Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the remaster of Ted Lasso, Colin's gay kiss will be interrupted by two droids celebrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

AmbientParadox posted:

The Roy-Jamie-Keely triangle isn't resolved, so I'm guessing that's just meant to be part of the spin-off.

i think her shutting the door in both their faces was a fairly clear resolution actually

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Adrianics posted:

That Stonehenge scene was one of the most badly put together scenes I've seen in a major production in many, many years lmao it just looked like complete poo poo

To be fair looking like a lovely halfassed Thomas Kincaid painting is kind of the perfect capstone to the show imo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe Ted just dreamed that part

Also maybe his plane crashed on the way home and he dreamed the part where he arrived back in the country and rolled right up to his ex's house

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ted's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I wonder if someone will release what the original plot was going to be before the rewrites, and what the concern was over needing to do them (though I assume most if not all were because of Sudeikis leaving).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hated it. Not for being bad as for being so offensively mediocre. Par for the course considering the rest of the season, but I guess deep down I was still hoping for a couple good twists or payoffs that never happened.

I'm sure I'm repeating myself at this point, but this has been really disappointing all the way through, considering how much I like the setting and the actors. It's like you've got all the cool toys but you're not allowed to play with them unless you're playing with your little sister, and she'll only ever play Tea Party.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The episode was fine. Whatever, relatively nice end to the show. I could complain more about Nate's entire character/storyline but it's not really worth it.

From a football/sport perspective though, woof:

The chairman of the away team storms on to the pitch and assaults his manager and then just... walks off? There's no security stopping him, there's no police to take him away for literally assaulting someone on live TV, it's all just hunky dory (and then of course he gets thrown out offscreen).

The penalty that went through the net would have been ruled a goal immediately thanks to Goal Line Technology. Wouldn't have even been an issue. Mike Dean would know this.

This might be just framing etc. but Zoreaux clearly punched that ball outside of the area before the offside.

The CGI on some of the crowd shots is just woeful. For the finale you'd expect better.

Why did Mike Dean signal a touchdown at the final whistle that was just weird and bizarre.

I'm glad it's over. Not in a "this was poo poo and I don't want to watch it anymore" way, I'm just happy they managed to wrap it up in a way they wanted to.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still hate hate hate the character development for Beard that he's an actual criminal drug addict. It just makes all the scenes where we're supposed to laugh at how goofy he is 'lol, he's in a red thong!' hard to enjoy. Show completely destroyed the character by being super flippant about that, and for the sake of a emotional beat in a single episode.

What the gently caress happened with Nate this season. He's just... back?

Show wasn't smart enough to juggle the interesting characters they started with. It sucks that they were given all the resources in the world (presumably. They licensed a Beatles song, bunch of the episodes ballooned in length) and this is what it got used for.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 31, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

EvilHawk posted:

The episode was fine. Whatever, relatively nice end to the show. I could complain more about Nate's entire character/storyline but it's not really worth it.

From a football/sport perspective though, woof:

The chairman of the away team storms on to the pitch and assaults his manager and then just... walks off? There's no security stopping him, there's no police to take him away for literally assaulting someone on live TV, it's all just hunky dory (and then of course he gets thrown out offscreen).

The penalty that went through the net would have been ruled a goal immediately thanks to Goal Line Technology. Wouldn't have even been an issue. Mike Dean would know this.

This might be just framing etc. but Zoreaux clearly punched that ball outside of the area before the offside.

The CGI on some of the crowd shots is just woeful. For the finale you'd expect better.

Why did Mike Dean signal a touchdown at the final whistle that was just weird and bizarre.

I'm glad it's over. Not in a "this was poo poo and I don't want to watch it anymore" way, I'm just happy they managed to wrap it up in a way they wanted to.

Is the owner of a team going down onto the pitch not normal? Maybe it would be different if the owner had to walk through the opponent's sideline first, but you see owners on the field all the time in American Football, just usually not assaulting anyone. That said, if Jerry Jones walked onto the field and pushed Mike McCarthy around absolutely nothing would happen to him, in his own stadium or away.

Something I've thought of before when watching or reading people's complaints about the soccer "realism" in this show, is sometimes the show feels like it takes story beats typical of American Football or generic sports media, then just replaces the sport with soccer. The win streaks, the video review uncertainty, the in season playstyle changes, they all remind of me of stuff that would happen either in Football normally or be in a movie based on Football.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 31, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also, what the gently caress was the point of spending the first half the season on Zava only for him to send t shirts and a big avocado at the end. It's so puzzling.

I think what's particularly jarring is that the show is preaching a kind of emotional maturity and means to achieve it -- but this season none of the bits have been written smart enough to land or be memorable.

Feel like one epitome of it is that we spend a minute watching a montage of fun moments the team had, which we didn't see in the show itself, and in which we don't learn anything new. The team that we've seen loves and has fun together loves and has fun together. Cool. No interesting developments or things learned, just the the show self-congradulating itself.

It's not ending as bad as Game of Thrones, but it's a trainwreck that will make it hard to ever recommend the show to others.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tweak posted:

the video review uncertainty

This is most certainly a thing in football.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I didn’t know it was possible to make tv this bad but honestly I’m impressed. Viewing the last few episodes (or most of the season) as the writers burning everything to the ground as a big gently caress you to everyone is the only way any of this makes sense.

I mean, what absolute dogshit hahaha. Still cried, still love my football friends.

I had to look away from the tv multiple times because I was so embarrassed for the people on the screen. Stonehenge fever dream ruled though gently caress the haters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also this show pulled so many punches with Colin's coming out story, like first it takes the cowardly route of having him only come out to the team so not doing the whole 'first openly gay footballer' plotline that would have perhaps felt inappropriate with the whole fantasy cartoonishness of the show and the fact that in the real world as of the year 2023 no active premier league footballer has over come out as openly gay, and yet despite being too cowardly to actually tackle a perhaps meaningful topic that might have had some nuanced criticism against the premier league and english football culture in general we still get the kiss during the post match celebrations, because why not, isn't colin brave? isn't this character growth? isn't football for everyone?

He and his BF kissing went completely unnoticed and unacknowledged by anyone. It was incredible, wasn't even a non-issue for the fans in-show, it was more like a figment of the TV audience's imagination

Anyway the flight attendant being all "what a loving rear end in a top hat" was a pretty rough LOL. I was in full "well at least everything is wrapping up all pat-like, and I can sit back and imagine if I were Ted and enjoying the bittersweetness of all of this and at least everyone thinks well of me as I exit" and then that line drops. That's the stuff nightmares are made of

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

EvilHawk posted:

As soon as he touched it I assumed that the red card would be the adversity they had to overcome.

I'd completely forgotten who the west ham coach was somehow.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The season probably could have used a couple extra episodes to flesh out a couple story beats that happened off screen, but I thought the last episode was heartwarming and I'm at a point in my life where I need more feel good shows like this. :unsmith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wasn't he also the TV host?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

There's so many little things that just annoyed gently caress out of me these past two seasons, I was addicted to hating this show.

Richmond die hards (who never watch the home games live, perhaps priced out?) buy a loving millionaire her pub lunch as a thank you? Fucccck upppp.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I just realized that Rebecca's mom is the Roy failchildren mom.

Same.

Steiv posted:

I dunno about Nate’s arc, but I definitely teared up at the locker room scene where he and Ted were talking about the sign.

Same, a little. For a show that reduced me to tears at an incredible rate in S1, I was surprised just how little I felt watching this finale.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

The Hausu Usher posted:

There's so many little things that just annoyed gently caress out of me these past two seasons, I was addicted to hating this show.

Richmond die hards (who never watch the home games live, perhaps priced out?) buy a loving millionaire her pub lunch as a thank you? Fucccck upppp.

Yeah, the show weirdly seems to forget at times that these characters are fantastically wealthy and famous. It's not like it disqualifies them from having problems worth the watching, but when the show moved away from the majority of the cast being hosed up cynics in Season 2 it just started to feel like you were watching a bunch of rich people gas each other up. So yeah, a soon-to-be billionaire getting her salad paid for doesn't really hit the way they want it to.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they should have consulted nate and made a diorama

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EvilHawk posted:

I had the same thought, but in retrospect I decided advantage was played. Though now I'm wondering if you can play advantage and then dish out the red card later?

ilmucche posted:

I'd completely forgotten who the west ham coach was somehow.

Oh did we know it was that guy? I just assumed it was more offscreen plot to baffle anyone who dared forget a minor character from past seasons (not me I recognized him :smug:).

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't he also the TV host?

Yep.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I feel like the scene where Ted & Rebecca sit in the stands to talk about his decision to leave could have been when he initially told her; and the scene when he talks to Nate about the sign could have been when Nate initially came back, rather than having both of those moments happen off camera only to rehash them during Ted's last day (which wasn't actually his last day). Weird framing all around.

I assume the spinoff will be called "The Richmond Way" after Ted told Trent to change his book title to that since it was "never about him".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pokeyman posted:

Oh did we know it was that guy? I just assumed it was more offscreen plot to baffle anyone who dared forget a minor character from past seasons (not me I recognized him :smug:).

Yep.

I had him front of mind because they've had him on enough talking poo poo about Ted it seemed like they were setting up for him to grudgingly concede that he knew what he was doing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You could very very clearly see the outline of Beard's penis in that red thong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Would be a weird thong otherwise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Put 'em away, coach

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Lmao they gave Shandy a happy ending

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Definitely thought I heard someone say something about getting that, “banger” app

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Hausu Usher posted:

I can see someone doing that, but weirder is that at a pub in the UK someone didn't pay at the bar when they ordered

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Still hate hate hate the character development for Beard that he's an actual criminal drug addict. It just makes all the scenes where we're supposed to laugh at how goofy he is 'lol, he's in a red thong!' hard to enjoy. Show completely destroyed the character by being super flippant about that, and for the sake of a emotional beat in a single episode.
Apparently you haven't encountered a lot of Coach Beard types in your life. Usually the fun wacky goofy folks actually turn out to be secret or not so secret addicts or psychologically crippled in some way or both. This is one of the most true revelations in the entire course of this whole stupid show.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I think it's fair to say that Coach Beard could easily be a real person, but also say that the whole "I was an addict and Ted helped me out" thing was out of left field / unearned + late in the game, like so many things on the show. It can be both and they stem from different viewpoints.

Personally I feel like if they wanted to have that payoff, it would have been a hundred times more meaningful if it was explored in the episode where Beard gets into all of his wacky hijinks. It feels weird to go there so late especially in tandem with the Nate storyline which was objectively just complete trash; they very obviously had plans for Nate (and plans for the show to last for at least 1-2 more seasons) that were scrapped to the great detriment of his arc.

I'm in a weird place with the show after it ended.

On one hand, Season 3 really made me wonder if the show was really just poo poo the whole time and we didn't notice it because it's a show early in its arc could go a million places. So you don't think too hard on the specifics and just enjoy the ride. It's only when the show has to stick some kind of landing that it became clear the show had absolutely... no vision for anything it was doing.

Then you have stuff like the Keely storyline which in retrospect feels like an obvious tie in to a future show, and that's why it got so much airtime in the 3rd season. Which feels kinda poo poo imo honestly, and I have trouble believing that a secondary property will do well because it lacks the pandemic thrust that really captured the audience for Lasso in general.

It also explains the extra run time; they wanted to land the Lasso story while also giving air time to circumstances and tie ins that would matter on some kind of follow-up property, probably? It might have worked if they had any single idea on how to land the main part of the show.

Did anyone feel like they just leaned comically hard into the "nothing matters" approach as it became clear how hosed everything was with the resolutions they had planned? At some point they were just like, ok this is a Lifetime Movie but with ballsacks and thongs. It almost felt like a defense mechanism, or even a jab? At people who wanted the show to be good. "it was never supposed to be classically good" is imo the byline of much of the third season, especially the latter parts.

It really depends on why you watch shows. If you watch Ted Lasso to feel nice, and I'm sure many people do- my wife being one who kept telling me I was "overthinking it" when I was loving shocked that Ted literally didn't attend Beard's wedding to like... go home and hang out with his wife who left him for their therapist? (among so many other things).

One part I thought was good was how they were just like "Ted wants to go home and he doesn't care how much good poo poo he's leaving behind" because that very much feels like the top-level situation here; Jason could stay making the show and they would probably toss all the Apple money at him, but he wants to do something else, ok fair, parallels, I get it.

But at the same time nothing about Ted's retreat to America felt right or earned. He wants to go back to his wife? He wants to leave everything he's painstakingly constructed at Richmond, for his kid? Like, that's cool, kids are cool, but his kid was barely a side story. Which makes his emotional turmoil feel incredibly unearned for me, and pragmatically he's what, going to do jack poo poo and make $10 an hour coaching soccer or whatever the poo poo they're implying at the end?

There were also parts of Ted Lasso that were always great, even if all the best parts became self-referential parodies of themselves who weren't given enough screen time to feel good. Roy was always a pleasure. Nate is cool and got done real dirty, I have no ill will towards Nate. They somehow had the self-restraint to use Dani Rojas exactly correctly and never overstayed his welcome. His Zorro mask arc with that other dude was funny and strangely cute and I love how they never made it too sappy but were just like "Dani really is this competitive and can be a huge shitter" which was refreshing.

It feels clear to me that the show was supposed to go on but got cancelled, which explains soooo much of what occurred during season 3: the quick and lovely resolutions, unearned, uh, literally everything, shoe-horned in plot beats that feel like hastily constructed bridge points to a future show of dubious quality (Keely...)

That all being said, ultimately Ted Lasso ended in a way that was built to satisfy the core people who still loved the show; which is to say, people who wanted to feel good (for whatever reason, like someone said maybe that's where they are in their life they just need a pick me up, which is fair) and they built the end of the show in a way that allowed all of those people, who broadly speaking don't give a poo poo about the story, to get the feels and end on a good note. Which honestly probably makes sense; why end a show trying to please people who you can no longer please? The well had run dry. There were no good resolutions to be had, so they punted. Idk what else they could do at that point, so I get it.

Cheers Ted, you were there when we needed you. Ultimately Beard wearing a thong for Reasons and that coach's balls falling out is a perfect alignment for where the show ended up, so I think everyone involved understands the score. It was never about solid narrative in the same way that it was never about football :shrug: maybe the people who wanted a good story are the ones who are wrong, maybe it was never that show in the first place :shrug:

The last thing I will say is that Rupert was done insanely dirty even by Lasso standards; "mean guy wears Darth Vader cape and makes a guys balls come out as the resolution to his entire arc" is probably the most singularly cynical moment of a TV show I've ever seen, especially in contrast with how they tried to give Rupert's character some nuance in the "girl boss gives a football speech at dinner" episode, good grief lol

CPColin posted:

Remember when Rupert stormed down from the owners' box in his Darth Vader cape and pushed over his manager and made his balls pop out

Good poo poo. I cackled so hard when I read this post that my wife thought I had gone insane, but it's so true.

Extreme "you can't make fun of me if I make fun of myself" energy

Btw did Ted gently caress Rebecca? I had no idea what was going on in that conversation other than "We're making this intentionally ambigous like everything else we don't have the time or effort remaining to flesh out" and it was hard to focus on that conversation because all I could think was "Beard in a thong is a perfect analogy for this entire season"

Legit curious: if anyone liked this show by the end, what are your other favorite shows?

Taima fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 1, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taima posted:

Btw did Ted gently caress Rebecca? I had no idea what was going on in that conversation other than "We're making this intentionally ambigous like everything else we don't have the time or effort remaining to flesh out" and it was hard to focus on that conversation because all I could think was "Beard in a thong is a perfect analogy for this entire season"

No, but they wanted us to think that they did, briefly, since so many other loving major things happened offscreen this season.

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taima posted:

Nah. They were just trying to do a "clever" fakeout to start the episode.

Ted's comment about the "when you called us about a gas leak :haw:" devolving into a Lasso-trademark fart joke was just about the most "yeah yeah, get on with it" I've ever felt in this show

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
As a few people covering the show have noted, Apple aren't divulging if anything is next. They've not even confirmed it's the end for the show even though it clearly is. They've clearly dangled those threads out there but without knowing if anything is going to come of it.

Also, you really feel the loss of Bill Lawrence this season. It's not like the guy is some secret genius or something, but it's the most experienced hand they have and it's hard to imagine this Season playing out the same way if he was on board.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

higgins valued the club at around two billion. he was the one who said they had offers for the 49% so you have to assume his estimate for the full thing is pretty close.

so how did the fans raise a billion to buy the 49%?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

ilmucche posted:

I can see someone doing that, but weirder is that at a pub in the UK someone didn't pay at the bar when they ordered

I've been to the real-life pub in Richmond, and it's always understandably rammed as it's right by the green and high street, so it was quite funny to see Mae hand-delivering individual pints to each of her clientele a few episodes back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

higgins valued the club at around two billion. he was the one who said they had offers for the 49% so you have to assume his estimate for the full thing is pretty close.

Mae is a secret billionaire.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lmao I had this exact question but hesitated posting it because I was like "surely, surely, surely I am missing something"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know much about company trading (beyond what the psychopaths in Industry get up to) but could Rebecca have agreed to sell the shares to the fans below their estimated value?