Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Good for content and all I guess, but stopping right after I see a missile pile drive itself into the street a few feet away would be just about the complete opposite of my priorities at that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Good for content and all I guess, but stopping right after I see a missile pile drive itself into the street a few feet away would be just about the complete opposite of my priorities at that moment.

Can’t make it as an influencer if you won’t do a TikTok dance in a missile barrage

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's a large "fragment" the size of a small fragment

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember talking to an E-6 in a different company in our battalion during our deployment who looked like he had aged 10 years in the six months since we left Germany.

I mentioned that fact to someone and they told me that in their first month in Tikrit, a mortar literally landed between him and the guy in front of him in line for the DFAC, and just sat there poking out of the dirt.

A literal "and his hair turned white overnight" anecdote

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, I can kind of get it. The actual danger is past, all that’s left is dawning horror as you start to consider where to move next.

Probably similar to the way we used to talk poo poo to whoever was launching rockets at my FOB in Afghanistan. If you lived/they didn’t hit anything of note, their aim sucked, way to waste your rockets shitbags! If you died, it’s no longer your problem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

I mean, I can kind of get it. The actual danger is past, all that’s left is dawning horror as you start to consider where to move next.

Probably similar to the way we used to talk poo poo to whoever was launching rockets at my FOB in Afghanistan. If you lived/they didn’t hit anything of note, their aim sucked, way to waste your rockets shitbags! If you died, it’s no longer your problem.

That would be my concern, that the actual danger is not past. If I saw that clip happening in front of me in real life I would not be thinking "that was a big fragment" I would be thinking "oh gently caress it just hasn't exploded yet"

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dashcams are pretty ubiquitous in EE

Also someone could have been hurt and needed help?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

psydude posted:

Because the radios are broadcasting, instead of unicasting. There's no way for one radio to perform an asymmetric key exchange with the rest of the radio network, since the radios are moving around and are in and out of contact with one another. If the stations were all fixed, then you could make it work (and I'm sure this has been done), but keep in mind that asymmetric cryptography means you have to establish a unique preshared key with every single other endpoint you're talking to, rather than a common preshared key that everyone can understand by default. And since it's a military application, you don't want your radios continuously broadcasting something like an SSID, which COULD be used for this purpose, because it would make triangulation very easy.

As for AES, it's just the cipher suite. It doesn't mandate use of asymmetric encryption.

necroreplying, but cryptographic systems are built out of several primitives. you don't use AES encryption, you use a cryptographic system that leverages AES along with many other components. the entire dance is incredibly complex, e.g.: https://tls13.xargs.org/

small flaws anywhere along the chain, either in the protocol or a specific implementation, can gently caress the entire system. there are plenty of real-world exploits that amount to "the system will just use the 'do no encryption' algorithm if you ask it nicely". while im not intimately familiar with military implementations, i figure they suffer from many of the same problems that affect general-purpose public cryptosystems (in Pentagon Wars fashion, military procurement can very much be design by committee hell, just in a cloistered environment). to wit, expert commentary on a major public cryptosystem:

quote:

In February 1999, we performed an evaluation of IPsec based on the November 1998 RFCs for IPsec [KA98c, KA98a, MG98a, MG98b, MD98, KA98b, Pip98,MSST98, HC98, GK98, TDG98, PA98]. Our evaluation focused primarily onthe cryptographic properties of IPsec. We concentrated less on the integration aspects of IPsec, as neither of us is intimately familiar with typical IP implementations,

IPsec was a great disappointment to us. Given the quality of the people that worked on it and the time that was spent on it, we expected a much better result. We are not alone in this opinion; from various discussions with the people involved, we learned that virtually nobody is satisfied with the process or the result. The development of IPsec seems to have been burdened by the committee process that it was forced to use, and it shows in the results. Even with all the serious critisisms that we have on IPsec, it is probably the best IP security protocol available at the moment.

Our main criticism of IPsec is its complexity. IPsec contains too many options and too much flexibility; there are often several ways of doing the same or similar things. This is a typical committee effect. Committees are notorious for adding features, options, and additional flexibility to satisfy various factions within the committee. As we all know, this additional complexity and bloat is seriously detrimental to a normal (functional) standard. However, it has a devastating effect on a security standard.

i would hazard a guess that commodity-ish military encryption hardware suffers from needing to appease multiple clients and standards. that poo poo has holes because some loving customer demanded a weird alternate mode of operation that got a half-baked implementation to close the sale

to the extent that Russia NSA still exists (Gorbachev and Yeltsin intentionally eviscerated the KGB, and its SIGINT capacities got sliced and diced up among different successor agencies) they are 100% tasked with finding all the stupid exploit loopholes they can. the HUMINT side isn't doing nothing, but neither is the SIGINT side. steal keys, break systems, whichever works

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

if you even think you might be interested in this sort of thing you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not reading the YOSPOS security thread.

TLDR:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, FWIW, share the criticisms of IPSec. I run a few site to site tunnels using it and the sheer amount of redundant (and unsafe!) options you can choose is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if you could accidentally select to encrypt your traffic with ROT16 (or ROT256 :v:)

e: Reading an IT sec thread is unwise, it just leads you to the correct conclusion that everything is incredibly hosed and it's a miracle that society hasn't collapsed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Victis posted:

Dashcams are pretty ubiquitous in EE

Also someone could have been hurt and needed help?

Or more usually someone jumped in front of your car in an attempt at insurance fraud.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1663985396294795288

30-second video of Ukrainian troops shooting a Lanzet loitering munition out of the air(reportedly, it's too far away to see the details but something DEFINITELY explodes well off the surface in the area the soldiers are shooting at). It's a bit hard to see, but I believea pump-action shotgun may be one of the last things that fires before it detonates in the air, making this the most hardcore skeet shoot I've ever seen.

No injuries or suggestions of injuries are shown, just dudes blasting a drone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Antigravitas posted:

e: Reading an IT sec thread is unwise, it just leads you to the correct conclusion that everything is incredibly hosed and it's a miracle that society hasn't collapsed

Also reasons not to study ecology, climatology, economics, history, poli sci, sociology, anthropology... hell, fill in the blank.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Antigravitas posted:

I mean, if you look at society writ large, this conclusion applies. If everyone just decided to stop following the rules it would simply all go to poo poo in days if not hours. Best not to think about it too hard.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
like nearly everything, if someone (and especially when 'someone' includes actual nation-state actors) really is invested in doing something they'll probably eventually find a way to do it. at best you can just make it very hard and very expensive

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're listening to podcasts about the war at all, don't miss out on this one. Based on the recent RUSI report about Russian adaptions, but it goes into a lot more detail.

https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-how-is-russia-adapting-its-tactics-in-ukraine/

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

PurpleXVI posted:

30-second video of Ukrainian troops shooting a Lanzet loitering munition out of the air(reportedly, it's too far away to see the details but something DEFINITELY explodes well off the surface in the area the soldiers are shooting at). It's a bit hard to see, but I believea pump-action shotgun may be one of the last things that fires before it detonates in the air, making this the most hardcore skeet shoot I've ever seen.

Rednecks with semi auto shotguns are viable close-range drone defense.... I love it.

Wasn't there a similar effect with ww2 bomber gunners being mostly country boys that understood windage because they grew up shooting stuff at distance for dinner?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2023/05/31/dara-massicot-believes-that-russia-faces-twin-personnel-crises-in-its-armed-forces

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1663982757687509026?s=20

Things aren't going to be pretty for Russian veterans, if they ever get to demobilize.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, if you look at society writ large, this conclusion applies. If everyone just decided to stop following the rules it would simply all go to poo poo in days if not hours. Best not to think about it too hard.

The problem with computer security is basically that damage is not limited by proximity (for stuff connected to the internet) and that it's much harder to get it wrong than get it right (luckily figuring out it's wrong is often non-trivial).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tiny posted:

Rednecks with semi auto shotguns are viable close-range drone defense.... I love it.

Wasn't there a similar effect with ww2 bomber gunners being mostly country boys that understood windage because they grew up shooting stuff at distance for dinner?

The training for aerial gunners involved riding around in a tiny minecart, shooting at clays with Remington Model 11 and Savage 720 semi-auto shotguns.

Shotgun sports have always been fairly popular in the US, even more so then.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Somewhere, the spirit of an American Doughboy is nodding with approval.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

A.o.D. posted:

Somewhere, the spirit of an American Doughboy is nodding with approval.

The Red Baron was semi-famously killed by a golden BB 303 rifle shot from the ground. Ghost Doughboys who shot at biplanes would be real, real proud of this sort of thing, agree :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny posted:

The Red Baron was semi-famously killed by a golden BB 303 rifle shot from the ground. Ghost Doughboys who shot at biplanes would be real, real proud of this sort of thing, agree :)

I was speaking more about the battlefield legend of shooting grenades out of the air with trenchguns, but that's good too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When he brought up the pump shotgun I audibly said "oh cmon man" but loving joke's on me, blyat

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you ever want to see the viability of shotguns on aerial targets, just go shoot some clays. Or go look at dudes from a local club shoot clays. When you see dudes laying waste to 50 mph targets arcing through the air 2 at a time like it ain't poo poo, then you get it.

Or I think in a previous post in dealing with drones, I said: "load can"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

not caring here posted:

If you ever want to see the viability of shotguns on aerial targets, just go shoot some clays. Or go look at dudes from a local club shoot clays. When you see dudes laying waste to 50 mph targets arcing through the air 2 at a time like it ain't poo poo, then you get it.

Or I think in a previous post in dealing with drones, I said: "load can"

Fedral FLITECONTROL is a motherfucker.

The UA got a couple hundred M1014s a while back.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Somewhere, a defense contractor with dreams of dollar signs is mulling a new FCS for the XM-25 that grafts on a little radar set to control the airburst ranging for anti-drone work.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tiny posted:

Suck a duck you hun bastard -- your pizza sucks too!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Arrath posted:

Somewhere, a defense contractor with dreams of dollar signs is mulling a new FCS for the XM-25 that grafts on a little radar set to control the airburst ranging for anti-drone work.

:flashfap:

That would be pretty cool

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1664154882360717314

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

According to knowledgeable people in the D&D thread this dude is clickbaity and unreliable.

:lol: if true though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wasabi the J posted:

Suck a duck you hun bastard -- your pizza sucks too!

Lancet pizza just doesn’t work

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Twitter rumour has it that the legion rides again across the border. Very unconfirmed so far though so :shrug:

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1664198359412817921?t=mYwCXUnakF6_E51lta-_SA&s=19

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, the reason nobody tried to build a bridge before 2014 is that the seabed is soft and unsuitable and any bridge you build there is going to be constantly trying to fall into the sea.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ah if I'm understanding correctly then, a bridge is a type of helicopter?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ah if I'm understanding correctly then, a bridge is a type of helicopter?

Yes, but a solid state helicopter.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

Yes, but a solid state helicopter.

The worst type. It doesn’t even fly, it’s an ambush predator that waits for its prey to come close. A different type than the normal helo, but just as willing to drop you to your doom.

Engineering is a dark art that takes many forms, all of which are blasphemous.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

(Russia Today voice) it is unsurprising that nazis are burning books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I live in Pittsburgh, this is fine.

For context, this happened down the street from me the morning that Biden visited to talk about infrastructure :tinfoil: