Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2430400/Gunfire_Reborn__Artisan_and_Magician/

hell yeah, a new expansion for gunfire is about to release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

It's been amazing just watching this and Roboquest go side by side. Roboquest is almost inarguably the better FPS shell when it comes to gamefeel and I can't wait to see what the 1.2 version of the game looks like in two years, but it's astounding how much putting actual substantial updates for your game and itinerating on ideas in a reasonable timeframe has done to turn Gunfire Reborn from this fun, scrappy, but rough and somewhat mean-spirited Roguelike FPS to one of the most fun and replayable experiences in the entire Roguelike field.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

It's been amazing just watching this and Roboquest go side by side. Roboquest is almost inarguably the better FPS shell when it comes to gamefeel and I can't wait to see what the 1.2 version of the game looks like in two years, but it's astounding how much putting actual substantial updates for your game and itinerating on ideas in a reasonable timeframe has done to turn Gunfire Reborn from this fun, scrappy, but rough and somewhat mean-spirited Roguelike FPS to one of the most fun and replayable experiences in the entire Roguelike field.

very much my opinion and Gunfire drives me a little crazy with its lack of alternate biomes and incredibly boring first area

but it actually accomplishes the broken build simulator in a good feeling fps

while robo feels better to me at base but the dev is just incredibly scattershot

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RIP #5 the rangermans, made it to XL13 and then decided to try an Adventurous tower and got two-shotted by some kind of weird demon rear end in a top hat.

On the plus side, I maxed out the alchemy lab and library, stored a papal lizard-signet for the next character, and accumulated 93 Proofs, so, progress! #6 is going to be a Psychomans, I think.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

RIP #5 the rangermans, made it to XL13 and then decided to try an Adventurous tower and got two-shotted by some kind of weird demon rear end in a top hat.

On the plus side, I maxed out the alchemy lab and library, stored a papal lizard-signet for the next character, and accumulated 93 Proofs, so, progress! #6 is going to be a Psychomans, I think.

roguelikes are the best genre because they produce posts like this

(also anything qud related really)

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

i'm feeling the roguelike blues again... :negative:

infra arcana, the ground gives way and brogue (all suggestions i got from y'all!) are all so close to what i want but i have issues with each of them, biggest of which is that when i'm in the mood to play a quick round or two of a coffee break roguelike i also don't want to sit in front of my computer but instead flop into bed :(

also disappointed that the ground gives way is closed source because i'd love to poke around with it. it'd work so well with a controller but of course it's a windows console application so i'd be interested in just straight up trying to port it to something more... portable.

I think this is how people become roguelike developers. But in the short term, have you seen Golden Krone Hotel? Believe it has controller support.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

victrix posted:

very much my opinion and Gunfire drives me a little crazy with its lack of alternate biomes and incredibly boring first area

but it actually accomplishes the broken build simulator in a good feeling fps

while robo feels better to me at base but the dev is just incredibly scattershot

Does Gunfire really do "broken build"? Every time I've tried it I felt incredibly constrained by my options and like the game was carefully regulating my power level. I put 30 hours into it so it wasn't like I bounced off it quickly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does Gunfire really do "broken build"? Every time I've tried it I felt incredibly constrained by my options and like the game was carefully regulating my power level. I put 30 hours into it so it wasn't like I bounced off it quickly.

really? it feels like not-quite-ror2 to me, it's harder to break wide open, but you can consistently get a good level of power, and occasionally you get some wildly busted bullshit

speaking of ror2, there's a crab based ror2 in EA

but I refuse to acknowledge its existence so its not real and can't hurt me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glimpse posted:

I think this is how people become roguelike developers. But in the short term, have you seen Golden Krone Hotel? Believe it has controller support.

so funny story this is exactly how i got into roguelike development and now i'm picking it up again :v:

and yeah i actually have golden krone hotel i just haven't played it that much because for whatever reason it hasn't grabbed me like some other games (cough infra arcana cough). it's a good suggestion tho, it does have controller support!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Gunfire can do incredibly broken but you can't ever really 'count' on getting there- you generally need to play as the winds blow in Gunfire, especially before Resurrection difficulty where you can spend your metacurrency for extra effects. You're not gonna get fed the tools for THE BUILD or even A Build every time and might have to rely on a good gun to go ham while the rest of your kit mostly dictates your approach to problems, but if you take utility abilities highly you're rarely feel like you got left out to dry either since Guns Are Good and a good gun drop can absolutely carry a run, especially if you lean into what Occult Scrolls and Ascensions you DID get.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

High skill play in Gunfire isn't about never getting hit, it's building the knowledge you need to recognize what you need to make a broken build as well as how to squeeze every bit out of the game. Not that you can still make broken builds every run, but making a very strong build consistently is a solid sign of a great player. Sometimes you just get RNG hosed or you die to your own hubris even with an insanely strong build, like any roguelite/lite in existence!

In that respect it shares a lot of similarities with Binding of Isaac, though you go to less absurd lengths in GR than BoI to break poo poo or squeeze out every last bit of value.

GR also gets hella bonus points for being a great co-op game too.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Your Computer posted:

i did some calculations and it looks like a steam deck will be more than just "expensive". looking at somewhere between $7-800 for the cheapest model with shipping and taxes included :negative:

why is my country like this

oh hey i had completely forgotten about this. this might be good for poking around in too, thanks :sax:

this also gives me a golden opportunity to bitch about something more roguelike related - developers completely forgetting about non-US keyboard layouts

i got to the stairs in Forays and couldn't actually proceed because it would not accept the > input on my keyboard. after some googling and trial and error i did find out i could use shift-comma to get it but uh, yeah

e: another fun one was in DCSS, where you couldn't wait a turn because wait is tied to . on the numpad. Our numpads have , because that's the denominator we use instead of a '.'. this looks to be fixed in the latest release however!

As a suggestion both for playing inconsiderate roguelikes and any coding you might do, set up multiple keyboard languages with hotkey switching (in Windows it's shift+alt). I have my keyboard set to US layout for everything but typing in Swedish and it's much better for this stuff. Takes a bit to get used to, but it was quicker than I'd expected.

More on the general topic of the thread: are there any good roguelike turn-based tactics games? I'm thinking in the vein of X-Com and such - I know Cogmind was a more feasible project, but drat if I don't wish Kyzrati had continued work on X@COM.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Woebin posted:

More on the general topic of the thread: are there any good roguelike turn-based tactics games? I'm thinking in the vein of X-Com and such - I know Cogmind was a more feasible project, but drat if I don't wish Kyzrati had continued work on X@COM.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1682060/Warriors_of_the_Nile_2/

edit: shame on me https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668690/Alina_of_the_Arena/

victrix fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 1, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Warriors of Nile 2 is GOAT'd with the sauce.

The more time I put into Shiren 5 the more I get the inkling this is just one of the best games ever made of all time?!?!?! Its good.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Warriors of Nile 2 is GOAT'd with the sauce.

The more time I put into Shiren 5 the more I get the inkling this is just one of the best games ever made of all time?!?!?! Its good.

My only beef with Shiren is having to keep the drat kid alive in the story dungeons ; had a lot of good runs end because I just didn't have the herbs handy to go on.

I've been alternating between that and Ring of Pain for my couch roguelike sessions; feels like it's starting to click what I need to look for and how to build my character but goddamn that game is a razor's edge between 'this run is going really well' and 'oh whoops you had four oozes in a row and no healing, get hosed!'

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I wanted to like Tainted Grail but the balance seems pretty awful. The archer can spam enough barrier per round with starter cards that after the first few fights I didn't take a single point of damage for the rest of the game. Plus every run is very samey and the overall progression seems to be endless grinding. Shame as it had some neat stuff.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Quasimorph's Prologue'ish Thing has arrived:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2347110/Quasimorph_End_of_Dream/

No sum of changes, but vague recollections of their drip feed of info should put it a fair bit beyond/distinct vs the prior incarnation.

This game owns and I'm always surprised nobody really talks about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrJrED2m7A

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
alina of the arena status: pretty fun yeah

wish more cards let me move around like zoop zoop those feel like the best cards

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, pretty much!

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Woebin posted:

Both games mentioned here so far are great. Othercide has some polarizing mechanics (the only way to heal your characters is to cannibalize other characters of equal level), but is pretty great and a bit closer to XCOM. I'll also mention Horizons Gate because I love it, even though it really isn't a rogue.

I do really wish someone would make a modern rogue like with old XCOM's clown car of hapless doomed expendable idiots vibe.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Woebin posted:

Have you tried Into the Breach? Other than Warriors of the Nile 2 it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

OtspIII posted:

Both games mentioned here so far are great. Othercide has some polarizing mechanics (the only way to heal your characters is to cannibalize other characters of equal level), but is pretty great and a bit closer to XCOM. I'll also mention Horizons Gate because I love it, even though it really isn't a rogue.

I do really wish someone would make a modern rogue like with old XCOM's clown car of hapless doomed expendable idiots vibe.

Othercide has a lot of really cool stuff going on but it goes beyond polarizing mechanics into mechanics that actively fight with each other. It kind of wants to have an xcom-style campaign feel but the optimal way to play is to kill a run after (almost) every boss to collect your metaprogression "start the campaign from here but also everyone you recruit starts at the level your best squad currently is" bonus.

Also the final boss will waste like five hours of your time taking infinite turns while dishing out chip damage if you walk in without foreknowledge of how to build for him, which is kind of funny but also very obnoxious.

Still worth playing, but it's also literally the only game I've played where I 100% endorse spoiling yourself on all the boss mechanics in advance because the alternative is just wasting your time.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Into the Breach rules. Bought it on switch because it's a great couch game.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Othercide has a lot of really cool stuff going on but it goes beyond polarizing mechanics into mechanics that actively fight with each other. It kind of wants to have an xcom-style campaign feel but the optimal way to play is to kill a run after (almost) every boss to collect your metaprogression "start the campaign from here but also everyone you recruit starts at the level your best squad currently is" bonus.

Oh so that was the gimmick I missed. I refunded Othercide after being really hopeful. It looks beautiful, but between abilities consuming health and no healing plus metaprogression that was the most milk toast "characters deal x% more damage" with nothing else to it. Also there were only four character classes, would have liked a wider roster.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Harminoff posted:

This game owns and I'm always surprised nobody really talks about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrJrED2m7A

It's good, I've been waiting for a demo for months. Got some of that DoomRL DNA

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

It's good, I've been waiting for a demo for months. Got some of that DoomRL DNA

I thought Quasimorph Exordium was the demo?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
That was like an alpha. This demo is wayyy further along than that was.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's also semi-now like....2-3 (+?)Into The Breach'ish projects at varying stages of doneness that try to inject more RPG sensibilities but usually stumbling hard out of the gate on the puzzle sensibilities---though none have yet to truly break out and somehow the names of all but one are escaping me at the moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1520760/Tyrants_Blessing/

In other news, there's finally an incoming third project trying to Loop(& Deckbuild) after Loop Hero after some years now: Demon Loop

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2439830/Demon_Loop/

quote:

FEATURE LIST
Build and Grow: Improve and personalise your Loop by building and repairing structures like taverns, barracks and mines. Hire villagers to fight by your side, some might be inspired to join you permanently!

Master your Deck: Every location has its own unique starting deck of cards. Choose Wisely which cards to add from your own personal collection, and what ones to buy along the way.

Unravel a Mystery: Move through a vast fantasy world and discover new, mysterious locations. Speak to villagers and unravel the mystery behind the Demon Loop.

Improve your Skills: Strike down demons and beat the Loop to recover loot and earn crystals to improve your talents. Take part in weekly and monthly challenges and make it to the high score list!
ABOUT THIS GAME
Demon Loop is a unique blend of board and video game from the pen of internationally renowned board game author Alexander Pfister, known for Great Western Trail, Maracaibo, Isle of Skye, Port Royal and more! Wield an increasing deck of cards to master strategy across each unique loop. Build and repair structures, rally villagers to your side and improve your own skills to overcome the demons running wild across the land. Unlock new items, skills and cards on your quest to beat the loop!

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

ExiledTinkerer posted:

In other news, there's finally an incoming third project trying to Loop(& Deckbuild) after Loop Hero after some years now: Demon Loop

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2439830/Demon_Loop/

Alexander Pfister plus boardgamey roguelite, I'm intrigued.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Has anyone picked up Peglin? Not sure if I want to get it on pc or phone

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DACK FAYDEN posted:

alina of the arena status: pretty fun yeah

wish more cards let me move around like zoop zoop those feel like the best cards

It's basically a solvable game but it's loads of fun till you solve it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It's basically a solvable game but it's loads of fun till you solve it.
Yeah. Small decks are too good the game gives you too many removals (and removal is so much better than the other meditation options). More early damage checks and fewer removals (and a gutting of ground slam) could really change the game but I guess it's super fun just shorter as is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Has anyone picked up Peglin? Not sure if I want to get it on pc or phone

I've logged 32 hours in it. It's quite good, though when I last played it they hadn't added the new characters, so there's presumably been some rebalancing. My experience was that the game was fun, but sometimes frustrating, especially as you push towards higher Cruciball (=ascension) levels. Sometimes you end up with the board refresh peg getting buried in an extremely inaccessible location, for example, and have to waste multiple shots on trying to hit it. Consequently, relics that mitigate that kind of issue are high-priority grabs just to make the gameplay more consistent.

However, when the game's working at a reasonable difficulty level, it's a ton of fun. And it's hard to get too mad at being RNG screwed by a pachinko game :v:

I played it on PC. I can imagine it working pretty well on phone, though it's really going to depend on how well you can fine-tune your shot angles. A swipe-based shot system would be terrible, for example; way too imprecise.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Locke posted:

It's been amazing just watching this and Roboquest go side by side. Roboquest is almost inarguably the better FPS shell when it comes to gamefeel

I don't much see the point in actually arguing about it, but I strongly dislike Roboquest movement, gunplay and enemy and environment design compared to gunfire every time I try it to see if things got better. And the two-player limit just kills it for my coop group.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's a few others in the works to flesh out the coming gen where Roboquest and GunFire more or less reign supreme as the prevailing pathfinders, but Battle Shapers seems to have a high chance at this point of garnering the most (single player) spotlight as it starts to get out there in the near'ish future:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421290/Battle_Shapers/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There's a few others in the works to flesh out the coming gen where Roboquest and GunFire more or less reign supreme as the prevailing pathfinders, but Battle Shapers seems to have a high chance at this point of garnering the most (single player) spotlight as it starts to get out there in the near'ish future:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421290/Battle_Shapers/

Single player only?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Osmosisch posted:

I don't much see the point in actually arguing about it, but I strongly dislike Roboquest movement, gunplay and enemy and environment design compared to gunfire every time I try it to see if things got better. And the two-player limit just kills it for my coop group.
I feel like we've talked about this ages ago but I don't really see what could be considered bad about the movement in roboquest

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

What I dislike of Roboquest is the 'all enemies are boring robots' trope. Killing living things is more fun...

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

I feel like we've talked about this ages ago but I don't really see what could be considered bad about the movement in roboquest

It's a (to me) really weird combination of stompy and floaty that means the inertia feels inconsistent somehow. It's hard to express in words, just like the people who like the game have trouble saying why beyond "feels good".

That coupled with the mostly pointless rails that get me killed when trying to use them and the invitation to goomba stomp enemies which, again, doesn't ever work better than shooting them, makes things feel unfocused and busy. It's as though they tried to get to Titanfall levels but got stuck in an awkward spot.

It might just come down to my much greater dislike of bullet hell and platforming than what seems to be the thread average.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Chrono Ark is very anime and I'm not sure how engaging multiple runs are, but it's pretty fun. Definitely the highlight of the bundle so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Razakai posted:

Chrono Ark is very anime and I'm not sure how engaging multiple runs are, but it's pretty fun. Definitely the highlight of the bundle so far.

I really like Chrono Ark and it has a ton of content but at the same time they keep promising more content and I really really like what they have so I keep waiting to really dig into it to make sure I get the full experience. Anyone who doesn't have the neurosis should try it out.

(as an aside there is only one game in said bundle I don't already own, so that is my particular flavor of crazy, extrapolate from there to your crazy)