Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Max is at an SF6 launch event and showed off some slim hitboxes with Chun and Cammy art that might be made by Razer

[edit] It looks like they've got RGB lighting around the edge

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

F2p needs a few conditions that it's not obvious that fighting games will ever be able to meet, separate even from just the gameplay itself. In no particular order you need everyone you know/big streamers are playing it (i.e., fortnite), good clients outside of the gameplay, very good matchmaking (largely dictated by how big the initial player base is and how well it can be maintained), fairly low time commitment/wasted time (this one is reasonably easy at least), characters people already care about or are interesting enough to draw people in, and a new content and update stream that is far faster than what the vast majority of fighting games have ever done. It doesn't necessarily need to be a balance patch and new character every month or two, but they would need to be cranking out costumes or other cosmetics that people actually want. SF6 is kind of the test case for a lot of those despite being a full price product rather than free dollars, but if it can keep big numbers that will be an indicator for future games. Project L will probably be the next big test of whether the model is feasible.

There's also "runs on anything/a phone" but the latter at least is not going to happen for any fighting game you'd want to play.

Yeah like you’re saying, I think street fighter is one of the few brands that can guarantee it will meet those points, in part because it is so closely associated with capcom’s brand that they r essentially obligated to ensure it remains supported.
i mean I think realistically sf6 probably won’t ever need to be free to play because it’s seemingly managed to build enough trust with an audience who are willing to buy in initially that they aren’t gonna stifle the money spigot unless the cost/loss analysis reallly tilts to an extreme.

More realistically, I can imagine them doing something like GTA/Red Dead after a few years and selling the multiplayer as a stand-alone at a slightly reduced rate.
Phone stuff I can’t imagine them doing unless success rly forces them to pivot into becoming purely the street fighter company , but if they were, probably pull a nether realm or Nintendo and partner with someone to generate a simplified version of sf that can share assets with the main line.

Honestly, in my perfect world, the arcade monetization scheme would still rule supreme and capcom, Namco Bandai, SNK , etc. would all be incentivized to generate multiple games with smaller teams rather than pool people and resources into a single live game. But without a low buy-in and public exhibition spaces that obviously doesn’t rly work.

So logically, capcom should soft launch all new fighting games within the virtual sf6 arcade. Or, less dreamily, I hope they’ll do something like a Halloween event where Darkstalkers takes over the little arcade corner that final fight was in in the beta.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they're just gonna do dlc and stuff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they're just gonna do dlc and stuff.

agreed, the people making street fighter are only interested in giving us the best drat game they can, and haven't thought about what happens once it comes out, the battle pass idea was probably a high guy who played fortnite for the first time, and he suggested it to the head of Street fighter and they said "sure, lets try it". Then capcom said, okay, just make sure the game comeso ut and is a drat fine game, the rest is up to you. Soon, in under a day, we'll find out if Capco mwas right...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They gonna do a lot of dlc and stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Max is at an SF6 launch event and showed off some slim hitboxes with Chun and Cammy art that might be made by Razer

[edit] It looks like they've got RGB lighting around the edge

Wow, those almost look tasteful, for a Razer product.

Simmons left out again, though.

edit: oh wait, he is there, he's just off to the right and cropped.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 1, 2023

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They gonna do a lot of dlc and stuff.

some ppl post on the discussion forum to discuss, while others liike to hear 'good purchase, friend!',
in the same sense, some ppl are interested in street fighter because they like to play and think about street fighter, while perhaps others are interested in street fighter because it means ppl will say 'good purchase, friend!'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like I dunno, from my experience that's what capcom does. MH is an enormously successful online multiplayer and those games just always be adding additional costumes or accessories as dlc, its flooded with it. But y'know I also imagine they'll have big fighting game season passes as is basically tradition with major fg releases at this point.

I dropped SFV early so maybe i'm mistaken and it was more common for people to get new characters and like costumes or whatever through the in game fight money (and purchases of that) but I was under the impression a lot of the additional content in that was still brought as standard dlc purchases. Like i'm not trying to say "capcom cares about its fans and would never prey on them!" but I think they got their own method of that and it aint gonna follow the formula of your GTAs or other big AAA games.

E: I guess i'm just not really expecting SF6 to be a major shift from how Capcom usually approaches this stuff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My point was more that the structure of the installs, Proving Ground mode, etc. seem to indicate that they were at least considering the possibility of segmenting the game up when creating these things. i mean maybe not, I agree that DmC, RE, MH,etc. have all had similar stuff in terms of optional early paid unlocks. But I think the distinction is that none of those are live/"forever" games in the same sense as Street Fighter. Monster Hunter is the closest but the relationship of single-player 2 multiplayer is very very different in terms of expectations & playerbase needs.

Additionally, relative 2 most things, fighting games remain a relatively 'niche genre' in terms of appealing to ppl outside of the base (with the exception of something lilke smash). That monetization structure influences game design seems inarguable, and with a genre that remains closer to it's arcade roots like fighting games even moreso. Meaning an expensive and large fighting game release is inherently going 2 be driven to a degree by those choices maybe more than, say, Devil May Cry so I think it's worth looking at how they've approached it so far since it influences how the game is, will be, and personalyl i just think it's interesting to muse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uncensored Juri costume definitely looks better that the original SFV version. It's still her worst base costume but at least she isn't wearing several loving layers of latex anymore. That looked extra dumb.

Those Marisa and JP alts are so sick.
JP base costume is a bit meh but that alt is fantastic.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Is there a speedrun strategy for unlocking the classic costumes in World Tour as quickly as possible yet?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Double Bill posted:

Is there a speedrun strategy for unlocking the classic costumes in World Tour as quickly as possible yet?

Game isn't out yet?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Unlucky7 posted:

Game isn't out yet?

Look, the process of speedrunning speedrun strats is a very complicated one, and you can't let the concept of linear time stop you

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Unlucky7 posted:

Game isn't out yet?

lmao if you havent clipped out of the world to any% obtain the full game

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Game isn't out yet?

Buncha people playing with physical copies already.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Casually destroy child.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 1, 2023

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Casually destroy child.

She is clearly giving her love to the child.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

chumbler posted:

She is clearly giving her love to the child.

Love, delivered several Newtons at a time

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lmao

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
there's a battlepass?

edit: sigh. There's reportedly a battlepass. Capcom, between this and the sketchy AF move to hide the existence of Denuvo until after reviews went up, I am rapidly losing enthusiasm.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 1, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of the unlocks you get from Arcade Mode

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Looking at the unlockable costumes, I do think I actually prefer chun's older looks to her current. That's probably a ton of nostalgia doing some heavy lifting though

Of the other mostly originals I think cammy's new costume is the biggest glow up, I'll still unlock the classic one eventually but it's still baffling to me that people complained. Though I guess not that surprising considering the people mostly doing the complaining

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jps old man back would hurt so much sitting like that on the ground probably.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cammy's new costume is godlike but I'm not a fan of her new face.
It totally looks like she's just got a botox injection in her lips and I'm not a fan of that.

Real hurthling! posted:

Jps old man back would hurt so much sitting like that on the ground probably.

JP's upper body is loving ripped for an old man though, and some of his normals have him almost doing loving splits. I bet he doesn't have any back problems despite his age.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is psycho power a banned substance?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

Is psycho power a banned substance?

Over the counter in Canada

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Jack Trades posted:

It totally looks like she's just got a botox injection in her lips and I'm not a fan of that.

Honestly a number of characters have weird faces, it's my biggest complaint with the game's artstyle. It seems like they botched the faces in the transition from artwork to models for a few characters. They can look really good from certain angles, but then when the camera moves around a bit you start noticing how strange they look. Lily in particular has an odd, almost alien-looking face that looks like they couldn't decide if she was supposed to have the facial features of a child or an adult.

Bland fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 1, 2023

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Clean face mods when?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

can i play this game yet?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

KidDynamite posted:

can i play this game yet?

15 hours unless you do some vpn or system clock fuckery

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

She's poggin' out of control

(Yeah, she looks weird on the pre-match screen)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Soul Glo posted:

If you're in Australia it's apparently in two hours.

Finally, it's worth it to live here!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

aaaah my fightstick gets here today!

and i think I can take tomorrow off work without using pto!

and i just had a couple dozen pre-rolled joints delivered!

been getting more and more psyched for this all week, gonna have a highschool throwback weekend where I hang out and play video games all day and order pizza. except now my TV is bigger and my weed is better and my body is weaker actually I'm in way better shape now than i was in high school so

also my dog is smarter and better trained she's just the best

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

How long until Kiwi access? I was planning on flying to NZ for a couple of minutes.

Cleretic posted:

If you're in Australia it's apparently in two hours.

Finally, it's worth it to live here!

Ah. Neat.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Its about to unlock on Steam Australia, I am gonna try the vpn trick see if it works.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Did any of the reviews mention how long it takes to max out a character for the costume?

I'm almost certainly going to barely touch singleplayer for the next couple weeks, but if it's not too bad then I might at least get chun out of the way, maybe cammy? Hopefully the singleplayer will grab me when playing it, but I'd prefer not to use the fightcoins on things that I can just unlock via playing, even though the coins themselves are also gotten by playing if it's like the beta

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Looking at the unlockable costumes, I do think I actually prefer chun's older looks to her current. That's probably a ton of nostalgia doing some heavy lifting though

Personally hoping for her Alpha costume down the line.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Of the other mostly originals I think cammy's new costume is the biggest glow up, I'll still unlock the classic one eventually but it's still baffling to me that people complained. Though I guess not that surprising considering the people mostly doing the complaining

"How dare she pants."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Did any of the reviews mention how long it takes to max out a character for the costume?

I'm almost certainly going to barely touch singleplayer for the next couple weeks, but if it's not too bad then I might at least get chun out of the way, maybe cammy? Hopefully the singleplayer will grab me when playing it, but I'd prefer not to use the fightcoins on things that I can just unlock via playing, even though the coins themselves are also gotten by playing if it's like the beta

I work from home and have large times where I'm just sitting on a conference call for the sake of being there because I'm a manager, so I'll be doing a good chunk of PS Remote Play to work through the single player stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jack Trades posted:

One of the unlocks you get from Arcade Mode

I've seen a couple more of these and it's really nice of Capcom to also provide free stick art