Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

even his posts has layers. how does he keep doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005

General Battuta posted:

BATEMAN: You like Seth Dickinson's writing?

TASSI: Um, they're okay.

BATEMAN: Their early work was a little too cerebral for my taste. But when the Books of Sorrow came out in 2014, I think they really came into their own, both among gamers and loving weirdos. The whole lorebook has a fragmented, playful narrative voice, and a new sheen of humor that really helps the kids make memes. They've been compared to Michael Kirkbride, but I think Seth has a far more alcoholic, depressive philosophy.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Unveiling. A lorebook so wack, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the creation of the universe and the nature of evolution. It's also a personal statement about the process of writing for video games. Hey, Paul!

I am imagining the first time you got something published then met a fan who misinterpreted what you wrote, and the subsequent "Death of the Author" feeling you must have had.

That it never could have prepared you for a video game studio taking a knife to the lorebook garden you wrote to adapt it into an antagonist who can be shot in the face(s) next fiscal year.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

I really wish my home internet wasn't dying to the point that I can't expect to be able to complete any activity before being kicked offline.

New router time?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It could also be Bungie programming, since some people just get kicked out when they touch a plate in the boss fight during Salvage.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

General Battuta posted:

BATEMAN: You like Seth Dickinson's writing?

TASSI: Um, they're okay.

BATEMAN: Their early work was a little too cerebral for my taste. But when the Books of Sorrow came out in 2014, I think they really came into their own, both among gamers and loving weirdos. The whole lorebook has a fragmented, playful narrative voice, and a new sheen of humor that really helps the kids make memes. They've been compared to Michael Kirkbride, but I think Seth has a far more alcoholic, depressive philosophy.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Unveiling. A lorebook so wack, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the creation of the universe and the nature of evolution. It's also a personal statement about the process of writing for video games. Hey, Paul!

Suddenly Baru makes sense.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

If you carry the defiant quest thing, does that mean you'll earn only defiant engrams instead of deep?

Coming from warframe, where cosmetics are relatively cheap and it's easy to make real money currency in game, I was surprised cosmetics cost so much in D2. I was going to buy the omolon titan armor and maybe another for the helmet, until I realized they cost $15. I'm dissatisfied with my space-barbie options. :colbert:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

smallmouth posted:

If you carry the defiant quest thing, does that mean you'll earn only defiant engrams instead of deep?

Coming from warframe, where cosmetics are relatively cheap and it's easy to make real money currency in game, I was surprised cosmetics cost so much in D2. I was going to buy the omolon titan armor and maybe another for the helmet, until I realized they cost $15. I'm dissatisfied with my space-barbie options. :colbert:

Pick up the artifact for Defiant and Deep and you get engrams for both, it's very nice.

And yeah, cosmetic stuff is pricey, but I refuse to pay money for cosmetics anyway so it doesn't bother me. On the plus side the amount of bright engrams they give you is nice. I have gotten a few nice exotic ornaments from them. It's not reliable or anything, but it's nice if you're like me. "Oh, free thing I won't pay money for, nice."

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Pick up the artifact for Defiant and Deep and you get engrams for both, it's very nice.

Oh, you can carry both? Why even have them then?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

smallmouth posted:

Oh, you can carry both? Why even have them then?
It was the same last year. Last year every season had a dedicated focusing currency, I imagine opt-in leaves an option to reduce inventory bloat. It means less this year since the engrams just go to the table. Maybe if you don't care about last season's engrams anymore and don't want to see them dropping and filling your drop list?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It reduces inventory bloat and drop bloat. It was more useful last year when every season had at least one resource that took up an inventory slot when it dropped in addition to engrams, but it's still good to be able to shut off a season's mechanics when you're done with it

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Has anyone else encountered a situation where you complete a finisher and then just immediately die to Misadventure?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor_Acula posted:

Has anyone else encountered a situation where you complete a finisher and then just immediately die to Misadventure?

I’ve seen this referenced here and there. Something fucky with the mob dying as the animation plays out or two people trying to finish the same enemy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DancingShade posted:

New router time?

The problem starts before that, Comcast claims the signal is fine at the street level and that the problem is the wiring inside the building (which they don't deal with). I get maybe 20% uptime, and even that has drops within it that make it impossible to commit to any lengthy activity even when I can get on.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The inverse chair.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve seen this referenced here and there. Something fucky with the mob dying as the animation plays out or two people trying to finish the same enemy.

As far as anyone can tell, this is the result if you do a finisher on an enemy and another player kills the enemy before your animation completes. Finishing is supposed to reserve the enemy for you but lag lets this happen. This was a common occurrence when finishers were first introduced in Shadowkeep but they fixed it pretty quickly and I guess they have now broken it again

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Toksai posted:

That it never could have prepared you for a video game studio taking a knife to the lorebook garden you wrote to adapt it into an antagonist who can be shot in the face(s) next fiscal year.

What else could it have been? He was expressly writing for a video game.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Doctor_Acula posted:

I've had that happen before once where I did a finisher on a mob near some geometry, and the motion from the finisher put me inside a rock and killed me. I want to say the mob was completely on the other side of the rock, but it happened a while ago.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We had the dungeon boss's ghost spawn about 60 feet away from where we killed her last night

That was stressful

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

real toss-up for me if hive wizards or hive shriekers are the worst bosstype.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Wizard fart clouds are the worst enemy attack in the game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there a new thing where achievement popups disable your mouse input or is my computer finally dying?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Doctor_Acula posted:

Had this had this happen yesterday while running solo, as well as a couple other solo deaths to straight up mystery misadventures. Full heath to none, and one was after an unpowered melee on trash mob. Game buggy af, as usual.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So..... Yeah.....

But I was literally just thinking the other day that I've had, in 700 hours of play, like a handful of crashes. Less than 10. Considering it's an in house engine that is likely spaghetti code to do poo poo it wasn't ever intended to it's astoundingly solid and functional. Performs pretty well too while still looking pretty good.

Sure, yeah, if you have too many buffs at a time it drops your artifact buffs until a restart (or it used to if they fixed it) but like, the game for its size and scope is kind of loving impressive.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Consider yourself blessed since it is a 1 in 5 chance the game will actually start on my PS5 anymore.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So..... Yeah.....

But I was literally just thinking the other day that I've had, in 700 hours of play, like a handful of crashes. Less than 10. Considering it's an in house engine that is likely spaghetti code to do poo poo it wasn't ever intended to it's astoundingly solid and functional. Performs pretty well too while still looking pretty good.

Sure, yeah, if you have too many buffs at a time it drops your artifact buffs until a restart (or it used to if they fixed it) but like, the game for its size and scope is kind of loving impressive.

The buff tracker is so irritating. Hard to tell what's proc'd sometimes. One of my biggest challenges doing Avalon was knowing how many motes i had on that 2nd encounter because I just couldn't see that in the buff tracker half the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's been a major problem for a long time. Happens to the buffs in the new dungeon too, fortunately those are very generous. For Avalon I would just run around grabbing motes for most of the timer to be most confident I had more than 8/10/12

At the very least they need to split it into intrinsic and extrinsic sections, if not rethink the whole thing

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

^burtle posted:

Consider yourself blessed since it is a 1 in 5 chance the game will actually start on my PS5 anymore.

I’m also playing on PS5 but with no issues

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
An interesting topic on Reddit involving ammo drop rates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/13wo2m6/definitive_quantitative_proof_of_the_juggler/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Radiant Dance Machines + Reaper x2 + Powerful Attraction + 3x Weapon Surge + 2x Charged Up + Ager's Scepter?

Is that a thing? Is that anything? I dunno. I'm trying to figure out what you do with Radiant Dance Machines because it doesn't actually interact with any of the aspects.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

Radiant Dance Machines + Reaper x2 + Powerful Attraction + 3x Weapon Surge + 2x Charged Up + Ager's Scepter?

Is that a thing? Is that anything? I dunno. I'm trying to figure out what you do with Radiant Dance Machines because it doesn't actually interact with any of the aspects.

Gimmick threaded spike build. plunder actually had a video on it a few days ago. RDM not interacting with the aspects is garbo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gimmick threaded spike build. plunder actually had a video on it a few days ago. RDM not interacting with the aspects is garbo

Like, come on. You can tune individually tune the way Liar's Handshake and Wormgod Caress interact with One-Two Punch but you can't just let me have a little bit of Slow from the Stasis aspect? Outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I really wish RDM would interact with aspects, at least in PvE. Hell, they've shown they can make it not work with specific things (suspend slam) so they could pick and choose even.

Saying that tho, the buff they gave it is really nice. It isn't mEtA but it is fun as hell. It gives you a pseudo-gyrfalcon effect with Void, allowing you to go Invisible whenever you want, just pop Reaper, get an orb, you're the Devourfalcon. Stasis sees a lot of use with it given how useful the frisbee is. Recuperation plus the orb collector, plus shards, it makes you quite tanky.

I haven't really found it be super useful on Arc because of the inherent loop Arc has, and Solar means lots of knives but again, got that loop. It can do crazy DPS with rockets tho.

It's quickly become a favourite low energy activity exotic for me. If it ever works with aspects I suspect I'll use it even more.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Anyone still using Liar’s Handshake over Assassin’s Cowl?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Got my Apex Predator pattern :toot:

Now to work on getting Supremacy.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

^burtle posted:

I learned today that I need to complete the shadow keep quest line before I can get assassin's cowl to drop

:colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

^burtle posted:

My cowl rolls kinda suck, plus the handshake allows for truly strong punches that nearly kill champs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

^burtle posted:

me

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, Liar's Handshake is loving tops. Big punchy, very fun. Should probably do a Loadout for both imo. God loadouts have been the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

^burtle posted:

Star Eater Scales. I've always found Liar's Handshake has a rhythm I don't like with the having to punch twice to actually use the perk and I like making my lightning boomstick bigger and boomier.