Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Here in glorious Nippon, Disney+ and Netflix both have Witch From Mercury, but only in Japanese. I downloaded Hathaway to watch on the flight though.

Guess I'll grab the first season of 00 as well. It's a long flight after all.

Edit: Never mind. That one's Japanese only too. My 日本語 is good enough to struggle through a conversation with a patient native speaker, but not to follow a TV show not for small children.

Can you read subs? Crunchyroll should have English subs for all its shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Billy Katagiri from 00 was Canadian, I think? Really nice guy, that one.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
There's a Macross episode where an unnamed midsize city in Ontario is vaporized when an energy shield overloads.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how all of our notable cities are lined up along the Great Lakes the Zentraedi could have blown away more than one city in the process.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFg3xOsR_M

Are we sure that Wing wasn't intended to be a comedy.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Probably, but that just makes it funnier.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Are we sure that Wing wasn't intended to be a comedy.

i don't think the whole thing is but there's scenes that i think are very clearly intentional jokes

i don't think that one's one of them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The context there is Heero is plummeting to his death and because of his latent suicidal tendencies he doesn't pull the parachute until it was too late. The ragdolling doesn't seem particularly funny, it's the result of not pulling the chord fast enough. it's the music that starts up at the end that is kinda goofy. I wanna say right after this we see Heero like "fixing" the leg he broke in the fall in a pretty gruesome way, too.

So probably not intended to be funny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's hilarious, he just keeps going and going from falling in the air to tumbling down a rock face to being thrown across the sand, and then he just loving stands up after all of that while a dramatic stinger plays. not a single visible scratch on him.

it's that fun aspect of wing where they're going wildly over the top, but without being so cartoony about it that you no longer have a suspension of disbelief to break. because the other thing that scene is there to show off is that heero's body is god drat indestructible, and they don't half rear end it.

i believe it's what they call "camp"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/SayaDoesStuff/status/1664124781766283265?s=20

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve never heard of Jizil Jizin before but that’s easily a top 5 Gundam name for me now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, in news I’m sure you’re all dying to hear about, I finally watched Green Divers now that it’s available for public viewing online. (I also watched Gundam: The Ride, which is much shorter, and with a much less detailed plot, despite shared characters, but we’re going to come back to that later if at all. Green Divers is the focus here.)

Now, Green Diver has… well, it would be an exaggeration to call it a holy grail. There weren’t enough people questing for it at any given time to say that it was a central goal, and the original display format wasn’t humble enough for a carpenter’s cup. But it was a rarity all the same, the Gundam anime you couldn’t watch in English, or even in Japanese. It only existed in secondhand reports and screenshots, a limitation to even the most obsessive fan. Even if you somehow watched SD Scramble, Artesia Rides Again, and SD Gundam Festival, you’d hit a brick wall with Divers, leaving the list forever incomplete. And that made Green Diver more interesting than its peers in odd Gundam shorts. Its virtues could be endless, while its implementation of its concepts was unimpeachable.

Then it was released, in a generous moment from Bandai to promote its latest Mobile games (which are, presumably, making insane enough money to more than justify the decisions, judging from the stock reports), and now it wasn’t that any more. Now it was a concrete release, ready to fight the rest of Gundam on even terms for claims as a fan favorite among the endless ranks of classic and not so classic releases.

Which is an excessively drawn out way to say that I saw Green Divers, and it’s not particularly good.

It’s not terrible either, mind. It’s a basic plot, implemented competently. Two kids are stuck in a crashing space station and have to ride an escape shuttle to Earth. (The shuttle is called the Aerial and the station is called the Prospero, in case Witch leaves you needing more Tempest references.) It’s just not much than that. In theory, this could have been something really compelling. Maybe it could focus on the character dynamics, using the half hour to make us care about the two kids and their sibling bond. But it doesn’t do much with that, with the two kids being fairly bland. It also could go with the Apollo 13 or Martian route, focusing on the problem solving, but all the solutions are really basic.

It doesn’t even go in heavily for fan service. Sure, Amuro and Jack the Halloween show up, but both of them only have brief cameos, with the new kids taking up the bulk of the screentime. (And the mechs are CG, so that’s a bit of a drawback.)

I’m not going to say not to watch it. Green Diver is short and it’s not terrible. But it’s well below, say, the intro to Battlefield Record.

Maybe it was better with the original special effects and fancy screens. Even then, though... well, good that it lost the mystique. Just a shame that it didn't have that much else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It might not be anything special to us, outside of it's historical significance, watching it now on our little laptops at home. But imagine you're watching it across a giant planetarium screen, and also you're on a boring rear end school trip and you spent the last hour getting lectured about telescopes or whatever.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I’m glad to see that I am not the only one who made a connection between Gundam and Italian Futurism (in particular Boccioni’s Unique Forms of Continuity in Space:
http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2020/09/thoughts-on-this-gundam.html?m=1

quote:

I'm not sure which is more interesting, the idea that the Gundam designer(s?) deliberately looked at Boccioni first, or that they are a form of parallel evolution.

Masculinity, the machine, speed, forward movement, dynamism, all trying to capture those elements in a still three-dimensional figure.

(They even both have a projecting horn thing).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lmao, son of a bitch

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1664770117211680770?s=20

It’s called gundam wearwolf because it’s a loving game of werewolf!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, son of a bitch

That explains why a little old lady got mutilated late last night.

We can only hope someone trustworthy like Lt. Quattro is around to sort things out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

chiasaur11 posted:

That explains why a little old lady got mutilated late last night.

We can only hope someone trustworthy like Lt. Quattro is around to sort things out.

She could have been a mother to somebody. :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, son of a bitch

Bizarre combination. It'll never work. It's like combining an orthodox mystery and magic; perfectly incompatible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

Bizarre combination. It'll never work. It's like combining an orthodox mystery and magic; perfectly incompatible.

:discourse:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/GundamBattleGW/status/1665546548665626626?s=20

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I really wanted to like gundam breaker mobile but I really didn't like the monetization, the gameplay felt lackluster and it always just drove me to play Gundam Breaker 3 instead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I really wanted to like gundam breaker mobile but I really didn't like the monetization, the gameplay felt lackluster and it always just drove me to play Gundam Breaker 3 instead.

It was impressive for a mobile game in ways, and the writing was sharper than I expected going in, by a lot, but yeah. It was basically a number comparison most of the time.

I'll still miss it, I think. It got pretty generous by the end, and I didn't really get to do a goodbye due to phone issues.

Ah well. We'll always have the battlogue. And the plot wrapped up pretty well back in January, so there's that.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i wish they would just release a standalone version of the custom gunpla builder

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/gundamvs/status/1665644642660933633?s=20

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

That's the thing, yeah. Functionally all of the good stuff that Gundam Breaker Mobile had going was just ripped off from the main series and with a gacha business model slapped onto it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
With how many gundam games are making it to PC these days, I'm still holding out that tiny impossible hope of getting a good gundam breaker on PC. Maybe they'll just make a new one, a proper 4.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Despair Memory Gundam is terrible but "Gun Dorado" is a drat good name.

edit: I'm catching up on my Gundam manga and in Moon Michelle and her background from NT is being inserted into the storyline..

extra edit: MSV Yazans Night Stalker GM got blown up so now he gets to pilot a Gundam Mk. II

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 7, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu_game/status/1666673910702645249?t=Ie4waR4qiXeFulEI7h_6bQ&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The event is only soup? There's just more soup?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

The event is only soup? There's just more soup?

Where are you right now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm at the soup banner

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Soup sounds kinda good right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For a long time I wondered why the fight cinematography in Zeta was so underwhelming compared to ZZ.

Recently I learned that it aired in the same time slot as another show produced by Sunrise. Despite both being from the same studio they were in direct competition and this other show suffered badly for it. But it did have, in its favor, much more dynamic animated fight choreography, blocking, and framing. This was Blue Comet SPT Layzner, written by Ryosuke Takahashi of VOTOMs fame. While its budget was rough and only got rougher when its main sponsor had to pull out due to legal battles involving faulty products, its fight scenes on the whole still tended to be more visually interesting than Zeta's, especially in its latter half.

I was curious if anybody could confirm whether some of the animators who worked on Layzner were the ones who spiced up ZZ Gundam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

multiple layzner episode directors are storyboard artists on zz without having worked on zeta so i wouldnt be surprised if thats the silver bullet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

multiple layzner episode directors are storyboard artists on zz without having worked on zeta so i wouldnt be surprised if thats the silver bullet.

nice, thanks for looking into it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

youre specifically looking at

katsuyoshi yatabe (storyboard artist and episode director for a lot of the Brave series, lead director for Fighbird and Da-Garn)
kiyoshi egami (storyboard artist on victory gundam and the kirby anime, notably still working at Sunrise and has directed a couple of episodes of G-Witch)
takashi imanishi (gundam 0083 director, episode director and storyboard artist on a lot of VOTOMS stuff, including armored hunter mellowlink)
and tokifumi takizawa (dirty pair director, storyboard artist on a lot of the original VOTOMS tv series, as well as g gundam and patlabor)

as the main guys who were decently high level on both zz and layzner but werent present on zeta.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I noticed the fights have better choreography but also some smoother animation, especially during the earth parts of ZZ (I just finished episode 34: Kamille’s Voice this morning), so I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking the fights are a step above Zeta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of the fights in Zeta are pretty rear end. Need more of that Tomino flair for the comedic, imo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
ZZ's fight scenes are generally above average for a long form TV slot Gundam show. It doesn't hit the choreography high points that Victory does, but it's pretty decent looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I seems to remember the battle between Kamille and Jerid (in a Galbaldy) on the moon was unusually striking. Cool use of colour and shadow. As for ZZ, basically everything surrounding the Dublin drop and its immediate aftermath was gold.