Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 14, 1957)

Honor accounting can get surprisingly complex, so for many people it's better to leave it to the professionals. I subscribe to an honor management service that makes trades on the honor market for me, so I don't have to worry about it at all. They just email me a monthly summary of my current personal honor status. (I hear AI is going to revolutionize the industry soon, taking inspiration from JIT manufacturing and making millisecond-speed trades of honor-as-a-service.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Powered Descent posted:

Honor accounting can get surprisingly complex, so for many people it's better to leave it to the professionals. I subscribe to an honor management service that makes trades on the honor market for me, so I don't have to worry about it at all. They just email me a monthly summary of my current personal honor status. (I hear AI is going to revolutionize the industry soon, taking inspiration from JIT manufacturing and making millisecond-speed trades of honor-as-a-service.)

Join up with my revolutionary honour sharing scheme, by recruiting 11 knights and one king . Having them share 10% with you will allow you to kickstart yourself from 0 to 120% of the averagehonour, if you then share 10 % of that with me, you are still at 108% of average. I will then use that honour boost to commit more honourable acts than a single knight could before returning it to you. If you let your knights into this scheme by having them borrow honour as well you can send even more up to me we can do this even faster and help more people and increase the amount of honourable people in the world. I swear on my own honour that this is totally legit and not at all a scam.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Knights Errant should form a union and demand regular and standardized rates of honor per quest, with cutouts for PTO (pilgrimage time off) and other benefits. The monarchy should not be able to dictate geas-rates and at-will fealty!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let me tell you about a little something called Non-Fealty Tokens

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

A couple of the faces are a bit off but overall I'm enjoying the new style.

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 8-13, 1953)

An adult spoke! Blasphemy! :argh:

Also, lol, baby Linus's recurring "Bang!" punchline would NOT fly today.

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 10-15, 1993)

Squonk!

Dunce

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This guy is still my favorite teacher in the newspaper strips, love him

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/31 - 8/2/41

Did this story need an "evil duplicate" twist? Nope, but it's getting one!

yes....yes!!!!!!!!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They don't function, that's the secret. They're just mad at everything all the time forever. And then we make them mods.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

A couple of the faces are a bit off but overall I'm enjoying the new style.

Some of the expressions reminds me of later day Penny Arcade
which isn't the best of comparisons....though the rest is fine

it's funny to me the mom is the exact same style. Maybe he wanted the kids to read as younger

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rannum posted:

Came here to post this

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There are a couple of panels where they look derpy, but it's not bad art at all.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

I hope it's a secret secret identity.

Personal masturbatorium

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Invisible Scarlet is consistently amazing. :allears:

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Invisible Scarlet O'Neill never fails to make me smile.

An Taoiseach posted:

Uh-oh, when's the last time we had a pregnancy in a Holbrook strip, i think he's in the mood

There was that pseudo-pregnancy arc with the two badger and stoat that transitioned into turtles, I think? Except it turns out the actual turtle mom left her egg behind on purpose and took the child back from the two. But beyond that, it's really been way too long, hasn't it?

The scary thing about Holbrook is that there's a non-zero percent chance he'll make Rudy have a kid with his car. :v:

rannum posted:

it's funny to me the mom is the exact same style. Maybe he wanted the kids to read as younger

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not say anything we can't take back now.

I've seen Penny Arcade get posted in the CCCC webcomics thread and the art got way loving worse over time. Terrible proportions and random poo poo flecks in the background all the time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

rannum posted:

I wouldn't worry until he starts giving everybody wavy, unbroken beaver teeth and bulbous, red W.C. Fields noses.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Absolutely it does get better. Talk to someone, take your meds, take care of yourself and ride it out. Things get a whole lot better a whole lot faster than you may think.

A+J

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

When our son was born, I bullied strongly encouraged my wife into talking to a therapist. To the point where I made the appointment, reminded her of it, and I'm pretty sure I dialed the phone number for her. Post postpartum depression is real and it suuuuucks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "52 - Jucika's Net"

"53 - Jucika's Ski Race"

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

JethroMcB posted:

I wouldn't worry until he starts giving everybody wavy, unbroken beaver teeth and bulbous, red W.C. Fields noses.

This was my exact thought and one of the reasons I quit reading like 10 years ago or some poo poo.

The new style will take some getting used to but it's not too bad honestly. Not a huge swing in a different direction in my eyes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Crabgrass

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sundae posted:

Crabgrass

Oh Jesus.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

To join the bandwagon again: a literal evil twin story. I love Scarlett O'Neill.

F Minus

That is pretty badass.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thought of something interesting to post here.

I wanted to post a 4-panel comic from Japan, because it's an overlooked part of manga culture even though it's very popular in the country. But while looking around I found that somebody did a translation of "The Diary of Ma-chan".

"Ma-chan" ran in 1946 in Shokokumin Shinbun, a newspaper published by Mainichi Newspaper that was distributed to elementary school kids across Japan. The comic featured antics of a pre-school kid and his life.

The comic was short-lived, only running from January to March of 1946 for a total of 73 strips, but it's important historically: it was the professional debut of Osamu Tezuka, who would become a VERY important figure in Japanese comics. He was only 17 years old when it first appeared and, compared to his later works, are crude, but I figure the thread would appreciate checking it out

So... without further ado...I'll post few at a time (each page contains 2 strips)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sundae posted:

Crabgrass

:captainpop:

Someone needs to send this to him.

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 14, 1957)

always know when to leave a party. true wisdom from our man King Arthur.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 8-13, 1953)

An adult spoke! Blasphemy! :argh:

Also, lol, baby Linus's recurring "Bang!" punchline would NOT fly today.

I seem to remember a Snoopy cartoon back in the day where not only did an adult speak but we actually physically saw them (I think it was an origin story though I forget the title)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

I seem to remember a Snoopy cartoon back in the day where not only did an adult speak but we actually physically saw them (I think it was an origin story though I forget the title)

That's "Snoopy's Reunion", which had a few on-screen adults present, most notably the guy who owned the puppy farm.

Some of the later "Peanuts" specials did feature on-screen adults, mostly in the "This is America, Charlie Brown" mini-series, plus few other specials, as well as movie "Bon Voyage Charlie Brown". This was rare, but it happened.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

That's "Snoopy's Reunion", which had a few on-screen adults present, most notably the guy who owned the puppy farm.

Some of the later "Peanuts" specials did feature on-screen adults, mostly in the "This is America, Charlie Brown" mini-series, plus few other specials, as well as movie "Bon Voyage Charlie Brown". This was rare, but it happened.

What was the first cartoon to start using the classic garbled speech (Wah wah wah) for the adults out of curiosity?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JethroMcB posted:

The worst period was when Gabe decided to give Gabe Youthful Freckles on his cheeks like he was the anthro form of a cartoon chipmunk mascot.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

What was the first cartoon to start using the classic garbled speech (Wah wah wah) for the adults out of curiosity?

I had to look this up. It's "You're in Love, Charlie Brown", the 4th Peanuts special released in 1967. Also notably, that was Peppermint Patty's animation debut.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mister Beeg posted:

Some of the later "Peanuts" specials did feature on-screen adults, mostly in the "This is America, Charlie Brown" mini-series,

We just want Peanuts
Peanuts just for you

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

While I’m sure the intent is that Rie just hasn’t heard the rumors about Shakuraku, I choose to interpret her reaction to the writer dude as a “mind your business” death stare.

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

reported for clock penis

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As long as we're thinking about Peanuts strips with speaking parts for adults, there's always this late-period gem. (June 20, 1993)

:3:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

A new story!

Pikipöksy ("pitch pants") is an old slang term for sailors. In this case a surname of a captain.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/30 - 11/1/50

I have not been able to track down Albert's song other than a few references from back in the Usenet era.

I do like that Porky's "speaking French" is just him putting on the same cod-French accent as Hepzibah.

And yes, Marvel fans, Hepzibah of the Starjammers is based on Kelly's Hepzibah.

Archie 6/26-28/47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

amigolupus posted:

This is the same Anthony that Liz eventually ends up marrying despite every reader hating the guy for being a boring nothingburger, right? Same dude who pressured his wife into having children despite her not wanting kids because she's a career woman?

Yes.

amigolupus posted:

Reminder that Older Maria here had no memories of Earth almost getting destroyed by a meteor, despite it being big news at the time, so she had to have come from a divergent timeline. Everyone's an idiot here for assuming Kid Maria will follow in Older Maria's exact footsteps.

Why should we be arsed to remember when it's clear Holbrook doesn't?