Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

They're such different games that saying one is better than the other doesn't make any sense.

Bloodstained has its flaws but if you're looking for a game modelled after Symphony of the Night there's not really anything else out there. It's a game that gives you dozens of options for combat and traversal and doesn't give a poo poo about balance.

Blasphemous is very much the opposite. It's Dark Souls in 2D, and from the hour I've played, it's very well done. Just incredibly oppressive to the point at which I had to put it down.

Dead Cells is very good too, albeit a very different flavor of Metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Looking at that Humble Bundle, between Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Bloodstained and Rain World the real standout people aren't going to recognize is Lone Fungus.

Picked it up for $15 and it was worth it. Lone Fungus openly takes most its beats from Hollow Knight in terms of freedom of exploration and upgrade/combat systems, but has a significant chunk of Celeste in terms of platforming ability and coupling new mechanics to new biomes. Massive sprawling world, and while I think I'm getting close to an ending I'm still not quite sure all the cool things I can actually do. There's a comedic amount of accessibility options for players who want an easier or harder experience, and the game does a lot to ensure the player always has viable new directions to explore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jokes posted:

Through the magical power of accessing folders through a file browser you can change the fonts on PC.

Its trivially easy to do on PC. Not so much on the console and mobile versions. I dont know what the reasoning behind the bad fonts was in the first place.

Even on the good Square Enix ports/remakes have some weird monkey paw flaw thrown in there. I think the last thing Square needs to do to truly perfect the Pixel Remasters is fix the drat scrolling issue.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Srice posted:

Anyone ever had an issue with their deck where one of the triggers feels a little mushy? I can feel a little bit of mushiness when squeezing the right trigger all the way down. It doesn't affect the trigger's functionality in any way but it is mildly annoying. Wondering if anyone else had that and found a way to fix it. Searching through reddit I saw that some folks had some success with opening their deck and moving the trigger mount a tiny bit (because the trigger was slightly rubbing against the shell) but curious to hear if anyone around here had that issue.

I have had this issue and hope someone else here was able to fix it since I have no clue. It feels like the trigger is getting caught on something.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Not necessarily steam deck specific but just bought Dont Feed The Monkeys on sale for like 2.50 and really digging the game and it works perfect on steam deck

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Modding is a little bit of a pain but the short of it is usually some variant on
- download the mod manager / setup
- add to steam as non-steam game and add proton in its properties
- run mod manager / setup via steam

Thanks for the info. Sounds annoying especially with the completely different folder structure between Linux and Windows. I'd imagine that it breaks lots of mods.

Is it even possible to use cheat trainers in Linux?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Who among us will be the first to report back with a Street Fighter 6 on Steam Deck performance deep dive?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Same but We Love Katamari.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

hadji murad posted:

Same but We Love Katamari.

We did a review of it, but we got bored before pressing upload and went horseriding instead. The file must still be somewhere on Earth, just roll it up while you're at it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From the stuff I've read SF6 works perfectly in World Tour but multiplayer crashes the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How do the Telltale games look and play on deck? I'm debating finally getting around to playing a bunch of them, do they have non-poo poo gamepad controls?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

I have had this issue and hope someone else here was able to fix it since I have no clue. It feels like the trigger is getting caught on something.

Yeah that's what it feels like for me too.

This is a reddit thread with someone with the problem & what they did to fix it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/zdjcxb/mushy_trigger_resolved/

I figure this weekend if I get the chance I'm gonna sit down and try that fix out for myself since it doesn't sound terribly complicated? Otherwise worse comes to worse I'm still within the one year warranty so I could try my luck with a RMA if I can't get it fixed.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

When I swapped out the SSD in my friend’s Steam Deck a couple weekends ago, I rewatched the initial tear down video that Valve posted to YouTube way back when. He mentioned that they use soft metal for the screws, which explains why I’ve seen a few people, including me, say they’ve stripped screws. Such a weird design choice.

Anyway, since I have an addiction to buying controllers I don’t need, I got the 2.4ghz 8bitdo wireless controller for PC. Works on Steam Deck with no hassle. Despite the Deck recognizing it as an Xbox controller, it defaulted to the Nintendo face button placement. Weird quirk. But enjoying the controller. Max Payne 3 worked real well with it.

Nice, glad you got it. Stripped tiny screws in nice electronics really suck.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fuzz posted:

How do the Telltale games look and play on deck? I'm debating finally getting around to playing a bunch of them, do they have non-poo poo gamepad controls?
Cant vouch for Deck specifically, but all those games came out for consoles so the gamepad controls are fine. Recently replayed The Wolf Among Us on PC and the controls werent an issue at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

njsykora posted:

From the stuff I've read SF6 works perfectly in World Tour but multiplayer crashes the game.

Not had this experience, what little I played of online worked fine. World Tour unfortunately probably runs like trash though, so I might end up having to cap it at 30fps.

Just world tour though, normal matches hit and 60 just fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Trying to play System Shock (2023) on my Deck and I think it's pretty obvious that while the game technically has gamepad support, it's really geared for KB+M which is why the console versions have been delayed.

Like, the inventory is managed through using the right joystick as a mouse cursor. Which isn't too bad on the Deck since I can just use the trackpad to directly manipulate the mouse cursor (Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad template), so I'm fine with that. I don't think I'd want to play it docked with a gamepad though.

I'm also having issues with button rebinds. I wanted to put toggle crouch on L3, sprint/lean on Y, and reload (or mode switch, I guess) on B. The problem is that the default bindings map both sprint and lean to L3, but when you go to change it, the menu won't let you assign a replacement to both sprint and lean, just one. I actually got around this by hex-editng ShockSettings.sav, but also the game isn't letting me lean at all either with the original assignments or rebound ones, unless I'm missing how you're supposed to lean with a gamepad.

I made the mistake of binding "show context menu" on B, since B also closes the inventory and can't be rebound. That's fine, I figure it makes sense to put it on R3 so I can just click the trackpad to bring up that menu, and it's still quasi-usable when docked.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Would love to hear more SF6/Diablo 4 trip reports. I'm spending an extended several month period away from my PC and thinking about picking something up.

Also thinking about getting an SD card to install Windows and those games on, not sure if they'd run better sans Proton.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just did the fan surgery and I must have gotten lucky, it was incredibly easy.

The new fan is a huge improvement too, so thanks for pointing me that way! Now what do I do with the old fan?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tuyop posted:

Just did the fan surgery and I must have gotten lucky, it was incredibly easy.

The new fan is a huge improvement too, so thanks for pointing me that way! Now what do I do with the old fan?

Get a usb converter, mount it to the dash of your car, to prepare for the sweltering summer months.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are there any known issues with connecting multiple bluetooth controllers? I've been playing Mario Kart 8 emulated on Yuzu with my kid (Xbox One S controller for me, 8bitdo SN30 Pro for him) which works absolutely fine. Tonight I tried adding a third player on a Steam Controller (connected via bluetooth, couldn't find the dongle) and we kept having issues with controllers becoming unresponsive, although they did stay connected.

Obviously between the deck, emulation and a controller I hadn't used in years there's a huge list of things that could have gone wrong, but is there any obvious cause I've overlooked? If I find the dongle I might try again with that and see how it goes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Are there any known issues with connecting multiple bluetooth controllers?

To answer your question briefly, yes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

Are there any known issues with connecting multiple bluetooth controllers? I've been playing Mario Kart 8 emulated on Yuzu with my kid (Xbox One S controller for me, 8bitdo SN30 Pro for him) which works absolutely fine. Tonight I tried adding a third player on a Steam Controller (connected via bluetooth, couldn't find the dongle) and we kept having issues with controllers becoming unresponsive, although they did stay connected.

Obviously between the deck, emulation and a controller I hadn't used in years there's a huge list of things that could have gone wrong, but is there any obvious cause I've overlooked? If I find the dongle I might try again with that and see how it goes.

Ive done two BT controllers (ps4 and xbone) at the same time on the deck and it was perfectly fine. However, I have very rarely had an issue-free time using controllers with computers in general, so this is basically the best a Bluetooth controller has ever worked for me on a pc.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
So my only console is a PS4 but have a decent gaming PC, am I crazy for trying to play SF6 via streaming from my steam deck? From the videos and reviews Ive watched it seems like the controls/timing might be a little more generous than its predecessors so hoping if Im a low tier scrub that it wont add too much latency.. everything is Ethernet fwiw

roffles fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 2, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The latency for in home streaming isnt actually that bad. Its when you are out of the house and trying to do it when it can creep up.

Id set it up and try it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

roffles posted:

So my only console is a PS4 but have a decent gaming PC, am I crazy for trying to play SF6 via streaming from my steam deck? From the videos and reviews Ive watched it seems like the controls/timing might be a little more generous than its predecessors so hoping if Im a low tier scrub that it wont add too much latency.. everything is Ethernet fwiw

I use Chiaki to remote play from PS4 for golf games. They use a lot of timing button presses and I've never had an issue.

I don't know how taps in golf swings compare to fighting games, but it's never screwed me on swing timing.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The latency for in home streaming isnt actually that bad. Its when you are out of the house and trying to do it when it can creep up.

Id set it up and try it.

yeah Im somewhat optimistic since i play hades the same way and never really noticed a problem. Ill probably buy it for PC and worst case I guess Ill drag my PC into my living room, fighting games are the only thing that I absolutely refuse to play unless its couch/TV.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I'm trying to install battle.net games, I have the client up and running through steam but every game on the client is missing its install button. I can access the shop, see game news, change account details, basically everything a normal pc client can do except the install button for games is just completely gone. I must be doing something wrong but I seem to be doing everything fine?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are you trying it in desktop mode?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Never mind, I finally found a solution off an ancient reddit thread. You have to resize the window by double clicking with a mouse on the top of the launcher because the button is offscreen.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

So I'm trying to install battle.net games, I have the client up and running through steam but every game on the client is missing its install button. I can access the shop, see game news, change account details, basically everything a normal pc client can do except the install button for games is just completely gone. I must be doing something wrong but I seem to be doing everything fine?

A weird thing with battle.net is the first time it starts in windowed mode...which cuts off the bottom of the screen on the Deck. Go into Desktop Mode, make it full screen, then relaunch game mode.

Might be the issue here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also reminder go to settings on battle.net and change on game launch to exit battle.net completely

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

roffles posted:

So my only console is a PS4 but have a decent gaming PC, am I crazy for trying to play SF6 via streaming from my steam deck? From the videos and reviews I’ve watched it seems like the controls/timing might be a little more generous than it’s predecessors so hoping if I’m a low tier scrub that it won’t add too much latency….. everything is Ethernet fwiw

I've heard SF6 works great natively on the deck

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

D4 is running great on the deck on medium settings. Actually runs a lot better than the beta

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You paid 100 dollars for a blizzard game lmao

I mean I'm one to talk I've bought three steam decks but by God man have some decency

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 3, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kwolok posted:

I mean I'm one to talk I've bought three steam decks

I don't think you can daisy chain them for more power, my friend.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Or maybe you can...? I remember hearing cool things about Beowulf clusters a decade ago or so.

Has someone daisy chained a bunch of Steam Decks to play Diablo at a higher frame rate?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's not something you can do.

However, you could install slurm and do some computing.

Not sure why you would, but you totally could.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm going to try it

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Someone better with budgeting help me, my family is starving.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Blizzard $3,600
Utility $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Someone better with budgeting help me, my family is starving.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Blizzard $3,600
Utility $150

Really no one cares.