Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I haven't seen the fight yet, it it apparent whether that's an animation bug or intended? Feels bizarre compared to what's been in the game so far, though I haven't examined them too closely.

Honestly it seems intended. If I throw out 30s mit during the cast bar (kerachole, whatever the sch 10% bubble is called) the cool down is up just before the next major mechanic, leading me to think it is intentional.

Still a bit to adjust to, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
its actually a really simple concept and i dunno why its weirding everyone out so much lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the fun part is that, at least for the first three ravenings, they're each basically an Addle apart so I can cover every one. I think it might be a bit closer like 89 or 88 seconds but even then it just means my 3rd addle use is at the end of the cast bar instead of the middle.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i mean there's lots of mechanics where i dunno when mitigations lock in or whether they do at all because what even is technically dishing out the damage

p9s' raidwides are just kinda odd because you have a castbar that isn't really linked to them mechanically

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
thats not even that uncommon though. spell in waiting was a whole mechanic where that was true

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i just hit reprisal when the crystal appears :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yo its 2023 and I just realised the Ishgard/Heavensward theme sounds a lot like Prelude.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Scholasticate feels like the forgotten FFXIV side quest series, which I can say with confidence because I literally forget about it until someone mentions it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Had the worst luck at P12. Took 4 tries to get my wanted drop, including one that broke up cause a DPS was basically afk dying (and people who cleared it kept failing Parthenos) and one that was going well, high DPS and that... and we all got kit by lag or 90k, ending up with me, PLD and a SAM to down the boss.

Thankfully we did and I got the drop, and that's the number 1 reason if the devs ever nerf PLD healing I'm casting Ultima on whoever suggested that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've had the Scholasticate quest line open and unfinished for the longest time, because I have a very low tolerance for Anime High School Shenanigans. Need to just bite the bullet there and knock those out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I ran P12 last night I had to keep casting Nascent on the healer to keep them alive while they rezzed the entire rest of the party. When that thing goes bad, it goes BAD.

Got 3 orchestrion drops out of my 5 runs of P8-12, didn't win any of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

I've had the Scholasticate quest line open and unfinished for the longest time, because I have a very low tolerance for Anime High School Shenanigans. Need to just bite the bullet there and knock those out.

I don't recall it being that at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't recall it being that at all.

It's really not Anime High School Shenanigans.

It's mostly just boring.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, honestly P12 is one of the meanest Normal Raids of all time. A triple, model-based tell AOE that snapshots so loving early? That's evil.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, honestly P12 is one of the meanest Normal Raids of all time. A triple, model-based tell AOE that snapshots so loving early? That's evil.

I've started warning people to burn the adds. If you think "oh I'll save my big stuff for when the boss comes back" you will lose.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, that snapshot speed just destroys me. I keep turning into Walter Sobchak, yelling at a computer screen that I was OVER THE LINE

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arist posted:

It's mostly just boring.

Which is why nobody talks about it, even the most diehard of Ishgard fans.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's got Briarden in it and that's about the best part, but even then he doesn't have Hildy to bounce off of so it's not super funny or anything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The scholasticate story does exactly what it wants to do wrt church reform and the future of ishgard and does it well but it's a very closed book story and that's why people don't really.talk about it. You experience it and its good and that's kind of all there is to it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah I liked the scholasticate story a lot but reconciling theology with political change is one of my interests so

Bruceski posted:

I've started warning people to burn the adds. If you think "oh I'll save my big stuff for when the boss comes back" you will lose.

Also very much this, that adds phase is loving brutal.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The main reason to do the scholastice is to get a sweet pair of glasses and a cool emote to go with them.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Also very much this, that adds phase is loving brutal.

If I have Phoenix/Bahamut coming off cooldown like 20 seconds before the add phase I will resort to spamming Ruin III on the boss until it starts, it's that tight.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is the adds phase really tough outside of having a lot of people be dead? you just spam your aoe rotation and hit cooldowns

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Getting all four of them stacked up is tricky when they have a 270 degree frontal cone and Athena is spamming AoE's all over the tiny arena, that coupled with how quickly her meter fills means it's pretty common to fail the check.

Also if you're badly positioned once the add phase ends there's a good chance you'll get dumped into the abyss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the timing is tight. If people are on the ball you can clear it at 50-60, but it doesn't take much slacking off to hit 100. You get one cycle of each person getting targeted for an AoE, then about 15 seconds, then it's a wipe.

Keep in mind that min ilevel is 615, if everyone's at 630/640 it can go a lot faster than more typical random groups.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
No teleports for me, I only travel by airship.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arist posted:

It's mostly just boring.

My opinion lands closer to "utter garbage", but yeah, definitely not Anime High School-y in the slightest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The best part of P12 duty finder groups is when the tank has her spun 89 degrees at the part where there's only two sections of the map to stand on, and you get to find out which party members find that 1% to dodge into and which just hold still and accept death.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've had P12s where the off-tank deliberately provokes her to cause poo poo like that. :fuckoff:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Today I learned that her knockback line targets a random player. Could've sworn it was the tank.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My first fight of P12 was such a nothing burger, I'm excited for a reclear this week to maybe see some of these failstates you guys get

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hazardousmouse posted:

My first fight of P12 was such a nothing burger, I'm excited for a reclear this week to maybe see some of these failstates you guys get

Yeah, both weeks I've had clean P12 runs, so I'm curious where all these bad ones are happening.

If anything it seems like P10 is the one that causes headaches.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

For me it’s tanks not keeping the boss north or south and also the timing on dodging the half arena AOEs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I swear the trinity attack snapshots your location a couple milliseconds earlier than other, similar mechanics and it throws me off

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

I swear the trinity attack snapshots your location a couple milliseconds earlier than other, similar mechanics and it throws me off

The wing? Yeah, it feels very early to me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My personal white whale is a P10 group where everybody stands in a loving tower

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

1stGear posted:

My personal white whale is a P10 group where everybody stands in a loving tower
I've had several runs in a row where everyone else stands near a tower!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hogama posted:

I've had several runs in a row where everyone else stands near a tower!

That's typically what I see. People spread but one or two will just stand just beside their tower.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I did that the first time last week. I died, and realized I shouldn't do that anymore, so then I didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

For me it’s tanks not keeping the boss north or south and also the timing on dodging the half arena AOEs.

FuturePastNow posted:

Arist posted:

The wing? Yeah, it feels very early to me.

FF14 players when they can’t blame the word larboard for messing up