Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

nobody knows how to unturn that key even without the PTSD. even if it was free it wouldn't make much of a difference

Yeah having troops kill undesirables on the streets is a bonus to the people that run our society, not a sign that it is sick and twisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well yeah but my point is even if they weren't sick and twisted and wanted to train the troop out of vets, they can't. the technology just doesn't exist

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

lol those kids are like 13 and half girls, those marines are a buncha pussies, who yells at some 13 year olds having fun at the beach? goddamn

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Maed posted:

lol those kids are like 13 and half girls, those marines are a buncha pussies, who yells at some 13 year olds having fun at the beach? goddamn

went to a birthday party full of college girls and the marine my connect brought in refused to shut the gently caress up when the organizer was trying to address the crowd and we had to drag him out as she started crying

biggest assholes on the planet

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you be the judge

https://twitter.com/redvoiceray/status/1663541093491945473?s=20

I found in three seconds by googling "marine beatdown site:twitter.com"

Lmao gently caress em up

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you be the judge

Suplex our troops.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you be the judge

new marines are woke and it's cool when they get wrecked

https://twitter.com/MoMoney60915168/status/1663554778222440454

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my grandpa was in the navy around that time and he hated marines to his dying day. he didnt even call them marines, he called them stowaways

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
smedly "woke" butler

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ELTON JOHN posted:

The comments on that tweet are absolutely insane lol. Some piece of poo poo tried to attack a tiny girl and got stomped and left crying on the ground and they're baying for blood. Deranged

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hatebag posted:

The comments on that tweet are absolutely insane lol. Some piece of poo poo tried to attack a tiny girl and got stomped and left crying on the ground and they're baying for blood. Deranged

The old hate the young

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

ELTON JOHN posted:

Marines everywhere on the internet now passionately arguing about how they would have abused the children differently and won. Best memorial day weekend ever.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

semper cry

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KomradeX posted:

Looks like the cops have arrested 9 teenagers for the crime of being tougher than Marines

someone in the schad thread was gloating about this because they had an “incident” with the same group of kids…when the kids were in grade 8

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

someone in the schad thread was gloating about this because they had an “incident” with the same group of kids…when the kids were in grade 8

That's loving pathetic

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Those children are heroes. Free them. Now we have something to celebrate on memorial day.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
A former Australian soldier tried to sue three newspapers for defamation for alleging that he committed war crimes. Anyway, it backfired because he lost his case today:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1664134431487975424

quote:

Australia's most-decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith has lost a historic defamation case against three newspapers that accused him of war crimes in Afghanistan.

The outlets were sued over articles alleging he killed unarmed prisoners.

The civil trial was the first time a court has assessed accusations of war crimes by Australian forces.

A judge said four of the six murder allegations - all denied by the soldier - were substantially true.

Justice Anthony Besanko found the newspapers had not been able to prove other reports that he assaulted a woman with whom he was having an affair, or that he had threatened to report a junior colleague if he did not falsify field reports. Additional allegations of bullying were found to be true, however.

Mr Roberts-Smith has not been charged over any of the claims and no findings have been made against him in a criminal court, where there is a higher burden of proof. The 44-year-old was not present for Thursday's judgement.

An elite Special Air Service (SAS) soldier, Mr Roberts-Smith is Australia's most famous living war veteran.

He received the country's highest military award - the Victoria Cross - in 2011 for having single-handedly overpowered Taliban machine-gunners who had been attacking his platoon.

But Mr Roberts-Smith's public image was tarnished in 2018 when The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Canberra Times started publishing articles about his misconduct between 2009 and 2012.
During the trial, the elite soldier argued five of the killings reported by the newspapers had occurred legally during combat, and the sixth did not happen at all.

Justice Besanko found the media outlets had not proven two allegations, but upheld their reporting on four murders.

These included:

A handcuffed farmer the soldier had kicked off a cliff - a fall which knocked out the man's teeth, before he was subsequently shot dead

A captured Taliban fighter who was shot at least 10 times in the back, before his prosthetic leg was taken as a trophy and later used by troops as a drinking vessel

Two murders which were ordered by Mr Roberts-Smith to initiate or "blood" rookie soldiers.

A top soldier's defamation case rocks Australia
Outside court, the outlets called the judgement a "vindication" for their reporting.

Investigative reporter Nick McKenzie - who wrote the stories alongside Chris Masters and David Wroe - summed it up in one word: "justice".

"It's a day of justice for the brave men of the SAS who stood up and told the truth about who Ben Roberts-Smith is: a war criminal, a bully and a liar."
"[And] today is a day of some small justice for The Afghan victims of Ben Roberts-Smith."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm glad he lost and all but I'd be damned if I ever claimed my newspaper not paying out a lawsuit counted as any measure of "justice" for the murdered victims of a war criminal

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
so he's going to be charged with murder then right

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

so he's going to be charged with murder then right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the article makes it a point to remind the reader that the standard for guilt in a civil trial isn't as high

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sarge it's my turn to drink from the dead fellow's plastic leg. vanderchuck's been using it all week and he won't share!

vanderchuck, give mcellens the leg and let him have a turn

eeewwwwww. ssssaaaaarrrrggggeeeeee, he spit in it!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Koishi Komeiji posted:

The video of the battle of San Clemente Pier is out and the marine is absolutely the instigator. He rushes the crowd and goes from standing to fetal position in like 0.001 seconds :patriot:

the news coverage also left out the earlier footage of the marines groping 14 year old girls, which if you’ve ever been in any public space around a marine base isn’t exactly surprising

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

It was too late. His finger squeezed the trigger and the man fell. Tilley felt his heart pounding as he waited for the body to move, but it lay still. (During a later search of the Afghan, it was found he was carrying a mobile phone, indicating his status as an insurgent.)

This fawning article is not about the war criminal, it is about one of our brave heroes who told the truth about him on the witness stand :thunk:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Quote is not edit

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

indigi posted:

I'm glad he lost and all but I'd be damned if I ever claimed my newspaper not paying out a lawsuit counted as any measure of "justice" for the murdered victims of a war criminal

Looks like he's on the hook for a bill of over a million dollars, which isn't much as punishments for such deeds, but it's something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This fawning article is not about the war criminal, it is about one of our brave heroes who told the truth about him on the witness stand :thunk:

obviously summary execution is the only proper punishment for the heinous crime of carrying a nokia while afghan

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

obviously summary execution is the only proper punishment for the heinous crime of carrying a nokia while afghan

Nokia? How about no-be-a? :blastu:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I said it already but I can't get over how this guy is the heroic subject of the article, one of our brave boys who held the evil war criminal to account in court because he had the integrity to be devoted to the truth

quote:

It was a job the pugnacious soldier with a broad, boyish face relished. He was built like a classic old-school SAS operator: six foot and with a physical presence that belied his lithe build and mischievous grin.

quote:

He appeared to be carrying something. If the man exited and turned towards Tilley, he would see the Australians and possibly engage them.

If he moved the opposite way, Tilley could avoid taking his life.

“Don’t f---ing turn our way,” Tilley whispered to himself, heart racing. “Don’t …”

quote:

Tilley was resolute in his response. If he was subpoenaed to the Federal Court or to the Brereton inquiry into war crimes in Afghanistan, he would be telling the truth.

“I’m not going to lie on the stand. The truth is the only thing that will protect me.”

and he, and I guess all of Australian society, sees nothing wrong with saying every mobile phone carrying person is a legitimate target, and killing them is something our brave and noble troops regret but have no choice about for the greater good

Total mystery why one rogue bad apple might go off and ruin the military's reputation by doing a bunch of war crimes

Weka
May 5, 2019

In 2009, 37% of people in Afghanistan had cellphones.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

In 2009, 37% of people in Afghanistan had cellphones.

drat, that's a lot of terrorists

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Meanwhile...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2022-04-01/disillusioned-russian-troops-killing-ukrainians-for-their-cellphones-official

quote:

Russian troops fighting in Ukraine are seizing local civilians’ cellphones en masse – and in some cases killing them if they refuse – in what several officials describe as a systematic attempt to gain access to outside information and exact brutal punishments against Ukrainians.
"The Russian military is trying in every way to seize the mobile phones of Ukrainian citizens,” Ukrainian army Lt. Col. Eduard Rodionov says, “resorting to physical violence and sometimes murder.”
"Russians seize phones to once again express hatred toward Ukrainians, to show off the results of looting,” Rodionov says

How could russians do something so monstrous

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Assuming any part of that is true

Weka
May 5, 2019

I mean, it's probably true that some Russian soldiers stole cellphones from some Ukrainian civilians, but as to how systematic it is or whether anyone has decided they would rather get shot than give up their phone and then that happened idk

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the rude San Clemente teens got an account going to document that lo and behold the marines were violent assholes and routinely cruising the pier for underage teens

https://www.instagram.com/get_the_truth_out/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Jun 2, 2023

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
who in the world uses instagram. lord help these kids use a better app after they throw the pedophilic marines down the nearest mine shaft

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish someone would take my phone away, really we should be praising the russians

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

contrast mao admonishing people who struggled through the long march and fought the japanese and the british and the kuomintang to liberate their country and their people not to rest on their laurels with are troops raping children and murdering and looting to enrich oil companies and expecting to be treated like little princesses for their service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
there was a journal of a japanese soldier in a chinese pow camp posted i think maybe in this thread at one point and about how they were treated. if anyone remembers that and has it on hand please repost it. i think i saved it somewhere so i'll try looking. anyway it was a good read