Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Probably Magic posted:

Hey, man, I figured this post was worth ten of my dollars over to say that, in the spirit of this person's posts, perhaps this website should consider severing their relationship with this poster. Okay, thanks, have a blessed day.
The ignore button is right there.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/30/tara-reade-defects-russia-biden

quote:

We need systemic change. So participate in that process and try to take command of your democracy if you want a democracy, because right now it's in disarray," Reade said, addressing her fellow Americans. "And that's the problem. And as far as like going to another safe haven, I mean, there are many Americans here, and I don't want to out a bunch of Americans, but there are people here that are coming to Russia - much like back in the day when Soviet Union people defected over to the US - now you have the opposite. Now you have US and European citizens looking for safe haven here. And luckily, the Kremlin is accommodating. So we're lucky."

Reade said: “To my Russian brothers and sisters, I’m sorry right now that American elites are choosing to have such an aggressive stance. Just know that most American citizens do want to be friends and hope that we can have unity again.

“I am enjoying my time in Moscow, and I feel very at home.”

She is a terrible, lovely person who shills for a fascist, genocidal dictator. That happens to be an obvious truth.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I agree with PM. It’s laughable DarkCrawler got only a sixer with an obfuscated probe reason for “I don’t care if she was raped” and doubling down on it. That should be :10bux: at the least. And I’ll eat the probe for posting obvious truths where they don’t belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

Per the CBS live stream of the Debt Ceiling vote: Votes are still trickling in for both sides, but this doesn't look good.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/456/text/rh?overview=closed&format=xml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmq_6isL-7c

E: Wait, no Dems voted in favor? Is Res 456 not the Debt Ceiling increase? Or is this just a vote on an amendment?

It's a rule package to put the bill up to vote later. A pre-vote if you will. Traditionally it's party line regardless of what the bill is. Dems are waiting to see exactly how many votes they'll need to add, at which point they'll log the rest of their votes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Actually it rules that one of the D&D super stars is very public and loud about their position that anyone to the right of them is free game to be tortured and abused. Let him cook.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zeron posted:

It's a rule package to put the bill up to vote later. A pre-vote if you will. Traditionally it's party line regardless of what the bill is. Dems are waiting to see exactly how many votes they'll need to add, at which point they'll log the rest of their votes.

Ah, thank you. I thought this was the actual vote and that dems torpedoed the bill and the economy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Actually it rules that one of the D&D super stars is very public and loud about their position that anyone to the right of them is free game to be tortured and abused. Let him cook.

That is not my position, as always, it is a shrill, hyperbolic lie about my position. Crimes should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law no matter who they are committed upon. Doesn't mean I need to sympathize with the victim when they are a terrible person. She's betraying more rape victims than one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus christ

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

From this post I have inferred that a D&D superstar is someone who constantly gets dunked on by a coalition of both D&D and CSPAM regulars for their lovely views.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“To my Russian brothers and sisters, I’m sorry right now that American elites are choosing to have such an aggressive stance. Just know that most American citizens do want to be friends and hope that we can have unity again.“

Never met a permanent U.S. immigrant to Russia that wasn’t a political loon, nazi, or sex tourist, meanwhile we’ve got a russian community centre here in a third rate city

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

From this post I have inferred that a D&D superstar is someone who constantly gets dunked on by a coalition of both D&D and CSPAM regulars for their lovely views.

Over and over again with no intervention to stop it and seeming to encourage the insane ranting threads about their unified theory to destroy Republicans.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

That is not my position, as always, it is a shrill, hyperbolic lie about my position. Crimes should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law no matter who they are committed upon. Doesn't mean I need to sympathize with the victim when they are a terrible person. She's betraying more rape victims than one.

How is Reade "betraying... rape victims"?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Over and over again with no intervention to stop it and seeming to encourage the insane ranting threads about their unified theory to destroy Republicans.

Sure but I don't know why that makes them a D&D superstar. I would describe them as a D&D street preacher if anything. I look away and pretend I'm on my phone whenever they show up in the thread.

e: hence wish, Staluigi :(

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 31, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Lol "d&d superstar status" now achievable

Professor Beetus posted:

I wish he would get green-pilled and start lobbying for expunging records of people convicted for weed possession/dealing etc, but lmao

Yeah expecting too much from the guy who eventually voted for trump to get the trump judges, he is all about it for the Right People

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

World Famous W posted:

are you really comparing the moral calculus of pursrchasing a recreational something made by a company headed by a creep to if you'll support a creep to be a political leader of some sort?

Right? You’d think the later actually matters and the former would be hand-waved as ultimately nbd, but here it’s the reverse. Who knows, man.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Speaking as a D&D megastar(above superstar) I support chain-probating of people who are assholes about rape victims, or outright bans.

Not posting about posters, this is my general position.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Turns out Trump was caught on tape discussing crimes, whaaaa?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics/trump-tape-classified-document-iran-milley/index.html

quote:

Federal prosecutors have obtained an audio recording of a summer 2021 meeting in which former President Donald Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran, multiple sources told CNN, undercutting his argument that he declassified everything.

The recording indicates Trump understood he retained classified material after leaving the White House, according to multiple sources familiar with the investigation. On the recording, Trump’s comments suggest he would like to share the information but he’s aware of limitations on his ability post-presidency to declassify records, two of the sources said.

Goes on to say Trump wanted to use the document to claim he didn’t want to attack Iran and that Mark Milley was pushing for it. Document was not authored by Milley. Trump wanted to push back on reporting Milley was reminding the Pentagon in the last days of the administration not to illegally start any wars if Trump ordered them.

I am only speculating but it sounds like a document laying out contingencies in the event of war which Trump was kept and was bullshitting about.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Can we get some kind of stand-in thread for QCS for these meta discussions about posting?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Push El Burrito posted:

I moved to Arizona this year specifically to vote against Sinema.

Now that's dedication!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
So what time is the actual debt limit stuff going to get voted on? Is this poo poo finally going to be in the rearview for two years after tonight?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

So what time is the actual debt limit stuff going to get voted on? Is this poo poo finally going to be in the rearview for two years after tonight?

As long as there are 60 senate votes to do so

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
With McConnell behind it I don’t think 60 votes should be a problem. But, y’know, don’t bet against Republicans exceeding expectations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

How is Reade "betraying... rape victims"?

She was an expert witness in rape cases and lied about stuff, mostly her credentials. That’s generally bad, and resulted in like 10ish overturned rape convictions when it was discovered.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

She was an expert witness in rape cases and lied about stuff, mostly her credentials. That’s generally bad and resulted in about 10ish overturned rape convictions when it was discovered.

Do you have a credible report/news article about this?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Joe_Biden_sexual_assault_allegation#False_statements_regarding_professional_credentials

Here's this, for whatever it's worth.

Edit:

quote:

Subsequently Reade was investigated by prosecutors in Monterey County, California, for lying under oath about her educational credentials in her appearances as an expert witness on domestic abuse. The investigation determined that she had made false statements under oath, but Reade was not prosecuted for perjury because those statements had not been material to the outcome of a legal case.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.montereycountyweekly.co...24a816d1cb.html

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

So it literally did not change the outcome of those cases, which means the statement "resulted in about 10ish overturned rape convictions when it was discovered." is a bald-face lie correct?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Again, this is out of date

quote:

The claims, widely repeated in the press, were sourced to an Antioch spokesperson and prompted the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office to launch a probe into whether Reade had lied about the degree or her employment in court. (The probe has since been concluded with no charges filed.)

https://theintercept.com/2021/03/14/new-york-times-tara-reade/

E: misread the post. Either way this is such a weak thing to bring up.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

... every now and then I am completely amazed by this person's life trajectory and place in American drama, entirely outside of the stuff I won't touch, even. I'm still reading up on the uhuru and russian sex cult events I could a watched from my back yard

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

She was an expert witness in rape cases and lied about stuff, mostly her credentials. That’s generally bad, and resulted in like 10ish overturned rape convictions when it was discovered.

…not exactly:

quote:

One of those cases was against James Sloop who was convicted on charges of domestic violence, false imprisonment and witness intimidation, after threatening his girlfriend’s cousin with a gun, forcing his girlfriend into a car and bringing her to an isolated wooded area on Jacks Peak where he punched her repeatedly. At age 41, he was sentenced to 17 years and eight months in prison in 2019; his sentence was reduced to eight years.

In 2018, a jury found two women, Jennifer Vasquez and Victoria Ramirez, guilty of attempted murder of four people; arson; assault and stalking […]In 2019, both women were sentenced to life in prison; Ramirez was 21 at the time, Vasquez 35. Vasquez’s sentence was reduced to nine years and eight months; at a hearing on Nov. 4, Ramirez’s sentence will be reduced to 10 years.

Significant, sure, but quite a bit less than what you claimed. Still, I suppose the general point you made was somewhat correct.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
getting sentenced to life in prison on the back of some bullshit expert testimony is incredibly hosed

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

So it literally did not change the outcome of those cases, which means the statement "resulted in about 10ish overturned rape convictions when it was discovered." is a bald-face lie correct?

I'm pretty sure the 10 rape case thing is a troll by hyperbole.

Speaking to the actual events, let's be very clear: The prosecutor who made the determination that it wasn't perjury because it didn't have a material impact on the trial is the same prosecutor whose convictions would be overturned if there was a determination her lying had a material impact on the trial. Her lying benefited his case.

The cops are saying their witness lied, but they're not going to do anything about it because charging her requires them making the argument all their convictions should be thrown out. So extremely conveniently it's not perjury because they can't prove the lying witness materially impacted their convictions.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Quote is not edit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

That's a bit of a misstatement (one of the dangers of relying solely on Wikipedia summaries). A more accurate way of putting it is that prosecutors didn't think they could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her lies singlehandedly changed the course of the cases, which is obviously a rather difficult thing to prove.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don't think any convictions have actually been overturned as a direct result of her lies. However, they've been provided to the defense attorneys in all of the cases she testified on, and many of them were still in the appeals process when it was discovered, where this information could potentially contribute to lowered sentences. There was also the possibility of those cases being reviewed for any chance that they might need a new trial, though if such a review was actually carried out, the results have not yet been announced publicly.

That said, describing minor lies about her credentials as "betraying rape victims" is pretty drat over the top! I think it would be really cool if we could dial the wild hyperbole and exaggerated accusations back a little bit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, she went to law school and thats been shown, the only issue here is whether she got her college degree in a less than conventional fashion, and to paint that as betraying rape victims is such a gross twisting of the facts here

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

Hi you're both rape apologists, and a direct danger to the women in your lives🥰

Mods, believe this post requires additional attention.

"PROMOTING AWARENESS | VICTIM EMPOWERMENT (PAVE) posted:

Reluctant to Believe Survivors
When they hear about allegations of sexual assault, they immediately ask for proof and claim that the perpetrator is "innocent until proven guilty.”

Why is this a problem? Immediately demanding proof demonstrates that one has an inherent disbelief of survivors and needs to be proven otherwise. While innocent until proven guilty is a good method for our legal system, it is not supposed to be a tool that we rely on in order to demonstrate our support for survivors. Most survivors do not report, and most of those that do report do not get their day in court to prove that the perpetrator is guilty.

[...]

Definition of Consent

They have a distorted view on how to give and receive consent and deny that certain behaviors are sexually abusive.

Why is this a problem? Someone cannot participate in dismantling rape culture if they do not know what behaviors are wrong. Not only will not understanding consent result in sexual violence, but it will cause them to be dismissive towards acts of sexual violence they hear disclosed.

False Allegation Panic

They wrongly believe that false allegations are a serious threat to them or others and overestimate the prevalence of false allegations, resulting in an inability to provide support to survivors.

Why is this a problem? It is false. False reports are extremely rare. Widely reported statistics put the estimated number of falsely reported assaults at 2-10%. But even this is an overestimation, because a rape has to be reported first in order to be considered falsely reported, and 90-95% of survivors do not report their assault. Therefore, that statistic only applies to 5-10% of assaults, putting the real statistic closer to .5% of disclosures of assault (Heaney 2018).

[...]

Victim-blaming
They engage in typical victim-blaming behaviors such as asking whether the survivor was drinking or what they were wearing.

Why is this a problem? Victim-blaming is essentially telling survivors that they took actions to deserve or expect their assault. No survivor EVER deserves or invites sexual assault. Engaging in this behavior demonstrates that one finds victims more responsible for their assault than the assailant.

Distorted Views of Sexual Violence
Their understanding of sexual assault does not go much farther than the dark alley stranger stereotype. they have a hard time believing sexual assault that occurs between partners.

Why is this a problem? Sexual violence rarely happens in the ways it is potrayed in the media and almost always involves someone that the survivor knows.

Objectifying Others
They overly sexualize people around them and make inappropriate comments to the person's face or behind their back.

Why is this a problem? This is sexual harassment, which is a form of sexual violence.

Do Not Employ a Zero Tolerance Policy
They continue to associate themselves with friends and acquaintances who have allegations of sexual violence. Additionally, they continue to support celebrities who have allegations against them. They continue to surround themselves with these abusers even after the allegations have been proven. While they may state that they are trying to remain neutral, neutrality only benefits those who are causing harm, not receiving it.

Why is this a problem? Survivors often cannot rely on the traditional justice system to hold the assailant accountable. As a result, they rely on social justice from their friends, family, and peers to hold them accountable by denouncing the behavior on a zero tolerance policy. Sexual violence is never okay and it can never be swept under the rug.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, she went to law school and thats been shown, the only issue here is whether she got her college degree in a less than conventional fashion, and to paint that as betraying rape victims is such a gross twisting of the facts here

The Intercept article you posted says that there is no evidence that Reade got her college degree, and that neither Reade nor the University of Antioch has any record of her graduating from there.

In fact, when reviewed carefully, the article never actually tries to clearly claim that she did graduate. It suggests that paperwork mixups were possible, and it suggests that it would be weird for her later educational institutions to have treated her the way she did if she hadn't graduated, but it never actually directly affirms that she definitely graduated. When tackling the question directly with no weasel words or vague hand-waving, the writer doesn't seem willing to go any further than "Antioch claimed she hadn’t graduated, and Reade claimed she had — a discrepancy that remains alive".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

That said, describing minor lies about her credentials as "betraying rape victims" is pretty drat over the top!

Wading into this thread against my better judgement:

Consciously and deliberately committing perjury from the witness stand is not a "minor" lie. Depending on your jurisdiction and context it may be a felony offense, which is about as far from "minor" lie as you can get.

That sort of conduct absolutely *could* result in convictions being overturned on appeal. It might or it might not depending on whether or not the appellate court decides that the perjured statements might have shifted the juror's minds, but the person committing the perjury

1) Couldn't have known in advance whether or not her lies would shift the jury or not,

and more importantly

2) Obviously thought they might, or else they would've just told the truth; if you don't think it will impact the jury, why are you lying at all?

What I think you were trying to get at here is that if the substance of her testimony was accurate, why does a lie about her credentials matter? But in expert testimony the court, and the jury, is relying on that expert's credentials; without credentials, that person isn't an expert and doesn't get to testify at all, and the credentials are why the prosecutor says the jury should believe that expert. Proper credentialing is essential for an expert witness, not "minor" at all.

Either way it shows callous disregard for the judicial process and certainly puts those victim's cases at risk. Whether you consider that a "betrayal" or not is I guess a matter of opinion.

Main Paineframe posted:

The Intercept article you posted says that there is no evidence that Reade got her college degree, and that neither Reade nor the University of Antioch has any record of her graduating from there.

Colleges keep such records; if they don't exist, it's because the person didn't graduate.

Every few years there's a news article about a lawyer getting disbarred because they faked their way through their law school admissions process with forged college transcripts. It happens. That's the implication of the Intercept article, not that Antioch just somehow lost their records.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 1, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, I've had a night to think about this, and what's wrong with the argument that's going on here is that there are basically two ethical statements in conflict.

One is "you should support women making accusations against powerful men rather than ignoring their claims because they're politically inconvenient; we have a duty to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

The other is "you shouldn't give air to the claims of people who are obviously agents of an enemy regime and who are going to be used by said regime to destabilize the United States government any way it can; whether her claims are true or not is honestly kind of irrelevant because it's essentially impossible to give them a fair hearing now."

Both of these principles are held by a fair number of people, but neither is universal.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think people like Sinema and Manchin see a path forward for their careers as party switchers who can campaign on the whole "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, they left me" thing, become MAGA types and go on about how they used to be super liberal but saw the light since all those crazy left wing socialists hung them out to dry.

I don't think that either one of them has a principle or a guiding standard in their entire loving body.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wading into this thread against my better judgement:

Consciously and deliberately committing perjury from the witness stand is not a "minor" lie. Depending on your jurisdiction and context it may be a felony offense, which is about as far from "minor" lie as you can get.

That sort of conduct absolutely *could* result in convictions being overturned on appeal. It might or it might not depending on whether or not the appellate court decides that the perjured statements might have shifted the juror's minds, but the person committing the perjury

1) Couldn't have known in advance whether or not her lies would shift the jury or not,

and more importantly

2) Obviously thought they might, or else they would've just told the truth; if you don't think it will impact the jury, why are you lying at all?

What I think you were trying to get at here is that if the substance of her testimony was accurate, why does a lie about her credentials matter? But in expert testimony the court, and the jury, is relying on that expert's credentials; without credentials, that person isn't an expert and doesn't get to testify at all, and the credentials are why the prosecutor says the jury should believe that expert. Proper credentialing is essential for an expert witness, not "minor" at all.

Either way it shows callous disregard for the judicial process and certainly puts those victim's cases at risk. Whether you consider that a "betrayal" or not is I guess a matter of opinion.

Colleges keep such records; if they don't exist, it's because the person didn't graduate.

Every few years there's a news article about a lawyer getting disbarred because they faked their way through their law school admissions process with forged college transcripts. It happens. That's the implication of the Intercept article, not that Antioch just somehow lost their records.

I would like you to refer to the very first item in my quoted post, the first I've ever made in this thread or in this subforum since 2015.

Specifically:

quote:

Why is this a problem? Immediately demanding proof demonstrates that one has an inherent disbelief of survivors and needs to be proven otherwise. While innocent until proven guilty is a good method for our legal system, it is not supposed to be a tool that we rely on in order to demonstrate our support for survivors. Most survivors do not report, and most of those that do report do not get their day in court to prove that the perpetrator is guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
manchin is the furthest "left" person that was electable for senate in west virginia, whereas sinema just straightup betrayed all her voters, so imo they are different