Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Venuz Patrol posted:

i thought the ending of rain world was mediocre, but the ascent from the memory crypts to the top of five pebbles is one of my favorite sequences in any video game ever

Schwarzwald posted:

Agreed, the ending falling flat is its biggest failing.

Behind the loving rain deer.
I thought the ending was insane. I was honestly shook by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ciaphas posted:

Blasphemous is a tough one for me. I actually made it past that gate at the bridge that needed three bosses dead, but then stopped because by then it didn't seem like the gameplay was ever going to get any faster

I'm spoiled by the likes of Hollow Knight, Metroid Dread, and Ori & the Will of the Wisps, in that regard - Blasphemous just feels kinda slow & clunky by comparison. I'm always on the lookout for Metroidvanias like those, that feel good just to control

Agreed on Blasphemous. The art and the atmosphere are great but the gameplay just didn't work for me.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Lunsku posted:

Looks like a really strong bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

Hollow Knight
Rain World
Blasphemous
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Lost Ruins
Lone Funtus
Haiku, the Robot

I dont have any of these video games ty :kiddo:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's definitely my least favorite of the three (HK/Bloodstained/Blasphemous - I think EXTREMELY HIGHLY of Bloodstained and HK) but the art and vibe is just too crazy good and unique. It gets to live forever in my head.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress

I meant to do an effort post on Warhammer games for the skull sale but totally spaced it

uhhh, have the lighting round version

phone postin so search em up

there's lots of good uns, if you like B tier genre fare :v:

XCOM: Chaos Gate Daemonhunters

Larger scale tactical combat: Battlesector (one of the first using Nu40k lore, meaning new Space Marines and some galactic story progression if you give half of a poo poo about that nerd stuff)

Civ but ONLY WAR: Gladius (also base game is literally free, or it was, tons of factions dlc, these guys are also developing a new unique IP with the same core engine that is SO my jam thematically, Zephon

Grand Strategy + rts: Total Warhammer 3 (tons of factions dlc, maybe the only really AAA game on this list but you already own this is you're a Warhamster fan)

Strategy/RPG: Mechanicus (sick loving ost)

Space submarine simulator: Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2

Boomer shooter: Boltgun

FPS(lasher), fantasy: Vermintide 2
FPS(lasher), 40k: Darktide (also sick loving ost, both of them really)

FPS: Necromunda Hired Gun (there's also literally Necromunda and Mordheim but I can't recommend either)

ARPG: Inquisitor

Full RPG: Rogue Trader (not out yet, Pathfinder devs)

2D Metal Slug: Shootas Blood & Teef

Space Marine: Space Marine

I can't believe this exists: Space Marine 2 (not out yet, could suck, if it does I'm rioting)

What the gently caress no other explanation but orkz: Dakka Squadron, Speed Freeks (not recommend, just wtf)

I may be missing a few

By and large these range from high B to high C tier games, which can be pushed into A/B territory depending on your personal love for Warhammer and the genre in question.

A good chunk of these work fine or great on controller, and another chunk are fine or great on steam deck)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

now that i think about it i'm not sure i've actually played Bloodstained at all

pretty sure i own it, but,

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Tartarus Key is out. I really enjoyed the demo, hope it lives up to that. It'll wait until I'm done with System Shock though lol.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OzFactor posted:

edit: and Rain World owners absolutely have all three

I feel very seen

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I didn’t click with Blasphemous right away myself but it wore me down as a singular artistic vision that is just totally unique. If you’re really into fast movement and flying through levels without touching the ground I can see it not working for you, but I love how everything about it is heavy and ponderous and relentless and that includes the Penitent One.

edit: I am just now realizing that it is the exact opposite of Bloodstained, which is super floaty and both enemies and levels just seem totally random and placed without any real intentionality. I was really disappointed by Bloodstained.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 1, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

After struggling to try to enjoy Bloodstained on the Switch for ages I finally gave it a whirl on the Deck while recovering from surgery (i.e., on pills) and had a pretty good time with it.

God that Switch port sucked so much

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Wave posted:

I thought the ending was insane. I was honestly shook by it.

Conceptually and visually it's great, but it sucks to play. It's a long empty hallway after which you hold the down key for five minutes. It's tedious.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Lone Fungus is a lot of fun

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i really loved how deliberate blasphemous felt to play. i get why it wouldn't click with people but it nailed one of my favourite feelings in video games, which is that getting hosed up happened because of a mistake you made several seconds ago and the system mechanics (in the form of enemies or environmental hazards or whatever) slowly close in on you while you watch helplessly and is crushed. there's several very memorable encounters in it where you had to be very decisive and deliberate in trying to predict how the game would play out ahead of time, and then you had to execute your plan without hesitating, and when everything clicked into place it was just the best feeling ever. the parry felt so good to use and the riposte animations were nudoso.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i really loved how deliberate blasphemous felt to play. i get why it wouldn't click with people but it nailed one of my favourite feelings in video games, which is that getting hosed up happened because of a mistake you made several seconds ago and the system mechanics (in the form of enemies or environmental hazards or whatever) slowly close in on you while you watch helplessly and is crushed. there's several very memorable encounters in it where you had to be very decisive and deliberate in trying to predict how the game would play out ahead of time, and then you had to execute your plan without hesitating, and when everything clicked into place it was just the best feeling ever. the parry felt so good to use and the riposte animations were nudoso.

Blasphemous is one of those rare games where the theme was so repellent to me I just could not get into it. Amusingly the other one is Binding of Isaac, though I think that's more the art than the weird christian poo poo.

I realize this is a bad reason to not finish a very good game :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

victrix posted:

Blasphemous is one of those rare games where the theme was so repellent to me I just could not get into it. Amusingly the other one is Binding of Isaac, though I think that's more the art than the weird christian poo poo.

I realize this is a bad reason to not finish a very good game :v:

I mean when the game's identity is so based around the art it draws inspiration from, if you find that art repellent that's a fair reason to not want to play the game.

I am excited for Blasphemous two.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 1, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

OzFactor posted:

That's a pretty interesting bundle in that there probably isn't a single person in the world that doesn't have one of HK, Bloodstained, and Blasphemous that doesn't also have the other two. Or maybe like 90% all three and 99.9% two of three.

edit: and Rain World owners absolutely have all three

I have HK but not the other two. Given that I mostly purchase games on steep discounts, I have not had a chance to get the latter two.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the two sprite bloodstains are very strong and worth it, too. I actually prefer them over the "main" game quite abit, although I find curse a bit to chunky and awkward to want to replay it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bloodstained and Axiom Verge are the only metroidvanias I found to be interesting enough to play whole way through to completion, and I've played a whole bunch of them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's neat to see a high end metroidvania get two games out in under six years

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is Blasphemous really a metroidvania? I guess you get powers that can create mobility to access new areas in preset areas but that's just a more complex version of a key for a locked door. Most "soulslikes" games operate the same way which I consider closer to Blasphemous just in 2D.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Blasphemous really a metroidvania? I guess you get powers that can create mobility to access new areas in preset areas but that's just a more complex version of a key for a locked door.

:dafuq:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Blasphemous really a metroidvania? I guess you get powers that can create mobility to access new areas in preset areas but that's just a more complex version of a key for a locked door. I guess it depends on your definition because I consider it a soft soulslike and I wouldn't consider Dark Souls a metroidvania despite being focused around exploring the edges of the world for secrets.

It's a Knight-like or a Hollowvania

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Blasphemous really a metroidvania? I guess you get powers that can create mobility to access new areas in preset areas but that's just a more complex version of a key for a locked door. Most "soulslikes" games operate the same way which I consider closer to Blasphemous just in 2D.
I want to make fun of you but there are very few traversal abilities and I think they're all optional to reach what was the final boss at one point so I get how it feels different. It certainly has less backtracking than most and the majority of the backtracking is quest-related.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

I want to make fun of you but there are very few traversal abilities and I think they're all optional to reach what was the final boss at one point so I get how it feels different. It certainly has less backtracking than most and the majority of the backtracking is quest-related.

Yeah it's fuzzy. I more play Metroid than Vania so to me the games are defined by areas unlocking through the story and traversal mechanics allowing for access and movement as part of combat, but Castlevania doesn't really have that? The genre is kind of linked just by navigating a map with a lot of backtracking and from my (admittedly limited) experience with Blasphemous it was mostly forward progression unless you died or (as you said) had to double back for a specific NPC.

VVV I have been taught through my interactions with music nerds that genre pedantry is an act of glorious combat and now you all have to deal with it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 1, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ok game cops, my hands are up

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dark Souls is a Metroidvania

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This may be hard for some of you to accept, but I can't let this continue. Someone has to tell you- help you.

Metroidvania... is a lie

it never existed

there is only Simon's Quest-likes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wrong. There are only Zelda 2-likes and Monster World-likes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Odd Wilson posted:

This may be hard for some of you to accept, but I can't let this continue. Someone has to tell you- help you.

Metroidvania... is a lie

it never existed

there is only Simon's Quest-likes

well duh, it's because it's a abbreviation of Metroid v. Wrestlemania

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kazil posted:

well duh, it's because it's a abbreviation of Metroid v. Wrestlemania

Yknow I thought that Hulk Hogan seemed out of place in Hollow Knight but I clearly just didn't understand the genre.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a worse title for a good game than Wonder Boy V: Monster World III

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a worse title for a good game than Wonder Boy V: Monster World III

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

edit: I don't know if it's a good game tho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1664264044117651457

These mfs think they're the STL Cardinals

quote:

Development of Redfall began in 2018. At the time, ZeniMax — the large, privately held owner of Bethesda Softworks — was looking to sell itself. Behind the scenes, the company was encouraging its studios to develop games that could generate revenue beyond the initial sales, a popular trend dubbed “games as a service,” which was taking off in the late 2010s thanks to lucrative hits like Overwatch and Fortnite.

Oh? I hadn't noticed that happening to every triple A game in the last 5 years.

quote:

Arkane was also perpetually understaffed, said people familiar with its production. The studio’s Austin office employed less than 100 people— sufficient for a relatively small, single-player game like Prey but not enough to compete with multiplayer behemoths like Fortnite and Destiny, which are developed by teams of hundreds. Even additional support from ZeniMax’s Wisconsin-based Roundhouse Studios and other outsourcing houses couldn’t fill the gaps, they say.

Morale at Arkane suffered. Veteran workers who weren’t interested in developing a multiplayer game left in droves. By the end of Redfall’s development, roughly 70% of the Austin staff who had worked on Prey would no longer be at the company, according to people familiar as well as a Bloomberg analysis of LinkedIn and Prey’s credits.

Good lord 70% turnover

Details aside, it's the same old story, understaffed studio told to chase trend, given no direction or resources, tons of dev time put into monetization mechanics that get scrapped as pubs realize that every single gamer hates GAAS and yanks them at the last second and puts out a dogshit game.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 1, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They were trying to compete with Fortnite and Destiny? That's the very definition of hubris. Retain players with live service poo poo, okay, but that's a bar you just aren't going to reach.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"This next project is our Fortnite-killer" - 100 soon to be fired VPs over the last 5 years.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like AAA devs at some point need to discover the concept of a sunk cost so when they announce a game and the nearly universal reaction is 'wtf, why?' maybe they'll decide to do something better instead.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It's such a bummer that a fantastic game like Prey didn't sell well enough and they felt like they had to go in such a different direction.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If I remember rightly, Zenimax was refusing to send review copies of their games at the time and the marketing was all over the place and not representative of the final game. I certainly remember the overall reaction to the game being pleasantly surprised when people realized it was essentially System Shock 3.

Zenimax had themselves to blame for Prey 2017 not selling well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's no world in which Prey would sell well.
None of Arkane's game sell well, especially not the good ones.

It's one of those genres that reviews extremely well but sells like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
It also doesn't help that Zenimax forced them to use the name Prey even though the cancellation of Prey 2 was still fresh in people's minds.