Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It seems like South Carolina would be the hardest of no's for the reasons discussed, but they seem to be in the "whatever, just give us the pay raise" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

By 2040, you'll play ten conference games and four against a team from each division in the opposing conference.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I don't know that anyone associated with us (be it Beamer, our AD, or whoever) has put forth something resembling an official position, but yeah, I assume we'd be opposed. I think we would've voted against that even before Clemson became a playoff-caliber team, but obviously that development just helps entrench that position.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I can’t imagine a scenario that Tennessee Bama is broken up, nor would I want it to. For me that’s the most important game to keep.

I’d prefer to keep the Florida matchup but I can see them doing Kentucky and/or Vandy because of the history, though it wouldn’t bother me to sacrifice either of them to keep Bama and Florida.

Of the rest of them I guess I’d miss a yearly UGA game but I don’t care about SCAR or Mizzou

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

General Dog posted:

??
Georgia (how much do they care about the Auburn game?)

umm...... a lot, I think?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The simple fact of the matter that I am hoping wins out is that if you have Texas and Texas A&M in the same conference and they don't play every year you have objectively hosed up

I do not see why 8 games with 2 permafoes is somehow unworkable to be honest but whatever we seem to have these two and only these two options

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I bet they decide on an 8-game schedule for 2024 and declare their intent to go to 9 games after that; giving them another year to haggle with ESPN over how much more money they get and to argue among themselves about the actual matchups.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

General Dog posted:

I bet they decide on an 8-game schedule for 2024 and declare their intent to go to 9 games after that; giving them another year to haggle with ESPN over how much more money they get and to argue among themselves about the actual matchups.

This seems like the most likely scenario, yeah. Honestly, I can come around to it just fine, as long as we aren't forced into yet another dumb "rivalry" that doesn't actually exist/no one cares about in service of the Alabama teams keeping all the matchups they prefer. (Arkansas at least made some sense, seeing as we joined at the same time, but gently caress outta here with A&M as a permanent opponent.)

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

My hot take is that the teams who favor the 8 game schedule are just cowards. You can still schedule the ooc rival by just dropping the week 11 fcs tuneup game. Hell, no one would even complain if the other 2 ooc games ended up being a joke with a 9 game conference slate and an ooc p5 rival each year. At least with being an OU fan it doesn't matter too much with which route they choose. I'd still rather play a Mississippi school or kentucky over Tulsa though.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think there needs to be greater standardization in scheduling for the playoffs to be a relatively even playing ground. The Big Ten already has a 9 game schedule and has effectively banned garbage FCS November bye weeks, which puts the conference at a disadvantage compared to the SEC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Komet posted:

I think there needs to be greater standardization in scheduling for the playoffs to be a relatively even playing ground. The Big Ten already has a 9 game schedule and has effectively banned garbage FCS November bye weeks, which puts the conference at a disadvantage compared to the SEC.

Lol, they just got two teams in the playoff.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

My hot take is that the teams who favor the 8 game schedule are just cowards.

Agreed. 100%. Shameful behavior.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm gonna parrot Andy Staples and say a conference that has both Texas and Aggie where they don't play every year is dumb as poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

My hot take is that the teams who favor the 8 game schedule are just cowards. You can still schedule the ooc rival by just dropping the week 11 fcs tuneup game. Hell, no one would even complain if the other 2 ooc games ended up being a joke with a 9 game conference slate and an ooc p5 rival each year. At least with being an OU fan it doesn't matter too much with which route they choose. I'd still rather play a Mississippi school or kentucky over Tulsa though.

Sec was never much better than the other conferences they just had a free extra win for every team.

Now that they have Texas they are the best conference for all time, but not a second before that.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm gonna parrot Andy Staples and say a conference that has both Texas and Aggie where they don't play every year is dumb as poo poo

It would be incredibly funny if a&m managed to dodge Texas for another 10 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Now that they have Texas they are the best conference for all time, but not a second before that.

Texas was just being held down by the Big 12, now that they're in a real conference they're already all the way back baby.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

Lol. No they don't. Nobody forced the B10 to go to 9 games or strongly discourage playing FCS teams and being all high and mighty about it. They did that to themselves, so they can deal with it. I favor a 9 game conf schedule, but this argument is pretty weak sauce.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I've never understood why non-SEC fans get so mad about the November cupcake. SEC teams usually play the same amount of cupcakes as everyone else; we just tend to have either a marquee OOC matchup and/or conference matchup within the first few weeks of the season, while everyone else is busy blowing out Directional State. Then fans of those teams get mad that we deferred one of our Directional State games until November, because...? It's the same amount of cupcake feasting, just portioned out differently. If anything, I think it's more advantageous to have a few "scrimmage" weeks to tune up for the meat of the season. Opening the year with an evenly-matched (or even superior) Power 5 opponent, or playing a conference heavyweight in Week 2, can suck. (Ask me how I know! South Carolina has done either or both multiple times, and will be doing both in 2023.)

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 1, 2023

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

I've never understood why non-SEC fans get so mad about the November cupcake.

I think SEC = Actually Bad takes are largely kayfabe at this point

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RumbleFish posted:

I've never understood why non-SEC fans get so mad about the November cupcake. SEC teams usually play the same amount of cupcakes as everyone else; we just tend to have either a marquee OOC matchup and/or conference matchup within the first few weeks of the season, while everyone else is busy blowing out Directional State. Then fans of those teams get mad that we deferred one of our Directional State games until November, because...? It's the same amount of cupcake feasting, just portioned out differently. If anything, I think it's more advantageous to have a few "scrimmage" weeks to tune up for the meat of the season. Opening the year with an evenly-matched (or even superior) Power 5 opponent, or playing a conference heavyweight in Week 2, can suck. (Ask me how I know! South Carolina has done either or both multiple times, and will be doing both in 2023.)

The flip side is it's an "off" week for SEC teams when everyone else is deep in the weeds of conference schedules. And by having that SEC conference game in September before other P5 times have gotten into conference schedules, any losses are somewhat mitigated by the recency bias inherent in the polling and committee systems--everyone knows losses later in the year matter more than losses earlier, even if it shouldn't necessarily be that way.

For the record I do think having the patsies so late is lame but it's not something to be particularly worked up over.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

The flip side is it's an "off" week for SEC teams when everyone else is deep in the weeds of conference schedules. And by having that SEC conference game in September before other P5 times have gotten into conference schedules, any losses are somewhat mitigated by the recency bias inherent in the polling and committee systems--everyone knows losses later in the year matter more than losses earlier, even if it shouldn't necessarily be that way.

For the record I do think having the patsies so late is lame but it's not something to be particularly worked up over.

I understand the recency bias angle and don't totally disagree, but the other other side of this is that if you're trying to be a conference/playoff contender, playing a Power 5 game so early can effectively end your season right when it starts. That's not always the case, of course -- depending on how the rest of the year shakes out, that loss may not matter -- but it has definitely taken the wind out of the sails of plenty of preseason contenders while others were artificially propped up by their cupcake-filled Septembers. It tends to all come out in the wash anyway, but that's my point: These scenarios largely provide the same results, just on different timelines. Tomato can opponents are tomato can opponents, regardless of when they're scheduled.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ok fine put Texas and Aggie and hell, OU in the same pod.

And then put that pod back in the Big 12.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

RumbleFish posted:

Tomato can opponents are tomato can opponents, regardless of when they're scheduled.

Eh, you're getting a shot to give your starters a light week late in the season when the rest of us are knee deep in the meaty part of the schedule.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

D.N. Nation posted:

I think SEC = Actually Bad takes are largely kayfabe at this point

The SEC is bad and will be until the second OU is officially a part of it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RumbleFish posted:

I understand the recency bias angle and don't totally disagree, but the other other side of this is that if you're trying to be a conference/playoff contender, playing a Power 5 game so early can effectively end your season right when it starts. That's not always the case, of course -- depending on how the rest of the year shakes out, that loss may not matter -- but it has definitely taken the wind out of the sails of plenty of preseason contenders while others were artificially propped up by their cupcake-filled Septembers. It tends to all come out in the wash anyway, but that's my point: These scenarios largely provide the same results, just on different timelines. Tomato can opponents are tomato can opponents, regardless of when they're scheduled.

When the SEC schedules early season P5 opponents, those opponents who have a 9 game conference schedule don’t get a November cupcake game. I think that’s part of the objection.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When the SEC schedules early season P5 opponents, those opponents who have a 9 game conference schedule don’t get a November cupcake game. I think that’s part of the objection.

Sure, but we're also losing an early, risk-free tune-up game and playing a challenging opponent who could derail our season immediately. Whether you're playing your cupcakes early or late, they still provide the same opportunity to rest starters, get young backups experience, tinker with the playbook, etc. Ultimately, though, I agree with the sentiment that no one forced those conferences to go to a nine-game schedule, so it's a self-inflicted martyr complex that gets old listening to people whine about.

e: Also, the ACC still has eight conference games, often with a late-season cupcake, and no one seems to care about that for some reason, so it's not even an SEC-specific issue either.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 1, 2023

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RumbleFish posted:

Sure, but we're also losing an early, risk-free tune-up game and playing a challenging opponent who could derail our season immediately. Ultimately, I agree with the sentiment that no one forced those conferences to go to a nine-game schedule, so it's a self-inflicted martyr complex that gets old listening to people whine about.

9 game conference schedule became a thing when there were 10 team conferences. It was also really good for the 12 team conferences where you play everyone from the other division over 4 years.

It makes a whole lot less sense for 14 team or larger conferences because what's the point? You're never going to play everyone on a regular cadence in a 14 team conference anyway.

I still think that these days having pods, divisions, or a fixed number of rivals is dumb and bad in college football. Play your true rivals yearly and then let the rest of the conference schedule be randomized. Weighting it to play teams you haven't played recently would be even better. No one should have to have exactly 3 rivals, and rivalries should not be forced.

SEC is a perfect use case for this, having a mess of regional rivalries but also a mess that their scheduling has tried to force. But the new Big XII could also use this since most of the newer members don't really have natural rivals in place. BYU/Baylor, Houston/Former SWC, and that's about it. Even includes WVU to a point. WVU/TTU is the only natural rivalry that exists for them, and that's wholly because both schools claim John Denver as their own. OTOH, TTU has bad blood with TCU, Baylor, UH, OSU, and a bit of WVU.

Haven't been able to get this in front of the actual decision makers because those folks are eating their gold leaf burgers in their glass mansions on the hill over the lake and don't want to talk to lowly fans such as myself.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Arizona State, Notre Dame, Miami, and South Florida all made the AAU.

USF to the Big Ten jokes aside, I guess we can't make fun of Arizona State being a dummy school anymore.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

RumbleFish posted:

e: Also, the ACC still has eight conference games, often with a late-season cupcake, and no one seems to care about that for some reason, so it's not even an SEC-specific issue either.

That's because no one cares about the ACC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RumbleFish posted:

Sure, but we're also losing an early, risk-free tune-up game and playing a challenging opponent who could derail our season immediately. Whether you're playing your cupcakes early or late, they still provide the same opportunity to rest starters, get young backups experience, tinker with the playbook, etc. Ultimately, though, I agree with the sentiment that no one forced those conferences to go to a nine-game schedule, so it's a self-inflicted martyr complex that gets old listening to people whine about.

yeah, but the opponent is also losing that tune up opportunity. if a SEC team and a Big10 team play an early season challenging game the SEC team gets an additional cupcake late in the season which the Big10 team does not, and the Big 10 team bears all of the same risks. I don't think its all that big deal but teams in conferences that play 9 conference games are generally at a disadvantage overall.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

That's because no one cares about the ACC

Yeah, my "for some reason" was intended to be sarcasm, ha. My understanding is that the ACC is also debating the issue, though. Seems like everyone in the Power Five will have moved to that model within the next few years or so, after the latest realignment and media rights dust has settled.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah, but the opponent is also losing that tune up opportunity. if a SEC team and a Big10 team play an early season challenging game the SEC team gets an additional cupcake late in the season which the Big10 team does not, and the Big 10 team bears all of the same risks. I don't think its all that big deal but teams in conferences that play 9 conference games are generally at a disadvantage overall.

Sounds like they shouldn't have voted to move to nine conference games, then :secsmug:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

dirty shrimp money posted:

Arizona State, Notre Dame, Miami, and South Florida all made the AAU.

USF to the Big Ten jokes aside, I guess we can't make fun of Arizona State being a dummy school anymore.

Jokes? A not insignificant portion of their fanbase thinks it's going to happen because of that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

Seems like everyone in the Power Five will have moved to that model within the next few years or so, after the latest realignment and media rights dust has settled.

I'm kinda looking at it in the other direction from most of this conversation. I'd like everyone to go to 8 team conference schedule so that you still have to play more G5 schools and give them a chance at glory.

Sure it won't happen all that often, but I want that chance to be there and want to laugh at whoever trips up from the other side. FCS cupcakes I do question and other than the whales I could mostly do without.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Looks like SEC is going 8 games because they're cowards

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'm kinda looking at it in the other direction from most of this conversation. I'd like everyone to go to 8 team conference schedule so that you still have to play more G5 schools and give them a chance at glory.

Sure it won't happen all that often, but I want that chance to be there and want to laugh at whoever trips up from the other side. FCS cupcakes I do question and other than the whales I could mostly do without.

I can get down with this perspective, too. Arguably the biggest draw of college football (and college sports in general) is the inherent David vs. Goliath, haves vs. have-nots dynamic. And sure, those storylines still exist within the Power 5 conferences, but it doesn't hit quite the same if mid-majors are no longer involved.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Sounds like they shouldn't have voted to move to nine conference games, then :secsmug:

I hope this forum has answered why non-SEC conferences think the SEC staying at 8 conference games is stupid. You've certainly answered why the other conferences should think the SEC is being pissy about it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think I might be done with college football if they don't fix this for 2025 and beyond. Why on earth would you be this stupid.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This is a pretty funny twist on it
https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/1664395095259357187?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

I think I might be done with college football if they don't fix this for 2025 and beyond. Why on earth would you be this stupid.

Why would this of all things be the last straw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m guessing the SEC is playing chicken with ESPN on compensation and there’s a 9-game schedule by the end of the 2020s at the latest. Probably by 2025.

And probably they maintain the big games (Auburn-Georgia, Bama-Tenn, Texas-A&M) every year until then, since there’s no actual law that scheduling has to be symmetrical year to year.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 1, 2023