Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Phenotype posted:

Got through the Fire Temple last night. Really feel good about saving the Gorons from the crack epidemic and wish it were that easy in real life. Also not a big fan of my new Goron buddy. I'm pretty sure he's saying "I can do it!" but it really, really feels like he's yelling "why'd you do it??" very accusingly at me. (Actually, the Rito buddy kinda sucks too, made me feel like I'm guest-starring in an episode of DuckTales, but at least he's mostly shut up now that he's in ghost form.)

How do I go about getting the Master Sword? I haven't wanted to google it in case of spoilers, but I haven't even gotten a breadcrumb or anything yet, and I'm 2 temples in and explored quite a bit of the map now. I forget how it worked in BotW, but I thought I'd been pointed there by now but had been put off by the heart requirement.

e: gently caress I gotta go find the korok forest, don't i?

Follow the main quest with Impa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Did a side thing where I started shield surfing and it turned into a skydiving / snowboarding situation. Game whips rear end

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Phenotype posted:

How do I go about getting the Master Sword? I haven't wanted to google it in case of spoilers, but I haven't even gotten a breadcrumb or anything yet, and I'm 2 temples in and explored quite a bit of the map now. I forget how it worked in BotW, but I thought I'd been pointed there by now but had been put off by the heart requirement.

The easiest way is that, yeah. But people have gotten it without doing that.

It's in the head of the light dragon flying circles around Hyrule. There are a couple spots, I don't know where, that you can fly onto it. The master sword is stuck in the dragon's head, you'll need I believe 2 wheels of stamina to pull it out successfully.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blaziken386 posted:

don't answer this any more than yes or no: does the game ever explain why the depths exist? if it was just extensive caves thats one thing, but the fact that its an exact inverted copy of hyrule makes me question what caused it to exist.

Suuuuper old post but as far as I can tell, no and it chews me the gently caress up. What is going on.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

What does Lost Woods / Deku Tree sidequest do for the Master Sword in this game? I did it after getting the sword from the conclusion of the Geoglyphs plotline (which I did before anything else because I liked them).

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

mastajake posted:

What does Lost Woods / Deku Tree sidequest do for the Master Sword in this game? I did it after getting the sword from the conclusion of the Geoglyphs plotline (which I did before anything else because I liked them).

Doing that quest will Give you a marker of where the master sword/light dragon is at all times until you pull the master sword. That's about it.

Still, of course you need to do it to help the koroks and the deku tree. You can't just leave them corrupted like that

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arrrthritis posted:

Doing that quest will Give you a marker of where the master sword/light dragon is at all times until you pull the master sword. That's about it.

Still, of course you need to do it to help the koroks and the deku tree. You can't just leave them corrupted like that

You also need to do that quest in order to access three shrines that I think are unavailable otherwise.

I thought I only had 8 shrines left but the loading screen says I’m at 140 when I understand there are 152

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mastajake posted:

in addition to the quest marker, both the Deku Tree and Geoglyphs quests pull the light dragon down to a "saner" altitude as well-- it's technically accessible at any point, but it takes a hell of a lot more batteries to get to it when it's up at the default height

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

e: oh duh yeah infinitely farming them from a boss re-fight is probably The Way To Go, isn't it

Sadly, I just got there yesterday and there were no drops. Very disappointing, I was hoping for a quick supply replenish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://twitter.com/skewclip/status/1663800052245200896?s=20

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Did a side thing where I started shield surfing and it turned into a skydiving / snowboarding situation. Game whips rear end

I crawled into a random cave last night following my "it's late, so i will do just one more ______" lierule. Followed some minecart tracks that are a bit north of Yunobo Co to get there, climbed into what I thought was just a hole in the ground, ended up in Roasting Rails from Donkey Kong Country :hellyeah:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Got through the Fire Temple last night. Really feel good about saving the Gorons from the crack epidemic and wish it were that easy in real life. Also not a big fan of my new Goron buddy. I'm pretty sure he's saying "I can do it!" but it really, really feels like he's yelling "why'd you do it??" very accusingly at me. (Actually, the Rito buddy kinda sucks too, made me feel like I'm guest-starring in an episode of DuckTales, but at least he's mostly shut up now that he's in ghost form.)

I really enjoy how the different people's problems are climate disaster, climate disaster, pollution, and the CIA impersonating Zelda.

Also this may have been mentioned before but my biggest laugh in this game was revealing the heroic statue in the middle of the Zora city for the first time. Gee Sidon, you uh, sure you're marrying the right person there buddy?

Benagain fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 1, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Feel free to spoiler the answer if you need, but do you ever get the ability to magically summon your horse to your immediate surroundings in this game?

I know most people are going to be riding around in their own gundam monster trucks they built or whatever, but still.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

Feel free to spoiler the answer if you need, but do you ever get the ability to magically summon your horse to your immediate surroundings in this game?

I know most people are going to be riding around in their own gundam monster trucks they built or whatever, but still.

As far as I've found, no, and I've spent a lot of money sleeping in a lot of stables

I don't remember if someone's datamined it existing or we just have to hold out for more DLC again

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Holy poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Benagain posted:

I really enjoy how the different people's problems are climate disaster, climate disaster, pollution, and the CIA impersonating Zelda.

Also this may have been mentioned before but my biggest laugh in this game was revealing the heroic statue in the middle of the Zora city for the first time. Gee Sidon, you uh, sure you're marrying the right person there buddy?

Sidon marries Yona, but Link is still his side piece :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pollyanna posted:

i never thought someone with so wide of a head would be a beard

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

they might be married but I don't see her statue anywhere near his throne room :colbert:

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
👏 Let 👏 Link 👏 have 👏 a 👏 brother

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Plotac 75 posted:

👏 Let 👏 Link 👏 have 👏 a 👏 brother

Link and Twink

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Fought the depths King Gleeok last night and it was definitely the most challenging fight in the game I've come across so far - ended up reloading my save cause I blew so much food, fairies, and bows. Ended up finding a good rhythm in its last phase of sniping it before it could fully take off into the air, but good god is the storm part just insanely hectic. Kept trying to ride the icicles back up into the air but every time I did I would get hit by a lighting bolt which would practically one shot me.

Whatever I got that dumb hat that I probably won't ever wear at least!!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I feel like the physics glitch with throw weapons to get launched into the air is a scam. Every time I tried it I would get launched backwards or it would break in the ground.

Ended up getting to the big Island over Eventide via paraglider and stamina food. King Gleeok was a surprise, but it turns out Bomb arrows+Scimitar of the Seven clears it quickly. Not even a P3 :v:. Also Klinton gave me a diamon so I could sell 10 and still have enough to get Mipha's trident.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

As far as I've found, no, and I've spent a lot of money sleeping in a lot of stables

I don't remember if someone's datamined it existing or we just have to hold out for more DLC again

If that's true... jesus that's incredibly stupid. They may as well have just not created the mount system at all then. The entire point of a mount system is to get to places slightly faster that are just close enough that fast travel wouldn't help you.

To have to chase a horse all over creation entirely misses the point of a mount system at all, and only creates another liability for the player. Great system there.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Fought the depths King Gleeok last night and it was definitely the most challenging fight in the game I've come across so far - ended up reloading my save cause I blew so much food, fairies, and bows. Ended up finding a good rhythm in its last phase of sniping it before it could fully take off into the air, but good god is the storm part just insanely hectic. Kept trying to ride the icicles back up into the air but every time I did I would get hit by a lighting bolt which would practically one shot me.

Whatever I got that dumb hat that I probably won't ever wear at least!!

It irrationally pisses me off that the room for this fight just doesn't line up: it's got a statue of each of the four races to match the four sages puzzle directly above in Typhlo Ruins, and the statues don't match up the solutions of the puzzles above! :argh: I was hoping at least you would beat King Gleeok, get the hat, then have a neat additional puzzle to solve that requires all the sages, but they didn't even put the statues in the right corners, let alone add a bonus puzzle that I could find

GreatGreen posted:

If that's true... jesus that's incredibly stupid. They may as well have just not created the mount system at all then. The entire point of a mount system is to get to places slightly faster that are just close enough that fast travel wouldn't help you.

To have to chase a horse all over creation entirely misses the point of a mount system at all, and only creates another liability for the player. Great system there.

You can go to a stable, tell them to board your currently out-and-about horse, then hop on your horse, at least. It's not as good as just whistling to summon one, but you don't need to glide back to it to return it to a stable

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GreatGreen posted:

That's why we have cars and bikes and autobuild.

They're allowing you to use a horse if you want, but still going to incentivize the new thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Even whistling to call the horse when it's in your vicinity can be annoying. I did a sidequest where I had to bring a particular horse to someone high up on a hill. I ended up going the wrong direction, and decided just to climb up the hill and then call the horse from the top rather than spending a couple minutes riding back the other direction.

Of course, when I whistled for it? I just had to sit there for a couple minutes watching it slowly make its way back around the map to get to me anyway. Why can't it just teleport to me like a normal game? :negative:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Someone figured out what weapons spawn where in the Depths and more: https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/13uqo9h/everything_you_need_to_know_about_nondecayed/

GreatGreen posted:

It's a different design philosophy that's always going to be polarizining, like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After a point with batteries I've found horses to remind me of how cars quickly became in Saints Row 4. Something you could still use if you wanted but completely replaced by the new powers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Red Dead Redemption 2 horses do magically teleport and have unbreakable titanium necks though.

Earlier in this thread someone speculated that there is probably an imagined version of BOTW where movement was supposed to be much more "grounded" and deliberate, which is why there's so much effort put on roads and stables. But being a flying spider monkey is just too much fun.

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 1, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

bawk posted:

You can go to a stable, tell them to board your currently out-and-about horse, then hop on your horse, at least. It's not as good as just whistling to summon one, but you don't need to glide back to it to return it to a stable

Even having to go to a stable is ridiculous. That process still requires you to find a stable, walk to it, interact with it, and then ride back to where you came from before you can even start riding wherever it was you actually wanted to go. Seems like that time would just be better spent running straight to wherever wanted to go in the first place.

Supremezero posted:

That's why we have cars and bikes and autobuild.

They're allowing you to use a horse if you want, but still going to incentivize the new thing.

Eh, the same terrible horse mounting system was in the last game before we had the ability to build stuff so I don't think they get a pass on this. In other words they don't deserve any credit for playing 4D chess with the player's incentives by duct taping a better mobility system to the next game.

Credit where it's due of course, this game is the best physics simulator toybox since Garry's Mod, but that still doesn't make the horse system retroactively good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I pretty much never use horses in this game. There’s usually interesting stuff on the way anywhere and I’m usually not in a rush. Creating trucks to vroom around in the depths is a great investment though!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, the cart thing not having a brakes or a tongue makes the one interaction between the two systems only really usable in specific terrains.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Teleporting horses is really convenient in games but I hate that feeling of poo poo spawning right behind you out of camera view. My ideal ToTK horse system would replace the whistle with a wheel for sage powers + option to summon horse and the horse will go from where it was to where I am even if it means doing imossible routes for the horse and takes so long it doesn't show up till you're in the middle of combat or something else.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If there was a full cart with wheels for just 3 Zonaite you'd maybe see more builds using horsepower, but when you're at 5 parts and 15 Zonaite even before you can add the cannon and laser beam arrays and you can't just pull those parts out of your inventory it puts a damper on the project

Also I guess you can ride them. I used horses a fair amount before I had enough battery for my trike and later airbike, them automatically following roads is nice as is the dismount into bullet time and actually usefully vehicles (don't flip over constantly) are prohibitively expensive early on

If it's going to be a summon anywhere system, Elden Ring's is what I'd like to see. Spawns right under you at a gallop already, and also it can double jump. Oh that doesn't make sense, it's not realistic? Well guess what buddy it's MAGIC

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Pros about horses in BOTW/TOTK:
- the delightful piano music that kicks up after some galloping
- feeding them apples
- the cooing noise Link makes when you spam the Soothe button

Cons:
- the stablemaster talking your ear off every time I want to take out a horse
- they can die and then I have to see the scary horse god

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Holy cow.
I just beat the first Main Quest The Closed Door
If that was just the "tutorial," good god, this game is going to be rough :catstare:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There should have been a Sage Of Horse.

Also you should be able to directly pull from capsules for autobuild instead of pulling them out first.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Once you have gently caress around energy cells to play with, do more fans speed up a hoverbike or is fan-generated speed capped at whatever it takes to get something airborne?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh man, I just finished up the Yiga quests and the Earthquake Technique is pretty neat.
I assume no but are there any other hidden things like that?

I don't know how often I'll use it but it's a fun gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Lol I guess I got to do this… kilton now wants a picture of king gleeok for his stage but I have no idea where it is. I guess it’s time to go gleeok hunting now