Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's a part of me that kinda wants a first and only badge tattoo. It looks cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man I wish they did mid-tier premium editions. Maybe just an alt cover and a handful of fun pack-ins, like the old collector's editions before they escalated.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm interested in Rath's Cadia book. His style, insofar as I can tell from reading his two books, doesn't seem to fit the grimdarkness of fall of Cadia. He's also not an author who's done large scale action yet - the action parts of his assassin/Knight book worked well because the conflict was small enough that he had a complete grasp of it. He might be able to carry it off with aplomb, but a fight between 3 assassins and loyalist Knights vs a couple dozen Chaos Knights is a lot different than a whole planet invasion or even the fall of a single Kasr. Assassinorum: Kingmaker and The Infinite and the Divine were two personal faves of the 20+ BL books I've read, though, so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Also, geez, I've read that many 40K books?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I wonder how many I've read. 60 or something?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

I wonder how many I've read. 60 or something?

*nervously looks at audible collection* I may have a problem.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I severely underestimated how many warhams books I've read, just Ciaphas Cain and Gaunts Ghosts takes me well past twenty. What I've read from Chris Wraight and Peter Fehervari take me past 30. I'm probably sitting at ~40. And that's while having only read two Horus Heresy books (Know No Fear and TEATD1).

Reminds me of when I was reading the Discworld novels and devoured something like 20 of them in a summer without realizing it.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I severely underestimated how many warhams books I've read, just Ciaphas Cain and Gaunts Ghosts takes me well past twenty. What I've read from Chris Wraight and Peter Fehervari take me past 30. I'm probably sitting at ~40. And that's while having only read two Horus Heresy books (Know No Fear and TEATD1).

Reminds me of when I was reading the Discworld novels and devoured something like 20 of them in a summer without realizing it.

I'm somewhere around there. Every once in a while I think of checking and decide I'd rather not know.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm interested in Rath's Cadia book. His style, insofar as I can tell from reading his two books, doesn't seem to fit the grimdarkness of fall of Cadia. He's also not an author who's done large scale action yet - the action parts of his assassin/Knight book worked well because the conflict was small enough that he had a complete grasp of it. He might be able to carry it off with aplomb, but a fight between 3 assassins and loyalist Knights vs a couple dozen Chaos Knights is a lot different than a whole planet invasion or even the fall of a single Kasr. Assassinorum: Kingmaker and The Infinite and the Divine were two personal faves of the 20+ BL books I've read, though, so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Also, geez, I've read that many 40K books?

Don't forget Trazyn was at Cadia when it fell so Rath writing it could mean we get some significant new Trazyn POVs from him.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That would just be pages of him acting like the fall was a buffet.

Which....wouldn't be that bad.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He was definitely there to get him some prime collector's items but he also went to actually help out. He believed that Abaddon winning would be the end of the Necrons as well. He assisted the party that left Cadia to go to Guilliman and wake him up. Rath did a short story where Trazyn breaks into the Celestial Orrery to get information on the great rift breaking open and he castigates the dynasty there for sitting back and watching when the events on Cadia are going to be just as bad for the Necrons as the humans.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Relevant excerpt from the short story:

quote:

He stopped. His oculars had needed a moment to adjust, his central processing spools to absorb enough of the Celestial Orrery to make sense of it. But now that he did, the horror came upon him.
‘You fools.’
‘Keep your voice low,’ whispered Zotha.
Trazyn’s hands tightened on the barge rail until it groaned and dented under the pressure. ‘You utter, utter fools.’
It was as if a saw had slashed the galaxy’s throat. Star networks bled, the space around them inflamed like traumatised flesh.
A crimson fissure, like an infection creeping down a vein, spread below the surface of the galaxy. No one would notice it, even living directly within the red cloud, but it was as real as an internal haemorrhage.
And it stemmed from the great wound in the galaxy. A wound torn open by the Old Ones during the War in Heaven, stitched closed by his kind, and ripped open again by the reckless aeldari.
The place the humans called the Eye of Terror. Which seemed poised to trigger the fault line and split the galaxy in two.
Trazyn wheeled on them, voice low. ‘This did not happen recently – it has been building. And yet you did not warn anyone. You let it fester.’
‘I do not expect you to understand,’ said Dzukar. ‘Only after aeons of taking in the Orrery, of looking at this perfect mirror of the cosmos, could you begin to grasp the burden that comes with it. Stay long enough and you will see a thousand species emerge and die. Witness how cataclysms bring destruction and renewal. Yet still the cosmic wheel turns.’
‘The Tomb-Killer is not merely invading. He has been weakening our defences against the psychic dimension. If reality splits open, it will change the galaxy’s very shape. Tomb worlds will be snuffed out along with mortal ones. Even this Orrery might–’
‘This Orrery is light years from the nearest point that will be impacted. So is Solemnace, as it happens. You act as though we are responsible for the entire galaxy. We are not. We are merely responsible for the Orrery.’
‘You are condemning worlds to obliteration. You might as well feed them to the Destroyers at the gate.’
‘We are letting nature take its course. It is not our place to intervene. This is an ethical imperative.’ Dzukar took a step forward, straightening to his full height and raising his arms at the grandiosity around him. ‘Behold what is around you, Trazyn of Solemnace. We are custodians of the cosmic order, not its engineers. Our place is to stand vigil and observe the exquisite clockwork of–’
Trazyn’s fist slammed into his skull, hard enough to bash in part of his long death mask and split his ocular in a delta of cracks. Stars shivered with the force of the blow.
Trazyn stepped forward, leaning over the chief technomancer, who had only stayed upright because Observationer Zotha had caught him. He symbolically static-spat on the Oruscar cartouche in the cryptek’s ribcage.
‘That is what I think of your ethical imperative. Now, take me back to the outer chamber.’
‘What will you do?’ asked Zotha, her vocal emitter warbling in fear at the act of desecration.
‘I will go to the world whose name we’ve forgotten, the world the humans know as Cadia, and try to fix the damage your ethics have done.’
‘Why?’ Ashenti sneered. ‘Do they need a thief?’
‘No,’ said Trazyn.
He snapped his fingers, and Huntmaster stepped out of the air, bowing low to present Trazyn with his empathic obliterator.
‘They need a saviour,’ Trazyn said, taking the weapon and igniting its headpiece with a crackle of etheric energy. ‘And until their God-Emperor rises, I will have to suffice."

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm somewhere around there. Every once in a while I think of checking and decide I'd rather not know.

Well, I checked, and I wished I hadn't. Trust your instincts. It's 70+ for me.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

Well, I checked, and I wished I hadn't. Trust your instincts. It's 70+ for me.

This is what I'm actually afraid of

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lol I'm well over 200. Somebody help.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Do the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Magos omnibuses count as one each? Because that's going to be a factor for me...

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

D-Pad posted:

The Emperor helps those who help themselves.

Also, holy poo poo, that has to include a lot of outright bad books, right? Are you counting novellas?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I am counting novellas, but not individual short stories. I've read every single published Novel/Novella/Anthology for the Horus Heresy and Siege which is probably 80+ books. 95% of what has been released since 2017 and then a massive piece of books released prior. There have been some dogshit books, but for whatever reason I am an absolute sucker for this setting. It's endlessly fascinating to me and it's perfect for turning my brain off and just enjoying some pulpy fiction. I read a lot, 1-2 novels a week on average, so the size of the library is nice when I feel like I can't find anything new to read that interests me in regular scifi/fantasy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Rath is when you need just a little bit of wisecracking in 40k.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm definitely in the 150+ range myself. I don't even really regret it, even the bad stuff has its charm (well, maybe not the salamanders books...)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If you had endured most of the HH, then you are close to the hundred books for sure. The relevant question is, how many of all those warhamms books were actually good or worth your time? Maybe don't answer that if you get depressed easily.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cawl and Trazyn meeting on Cadia in Battlefleet Gothic 2 was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchkkpJ5OJQ

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Wait did Cadia fall?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Benagain posted:

Wait did Cadia fall?

Yeah, some things happened

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My black library read count is 7 now I've listened to Malleus. I didn't like it as much as the first one - the pacing felt quite uneven and I didn't love the time jump. I'm guessing it was added to accommodate other stories Abnett wrote in the intervening period?

Still enjoyed it and will listen to the 3rd book, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Cawl and Trazyn meeting on Cadia in Battlefleet Gothic 2 was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchkkpJ5OJQ

Cawl calling anything else an abomination is hilarious

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Benagain posted:

Wait did Cadia fall?

Too much chaos.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cawl calling anything else an abomination is hilarious

"You're a blasphemy against the sacred human form", says Cawl, the man who is living in his Nth borrowed body that has been built out into a 20 foot long mechanical abomination.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Benagain posted:

Wait did Cadia fall?

Cadia going boom is more or less the reason why the galaxy is split in twain.

No idea how many Warhammer books I've read in total, but definitely hovering somewhere in the mid 50's of them. If I had a steady income I probably would've bought more, but now I do that very sparingly.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Benagain posted:

Wait did Cadia fall?

Imagine if you had a Death Star and you just rammed it into Cadia while a death metal song plays. You are now Abaddon.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Also there's a robot throwing pokeballs around.

Finally counted, if you split up omnibi I'm somewhere in the 90s.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Where is this from? I need it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

notaspy posted:

Where is this from? I need it

A Robert Rath short story called The Bleeding Stars. I think it was released as one of those $2.99 e-shorts at some point.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I'm about halfway through vaults of Terra carrion throne audio book. And I recently looked at some reviews for it and lmao some reviews hate what I enjoy the most about it namely the vast time spent describing the setting of Terra. Love all of the description of the incomprehensible toil and rot of a world with 10k years of grim dark built ontop of itself. I assume 12 year Olds wrote those reviews.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Oh this is pretty new so I haven’t read it. February this year, sick

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I read Lords of Silence.

I don't think anything BL has done or ever will do is going to top the Death Guard heroes striking a critical blow on a planet's defenses by having their entire ship literally, literally take a dump down the barrel of a Mechanicus macro-cannon.

Well done, Wraight. You won.

speaking of,

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm about halfway through vaults of Terra carrion throne audio book. And I recently looked at some reviews for it and lmao some reviews hate what I enjoy the most about it namely the vast time spent describing the setting of Terra. Love all of the description of the incomprehensible toil and rot of a world with 10k years of grim dark built ontop of itself. I assume 12 year Olds wrote those reviews.

Like the entire loving point of those books is the utterly gorgeous writing on what Terra's like, both through the characters' experiences and through long and wonderful paragraphs describing the place. Those reviewers are idiots.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kinda stoked about more books covering the fall of Cadia tbh

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Kinda stoked about more books covering the fall of Cadia tbh

Hold on how many books were written about this

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Benagain posted:

Hold on how many books were written about this

There's like 1 medium good one

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

There's one campaign supplement that came out at the end of 7th ed that's available via WH+ nowadays, and then there's Cadia Stands. Which is an aggressively okay book in my eyes, but not interesting enough for me to bother finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

Do the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Magos omnibuses count as one each? Because that's going to be a factor for me...

gently caress, I somehow forgot to count those. I'm at around 50, not 40.