convinced to give Ukraine B-52's, which lol considering how cagey they were about M1 Abrams and F16s, I fail to see how they could help Ukraine. The B-52 exists because the US is on the other side of a large ocean from Russia and needed a plane to carry a large load of strategic weapons into range, Ukraine doesn't have that issue. They'd be taking off and immediately be in range of Russia's air defenses. It would be a massive disadvantage cause you'd have 1 launcher carrying all that payload and likely getting shot down, instead of multiple ground launchers spreading the payload out.

But the first and final nail in the coffin to this is B-52's are part of the US's nuclear triad, and they don't make them anymore and still lack a 1-1 replacement for capability. So I strongly doubt they'd give them to any nation under even the most extreme clancy-esque circumstance.

So yeah that's a big load of dumb disinfo, I suggest being highly suspect of anything else from that source.
They were definitely pushing the nuclear angle. The video kept mentioning that they were originally designed to drop nuclear bombs on Russia and then asked "Now that the Ukrainians have bombers capable of dropping nuclear bombs on Russia, what else will the Americans give them?"

I'm just surprised to have been recommended the same disinfo campaign from 3 separate sources when I've never had anything like the recommended before. Also it's such an obvious disinfo campaign it makes me wonder who they though would fall for it. Usually they try for a "both sides" type story or take real news a tweak it or take it out of context to make it seem plausible to a casual observer.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

They were definitely pushing the nuclear angle. The video kept mentioning that they were originally designed to drop nuclear bombs on Russia and then asked "Now that the Ukrainians have bombers capable of dropping nuclear bombs on Russia, what else will the Americans give them?"

I'm just surprised to have been recommended the same disinfo campaign from 3 separate sources when I've never had anything like the recommended before. Also it's such an obvious disinfo campaign it makes me wonder who they though would fall for it. Usually they try for a "both sides" type story or take real news a tweak it or take it out of context to make it seem plausible to a casual observer.

I'm quite certain that companies and countries grabbing data from the great algorithm occasionally throw ads and vids at people on the complete opposite side from them politically/socially etc just in case they manage to trick someone with some BS. My internet search history must be a litany of eco-friendly leftist utopia yet I still get recommended stuff from oil companies and strongly conservative speakers on occasion.

People don't usually fall for blatantly opposite material, but the unvigilant can be nudged slowly to any position with content that is adjacent but just a bit more right/left from their current position. Watching people fall surprisingly rapidly into anti-vax circles was a sad sight over the last 3 years.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is the B-52 even considered to be part of the triad anymore with the creation of the B-2 and the brand new B-21?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cr0y posted:

Is the B-52 even considered to be part of the triad anymore with the creation of the B-2 and the brand new B-21?
Not to get off topic, but apparently yes.

https://www.defense.gov/Multimedia/Experience/Americas-Nuclear-Triad/#air

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they make a good point, we should give ukraine a wing of b-52s and a bunch of cruise missiles to go with them

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

cr0y posted:

Yeah. There aren't too many B-2s and the B-52 has significantly larger payload capability. The B-21 isn't going to be a true replacement either if we see it in any numbers.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cr0y posted:

There are very few B-2's, and B-21 isn't fielded yet. B-52's are still planned to be in service up to the 2050's, I imagine the plan is to phase them out with B-21 but that plane still doesn't have the same payload capacity as the B52, it's more of a replacement for the B1.

Sorry this is a derail by now, more on topic Russia hit's unemployment low because surprise, every vaguely able-bodied male is currently trying to keep Bakmut in Russian hands:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/oth...2728d76a1&ei=19

EDIT: sorry for overlap on previous replies I was searching to add that more thread-relevant article

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're listening to podcasts about the war at all, don't miss out on this one. Based on the recent RUSI report about Russian adaptions, but it goes into a lot more detail.

https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-how-is-russia-adapting-its-tactics-in-ukraine/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Can you provide the channel names?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Djarum posted:

Yeah. There aren't too many B-2s and the B-52 has significantly larger payload capability. The B-21 isn't going to be a true replacement either if we see it in any numbers.

The numbers game for the B-21 is going to be giving each one a flock of UAVs. There's nothing stealthier than the radar pulse you used for a quick peek ahead of you coming from 20 miles from the pilot who pressed the button.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Orthanc6 posted:

I'm quite certain that companies and countries grabbing data from the great algorithm occasionally throw ads and vids at people on the complete opposite side from them politically/socially etc just in case they manage to trick someone with some BS. My internet search history must be a litany of eco-friendly leftist utopia yet I still get recommended stuff from oil companies and strongly conservative speakers on occasion.

People don't usually fall for blatantly opposite material, but the unvigilant can be nudged slowly to any position with content that is adjacent but just a bit more right/left from their current position. Watching people fall surprisingly rapidly into anti-vax circles was a sad sight over the last 3 years.

People will share stuff diametrically opposed to their beliefs. "Look at this crazy poo poo" is still spreading the crazy poo poo around where it can be encountered by people who might believe it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you provide the channel names?
RealGeneration86 is the only one I still had open in a tab.

This is the video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlPQLN8wp0

Shifty Pony posted:

People will share stuff diametrically opposed to their beliefs. "Look at this crazy poo poo" is still spreading the crazy poo poo around where it can be encountered by people who might believe it.
I've heard people say stuff like "Yeah it sounds crazy, but if that many people are saying it, maybe there's something to it."

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

putin can barely into a computer himself so...

About two years, whilst doing a PR visit, a schoolboy asked Putin to sign up to his Youtube channel.

He became visibility confused and wanted to know where the bit of paper he was being asked to sign was.

It had to be explained to him that Youtube was a website that people posted videos to.

EDIT: and speaking of Youtube:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've heard people say stuff like "Yeah it sounds crazy, but if that many people are saying it, maybe there's something to it."
Just check your viewing history if you ever watch a video and can't remember who/what it was.

I find it can also be useful to remove certain videos from it to prevent them poisoning your feed. I once accidentally clicked on a randomly promoted right wing commentator's video (it had a misleading title so I thought it was about something else). My feed was polluted for days until I excised it.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 1, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not only is America training Ukrainian pilots on B-52s and letting someone snap a picture from right next to the formation, they've already gone ahead and painted the Ukrainian flag on the vertical stabilizer!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Not only is America training Ukrainian pilots on B-52s and letting someone snap a picture from right next to the formation, they've already gone ahead and painted the Ukrainian flag on the vertical stabilizer!

Their previous two videos were "The US Is Secretly Delivering Dozens of A-10 Super Warthog Aircraft to Ukraine" and "Russia Outraged: Dozens of Ukrainian Pilots Successfully Bring Home F-16s from US Bases."

They claim to be based in the US while they write their description in broken English. Completely legitimate channel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's weird because several videos aren't in line with Russian propaganda goals either. I have no idea what its goals are other than maybe a simple view harvesting practice.

edit: yep, reverse GISing the channel logo reveals channels with similar logos for sale.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 1, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Disproportionate US escalation justifies everything Russia has done?"

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Deteriorata posted:

"Russia Outraged: Dozens of Ukrainian Pilots Successfully Bring Home F-16s from US Bases."

That sounds like the plot of a cheesy heist movie

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Someone let me know if I'm getting over my skis here, but I think maybe Russia had nothing to do with those videos.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

My Iron Eagle 5 script!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you're listening to podcasts about the war at all, don't miss out on this one. Based on the recent RUSI report about Russian adaptions, but it goes into a lot more detail.

https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-how-is-russia-adapting-its-tactics-in-ukraine/

The guest is Jack Watling, who was one of the authors of the RUSI (Royal United Services Institute) report linked a few pages back. He's an excellent analyst.

Deteriorata posted:

They claim to be based in the US while they write their description in broken English.
To be fair, plenty of my countrypeople struggle with basic English grammar. And that doesn't even include Americans who speak English as a second language!

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

EasilyConfused posted:

Family romcom of a fighter pilot who has to park his F-16 in the driveway for a few days, unknowingly on the same day the in-laws, who don't like him, are coming to visit. Movie opens up with the pilot accidently impaling the in-laws' car with the nose of the jet.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Hold on a second.. have they managed to fabricobble together some kind of way to use Warsaw pact radars in their jets with the AIM-7? I can't think of any GBAD systems that use Sparrow a la the AIM-120 in the NASAMS, unless they've managed to make the Sparrow work with the Buk launchers the way they did with RIM-7 Sea sparrow

Sparrow guidance is brain-dead simple. "Head straight at the thing in the radar beam".

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

why doesn't it mention the B1? It's still in active service unless Wikipedia is wrong.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Huggybear posted:

why doesn't it mention the B1? It's still in active service unless Wikipedia is wrong.

They aren’t equipped to carry nukes anymore.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

The guest is Jack Watling, who was one of the authors of the RUSI (Royal United Services Institute) report linked a few pages back. He's an excellent analyst.

It's a real good listen, especially for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to read full RUSI analysis reports. The thing that jumped out at me was the discussion on the current way tanks are being used. Obviously we all know now that the initial hot takes of "tanks are over" was garbage, but I wonder how design is going to evolve when the lessons of this conflict start being applied. What I mean is how "modern" tanks aren't really going to be used for fire-and-maneuver or breaching lines, but more for indirect fire and infantry support. I'll bet that the next generation of "MBT's" is going to look a lot more like a combo SPA/IFV than what it is now.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they make a good point, we should give ukraine a wing of b-52s and a bunch of cruise missiles to go with them

Or C-130s with Rapid Dragon.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Sparrow guidance is brain-dead simple. "Head straight at the thing in the radar beam".

Oh interesting I didn't realize it was quite that straightforward. I've only shot them in DCS without quite understanding how they work under the hood :derp:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a real good listen, especially for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to read full RUSI analysis reports. The thing that jumped out at me was the discussion on the current way tanks are being used. Obviously we all know now that the initial hot takes of "tanks are over" was garbage, but I wonder how design is going to evolve when the lessons of this conflict start being applied. What I mean is how "modern" tanks aren't really going to be used for fire-and-maneuver or breaching lines, but more for indirect fire and infantry support. I'll bet that the next generation of "MBT's" is going to look a lot more like a combo SPA/IFV than what it is now.

I'm not so sure that will be the case. We haven't seen the effectiveness of widespread active defense yet, albeit possibly due to selection bias. We also haven't seen large scale combined arms yet. With those two things, having tanks back in the close fight (1200m or less) may be more common.

I found the comments on thermal signature reduction tech really interesting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, I wonder what that entails too. Is it as simple as covering up your "hot spots" in a certain way or is there some new tech going into it? Also the bit about how time of day makes an impact on how well you show up on thermals was something that makes sense when you hear it but I never in a million years would have guessed was a thing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it but does it seem like they know a bit too well about how the Russian military operates? It seems crazy that they can say they've seen no evidence of forward instead of reactive planning unless they have a lot of access into the sort of manual and procedure updates being passed around.

You can certainly draw a lot of conclusions about what the Russians are currently doing because manuals get posted on telegram, or are written by civilians and adopted, or get captured, but some stuff feels like guy on the inside stuff. Like knowing that command in the rear echelon is tapped into civilian networks seem to imply that they were using cellphones and Ukrainians could intercept it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mederlock posted:

Oh interesting I didn't realize it was quite that straightforward. I've only shot them in DCS without quite understanding how they work under the hood :derp:

And there’s been some time spent on this. Integration efforts of RIM-7 were made public almost six months ago.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I see that #oryxpsyop is now trending on Twitter. People are calling it a psyop because there’s no way that Russia could be losing that much military equipment. It’s obviously a psyop to boost support for Ukraine to make people think they’re winning the war instead of teetering on the brink of annihilation.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I see that #oryxpsyop is now trending on Twitter. People are calling it a psyop because there’s no way that Russia could be losing that much military equipment. It’s obviously a psyop to boost support for Ukraine to make people think they’re winning the war instead of teetering on the brink of annihilation.

I have a feeling that #oryxpsyop is a... Psyop. I mean it's loving Twitter after all is there anyone left on there besides chuds and Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

open challenge to anyone to look through the destroyed stuff for duplicates. if you find any and pm them they'll remove it. I've gone through entire categories on there and there're basically zero duplicates (or even possible duplicates) on there. Things getting blown up tend to get blown up in ways that leave them extremely distinctly damaged.

ironically the comparable russian 'osint' armor tracker was documenting ukrainian losses to within 10% of the number that Oryx listed (at least last time I checked, ~ 6 months ago). i put osint in quotation marks there because they don't openly track russian losses of the main equipment type Russia is losing.

worth noting that oryx numbers are something of a floor and there are a bunch of factors that lead to stuff not getting documented and added to the count. stuff getting blown up by long range strikes especially.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 1, 2023