Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Have we discussed unwinnable yet forced boss fight encounters?

I'm looking at you Star Wars: Jedi Survivor. Anyone that has even a remote understanding of the franchise can probably guess the "cameo" appearance and subsequently understand that there is likely only ONE way this plays out. I would have been OK with a perfunctory "sure dude, parry some attack and get some licks in before we put you back on the rails." But NO! Let's have you go three phases of parry and unblockables against a sad boi beefcake brick shithouse that hits HARD just so you can whittle the health bar down to a quarter and THEN we'll give you the cut scene you probably knew was coming anyway.

The biggest punch to the gut though is that all this nets me zero character progression since the actual protagonist already got curb stomped by the heel turn plot twist in a similar situation and is lying unconscious halfway across the map.

The cut scene was actually kind of fun and probably would have hit a lot hard for me a Star Wars nerd if I had watched it all play out on the initial attempt and not the 10th or 11th when I'm already mashing B through the first few mini vignettes of the first and second phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, it would have been nice if there were two paths during that bit. One where you lose legitimately and it plays a cutscene where you are rightfully cut down, and another where you earn the satisfaction of handing him his rear end, and then still lose due to cut scene bullshit. I guess, given what happens in the story, if he wins that fight, then you need some even bigger deus ex machina to stop him from killing everybody.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
All 'unwinnable' fights should be winnable, giving you some sort of small reward, even if it's a brief change to the cutscene that follows or even just the pride of knowing you did it. Doesn't matter if it doesn't change anything in the long run - maybe the boss pulls out some bullshit to defeat you as you are about to win, or someone else requires your help, requiring you to flee, whatever.

Like, Sekiro (I think? It's been a while) has its first 'boss fight' as a loving hard dude that you're supposed to lose to, but if you beat them, you see Mr Sekiro go to deliver the final blow before someone else comes from behind and fucks your poo poo up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I really wish that had unlocked a superhard mode. If you didn't know, Johnny Sekiro gets his arm chopped off after that bossfight, no matter if you win or lose, and replaced with a prosthetic that can use a bunch of Castlevania sideweapons (a spear, firecrackers, a shield, etc), and also a grappling hook. What I want is for the game to say "tough guy huh? well you get to not use any of the cool toys", and just not chop your arm off, thus not giving you the fake arm.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s the wrong thread, but I liked how Sekiro retroactively explained away how the gently caress Wolf no-sells as many attacks as he does with a freaking dex weapon with NG+ having that be an optional feature tied to not taking your master’s charm, implying that his divine protection lets you tank bullet shots and all manner of other bullshit things just by holding guard.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Philippe posted:

I really wish that had unlocked a superhard mode. If you didn't know, Johnny Sekiro gets his arm chopped off after that bossfight, no matter if you win or lose, and replaced with a prosthetic that can use a bunch of Castlevania sideweapons (a spear, firecrackers, a shield, etc), and also a grappling hook. What I want is for the game to say "tough guy huh? well you get to not use any of the cool toys", and just not chop your arm off, thus not giving you the fake arm.

Is the game even beatable without the grappling hook?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They could have fudged it by giving you a regular grappling hook

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I don't mind it as much when unwinnable means that you lose a fight but the game goes on, like early on in DMC5. The worst that can happen is that you use singe use items. Plus they often have cute easter eggs if you manage to win. I really hate when the game fails you if you lose the fight but then makes you lose in a cutscene when you win.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The game that did the unwinnable fight best is Elden Ring. It is ridiculously hard without true gimmicks, you get cool items if you win, you can get the items later by returning to the zone and beating the boss, and if you win you die from falling of a cliff while exploring the zone behind the boss without cutscene.

Sekiro's cutscene is not great, but forgivable. Because Sekiro has a crippling character fault of falling to surprise attacks from behind, which he overcomes in a triumphant cutscene halfway through the game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

it is kind of weird that his name is Johnny Sekiro before he loses his arm. Talk about nominative determinism.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Philippe posted:

A normal hand can also use those things though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SiKboy posted:

A normal hand can also use those things though.

Then do what MK9 did for Cyrax and Sektor. The alt costumes of those characters are their human forms, so they don't have cyborg enhancements, and those attacks have slightly different speed and damage numbers. So if you can beat that first boss, you still get the spear and grapple and whatever else, but since you are volunteering for hard mode, maybe the range is shortened or they don't hit as hard or are otherwise less effectivve.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where's our kaizo Sekiro mod modders?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Where's our kaizo Sekiro mod modders?

You jump up on a roof. You're instantly knocked off by an invisible archer.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leal posted:

You jump up on a roof. You're instantly knocked off by eighteen screaming kitemen dive-bombing from nowhere.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Since I got rid of my PS5 I was really craving some Bloodborne so I decided to upgrade the remainder of my PS+ to the most expensive tier to stream it on my PC and for some reason the version of Bloodborne on there is version 1.0 with no DLC and the minute-long load times.

What's even worse is that, supposedly, on PSNow (before the 3-tiered PS plusses) they had the latest, Old Hunters version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CordlessPen posted:

Since I got rid of my PS5 I was really craving some Bloodborne so I decided to upgrade the remainder of my PS+ to the most expensive tier to stream it on my PC and for some reason the version of Bloodborne on there is version 1.0 with no DLC and the minute-long load times.

What's even worse is that, supposedly, on PSNow (before the 3-tiered PS plusses) they had the latest, Old Hunters version.

According to this it was not so you're not missing out

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/tkai1e/ps_now_and_dlc/

BUT 1.0 has an item duplication bug so you can exploit the poo poo out of it at least? It's kind of lovely that the pc bloodborne is that bare bones though

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Leal posted:

You jump up on a roof. You're instantly knocked off by an invisible archer.

But Ordina, Liturgical Town isn't in Sekiro. :confused:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

But Ordina, Liturgical Town isn't in Sekiro. :confused:

Yeah but they can shoot there from where they are no worries

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dead Island 2 is fun enough for a mindless hack and slasher, but every single NPC has the most obnoxious and terrible dialogue and you can't do anything while theyre talking, including moving

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Batman Arkham Knight got a lot of poo poo for the Batmobile and while it IS overused, it didn't get on my nerves until the "now kill seven Cobra tanks" section before you go after the cloudburst tank. The Cobra tank has exactly one gimmick (shoot it in the back!) and adding more doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it take longer. It's not a test of your skills or of anything the previous encounters taught you, it's literally just padding. The fighting and the predator sections you can at least try out different weapons or impose rules on yourself (like, I dunno, every guard has to be taken down from a floor grate), the Cobras have no variation whatsoever. You get behind them, you shoot them, you run away from the other ones for a bit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fil5000 posted:

Batman Arkham Knight got a lot of poo poo for the Batmobile and while it IS overused, it didn't get on my nerves until the "now kill seven Cobra tanks" section before you go after the cloudburst tank. The Cobra tank has exactly one gimmick (shoot it in the back!) and adding more doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it take longer. It's not a test of your skills or of anything the previous encounters taught you, it's literally just padding. The fighting and the predator sections you can at least try out different weapons or impose rules on yourself (like, I dunno, every guard has to be taken down from a floor grate), the Cobras have no variation whatsoever. You get behind them, you shoot them, you run away from the other ones for a bit.

I didn't mind the Batmobile much in general but goddamn whoever had the idea for 'Batmobile stealth' needs to be shot out of a cannon.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember the Batmobile annoying me when I played through the game on (I think?) PS4 when it was new. But when I recently started replaying the game on Xbox, I was surprised just how soon they hit you over the head with it. Too many Riddler "trophies" are stupid gimmick races (including the very first one), every other mission has "tank battle arena" or "chase and explode x enemy cars" parts, I hated it and stopped the replay. And thanks you, now I remember the Cobra tank fights :suicide:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

orcane posted:

I remember the Batmobile annoying me when I played through the game on (I think?) PS4 when it was new. But when I recently started replaying the game on Xbox, I was surprised just how soon they hit you over the head with it. Too many Riddler "trophies" are stupid gimmick races (including the very first one), every other mission has "tank battle arena" or "chase and explode x enemy cars" parts, I hated it and stopped the replay. And thanks you, now I remember the Cobra tank fights :suicide:

The tank battle arenas at least get more frenetic as they introduce new drone tank types as well as the helicopters, and you get more options for dealing with them like the missiles and the EMP. There's too much of it but a lot of it is optional at least. Cobras stand inbetween you and the plot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't really mind the batmobile parts but I didn't like them either and, yeah, it was way overused.

The only real parts that used it that I found clever or interesting were the few areas that you needed to solve an environmental puzzle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They should've added more Batmobie mechanics. It should've had a beat down combo and been able to flip over tanks and grapple onto buildings.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been working on lighting the depths in TotK and usually when there's a small circle that hasn't been lit there's something worth your time there.

Not under Lake Hylia. it's just an empty room without anything of note

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ok, guess I won't bother going there then :tinfoil:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Len posted:

I've been working on lighting the depths in TotK and usually when there's a small circle that hasn't been lit there's something worth your time there.

Not under Lake Hylia. it's just an empty room without anything of note

I think that there’s a shrine on a skyland above the lake and the crystal to activate it is in the depths.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

I think that there’s a shrine on a skyland above the lake and the crystal to activate it is in the depths.

Spoiler about this spoiler: No, that's not where the crystal is. It's in a cave under the whirlpool

Edit: Wait wrong one.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The light roots in the depths are in the same spots as shrines on the surface. There are a few light roots that are really tiny and don't illuminate much.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've been playing Pioneers of Olive Town lately, and it's not bad. It's hard to measure up to Stardew but whatever.

Anyway my issue is the music. Overall it's, at best, not terrible. But I've just reached Summer and gently caress, the background music made me turn it all off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhlUDsWPhE

It starts out good, like beach vibes and poo poo, then that loving trumpet blare

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

It starts out good, like beach vibes and poo poo, then that loving trumpet blare

So the game got too horny for you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RandolphCarter posted:

The shrines in the whirlpool, the gems in the sky, and the root really only exists to tell you to go into the whirlpool

I get why it is the way it is but man did I feel cheated

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Pioneers of Olive Town lately, and it's not bad. It's hard to measure up to Stardew but whatever.

Anyway my issue is the music. Overall it's, at best, not terrible. But I've just reached Summer and gently caress, the background music made me turn it all off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhlUDsWPhE

Yeah that is out of place imo. It sounds like they used Trombone Champ to record it lol.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Len posted:

The shrines in the whirlpool, the gems in the sky, and the root really only exists to tell you to go into the whirlpool

I get why it is the way it is but man did I feel cheated

Yeah I think the idea is it's supposed to teach you about the correlation between the two, but I spent half an hour in those two rooms looking for a fight, a chest, anything. I even ended up getting all the way to the ceiling just to see what was up there before finding out the answer.

The game's extremely good about putting little secrets in corners to reward thorough exploration, even if it's just a chest with 3 cooking pots in it or something. Every now and then there's just a dead-end with nothing inside where it feels like there should be a prize. But then I'll stumble into a hidden cave inside an already well-hidden cave with a bunch of respawning, useful items that I have to jot down the coordinates for. :shrug:

That same cave had 2 different hidden chests that I walked right past the first time! It's a land of contrasts.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Now that I got a new GPU and they slightly unfucked the performance issues, I'm giving Wo Long another go. I'm liking it quite a bit, but it's got an annoying habit of putting gigantic "helpful" tutorial hints during boss fights right in the center of the screen. And they don't seem to go away until you actually kill the boss, either. They don't completely block your vision, but it's still pretty distracting:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sweet, Bioshock 2 Remastered crashed while I was saving so now I've lost a couple hours progress, fun

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Opopanax posted:

Sweet, Bioshock 2 Remastered crashed while I was saving so now I've lost a couple hours progress, fun

Like a Lamb to the slaughter :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't know how to meme but

Nobody: I hope Shadow of the Tomb Raider has tons of puzzles in the fuckin water
Developers: Oh man oh man oh man you just wait