Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

duz posted:

He's explained before, no one wanted to publish his columns but they'll publish his cartoons.

So, he was being silenced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like Tom Tomorrow's cartoons. He doesn't have enough to say to make a blog but he can make a pretty funny cartoon.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

rodbeard posted:

Is there a kelly nomination for too many loving words?

First Dog on the Moon award?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Political Cartoons 2023: Worderous Rampage

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

First Dog on the Moon award?

I prefer the "Subnormality Excellence Award For Using Too Many Goddamn Words In a Goddamn Comic Seriously Why Are There So Many Words"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Murdstone posted:

He doesn't have enough to say to make a blog but he can make a pretty funny cartoon.

Citation needed.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the gun one is still a classic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

rodbeard posted:

Is there a kelly nomination for too many loving words?

There is now!

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 31, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
That wall of text does make me wonder- even if it's just in a superficial "obviously this is the first thing we're caving on" manner, was raising taxes on the wealthy or cutting military spending even floated as an idea in Congress?

It's nice that work requirements for Medicaid didn't go through. Here the cutoff for single people is making less than $110/month and if they added a minimum hours requirement to that they'd definitely be taken to court since you'd have to be getting paid illegally to satisfy all the requirements and there's a lot of precedent saying you can't make people break the law to obey another law.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: No Tattle-Tailing on Trans

Ted Rall posted:

Many schools have adopted rules that prevent school administrators and teachers from notifying the parents of students who identify by a different gender at school that their child may be transitioning.

First Dog on the Moon: Here is how to survive winter (mainly in Tasmania but also anywhere)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trapezium Dave posted:

Either AGC about using gender neutral language or

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Transphobia)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Kellies nomination: Most easily reinterpreted, worst art, most Lovecraftian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It looks like the phone call is coming out of the wrench on the tool chest :psyduck:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
CENTRAL SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

duz posted:

He's explained before, no one wanted to publish his columns but they'll publish his cartoons.

If ever there was a sign to make changes in your life / profession, this would be it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Islamic Shock posted:

That wall of text does make me wonder- even if it's just in a superficial "obviously this is the first thing we're caving on" manner, was raising taxes on the wealthy or cutting military spending even floated as an idea in Congress?

It's nice that work requirements for Medicaid didn't go through. Here the cutoff for single people is making less than $110/month and if they added a minimum hours requirement to that they'd definitely be taken to court since you'd have to be getting paid illegally to satisfy all the requirements and there's a lot of precedent saying you can't make people break the law to obey another law.

Republicans always enter into these with the stipulation that any kind of "revenue generation," whether it be fixing tax loopholes, a really big community car wash, or even selling off all the National Parks, is completely off the table. It's 100% phrased as an opposition to the concept of Federal spending. (Except the military, where no increase by a Democratic president could ever be enough.)

That's one reason (besides the structure) this cartoon sucks, by making the alien money physical thing, it brings availability into the debate, which isn't a factor here. Governmental budgets are not household budgets, etc.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Guavanaut posted:

Either AGC about using gender neutral language or

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Transphobia)

Yeah, I can't tell what point he's trying and failing to make here.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think it's about laws forcing teachers to out trans students to their parents? But I can't tell if he's pro- or anti- these laws. Maybe he just thinks it's just a situation with hilarious comedic potential?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wizzardstaff posted:

I think it's about laws forcing teachers to out trans students to their parents? But I can't tell if he's pro- or anti- these laws. Maybe he just thinks it's just a situation with hilarious comedic potential?

According to the text it's about laws preventing teachers from outing trans students to their parents and I can't tell what if any position he is taking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The "wasn't supposed to tell you" makes me assume that it's about safeguarding laws that mean schools aren't supposed to out LGBTQ+ kids to anyone, family included, against the child's wishes.

The composition and contrasting of desk job/real manly blue collar work makes me think it's just "schools transing the kids" garbage.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Christ, she's going to be dead and buried for a decade and we're still going to have cartoons like this, aren't we?

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

It's not just the words - like everyone's said, this amount of them is normal for the guy - it's that the panels themselves are filled with FURTHER WORDS written in weird alien symbols; scattered on the spheres in the background and even crawling right through empty air. The only things in that entire cartoon that aren't coated in words are the aliens, and they've got a polka dot pattern to ensure further noise gets crammed in. It's like looking at a zoomed-out photo of an enormous hedge maze.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Tom Stiglich

Strong contenders for Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) there

Good use of the "I'm trapped in a Stiglich cartoon, send help" expression too.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Christ, she's going to be dead and buried for a decade and we're still going to have cartoons like this, aren't we?

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Any Day Now"

Any unironic 'she's running' cartoon at this point gets a nomination from me.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Guavanaut posted:

The "wasn't supposed to tell you" makes me assume that it's about safeguarding laws that mean schools aren't supposed to out LGBTQ+ kids to anyone, family included, against the child's wishes.

The composition and contrasting of desk job/real manly blue collar work makes me think it's just "schools transing the kids" garbage.

Even if it's not full-on "they're makin' our kids trans", lots of right wing parents are terrified at the idea that their kids might be some flavor of queer without their knowledge, because then they can't "fix" the "problem". Like it's a lovely cartoon, but I'm fairly sure the intent is "and this is a bad thing!"

So, apparently, Ted Rall's stance on LGBTQ people is "man, it sucks that they have rights now, it was way better when they were subversive and sticking it to the system, man! EEK! A trans person! Not allowed!!!"

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Um, yes it is? The violence in "urban" neighborhoods is a big problem but it doesn't directly threaten our democracy.

Kellies nomination: Most easily reinterpreted

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

So, apparently, Ted Rall's stance on LGBTQ people is "man, it sucks that they have rights now, it was way better when they were subversive and sticking it to the system, man! EEK! A trans person! Not allowed!!!"

I recall that this has always been his stance on gay rights. That gays should not have rights so they may remain revolutionary outsiders, and also gay dudes are icky.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 31, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Gay used to be so much cooler back when you people weren't allowed near children."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

According to the text it's about laws preventing teachers from outing trans students to their parents and I can't tell what if any position he is taking.

That the dad is just innocently befuddled is sus to me

Queer kids get beaten or kicked out onto the street or packed off to Christian conversion camp every day, if a kid is scared to tell their parents who they are there's a reason. The kid isn't even considered in the comic it's all about what the school is "doing to" the parent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also Ted is the cartoonist's cartoonist, in that he's a lazy hack of lazy hacks. If he'd wanted the father to be a hate figure rather than a sympathetic hard working real man he'd put a bunch of traitor flags and nooses and drainpipes with handles because he can't draw guns around the garage.

He's definitely going for "schools should out kids, even to this vaguely conservative stereotype I just created."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings: the washing away of Johnson’s Covid messages? – No 10 has been accused of cover-up after denying it has the ex-PMs pandemic notebooks and WhatsApp messages" See also National Covid Memorial Wall - Wikipedia

Telegraph:

Surprise mass drone strike spells trouble in the air for Vladimir Putin

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

‘No end in sight’ to rail dispute as first of three train strikes hits

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

im sure that faith in the worries from experts carry over to other topics, such as vaccines and climate change

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
oh no not my butt!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rall pretended to be Gen X for decades, but even he couldn’t deny his boomer nature.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Regarding the Stiglich, I'd point out that white supremacists are objectively, with real numbers, the most frequent kind of terrorist in America, but knowing these assholes I'd be lucky if they'd just No True Scotsman it with the RINO label. Pretty sure they're going "it is inconvenient for me to believe this therefore fake news" same as everything.

Edit: how many decades has crime in the city been skyrocketing according to them?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Regarding the Stiglich, I'd point out that white supremacists are objectively, with real numbers, the most frequent kind of terrorist in America, but knowing these assholes I'd be lucky if they'd just No True Scotsman it with the RINO label. Pretty sure they're going "it is inconvenient for me to believe this therefore fake news" same as everything.

Edit: how many decades has crime in the city been skyrocketing according to them?

Since Babel at least.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"Isn't gang violence in your neighborhood the real terrorism though?"

It's kind of like "It's obviously a mental health problem because you have to be crazy to do a mass shooting", in that no that isn't true because words mean things and you're just trying to avoid looking at reality.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

(Reserve Bank governor) Philip Lowe wants you to get more flatmates to help solve the rental crisis (SBS).

Spooner:

Footy fans slam State of Origin's 'woke' Welcome to Country after Indigenous elder spoke about Yes vote in the Voice referendum (Daily Mail)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What a bunch of racist snowflakes, jesus.