Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Aren't they having their big conference in a few hours? Why put out a crappy instagram video to announce your flagship product now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Aren't they having their big conference in a few hours? Why put out a crappy instagram video to announce your flagship product now?

I guess they will repeat the video announcement at the start of the conference. In fact, I expect a pair of games to be Quest 3 exclusives.

BTW, link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejHTa3ZZKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawqEIThi-A
https://twitch.tv/metaquestvr

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Because it's not going to be out until the end of the year.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, noooo.

VRChat would only be worth it for the playerbase, and it'd scatter like roaches before the ink was dry on that contract.

Everything would have to be scrapped as the code's completely different from Meta's ecosystem, and about 60-70% of assets are stolen IP, whether game rips or pirated films.

You'd get less than starting from scratch if you bought VRChat.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah buying VRChat would be another in a long line of big companies buying products that they dont understand and then wondering why no one wants to use the cool new thing they just bought

You are both right. I guess my point is that Metaverse was always doomed to fail when there are other established products like VRChat that accomplish what Metaverse is supposed to but never can.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems the price in Europe will be at least decent

570€. For example, where I have 21% taxes/vat, which would be 105€ from a 500€ base price. (edit, Euro is stronger than the $ right now, so that explains it. Still, we are accustomed in Europe to pay 40-100€ more just because, so it's nice they aren't doing the same here)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At that price I'd just get a PSVR2.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
sticking with quest because cheap steam games, but more importantly, wireless. i will not go back to wired. can't do it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thinking about it again, at that price I expected a better strap. I hate the basic one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

PSVR2 costs twice as much and you cant't connect pc to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

And a Playstation 5?

Edit; Headset looks nice but I'm primarily using mine for PCVR these days and I can't imagine this will really be worth upgrading for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MikusR posted:

PSVR2 costs twice as much and you cant't connect pc to it.

From start yes but I have a Pico for PC stuff, have a PS5 and I trust Sony to continue making games for the PSVR2.

Of course the actual answer is I'm not going to get another headset, but more comfortable is not enough to get me to drop £550 to go back to Oculus when they're still entirely front loading the headset's weight.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 1, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

from the trailer

The headstrap is different, the top part bifurcates into two, so it seems a bit better.
Also I wanted to hold your attention to the tracking cameras, they are much more to the sides. rgb front cameras take care of the front area and thanks to that, they have moved the side tracking cameras even more to the sides?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After the Apple announcement I'll need to update the OP, it's already a little out of date with PSVR2's release but I didn't really touch it since it has it's own thread anyway.

What's the hardware cut-off point now? Is it worth dedicating space to the Rift S? The Vive Pro? Should it mention the Bigscreen HMD? Just want to get some feelers out on what people think is important to include and what shouldn't be bothered with.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

After the Apple announcement I'll need to update the OP, it's already a little out of date with PSVR2's release but I didn't really touch it since it has it's own thread anyway.

What's the hardware cut-off point now? Is it worth dedicating space to the Rift S? The Vive Pro? Should it mention the Bigscreen HMD? Just want to get some feelers out on what people think is important to include and what shouldn't be bothered with.

I would put the following. Not rift S or Vive Pro.

Standalone:
Quest 2 / quest 3
Pico Neo 4

Console:
PSVR2

PC:
"Legacy" but important enough to put it - Index
New hope mention - Bigscreen hmd
Maybe some pimax?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Content is king and I don't have faith at this point for Meta to attract more talented developers to the platform.

Hopefully Apple enters the market next week and brings the masses with them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
isn't apple still a massive joke in gaming?
they releasing a headset isn't going to change that for a few more years at best lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Truga posted:

they releasing a headset isn't going to change that for a few more years at best lol

I also can't imagine a prohibitively expensive headset will entice too many devs to come work for their exclusive walled garden platform either. People balked at the price of the Quest pro but this by all accounts will be on another level from that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

I think it’s worth it for the Rift S (but probably not the CV1)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Truga posted:

Even less at the rumored price....

Well, while we wait for the showcase, I was reading this review

https://www.uploadvr.com/killer-frequency-review/

It looks like an interesting idea for a game, but it seems at the end of day, the gameplay is about getting some clues and then selecting the correct option of a floating menu. Not very VR-like.

Then again it doesn't even seem to be a gameplay centric game, but more about the vibe and the narrative.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Truga posted:

What apple is NOT a joke in is SOC performance and display tech, both things that are hugely important to a VR/AR headset

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Keep the Vive Pro. It's legitimately a great HMD at its low weight and high IPD range.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think it’s worth it for the Rift S (but probably not the CV1)

No, it's EOL tech with a limited shelf-life as the Meta ecosystem evolves away from it. Also the microphone is flat garbage and was never fixed.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 1, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
ETA to when they lock down the quest 2 like they did the quest 1? I'm not buying a new one of these every 1 to 2 years lol.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

Mostly, but not entirely?

Apple Arcade got a lot of small but very well regarded indie games, and I think it's generally still considered to be the go-to service if you want to play actually good games on mobile rather than skinner boxes. It's unlikely, but if they were able to replicate that sort of service on a VR headset they could put together a very respectable offering.

Of course the problem with that is, great games don't just come out of nowhere. Unless they've got a lot of behind-the-scenes deals already going, you're probably right; it'd likely take a couple of years for them to build up a serious offering.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they’re announcing Q3 exclusive games today I give the Q2 a year at most.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably a lot longer because it sold a lot more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it's EOL tech with a limited shelf-life as the Meta ecosystem evolves away from it. Also the microphone is flat garbage and was never fixed.

I mean, the Vive pro is EOL too, no? And Metas software still fully supports the CV1, and (I believe) the DK2 to a limited extent

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NRVNQSR posted:

Of course the problem with that is, great games don't just come out of nowhere. Unless they've got a lot of behind-the-scenes deals already going, you're probably right; it'd likely take a couple of years for them to build up a serious offering.

I grow old and am not as tuned to the gaming industry as I used to be. Years will be needed to build up a catalog but I think Apple just needs a single console-seller title like Nintendo had Mario, and Xbox had Halo. I can't think of a console-seller for the Quest. In the past I would have said Echo Arena but that is long gone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What apple is NOT a joke in is SOC performance and display tech, both things that are hugely important to a VR/AR headset

at the rumored price i'd honestly just keep waiting for deckard lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I mean, the Vive pro is EOL too, no? And Metas software still fully supports the CV1, and (I believe) the DK2 to a limited extent

Vive Pro is a SteamVR headset, which is an open platform. Oculus is its own bespoke container and shouldn't be trusted for hardware preservation long-term.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
"But that’s not all! In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro."

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just hope Quest 3 doesnt have the stick drift issue of the Q2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MikusR posted:

"But that’s not all! In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro."

I was going to post it.

Ques 3 + quest 2 upgrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5sqUg7RvjM
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/quest/vr-hardware-news-quest-3-sneak-peek-price-drop/

I wonder what's going to happen with the battery?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder what's going to happen with the battery?

Don't care. Just plug in an Anker and ya'll good for hours.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hell yeah, love 2 wear batteries cantilevered off of the top of my head.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Don't care. Just plug in an Anker and ya'll good for hours.

You and me already do that, but I wonder if now that will be the almost-official way of using it for the more casual 'mainstream' player.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mutata posted:

if i hypothetically want to do something dumb like this what products do i need to buy

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mutata posted:

It quite literally makes the headset much more comfortable, so unironically yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it’s cool that the quests are getting a horsepower bump, but fracturing the hardware base isn’t good.

Buckle up for complaints of “this doesn’t run well on the OG Quest 2” or “this doesn’t take advantage of the new Quest 2’s cpu and gpu” in every single review

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Al! posted:

if i hypothetically want to do something dumb like this what products do i need to buy

Few strips of velcro and a usb battery pack is all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mutata posted: