Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bruceski posted:

Yup, grab and start shaking like you're playing Mischief Makers.

You don't even have to shake, you can just pull and it'll bounce towards you when it pops. I dunno if it's the sound or the rumble, but it feels so satisfying and correct to do that I can't imagine fighting them any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

YggiDee posted:

What forest usually has the Master Sword in it

How many zelda games do i have to have played to understand this and is the answer more than zero

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol the debrief after the Crisis at Hyrule Castle quest is extremely funny if you've already gotten the master sword and the fifth sage.

"Wait a minute... there's more than four sages! We need to find the fifth!"
[Link gestures]
"What you already found them?! Oh uh, well then, we should probably figure out what happened to the Master Swo-"
[Link gestures]
"O-Oh, you already have that too... wow that's amazing. Well we have no idea where Ganondorf could be hiding, maybe in the depths? Go talk to-"
[Link gestures]
"...So you already know exactly where Ganondorf is in the depths. Okay then, uh... good luck I guess?"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How many zelda games do i have to have played to understand this and is the answer more than zero

There's specifically one forest you cannot normally enter and cannot normally navigate in its own section of the map. It's also the same forest you would go to for the Master Sword in Breath of the Wild

Explicit location, because i never found a better explicit hint other than the game strongly suggesting to seek the place out again:top center of the map

There's a lot more to it than just "okay now warp to a nearby tower/sky shrine and go here" , it's a neat little navigation puzzle + one boss fight to get pointed in the right direction from there. It also has one of the most convenient combinations of inn/shop/second shop in the game when you have it cleared up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh yeah, I guess from my admittedly hazy memory of Ocarina as a kid I’d assumed BotW/TotK Link was also supposed to be “from” the lost woods in some sense? But I’m not sure that’s actually meant to be true. It does amuse me to imagine this feral chaos child wandering out of the forest one day and becoming the kingdom’s greatest warrior.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think being a Kokiri foundling is just OoT Link's backstory, usually he's from a plain ol' Hylian village, like Outset Island in Wind Waker or Ordon in Twilight Princess. I always assumed BotW Link was from Hateno Village, but no one there remembers him because he spent a hundred years snoozing in the life soup.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
BotW's DLC and some of Zelda's diaries actually give us the most fleshed out backstory we ever had for this Link and its appropriately insane. His dad was a big shot knight who got put on a cultural exchange with the Zora when Link was little to teach Mipha how to fight. Which is how Link has all the Zora friends who recognize him in both games.

We also learn he was a combat savant who was beating the poo poo out of adults in training by like 6 or 7 years old.

Edit: lol, went back to check Mipha's diary and

Mipha's diary posted:

" At the request of Hyrule's king, a group of outsiders came to greet us at the domain. One of them was a Hylian child of only about four years of age. His name was Link. He made quite a first impression. He was curious and full of energy, with a ready smile. Are all Hylian children that way? One thing that surely sets him apart is his swordsmanship, which I hear is exceptional. He has even bested adults. He must be somewhat reckless, however, as he was covered in bruises." — Mipha's Diary (Breath of the Wild)

He was a four year old who could run around beating the poo poo out of people

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2023

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The characterization of 'Hero of the Wild' Link being a prodigious knight that's also a horrible gremlin that eats rocks loving rules.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the BotW/TotK iteration of Link is really interesting because pretty much every other time he's just a rando who gets roped into greater circumstances and rises to the challenge, meanwhile here he's implied to be of noble birth and also a naturally peerless swordsman to the point that he's beating the poo poo out of adults as a toddler and by the time he's actually come of age is implied to have been Hyrule's very one one man army. IIRC the Zelda diaries in BotW even imply that he was picked to serve as her knight less because he was able to draw the Master Sword and more because he was just indisputably the greatest knight in the kingdom.

I also really like that Link spent his childhood with the Zora and Zelda her childhood with the Gerudo. It makes the various races feel more like a cohesive society in these games than they do in any of the others. Also that Link being a silent protagonist is actually explained as him being kinda awkward and self-conscious outside of battle and just defaulting to "if I don't say anything I can't embarrass myself" and when Zelda actually manages to get him to open up it turns out he's a loving goof. Definitely my favorite incarnations of Link and Zelda by quite a bit.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I killed my first Lynel and it was a white mane. I never killed a Lynel in BOTW without using Stasis so it felt like quite an accomplishment.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sydin posted:

Yeah the BotW/TotK iteration of Link is really interesting because pretty much every other time he's just a rando who gets roped into greater circumstances and rises to the challenge, meanwhile here he's implied to be of noble birth and also a naturally peerless swordsman to the point that he's beating the poo poo out of adults as a toddler and by the time he's actually come of age is implied to have been Hyrule's very one one man army. IIRC the Zelda diaries in BotW even imply that he was picked to serve as her knight less because he was able to draw the Master Sword and more because he was just indisputably the greatest knight in the kingdom.

I also really like that Link spent his childhood with the Zora and Zelda her childhood with the Gerudo. It makes the various races feel more like a cohesive society in these games than they do in any of the others. Also that Link being a silent protagonist is actually explained as him being kinda awkward and self-conscious outside of battle and just defaulting to "if I don't say anything I can't embarrass myself" and when Zelda actually manages to get him to open up it turns out he's a loving goof. Definitely my favorite incarnations of Link and Zelda by quite a bit.

If I remember right, the Champions Ballad DLC added a diary entry somewhere that talked about how Link is so freakisly strong that he kept shattering swords during combat training, which pissed the blacksmiths off a lot but also explains why weapons seemed so fragile. The truth is they aren't, Link is just built different.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/1664106996587528194

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s Adam driver doing in a Hudson billboard

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zore posted:

BotW's DLC and some of Zelda's diaries actually give us the most fleshed out backstory we ever had for this Link and its appropriately insane. His dad was a big shot knight who got put on a cultural exchange with the Zora when Link was little to teach Mipha how to fight. Which is how Link has all the Zora friends who recognize him in both games.

We also learn he was a combat savant who was beating the poo poo out of adults in training by like 6 or 7 years old.

Okay I didn't know that bit but that's really funny, now we can imagine Link as like... the sort of Hylian equivalent of a greyhound but for fighting instead of running. Somebody bred this kid to be super good at something and it's kind of messed up to let him do it but if you try to keep him inside all day he gets neurotic as hell. He doesn't talk much but he has a few friends who are nice to him and every so often he gets to just beat the poo poo out of everything around him, then eat a bunch of barely-above-dubious food.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I still love how Age of Calamity has a cutscene where Daruk hands him a Rock Roast and he just digs in to a literal goddamn rock.

Makes sense considering he can eat Rock Hard Food in BoTW but still lmao

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Icedude posted:

I still love how Age of Calamity has a cutscene where Daruk hands him a Rock Roast and he just digs in to a literal goddamn rock.

Makes sense considering he can eat Rock Hard Food in BoTW but still lmao

Urabosa says something like "Link will fearlessly accept any challenge... for better or worse." while watching this as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Salt is just rocks I eat rocks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're also supposed to swallow small stones and stuff to help you digest grass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Apparently this counts as a shelter

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently this counts as a shelter

korok saw how badly you were loving it up and was just like you know what, nevermind, here's your handful of poo poo, I'm calling a contractor

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thread title suggestion when/if it's ever ok to start spoiling stuff The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Would you still love me if I was a wyrm?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Unique big pedestal in the underworld with 3 ghosts holding 3 different weapons

-580 -1497 -445

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 1, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zore posted:

No wonder he was loved by Sidon, who was eaten by an octorok as a kid and tore his way out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also emphasizes Zelda's inferiority complex in BotW; she had perfectly normal struggles to find her role, but was comparing herself to a freak of combat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bruceski posted:

Also emphasizes Zelda's inferiority complex in BotW; she had perfectly normal struggles to find her role, but was comparing herself to a freak of combat.

Nobody expected Link to be the chosen one but he was just so perfect at the role from the get go he sort of fell into it. Meanwhile everybody expected Zelda to be the chosen one from birth and put her down when she wasn't able to immediately awaken to her abilities. It's quite natural that at least initially Zelda resented the hell out of Link.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's been the best approach for collecting Korok seeds?

I've been using an interactive map for most other things (by putting stamps on the map) but there's so many of these that it would just get stressful.

I think I've naturally picked up about 25 (and put most of that into weapons), but I keep hitting having to ignore shields and bows due to how low their capacity is for me.

I've got over 2/3 of the shrines done, and have most of the armour, so figured it was maybe time to switch things up and gather the seeds to max inventory.

Just looking for the most efficient way of doing it though. Those korok reuniting tasks give you 2 seeds for example, but the faff of dealing with them is probably slower than picking up a rock.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

What's been the best approach for collecting Korok seeds?

I've been using an interactive map for most other things (by putting stamps on the map) but there's so many of these that it would just get stressful.

I think I've naturally picked up about 25 (and put most of that into weapons), but I keep hitting having to ignore shields and bows due to how low their capacity is for me.

I've got over 2/3 of the shrines done, and have most of the armour, so figured it was maybe time to switch things up and gather the seeds to max inventory.

Just looking for the most efficient way of doing it though. Those korok reuniting tasks give you 2 seeds for example, but the faff of dealing with them is probably slower than picking up a rock.

Hovercycle is the best way of dealing with korok reunions. 100% delivery, no guessing rocket trajectories, no getting stuck in ditches

It’s also pretty good for single koroks, just roam around following the interactive map. There are some you won’t be able to get to because they’re hidden in caves but otherwise you can reach most of them flying around

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sorry, I thought "Look for it in the same place it was in Breath of the Wild" was a little too on-the-nose. But anyway in LttP, LBW and BotW the Master Sword is in the Lost Woods. Which is far north, west of Death Mountain.

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
Endgame question: I'm deep inside gloom's approach going through the enemy gauntlet and the sages suddenly disappeared, now I'm fighting some gloom hands by myself.

Am I close to the end yet? It feels like it and I want to be prepared

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

Endgame question: I'm deep inside gloom's approach going through the enemy gauntlet and the sages suddenly disappeared, now I'm fighting some gloom hands by myself.

Am I close to the end yet? It feels like it and I want to be prepared

Vague endgame spoilers: Yes, you're pretty close. There will be a specific point of no return, it'll be easily recognizable once you're there.

More specific endgame spoilers: It's the room with the murals from the prologue segment with Zelda.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think if you haven't played other Zeldas, it's easier to just follow the geoglyph quest

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Steve Yun posted:

Hovercycle is the best way of dealing with korok reunions. 100% delivery, no guessing rocket trajectories, no getting stuck in ditches

It’s also pretty good for single koroks, just roam around following the interactive map. There are some you won’t be able to get to because they’re hidden in caves but otherwise you can reach most of them flying around

Aha, forgot about the hover bike.

I've been using it to explore the depths and cheese the traversal in the sky.

I read that you only need to get about 400 of them to max out inventory space so, I guess it's background TV time while I whittle them off.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
After not using them ever, I blew through like 40 gibdo bones during a particular boss fight and now I'm addicted

What's the best place to farm up more?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

postmodifier posted:

After not using them ever, I blew through like 40 gibdo bones during a particular boss fight and now I'm addicted

The Gerudo Cemetery in the Depths and the Ancient Prison Ruins accessible via one of the sand whirlpools in Gerudo Desert have Gibdo that constantly spawn, and there’s also the option of refighting the Queen Gibdo in the Depths for the Gibdo swarm she summons in her second phase

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 1, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

postmodifier posted:

I think the place with the most gibdos in one spot post-gerudo is the undeground gerudo graveyard

which isn't necessarily saying a ton but

e: oh duh yeah infinitely farming them from a boss re-fight is probably The Way To Go, isn't it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also a big pile of gibdo parts, free for the taking, in one of the Gerudo palace courtyards after you've completed the temple. I haven't checked if it respawns, but it's definitely worth checking if you haven't.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7233049262387498245

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's also a big pile of gibdo parts, free for the taking, in one of the Gerudo palace courtyards after you've completed the temple. I haven't checked if it respawns, but it's definitely worth checking if you haven't.

on the playthrough where I looted that I literally never saw anything show back up in it, I don't know if I just got unlucky or it's a one-and-done

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This is what happens when you let young people run your social media

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7236834961448324398

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Got through the Fire Temple last night. Really feel good about saving the Gorons from the crack epidemic and wish it were that easy in real life. Also not a big fan of my new Goron buddy. I'm pretty sure he's saying "I can do it!" but it really, really feels like he's yelling "why'd you do it??" very accusingly at me. (Actually, the Rito buddy kinda sucks too, made me feel like I'm guest-starring in an episode of DuckTales, but at least he's mostly shut up now that he's in ghost form.)

How do I go about getting the Master Sword? I haven't wanted to google it in case of spoilers, but I haven't even gotten a breadcrumb or anything yet, and I'm 2 temples in and explored quite a bit of the map now. I forget how it worked in BotW, but I thought I'd been pointed there by now but had been put off by the heart requirement.

e: gently caress I gotta go find the korok forest, don't i?