Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah and despite all this you still see people talk about "man, they should bring back Castlevania" when Konami is brought up. tbh that's one of the examples I think of first

Exactly, Bloodstained is proof that the people making the game are more important than the IP in every possible way except brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yes. just like mighty no. 9.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Both Bloodstained and Mighty No 9 only had the producers on board though, to my knowledge no one else involved with the GBA/DS Castlevanias was on the Bloodstained team ao really I think they just independently made a decent Castlevania clone

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Wasn't IGA a lot more involved in the development of the Castlevania games than Inafune was with any of the Mega Mans? Like I thought Inafune was more story and character design stuff than gameplay design stuff, which was something IGA was involved in?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Maybe naive but: can one set up a company and make someone shareholder with them having no clue it's happening? Everything about the paperwork and financial dealings is a mess. It's bewildering.

Yes, this kind of thing can happen. There's basically no oversight on it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

John Charity Spring posted:

SAVOIR FAIRE [Godly: Success] - Finally, my time to shine!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Iga seems to have been somewhat involved in gameplay decisions and probably had some influence on the design of Bloodstained but it's still probably giving too much credit to a single author who only had a limited role in the original games imo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

panko posted:

yes. just like mighty no. 9.

I've never played a MegaMan game, so I don't have a dog in whatever the mighty no. 9 thing was.

No Dignity posted:

Iga seems to have been somewhat involved in gameplay decisions and probably had some influence on the design of Bloodstained but it's still probably giving too much credit to a single author who only had a limited role in the original games imo

Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't necessarily trying to give credit for all of Castlevania to one guy, just more saying people who make a good game can make another good game even if they can't use the name of the original good game. Conversely, just using the name of a good game doesn't mean the game will be good if you have bad designers working on it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EorayMel posted:

Imagine metal gear solid combined with disco elysium

Well, MGS3's radio calls are pretty much Para-Medic dealing with Naked Snake's Electrochemistry...

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've never played a MegaMan game, so I don't have a dog in whatever the mighty no. 9 thing was.

The tl;dr on Mighty No. 9 was that it was heavily promoted as "a spiritual successor to classic Mega Man from the same team", but the "same team" turned out to just be Keiji Inafune, who's not actually a good game designer

Additionally, there's this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Finishing up my Sacred and Terrible Air readthrough and finally, the pure, uncut Kurvitz finally shows his face. For a second there I thought I was reading a fanfic or something

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What too much theory does to a mf

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

John Charity Spring posted:

There was a recent case of some poor guy in Wales whose address was used to register over 10,000 phoney Chinese companies and he got almost literally buried under Revenue mail demanding that he pay their VAT duties.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My headcanon is that the kids in the tent are just listening to Scooter

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pattonesque posted:

the funny thing is that John Madden was heavily involved in the early versions of the Madden games. He wanted them to be super accurate and viewed them as an educational tool.

"So I'm thinking that the way you win the game is by scoring more points than the other team. Can we do that?"

Thanks John, we'll give that a try.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Can someone please break down the moralist, ultraliberal, fascist and communist responses to the long video

the fascist is going to complain it's too long, the moralist is going to complain it's too short

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Animal-Mother posted:

"So I'm thinking that the way you win the game is by scoring more points than the other team. Can we do that?"

Thanks John, we'll give that a try.

I think the first demo they showed him was 7 on 7 because they were struggling to render enough sprites and he flatly told them that he wouldn't put his name on it unless they made it 11 on 11.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Finishing up my Sacred and Terrible Air readthrough and finally, the pure, uncut Kurvitz finally shows his face. For a second there I thought I was reading a fanfic or something

Which translation did you go for?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Tequila Sunset one, the "professional translator and editor" one. It's Not Great and I'm pretty sure no actual editor has touched the book. I'm making my way through the Group Ibex one and it's much, much better even if it did start out as a machine translation

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

IMO the Tequila Sunset also suffers from the "professional" not understanding WTF they are reading for the most part. So they see nonsense - translate nonsense. Ibex people, on other hand are fans of the game and understand the world's various concepts and peculiarities.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't need or want a DE sequel but if Kurvitz and co were able to get the rights back all I'd want is a translation of the book that he either did himself or approved of

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Sekenr posted:

IMO the Tequila Sunset also suffers from the "professional" not understanding WTF they are reading for the most part. So they see nonsense - translate nonsense. Ibex people, on other hand are fans of the game and understand the world's various concepts and peculiarities.

Group Ibex also is in contact with Martin Luiga, who was the editor on the original novel but :ssh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished this game for the first time earlier today. It was my third attempt at playing it after getting overwhelmed by the sheer sprawl of it twice before (last time I made it halfway through the western area in day 3 and basically just had to stop lol, it was so much) but this time I zoomed through it all in four days.

What can I say? It’s as good as everyone has been telling me for years. Incredibly funny, smart, and moving, with a whole mess of incredible memorable characters and very layered writing/thematic work. I loved it.

I always knew I would end up playing this game multiple times so I went for the thinker archetype so I could get the most info possible on the world and case and then my eventual next playthrough will be where I go insane and do all the drugs and fully get into the supernatural poo poo (and if there’s ever a third I’ll go full fascist muscle corrupt rear end in a top hat).

Because I had so little authority and didn’t realise establishing it with Titus would be essential to the story I basically did everything from talking to Klaasje onwards with very few breaks for side stuff and it was a remarkable experience, the entire like, what is that, third act? second half? of the story is utterly incredible, just intense scene after intense scene, and the climax (which I am considering everything from getting to the island onwards) was just amazing. The conversation with not-Dolores broke my heart and I completely lost my poo poo when the loving phasmid showed up as I truly did not expect it to factor into the story. (and yes, I managed to talk to it - really beautiful stuff.) Plus the reveal of the killer and what incited it fit into the game’s core themes beautifully. I wish there had been a bit more on the Pale - I thought we were gonna end up going through some on the way to the island - but I guess Kurvitz thought he would get to it in a continuation. Is there any interaction with it in the book?

I also believe I succeeded with every side thing I came across? The church storyline and the communist side quest (oh yeah I went full communist) were both excellent and had some really touching endings. I have no idea how to pick favourite characters (other than Kim and Cuno, obviously), but I loved how Klaasje’s hair and Final Cut voice gave me big Laura Dern in Twin Peaks: The Return vibes.

The only real irritation I had was with the rolls. I definitely came into it with the knowledge that failure wasn’t an issue and went with it on many points. But for some reason, from the final conversation with Joyce onwards, the game decided I needed to fail almost every critically important story check, especially when my pass rate was 72% or above, and ESPECIALLY when the check was at the end of a long conversation. It was genuinely maddening and I had to save scum and redo so many sections because as I said I wanted to have this playthrough be the one where I learn everything and I was constantly failing checks I should have passed including at least four 90+% ones and two 97% ones. I failed at turning off Ruby’s machine, I failed at shooting the mercenary guy, I failed to alert Kim, I failed to see what was up with The Deserter, and touch the phasmid, and almost every other important one in between, so I had to do all these sections at least twice. I do believe it’s truly random, but the run of bad luck I was on left a really sour taste in my mouth. My experience of so much of the game was being more likely to pass a check if I had 42-58% than if I had 72 or above. What a pain!

Otherwise though, big masterpiece, I will definitely be playing again and going full unhinged. I learned looking things up afterwards that you get Cuno as a partner if Kim gets shot and while that’s not what I would have wanted this time around I cannot WAIT to do it as a drug-addled maniac. Gonna read the book very soon, too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sometimes you gotta just roll with the bad rolls. It's kinda like a murder mystery where the protagonist makes a fatal misjudgement and sometimes doesn't even realize it. It was definitely frustrating when I biffed a bunch of high rolls in a row - and immediately afterwards I aced all the checks on the pinball machine, somehow

Some more interaction with the pale would have been really interesting but it might lose its mystique. Half the reason why its so compelling is that you never see it but it affects everything in Revachol and drives some of its most important themes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 2, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sometimes you gotta just roll with the bad rolls. It's kinda like a murder mystery where the protagonist makes a fatal misjudgement and sometimes doesn't even realize it. It was definitely frustrating when I biffed a bunch of high rolls in a row - and immediately afterwards I aced all the checks on the pinball machine, somehow

Some more interaction with the pale would have been really interesting but it might lose its mystique. Half the reason why its so compelling is that you never see it but it affects everything in Revachol and drives some of its most important themes.
Sometimes you gotta roll with the bad rolls, but sometimes a bad roll just means you're missing out and that's not an interesting experience to roll with it.

My first playthrough ended when I couldn't get the freezer open to get the files that would help the lady in the church. It wasn't even a hard check, and you were given multiple shots at it. First it would be easier the next day when it thawed a bit. She'll also give you a tool to help you with it. I failed it anyway. I didn't think much of it. I figured the check would keep getting easier every day as the thing thawed. Nope. It was a physique check and I was playing a weak nerd, and I'd already maxed out the points I could put into physique. No way to retry it.

I discovered after multiple days I was just... not going to get to finish the church story. I decided to roll with it as best I could. I got all the way to the deserter's island, and it was pretty clearly the end game. But there was still no opportunity to figure out what was going on in the church.

So I stopped playing. It was years before I'd come back and actually start a new game that I would actually finish after the Final Cut came out.

My experience would have been infinitely improved if I had just rerolled that dumb failed check rather than trying to roll with the failure and having it ultimately ruin my experience.

You could say I should have just sailed off to the end game and finished the game without ever having seen what was up with the church quest. And now that I have done it all, I can say for sure that you would be wrong. That context added so much to my feelings when I did eventually reach the end. I can only look back and think I was right to have quit right before the end because I had missed out on all that.

Rolling with the punches is only good advice if there is some way for you to stumble on regardless. A failed check that just gives you less of a story just sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s exactly it. There’s plenty of failed checks I had or would have had no issue with, but this was like almost every single really story-important one all at once

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I failed the check to fully finish the church quest because I never got the crash course on the pale that joyce bestows and accordingly was under like a -10 modifier to conceptualize the tiny tear, and it inspired me to replay the game (and prioritize cosmological discussions with joyce) to see how that quest line ends. the dice are fickle on all sides; even the most certain result* has a 1/36 chance of going the other way. if you want to shape the narrative precisely to your tastes, savescumming is always an option

*some doors will remain forever closed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It is interesting that there is some checks you probably actually want to fail. Or when I was messing around, I think not throwing the ball in the water with the old men doesn't really get you much of interest, and/or actually causes you to miss out on something?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Oxyclean posted:

It is interesting that there is some checks you probably actually want to fail. Or when I was messing around, I think not throwing the ball in the water with the old men doesn't really get you much of interest, and/or actually causes you to miss out on something?

If you don't throw the ball in the water you can sell the replacement you find, I think its worth like $15.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish there had been a bit more on the Pale - I thought we were gonna end up going through some on the way to the island - but I guess Kurvitz thought he would get to it in a continuation. Is there any interaction with it in the book?

The book has a lot of stuff about the Pale- characters traveling through it like Joyce or the truck drivers, plus (vague spoilers) entire areas getting swallowed up by it, objects disappearing because of it, there's even a character who is somehow immune to it and explorers it in search of something. It's very much a major part of the novel.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The pale is so goddamn terrifying in the book. Especially with what happens to the girls' mother

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eiba posted:

Sometimes you gotta roll with the bad rolls, but sometimes a bad roll just means you're missing out and that's not an interesting experience to roll with it.

My first playthrough ended when I couldn't get the freezer open to get the files that would help the lady in the church. It wasn't even a hard check, and you were given multiple shots at it. First it would be easier the next day when it thawed a bit. She'll also give you a tool to help you with it. I failed it anyway. I didn't think much of it. I figured the check would keep getting easier every day as the thing thawed. Nope. It was a physique check and I was playing a weak nerd, and I'd already maxed out the points I could put into physique. No way to retry it.

I discovered after multiple days I was just... not going to get to finish the church story. I decided to roll with it as best I could. I got all the way to the deserter's island, and it was pretty clearly the end game. But there was still no opportunity to figure out what was going on in the church.

So I stopped playing. It was years before I'd come back and actually start a new game that I would actually finish after the Final Cut came out.

My experience would have been infinitely improved if I had just rerolled that dumb failed check rather than trying to roll with the failure and having it ultimately ruin my experience.

You could say I should have just sailed off to the end game and finished the game without ever having seen what was up with the church quest. And now that I have done it all, I can say for sure that you would be wrong. That context added so much to my feelings when I did eventually reach the end. I can only look back and think I was right to have quit right before the end because I had missed out on all that.

Rolling with the punches is only good advice if there is some way for you to stumble on regardless. A failed check that just gives you less of a story just sucks.

Well, I envy you. My first playthrough was with sensitive cop preset and when I later tried logical cop, it felt a bit bland and lacking in poetry (and drugs). 2 spoiler free hints: don't take off the tie and embrace the cop of the apocalypse ways.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Well, I envy you. My first playthrough was with sensitive cop preset and when I later tried logical cop, it felt a bit bland and lacking in poetry (and drugs). 2 spoiler free hints: don't take off the tie and embrace the cop of the apocalypse ways.
Oh, when I said weak nerd I just meant in physical terms. I pumped up both Psyche and Intellect, with a signature skill in Empathy. I put as much as I could (not much) in Motorics and just completely dumped Physique.

I found it grimly gratifying to remain as sober as possible.

Unfortunately I am not the kind of person who can play a story based game twice, even if there are different options each time, so after I finished (like three years ago now) I looked everything up. What I read about the tie plot actually did tempt me to play again because that sounds incredibly cool. In my sober playthrough I deeply mistrusted the tie and by extension Inland Empire, which resulted in an interesting story itself as I kept having these intrusive thoughts that weren't nearly as malign as I had assumed.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

didn’t you say you played through the game 1.9 times? did you make the same decisions/run the same build the almost second time around?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

panko posted:

didn’t you say you played through the game 1.9 times? did you make the same decisions/run the same build the almost second time around?
Made almost exactly the same decisions each time. The 2nd time was motivated purely by the fact that I hadn't finished it before but felt the game deserved to be finished (which turned out to be the right call). And I wanted to finish it with my values, not just picking new options for the sake of seeing more content. It was a very unusual situation for me, and if it had been anything less than Disco Elysium I just never would have revisited the game.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PC Gamer has a summary of the documentary, in case anyone else too wanted to skip a 2.5 hour YouTube video: https://www.pcgamer.com/after-watch...l-ever-be-made/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a very interesting and infuriating doc. It definitely seems like Kompus did some shady poo poo and basically stole the company. It also seems like Kurvitz loving sucked and was awful to work with. Unlike many, I don’t fault the video for showing both truths. For one, it’s literally about investigating all the claims made by both sides, so it has to talk about that stuff. I also believe that while Kompus obviously wants to try and use the allegations against Kurvitz as a smokescreen, people are generally able to hold two truths in their mind at once, and it’s clear that the knowledge of Kurvitz’s actions don’t take away from Kompus’ likely criminal activity.

I did find Kurvitz’s statement at the end to be hugely frustrating. It was the perfect opportunity to be like “yeah I hosed up in many ways BUT that doesn’t take away from” etc etc, but instead he just fully went on a tear and basically accused many of his old colleagues and friends of lying and making poo poo up for money. It was so disappointing. Same with Helen’s statement, where she dodged every question put to her and basically just sent a very generic “good vibes only” thing. It would have really helped their case if they hadn’t tried to deflect and obfuscate so much like Kompus did in his interview. As it stands, while I really feel for Kurvitz for having his creation stolen from him and believe the rights to at LEAST the universe in general should be returned to him, I feel even more for Argo and the other employees in the middle section.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ah, Kurvitz. Did he do what he should have done? No. Was he an rear end in a top hat? Sure. But it seems like most of those situations happened after he was already essentially being forced out of the company, right?

Dude is clearly not the most emotionally stable guy, but he seemed like he was doing well enough as a human being prior to having his life's work and purpose stolen out from under him, and it sounds like he's got some real (and honestly pretty justified) paranoia underlying a lot of his current emotional state. I definitely feel for some of the employees stuck in the middle... but not for others. The employee whose name I can't remember that kicked off a lot of this round of personal animosity with the entire creative team and Kurvitz in particular, and others have clearly bought 100% into the bullshit Kompus is shoveling.

Kurvitz being pissed and angry and feeling betrayed is, imo, very human considering the circumstances, even if its not ideal. Some portion of his old colleagues are lying and making poo poo up for money, after all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don’t think determining the degree of moral turpitude of Kurvitz is necessary or helpful. The point of the PMG piece is to determine what broke up Disco Elysium’s team. Whether Kurvitz deserves some degree of forgiveness is besides the point . His actions and how they may or may not have contributed are relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
As far as I can tell, though, Kurvitz's actions had no actual impact on the breakup of the team - that was 100% Kompus. Even if he been angelic in every one of his actions, the current situation would have been the same.