Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
House knows that he cannot survive the extensive liver damage he has foisted upon himself and knows Watson cannot survive his cancer so they Thelma and Louise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
the first issue I had with house is his wrong-sided cane usage.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Grassy Knowles posted:

:eng101: Hugh Laurie switched which side his cane was on all the time since it became too tiring or painful to keep limping on the same leg.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It legit unnerves me how easy it is to turbofuck yourself with such a common med as tylenol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not a doctor, and I only ever saw one episode of House, but I wonder why he didn't go for amputation at some point. That seems better than destroying your entire body and life because there's something wrong with your thigh.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a cane user, as a person WHO LITERALLY OWNS A COPY HOUSE'S CANE? I do not believe that any actual cane users were involved in the making of House. They had medical staff on hand for medical questions which got varying levels of appropriate attention. I got my copy custom cut for my needs and gave it a better rubber foot. I use it on the appropriate side, or at least I would if it was not loving terrible.

My disorder (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) got a real hosed up treatment on House? Like bad enough that Bones did it better.

His Tourist style btw. I'm not digging into my closet to find it for a pic

https://fashionablecanes.com/products/dr-house-tourist-style-walnut-finish

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 18:41 on May 31, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

He did use some better canes over time but my god this one suuuucks if you even vaguely have hand issues.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a doctor, and I only ever saw one episode of House, but I wonder why he didn't go for amputation at some point. That seems better than destroying your entire body and life because there's something wrong with your thigh.

It's even worse lol. At some point he injects experimental drugs into his leg and then tries to do bathtub surgery to remove the tumors it causes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it called tourist-style because Hugh Laurie isn't actually disabled?

It wasn't until I got hurt bad enough to limp, that I realized a leg injury makes you linger on the uninjured leg.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's also known as Crook & Hook. Like a Shepard's Hook. Gimmie a Fritz or Offset handle anyday. The "Tourist" is the simplest cane for people who don't really use canes a lot? I think?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I haven’t watched house in years, but I believe it was vanity that made him insist he keeps his leg. He would literally rather be in constant pain and die early than lose the leg.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I know amputation isn't necessarily going to fix pain issues completely because of the possibility of phantom limb pain, and as far as I know it can be a pretty controversial treatment, but also people that do get it tend to be satisfied. IDK, I think there's a lot of issues with how society treats chronic pain and my friends that have chronic pain have said they like House's depiction despite him being an rear end in a top hat hypocrite caught in an active spiral of self-destruction.

Article I found on lower limb amputation as a treatment for chronic pain and functionality issues with the existing limb:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8638726/

Basically doctors tend to be pretty hesitant about cutting off a limb even if the limb is non-functional or poorly functional and causing constant pain and severe quality of life issues.

EDIT: Just realized this could come off as me trying to speak for people with chronic pain and naw, my friends that like House like that sort of inaccurate medical drama where everyone is a terrible person anyway.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 19:30 on May 31, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Amputation knowledge/tech has not come very far since the Civil War. Only now are they seeming to realize they can selectively cut and trim and leave behind more nerve endings or do better tendon/ligament management. For a long time it was just grab a saw and leave some skin to sew the stump closed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

To be fair learning to sterilize everything first was a pretty important advancement, because before then people just kinda thought amputations were almost definitely going to kill you, and maybe the doctor and a bystander, too, if you're really unlucky.

Figuring out how to manage nerves and tendons and ligaments better though sounds pretty important.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

PetraCore posted:

To be fair learning to sterilize everything first was a pretty important advancement, because before then people just kinda thought amputations were almost definitely going to kill you, and maybe the doctor and a bystander, too, if you're really unlucky.

Figuring out how to manage nerves and tendons and ligaments better though sounds pretty important.

If it's 100% die from https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/rich-republicans-party-car-dealers-2024-desantis.html/infection vs. maybe die from amputation and infection you take what you can get.

EDIT: I had to Google how to spell "Gangrene" and it didn't copy/paste right. Leaving my fuckup cause lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

If it's 100% die from https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/rich-republicans-party-car-dealers-2024-desantis.html/infection vs. maybe die from amputation and infection you take what you can get.

Got a bad case of Subaru, we gotta amputate.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Also you can't say that and not link this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Liston

Amputated the leg in under 21⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he fainted from fright (and was later discovered to have died from shock).[28]
— Richard Gordon[29]

This episode has since been dubbed as the only known surgery in history with a 300 percent mortality rate. The situation that Gordon labels "Liston's most famous case" has been described as apocryphal.[30] No primary sources confirm that this surgery ever took place.[31]

I want to believe.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is a good read if you want to learn about early surgery:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Mutters-Marvels-Intrigue-Innovation-ebook/dp/B00ISEOINK

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Desert Bus posted:

EDIT: I had to Google how to spell "Gangrene" and it didn't copy/paste right. Leaving my fuckup cause lol

I spent a bunch of time running through disease lists in my head that a DeSantis fundraiser was spreading to donors before getting to the edit.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Early surgery you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zPlk7drac

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Velocity Raptor posted:

:eng101: Hugh Laurie switched which side his cane was on all the time since it became too tiring or painful to keep limping on the same leg.

Marty Feldman did the same thing with his hump in Young Frankenstein.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Phanatic posted:

what hump?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This song is based on his experience filming that movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Desert Bus posted:

As a cane user, as a person WHO LITERALLY OWNS A COPY HOUSE'S CANE? I do not believe that any actual cane users were involved in the making of House.

I just use a drugstore adjustable offset for walking, intend on upgrading sometime but it works fine minus being noisy. I’m sure I don’t know what I’m missing, any feature/store/model suggestions beyond offset handle for when I do upgrade?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

I just use a drugstore adjustable offset for walking, intend on upgrading sometime but it works fine minus being noisy. I’m sure I don’t know what I’m missing, any feature/store/model suggestions beyond offset handle for when I do upgrade?

I like Hugo brand because the grip is comfy. They do start to degrade after a couple years though, I wish you could just buy new grips.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Stephen Nichols played Patch on Days of Our Lives, a character who lost an eye in a knife fight. After a few years, Johnson had to legit wear the patch on the other eye for a bit because he was messing up the uncovered eye through taping 200+ shows a year.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

teen witch posted:

Article on WaPo about former homeschoolers sending their kids to public school. I grew up adjacent to some of it via my cousins and my sister and I were the reckless liberal public school kids.

I don’t know if I’m crushed or livid or what, but I have friends who went through some of the programs and to read this? gently caress I’m so lucky to have had my mom.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/interactive/2023/christian-home-schoolers-revolt/

Quoting this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scary thing about medicine is that a lot of the stuff that works is almost as bad as the stuff that doesn't. Chemotherapy fucks your body up so hard because it's basically poisoning your body hoping the cancer dies before you do.
On the afternoon of 2 December 1943 an Allied commander in Bari, Italy announced that the Luftwaffe had completely lost the air war and was no longer a threat.

On the evening of 2 December 1943 the Luftwaffe bombed the poo poo out of Bari, Italy. They hit an American vessel which was carrying over 100,000 pounds of mustard gas. In public health this is known as an "oh gently caress" moment, especially because no one had been informed that the ship was carrying mustard gas (likely because it was, you know, a war crime) and so initially no one worried about, like, hosing off the gross oily stuff that rained down over the city.

Hundreds of people including civilians who hadn't been injured in the initial bombing got horribly sick and probably over 200 people died (there were 83 confirmed military fatalities and probably at least as many if not more civilian). Things were made worse because even still no one came forward to say "oh hey that was mustard gas that blew up".

When they autopsied some of the later casualties, people who'd died of illness after the bombing, doctors discovered that their bodies were real hosed up. They all had shockingly low white blood cell counts, among other oddities, and the doctors figured out that mustard gas kills off cells that divide quickly, like white blood cells, and maybe this could be used to treat lymphoma. Thus from a war crime we got mustine, the first real anti-cancer drug!

My understanding is the same basic principle (kill fast-dividing cells and hope you kill more cancerous cells than good ones) is still the basis of chemotherapy, but we generally don't just inject a straight-up nerve agent into people these days. Also, the US never apologized for what happened and I don't think they publicly acknowledged it until like 1970 or something.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Try out diff handles, trust your whoever medical person to tell you the right length obviously. The big thing is tips. There are like tri/quad prong ones that make it suuuper easy to use your foot to lever your cane back up with a foot if you drop it, there are similar ones that are kinda swivelly, you can get fuckin' tips with ice spikes or ones that glow in the dark. I know my length and have 3 canes: that terrible House one (my hands suck), an antique brass Fritz handle travel cane (unscrews in half to fit in your luggage!), and an offset handle cheapy from Walgreens.

I use the Walgreens one the most. It's comfy and I don't give two shits if I lose it. I'm a big fan of the classic standard round tip but whatever.

Try diff handles, try diff tips, and keep an eye out for a nice antique for special occasions. I used my antique cane for the funeral of the person who got it for me, for example. You can cut down and put modern tips on antique canes and no one will say poo poo about it. Go forth and thrift.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Jun 1, 2023

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I know this is super off topic by now but my fiance has started using a cane regularly, unfortunately he hasn't been able to get on Medicaid or anything yet so I don't know for sure if he has the right size or handle or whatever, we got one from Walgreens and then some sturdier ones online. Are there any resources I'm missing that you could point me to/is he gonna gently caress himself up more if it's not measured right?

For some amount of actual content, this has been going around some so you might already have seen it, but there was an eating disorder support line that fired its paid staff for unionizing and replaced them with a chatbot. Said chatbot, of course, turned out to encourage the development of eating disorders instead.

quote:

On Monday, activist Sharon Maxwell posted on Instagram that Tessa offered her “healthy eating tips” and advice on how to lose weight. The chatbot recommended a calorie deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories a day and weekly weighing and measuring to keep track of weight.

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008

uranium grass posted:

The remains of Maddy Scott have been found very close to the 12th anniversary of her disappearance. I hope her family can get some closure regarding her disappearance.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/madison-scott-found-vanderhoof-1.6858290

drat. I've always had this case in the back of my head because her disappearance was spooky. I'm glad her parents might finally get some answers, though, especially her mom. They fought really hard to keep her case relevant.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

woke kaczynski posted:

I know this is super off topic by now but my fiance has started using a cane regularly, unfortunately he hasn't been able to get on Medicaid or anything yet so I don't know for sure if he has the right size or handle or whatever, we got one from Walgreens and then some sturdier ones online. Are there any resources I'm missing that you could point me to/is he gonna gently caress himself up more if it's not measured right?

This has an easy sizing guide, it's surprisingly simple, and yes VERY important:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/canes/art-20548206

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Desert Bus posted:

This has an easy sizing guide, it's surprisingly simple, and yes VERY important:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/canes/art-20548206

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/walking-canes/1/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

How have I never seen this before hahahaha thank you

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Also if you carry a cane or walking stick you should be at least vaguely fluent in Canne de combat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canne_de_combat

These people are way better than I will ever be, but no matter how crippled you are having a big stick is a HUGE advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAqwBh2PK0

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Some Guy

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jun 1, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzJeUv-m6k

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TorpedoFish posted:

On the afternoon of 2 December 1943 an Allied commander in Bari, Italy announced that the Luftwaffe had completely lost the air war and was no longer a threat.

On the evening of 2 December 1943 the Luftwaffe bombed the poo poo out of Bari, Italy. They hit an American vessel which was carrying over 100,000 pounds of mustard gas. In public health this is known as an "oh gently caress" moment, especially because no one had been informed that the ship was carrying mustard gas (likely because it was, you know, a war crime) and so initially no one worried about, like, hosing off the gross oily stuff that rained down over the city.

Hundreds of people including civilians who hadn't been injured in the initial bombing got horribly sick and probably over 200 people died (there were 83 confirmed military fatalities and probably at least as many if not more civilian). Things were made worse because even still no one came forward to say "oh hey that was mustard gas that blew up".

When they autopsied some of the later casualties, people who'd died of illness after the bombing, doctors discovered that their bodies were real hosed up. They all had shockingly low white blood cell counts, among other oddities, and the doctors figured out that mustard gas kills off cells that divide quickly, like white blood cells, and maybe this could be used to treat lymphoma. Thus from a war crime we got mustine, the first real anti-cancer drug!

My understanding is the same basic principle (kill fast-dividing cells and hope you kill more cancerous cells than good ones) is still the basis of chemotherapy, but we generally don't just inject a straight-up nerve agent into people these days. Also, the US never apologized for what happened and I don't think they publicly acknowledged it until like 1970 or something.

You're framing that in an interesting way

It was immediately identified as mustard gas by allied doctors who sent for Stewart Francis Alexander, a US doctor trained specifically in treating chemical weapon casualties, and treated the wounded as being hurt by mustard gas. It was admitted by the US government in february 1944. The british government under Churchill decided to deny it.

Also it wasn't a sneaky plan to war crime with gas, unbeknownst to all

It was initially unknown because SS John Harvey, the ship in question, went down with everyone who knew about the classified cargo. Took doctors, again, to notice and go "yup it's the mustard gas"

Now why did it have mustard gas? Same reason the allies had been dealing in chemical weapons since 1939- because they had a policy of only using chemical warfare in retaliation to nazi use of such, and the nazis had recently threatened to use chemical weapons on allied troops in Italy. This threat to only use chemical weapons in retaliation only works if you can actually retaliate.

The US said sorry and declassified in 1959, the UK nope, under Winston Churchill's direct orders

1986 is when the UK admitted "woooooops, might have been chemical weapons there- not for sure tho"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Desert Bus posted:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Some Guy

Just not very quickly.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Just not very quickly.

My arms are terribly crippled but most cane users are just leg-weird and probably have a strong arm from adjusting to using the cane. Your legs don't need to move fast once you've pool-cued the pointy bit of a cane into someone's ribs or diaphragm or whatever. Variations of "big stick" are extremely popular re: being weapons across all? cultures for a long time. A sword is just a fancy big stick.

Concert venues check for weapons but 100% ignore canes. Hollow adjustable canes could hold a LOT of drugs. They see the cane and offer you good seating. The bathroom line? It disappears and you just walk right to the disabled stall.

As a pedestrian? No cane? Drivers suck. Cane in hand? Avoid you like you have the plague.

Now i'm not suggesting you pretend to be disabled, but there ain't nothing wrong with using a walking stick or somesuch and letting the rest of society decide how they're gonna treat you? If i was to suddenly not get disabled I'd still carry one?

I know it's been out of fashion for awhile but carrying a big stick feels about as wrong as not carrying a decent pocketknife to me these days. You can poke things from so far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Desert Bus posted:

Cane stuff

I love this post. I had to walk with a cane for almost three years. It became like another appendage.