Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What's the reason for saving diamonds? I've only found one armour that they upgrade and it's not one I care about
You can make or remake each Sage’s legendary weapons with them (and a few other materials) once you beat that temple, like you could in BotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Oxygen Not Included:

* Gasses pass through airlock doors as your dupes pass through them. To avoid gas mixing in rooms you really want to be pure or to avoid caustic/germy gasses getting into your living areas, the easiest way is to make a small liquid-filled passage with no roof clearance above the liquid level in the middle. Basically, a little pool where your dupes need to completely submerge to go under a wall to get to the other side. These gas barrier pools are often called "liquid locks."

* Water and saltwater are fine to use for your liquid locks in most situations (don't use polluted water, it emits polluted air), but keep in mind the environmental temperature - you need to use different liquids in areas above 100C or below 0C.

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It can be a time consuming hassle to filter unwanted liquids from a pool or gasses from the air. It's far better to keep them from mixing to begin with. So, try to plan out where liquids will flow when digging and set up your liquid locks before breaching into areas with new gasses or polluted air. And have at least an oxygen mask checkpoint and liquid lock set up before entering a slimelung-infested area. You don't want your dupes getting infected and coughing out diseased air all over your base.

* Duplicants won't queue up for sinks/washbasins. If it's already in use, they'll just walk on by. So, to keep your dupes from spreading food poisoning germs all over your base, you want your bathrooms to have only one exit and one sink/basin for every toilet/outhouse.

* Stagger your dupes' shifts and you'll need fewer toilets, sinks, and such.

* Compost piles are an early game trap. If your dupes compost the polluted dirt from your outhouses, the "purified" dirt produced will still be contaminated with food poisoning germs. Your farmers will blissfully use this diseased dirt to fertilize your food crops, contaminating them. To avoid getting your dupes sick, wait until you have a germ-killing chlorine gas room to disinfect your old outhouse waste before building a compost pile.

* Conversely, it's fine to pipe your toilet waste water to irrigate Thimble Reeds in hydroponic farm tiles, and doing so can be a good way to both get rid of the germy polluted water and help get your first atmo suits made.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 30, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A few tips for the complex card based survivla game Card Survival: Tropical Island

All tips below are focused on the Hunter, only starter character.

- At the start your biggest source of water is going to be coconut water (sharp rock on husked coconut) and rain that you collect by catching it in empty coconut shells. When you drink/eat coconut products your "stool liquidty" stat will go up (yes its that kind of game) which will eventually give you diarrhea, which then drives your hydration down. Therefore you want to limit your coconut product consumption to only once or twice a day. For collecting water in coconuts you have to wait until it's raining and then manually set the coconuts to collect rain, it isn't automatic.

- Always be researching something. You can pause research in one thing to pick up another without penalty so if all else fails you can research meals or clothing until you unlock something that you really want. A good way to get your feet wet in progressing up the tech tree at the start is to make a woven palm frond (use frond on frond) which allows you to research baskets, which are storage against animals but also can be carried in your inventory for overall carry weight reduction.

- Make sure you go in and look at all the bars on the status menu, and check the in-game help too. There's some critical info in some of the help entries that you wouldn't think of normally.

- The fishing spear is cheap, good for fishing, and also good for self defense so make sure you make one. A harpoon is better but requires more time commitment. If you get an animal event then consider the damage they can do to you; birds are completely safe and macaques may give you a fairly easily treated bite but boars can break your leg (hard to fix, slows you down, incredibly painful) and monitor lizards are disease factories.

- It can be worthwhile to pick cards up and go hold them over all the lit up cards, there's a lot of interactions you might not think of otherwise.

- There is a critical path to follow early game: Search for the jungle entrance from the beach, and then search for the Wetlands. go to the Wetlands and search til you find at least one, preferably both availible puddles. these refill in the rain to give you unsafe (needs to be boiled) water, but also you need to dig up mud and combine it with sand to make a mud brick, plus make clay once.. This unlocks a really key crafting chain and you should be returning there frequently whenever it rains and refreshes.

- Don't wear yourself out, it drives up your water and calorie burning. If you start getting low stamina (especially if you get a notification pop up telling you that you are) then take a rest via the clock menu which takes 15 minute.

- If you get wounded then you need to clean the wound and cover it. A certain plant in the jungle can be made into bandages, and once you make a loom it's really easy to make ash bandages and put them in your satchel just in case. You can use salt water to wash wounds (fill a container with ocean water, use on wound, can't just wash your whole body) but it gives a mood debuff.

- If you eat a lot of one thing you'll see a notification pop up that shows a few icons of that food. That means your character is getting sick of eating it, and if you keep eating a lot it can make them really stressed.

- To keep stress down and morale up you can do fun activities, and it's a good idea to dip into them if you have time. Diving in the sea is fun and gets you items, and building a sandcastle is the same. Don't try and fill the entertainment bar because you won't, just do it once or twice to push back depression.

- The "hunger" system is really deceptive. You want to eat prepared meals with fat and oil in them to keep your weight up, and generally eat til you get "I may have eaten too much". This will increase your appetite and allow you to eat more without getting nauseous, and will help keep your weight up.Once you get a cooking pot the easiest good meal to make is island chicken/fish which requires bird meat or fish, coconut milk (not coconut water! Made by using the meat on an empty shell), and "greens" which the snakegrass that is all over the jungle can fill. When you make the coconut milk you'll have two half portions, use one bowl on the other to get one fully filled bowl for the recipie.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What's the reason for saving diamonds? I've only found one armour that they upgrade and it's not one I care about

AFAIK all the region specific gear (such as daybreaker/sword of the seven) require diamonds to forge/repair.

Up to you if you want to use them though, they're not really good enough to justify the high buy-in.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

Oxygen Not Included:

I've added these to the already long list of tips on the wiki, which I assume you've seen? From my quick glance your tips don't clash with the ones already on there, but I haven't played the game so I can't tell easily.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Elden Ring, there's a lot of stuff on the wiki covered by in-game tutorials if you go through the Cave of Knowledge at the beginning.

I skipped it initially because of the reputation of FromSoft games, thinking maybe it was some kind of trap or too good to be true but I went back to it after venturing out into the world for a while and it's extremely useful to newbies, almost to the point I'd argue it should have been mandatory.

To condense it down to a bullet point:

quote:

Don't skip the Cave of Knowledge at the beginning. It's a short tutorial area that will teach you a bunch of things covered in this wiki.

And it should probably go at the top.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 31, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also 'remember to turn tutorial messages off if you find yourself doing it ten dozen times'

(I thought the strength emote was an attribute point for the longest time)

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I've just started Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and have largely avoided spoilers and things and have two questions:
Is there a good summary video of what happened in the previous game? I did finish it but it was years ago and my memories are vague.
In the title, does "Tears" mean the stuff that you cry, or a rip in something?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It's kind of like the binding of isaac. You cry, they die.

Edit: to be useful:
As I've been replaying Breath of the Wild before I dive into the sequel I thought I'd add a few tips of my own that aren't in the wiki:

Don't read any of this, discover it all for yourself.

Anyway...
Use the stasis ability to highlight the environment in yellow and see everything you can pick up clearly - especially useful in heavily forrested areas with lots of grass and foliage.
Use the magnet ability to see half-buried chests from a distance.
If you need cash early game hunt deer, collect all their prime meat and make 5-stacks of meat skewers, then sell those to whoever for hundreds of rupees a go. A good place to do this is the field called Rabia Plain to the northeast of Kakariko Village.
Pay attention to elemental types: If you see an ice lizard-thing shoot it with a fire arrow. If you see a wizard with a fire wand flying at you, shoot it with an ice arrow etc.
Each town you get to in areas with extreme environments usually have shops that sell gear that will mitigate the environmental hazard. If the gear is too expensive, see the deer farming tip above.
Your ice-spell works in the brown quick-sand type of mud. It also works side-ways on waterfalls.
Always make sure you have a bunch of each type of arrow on you. If you can't afford that, see the tip above about hunting deer.
The quickest way to tame a horse you just captured is to hold an apple and stand in front of it so it eats it, then repeat until it's at 100%. Apples aren't the only thing they'll eat, and some things you can feed them will transfer abilities to the horse.
Do all your cooking in the last 25 minutes before a bloodmoon.
One of the tips here says beeline Hateno village before branching out. This is true and recommended, but I'd go further: Beeline the four divine beasts before exploring the rest of the world. Of course, play however you want it doesn't really matter, but if you're wanting efficiency...

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 31, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Vidaeus posted:

I've just started Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and have largely avoided spoilers and things and have two questions:
Is there a good summary video of what happened in the previous game? I did finish it but it was years ago and my memories are vague.
Honestly there's so little connective tissue between BotW's and TotK's stories I don't think it's necessary at all to know what happened in BotW to play the new game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I can summarize here pretty quickly. Spoiler tagging just in case:

Some time more than 100 years ago, Hyrule made some archeological finds warning them of a great evil prophesied to return, as well as schematics to make high tech weaponry in order to combat it. They spent time building the Gaurdians, autonomous robots designed to fight the evil, as well as the Divine Beasts (gigantic mecha piloted by a champion from each race). Then, 100 years ago, Calamity Ganon showed up before they expected it and hacked all the Gaurdians and Beasts, causing them to turn on Hyrule. The kingdom was destroyed, the champions were killed, Link was mortally wounded and taken to a hidden high tech medical facility to recover, while Zelda locked herself away with Calamity Ganon to keep him at bay until Link could heal.

Present day, Link awakens with his memories gone. He makes contact with Impa, who was alive 100 years ago and remembers what happened. She send Link to recover his memories by visiting important sites from his past, and tasks him with cleansing and recovering the Divine Beasts in order to save Zelda and defeat Calamity Ganon. Link finds new champions of each race that help him free the Beasts, in spite of the efforts of the Yiga Clan (a ninja cult dedicated to ending the world), and recovers the Master Sword from the Deku Tree. Link faces down Calamity Ganon and defeats it, destroying it for good with the help of Zelda.

Freed from her imprisonment, Zelda and Link reconnect and set out to restore the kingdom together.

Tears of the Kingdom starts some handful of years after BotW. Tears refers to the crying type, the meaning of which will become very apparent as you play.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 31, 2023

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I can summarize here pretty quickly. Spoiler tagging just in case:

Some time more than 100 years ago, Hyrule made some archeological finds warning them of a great evil prophesied to return, as well as schematics to make high tech weaponry in order to combat it. They spent time building the Gaurdians, autonomous robots designed to fight the evil, as well as the Divine Beasts (gigantic mecha piloted by a champion from each race). Then, 100 years ago, Calamity Ganon showed up before they expected it and hacked all the Gaurdians and Beasts, causing them to turn on Hyrule. The kingdom was destroyed, the champions were killed, Link was mortally wounded and taken to a hidden high tech medical facility to recover, while Zelda locked herself away with Calamity Ganon to keep him at bay until Link could heal.

Present day, Link awakens with his memories gone. He makes contact with Impa, who was alive 100 years ago and remembers what happened. She send Link to recover his memories by visiting important sites from his past, and tasks him with cleansing and recovering the Divine Beasts in order to save Zelda and defeat Calamity Ganon. Link finds new champions of each race that help him free the Beasts, in spite of the efforts of the Yiga Clan (a ninja cult dedicated to ending the world), and recovers the Master Sword from the Deku Tree. Link faces down Calamity Ganon and defeats it, destroying it for good with the help of Zelda.

Freed from her imprisonment, Zelda and Link reconnect and set out to restore the kingdom together.

Tears of the Kingdom starts some handful of years after BotW. Tears refers to the crying type, the meaning of which will become very apparent as you play.

Thanks so much for this succinct story summary! I remembered bits and pieces of this from playing BoTW years ago, but this definitely helped flesh out some more detail.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lobok posted:

For Elden Ring, there's a lot of stuff on the wiki covered by in-game tutorials if you go through the Cave of Knowledge at the beginning.

I skipped it initially because of the reputation of FromSoft games, thinking maybe it was some kind of trap or too good to be true but I went back to it after venturing out into the world for a while and it's extremely useful to newbies, almost to the point I'd argue it should have been mandatory.

To condense it down to a bullet point:

And it should probably go at the top.

So many people skipped the cave at launch that they had to patch in a figure pointing down into the cave and I think a message saying 'HEY GO HERE STUPID'. :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember what message there was but I skipped it because it's my first FromSoft game and based on their rep I thought "Cave of Knowledge" was more or less a trap.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cave of knowledge is the new goatse

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fromsoft’s reputation has really hosed with people new to the games. Tons of folks who thought they were supposed to kill Marge right away or figured that you only were allowed to level up after doing so.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lobok posted:

I don't remember what message there was but I skipped it because it's my first FromSoft game and based on their rep I thought "Cave of Knowledge" was more or less a trap.
An elegant way to ensure that From veterans will skip the tutorial they probably don't need!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The new zelda could be called tiers of the kingdom and it would actually still work.

Here's some more stuff that's really more of a confessional for my own screwups:
  • Don't write off rewind as a niche puzzle ability, it's every bit a part of your open world toolkit as the other abilities and should be experimented with. It'll make objects re-trace whatever path they took though the air, even if they're no longer connected to anything, and the range is surprisingly long so it can be used for recovering stuff that falls down a hill even if it's mundane things like monster parts.
  • Don't sleep too long on unlocking the great fairy pod once you run into one the first time. Most armor you find will have a similarly low defense rating value and even the cheap first level upgrades will roughly double it. Once you unlock the first one, they'll be marked on the map and you can work on the rest whenever you want.
  • The stamina cost for shooting an arrow while in the air is per shot now rather than being consumed over time. Take time to aim and don't spam shots.
  • Some areas of the depths aren't directly accessible from each other and many have high sheer cliff faces that may or may not actually have anything at the top. It's not great for blind exploring, so try to get an idea where things are located and whether the areas are connected before trotting off.

yook fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 1, 2023

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

yook posted:

The new zelda could be called tiers of the kingdom and it would actually still work.

Here's some more stuff that's really more of a confessional for my own screwups:
  • Some areas of the depths aren't directly accessible from each other and many have high sheer cliff faces that may or may not actually have anything at the top. It's not great for blind exploring, so try to get an idea where things are located and whether the areas are connected before trotting off.

The depths and Hyrule essentially mirror each other - Mountains in Hyrule are canyons underneath, and deep chasms are mirrored as impassable cliff walls, as is ocean.
Most of the depths are a big continuous mess but there are several small isolated pockets. Not all chasms are visible from above, either. Looking at you, Rito Village .

The game only points this out once - each Shrine has a Lightroot beneath it (with the same name but reversed), and each Lightroot has a shrine above it. This helps you find some of the harder to locate shrines / roots.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 13, 2023

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

As someone who played blind and enjoyed discovering this organically, I would spoiler tag all of this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unponderable posted:

As someone who played blind and enjoyed discovering this organically, I would spoiler tag all of this.
There's a reason we trim pages on the wiki, and it's because people get so excited about sharing a thing they love that they don't stop to consider what may be unwanted or information overload.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

girl dick energy posted:

There's a reason we trim pages on the wiki, and it's because people get so excited about sharing a thing they love that they don't stop to consider what may be unwanted or information overload.

It's probably not an unusual thought but I often read through posts on this thread for games I have no intention of playing because this is true and I find it incredibly charming.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

ahobday posted:

I've added these to the already long list of tips on the wiki, which I assume you've seen? From my quick glance your tips don't clash with the ones already on there, but I haven't played the game so I can't tell easily.
Yes, I checked to make sure there weren't clashes/overlaps before posting.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
To each their own, I guess. I wound up trying to explore it the same way as other areas of the game, but mostly found it wound up being a lot of time-consuming tedium watching link slowly climb walls only hit a dead end or not be able to scout out any new locations to check out once I got somewhere because it's all cave walls and blackness. There's not much in the way of systemically checking things out since there's no auto map either, so I mostly assumed I missed some entryway or had to keep following the wall, which can take a long time to do with how big the areas are. I didn't really figure it out organically so much as eventually gave up and have the game explicitly tell me during a quest chain, so it felt like I'd wasted a good chunk of time in an already long game.

Usually I stick to posting UI / QoL stuff in here since I actively try not to spoil/tutorialize everything or push people into having a specific experience with the game, so when I include something else it means it was enough of a net negative to be worth mentioning. Like, I could write an essay on cool little tricks with rewind to gush about, but I tried to leave that out for people to discover on their own on purpose. I don't really mind if people think something should be left out, though. Especially with something like TotK, people aren't all going to have the same experience and, realistically, a AAA game like this ought to be able to stand on its own anyway.

The Oxygen not included page getting bloated is funny since, even though it's some of my stuff on there, since on some level a lot of it could be replaced with YES, THIS GAME WILL TAKE YOU 100 HRS TO BEAT ONCE, YES THERE WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL 20 HRS OF YOUTUBE TUTORIALS ON TOP OF THAT, PREPARE YOUR BUTTS. It's a very easy game to get into initially and fiddle with, but there are a lot of tricks and knowledge cliffs to climb over when it comes to surviving things like water supply and heat accumulation so it absolutely becomes an essay's worth of knowledge to beat it once and a lot of that knowledge isn't something easy to intuitively figure out without a ton of intentional experimentation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Unponderable posted:

I'm pretty sure the game tells you that specifically. It also doesn't need to be on the wiki for that reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm concerned that the wiki is probably not very useful for gamers who struggle with the reading level of a game designed for small children

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

yook posted:

To each their own, I guess. I wound up trying to explore it the same way as other areas of the game, but mostly found it wound up being a lot of time-consuming tedium watching link slowly climb walls only hit a dead end or not be able to scout out any new locations to check out once I got somewhere because it's all cave walls and blackness. There's not much in the way of systemically checking things out since there's no auto map either, so I mostly assumed I missed some entryway or had to keep following the wall, which can take a long time to do with how big the areas are. I didn't really figure it out organically so much as eventually gave up and have the game explicitly tell me during a quest chain, so it felt like I'd wasted a good chunk of time in an already long game.

I think your tip about the walls being floor to ceiling is fine (although the existence/scale of the depths was entirely a surprise to me). It's the detailed explanation of the map structure that isn't appropriate for a "before I play", IMO.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Is the wiki intended to be for general "game tips" ? My understanding is that it's goal is to help people (1) decide if they want to buy / demo the game; (2) provide some guidance to players early on in the game so they can determine what paths / gameplay options suit them best (3) highlight key QoL, missable paths, dead ends, etc. as a courtesy to people who don't have much playing time to beeline the parts they are most interested in.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shazback posted:

Is the wiki intended to be for general "game tips" ? My understanding is that it's goal is to help people (1) decide if they want to buy / demo the game; (2) provide some guidance to players early on in the game so they can determine what paths / gameplay options suit them best (3) highlight key QoL, missable paths, dead ends, etc. as a courtesy to people who don't have much playing time to beeline the parts they are most interested in.

At least back when I first found this thread it was pretty exclusively (3) here, specifically just pointing out missables/trap builds/gotchas that you'd never be able to guess at unless you'd played the game already. it's sort of organically expanded into (2) which I don't mind (there are definitely games I've enjoyed due to tips on the wiki that I probably would have dropped otherwise because of some obtuse mechanic or similar). I personally don't find pages with tons and tons of tips very useful and I don't find this thread or the wiki to be helpful for point (1) at all, in my experience there's a billion better places for that (game specific threads here, any number of reviews anywhere online).

I'm definitely of the opinion that the wiki pages are much more useful if they stick to the gotchas or things that will decidedly improve the early game experience, once the pages expand to include a ton of tips on builds or gameplay advice I feel like it's hard to guess at what is actually useful info vs. someone's opinion on how to play the game. That may not be the majority opinion on it anymore, I'm not sure honestly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shazback posted:

It's really for non-obvious things that can drastically change the game experience and enjoyment, not about advising gameplay styles.

TOTK for instance, after you complete 1 of the main quest locations, you then get the ability to access and upgrade 2 features that make exploration vastly more enjoyable, the traveler's medallion (set your own teleport point) and the sensor(locate specific objects/items/enemies/shrines etc) and the game thread was full of people constantly encouraging other posters to follow the main quest to the point before getting too deep into exploration.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm definitely of the opinion that the wiki pages are much more useful if they stick to the gotchas or things that will decidedly improve the early game experience, once the pages expand to include a ton of tips on builds or gameplay advice I feel like it's hard to guess at what is actually useful info vs. someone's opinion on how to play the game. That may not be the majority opinion on it anymore, I'm not sure honestly.
I have trimmed/organized many pages in my time as a wiki editor, and the vast majority of what I cut is specific build/gameplay advice. Partially because some people enjoy figuring that kind of thing out for themselves, and partially because 'information overload' is something people rarely remember to factor in when giving gameplay tips. Without context, there's no way for a new player to know which are Big Important Necessary Info they need to focus on remembering and which are just Helpful Loading Screen Tips that are basically white noise they'd have figured out on their own eventually, so I'm pretty ruthless about trimming or TL;DRing the latter.

Edit: As an example, compare the Persona 4 page now to what it looked like before I went at it with a hacksaw.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shazback posted:

I'd have to take some time to work out what exactly it is but for my money it's not either of these exactly, actually.

Mostly 3 I suppose but more "don't waste time doing/figuring out X" than "find the critical path ASAP".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Shazback posted:

YMMV but my personal stance has always been that it's not for subjective "should you buy this game" level stuff, there's a thousand better places if you're looking for takes on video game quality, and rather it's for when you've already acquired and are planning on playing the game. Other than that it really comes down to the individual game for me, there isn't really any single ruleset of "stuff that I would've liked to know before playing the game" that fits every video game out there. In my books it's basically a good tip if:

1. It's clear and bullet point level conscise
2. It improves the gameplay experience in some central and relevant way
3. It's something that can be considered unclear or laborous/time-consuming for the player to learn naturally during normal play (at least at the time it's relevant)

If it hits all three then it's probably something I'd include, but yeah, ultimately comes down to the game.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You know the Breaking Bad meme of Walt yelling at Hank from the car? That's the sort of thing I expect from a Before I Play.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I use the wiki and post tips for the wiki in the style of "Well god drat I wish I'd known THAT 30 hours ago!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Stuff like "save your gems, they are needed for a late game quest" or "you can trade HP into Stamina at a shrine in main hub town after the first temple" is good. Builds, boss strategy, etc is not.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I do appreciate stuff like "this build is objectively harder than the rest because of how game mechanic A works" but other than that yeah when it comes to general gameplay/build advice in the wiki, I usually either end up ignoring it, or sometimes it actually kind of negatively impacts my experience compared to if I went in blind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I do appreciate stuff like "this build is objectively harder than the rest because of how game mechanic A works" but other than that yeah when it comes to general gameplay/build advice in the wiki, I usually either end up ignoring it, or sometimes it actually kind of negatively impacts my experience compared to if I went in blind.

The exception is games like, if this is still correct, Wasteland, Atom RPG, Pathfinder etc, turbo grind 'number go up' games in general where there is an absolutely wrong way to play that will basically kill your game and you won't know until 10 hours into it.

There's a reason the article for Pathfinder is so long compared to most, even after it was edited down, because there's an insane number of ways to gently caress yourself over if you go in blind.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I generally try to avoid attempting to presume a certain kind of playstyle preference since there's no way to tell how a reader likes to play their games. At the very least I tend to prefer recommendations instead because a lot of it also comes down to tone and level of informativeness, like "Play the game on Easy, it's way more fun and chill that way" is a bad tip, but then "Playing on Easy removes the time limit on turns, so it can be a good choice if you want to take your time" can be a good one unless the same thing is clearly spelled out in-game anyway. "Murderswords are the best and easiest weapon type so you should pick it and ignore the rest" is a bad tip, but "If you don't end up enjoying the intricate weapons system, murderswords are always a safe pick since they remain simple and strong throughout the game" could be a good one.

Also if something like character creation tips start adding up then I tend to give them their own category as with most other things.

pentyne posted:

The exception is games like, if this is still correct, Wasteland, Atom RPG, Pathfinder etc, turbo grind 'number go up' games in general where there is an absolutely wrong way to play that will basically kill your game and you won't know until 10 hours into it.

There's a reason the article for Pathfinder is so long compared to most, even after it was edited down, because there's an insane number of ways to gently caress yourself over if you go in blind.

To my eyes the Pathfinder pages could honestly use a lot of cleaning still. There is also kind of a problem in how things are phrased between a person who's already a veteran of the game and someone who's a beginner or only about to play it throughout a lot of pages, and it's not always easy to solve. For instance tips like the second Pathfinder's "When Storyteller disappears in Act 3, he can be found by following the Dragon quest" means absolutely nothing to me as a person hypothetically looking to play it, though it might otherwise be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kruller posted:

I use the wiki and post tips for the wiki in the style of "Well god drat I wish I'd known THAT 30 hours ago!"
Yeah this is literally what I want to feel when reading tips here about a game I got frustrated with early on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw