Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MarcusSA posted:

Well earth definitely exists since Welt is from there.

Welt and Void Archives slidersed their way into this universe from the Honkai one. Now some of what Himeko said about the Astral Express say it's dimension hopping instead of traveling through space but until that's clarified, I'm treating everything in Star Rail as just in the Star Rail Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not clear to me how widespread the Cancer of All Worlds is supposed to be. Maybe the idea is that whole swathes of the galaxy have been cut off from each other and haven't been in contact for hundreds or thousands of years?

Maybe Earth's known by a different name now. Maybe it's the Antimatter Legion's homeworld, and we'll be Planet-of-the-Apes-ing our way back there for the final chapter.

The Stellaron phenomenon has been going on for like 90,000 years and clean-up efforts are still progressing.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

All I got were some lousy 3* LCs, not even a 4*.

Same, but I have several of them max superimposed. My 4 star Woof! pales a bit compared to my 3 star LC that just gives a flat 40% to damage without any conditions.

GateOfD posted:

Arlan's use hp to do damage is just underwealming, and if you want that, just wait for blade for the real fun drain hp kit

True, but I'm not allowing myself to spend any money on this game and hoarding jade and tickets is less fun to me than spinning the roulette.

I've got 6 3 star LCs at max SI, and a handful of 4 stars at 2 or 3. I've also got 4 characters at E1 or above, not counting Trailblazer.

I know there are more optimal loadouts, but I'm having fun with the RNG.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

Welt and Void Archives slidersed their way into this universe from the Honkai one. Now some of what Himeko said about the Astral Express say it's dimension hopping instead of traveling through space but until that's clarified, I'm treating everything in Star Rail as just in the Star Rail Universe.
I definitely would not trust an English translation that frequently says "galaxies" when it means "star systems" to keep "space" and "dimensions" straight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I definitely would not trust an English translation that frequently says "galaxies" when it means "star systems" to keep "space" and "dimensions" straight.

Yeah, hence why I'm treating everything in Star Rail as one universe unless proven otherwise.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

From the various tidbits of lore I'm kinda amazed the universe still is intact after the various disasters that befell it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I was under the impression it's the same universe as HI3, just different worlds. Otherwise the Express is really jumping around in the Sea of Quanta, from one branch to the next.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I want to see Welt react to seeing so many people he knew from the other universe pop up everywhere.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

From the various tidbits of lore I'm kinda amazed the universe still is intact after the various disasters that befell it

My current impression is that Aeons are ludicrously strong, probably as strong as the Cocoon of Finality(which I think is the Aeon Terminus), so for every batshit crazy powerful god that's bent on destroying the universe, there's one that wants to protect it.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah I was under the impression it's the same universe as HI3, just different worlds. Otherwise the Express is really jumping around in the Sea of Quanta, from one branch to the next.

It's a different universe, both Welt in game and in the Alien Space comic say so. Only Earth was trapped in a samsara by Finality, so like there's no reason for there to be a universal Bronya, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Data Bank makes it clear that interastral travel is only possible because of the Imaginary Tree theory, which sounds quite a bit more like parallel universes than actual space travel. So I think that's pretty plausible.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

GateOfD posted:

is silverwolf gonna be a increase self by 24% over 120speed type of wearer or a increase other allies by 8% kind of gal

Silverwolf will probably want the effect hit ornament set, given that late game bosses have incredibly high effect res.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He died in HI3 and got better like, twice before. Maybe he can pull off a hat trick. Granted, he left his Herrscher core with Bronya so that might be significantly more difficult for him now.

Bronya gave his Herrsher core back actually. He has his Herschel powers again and will talk about them on the train both in his standard tree and with at least one of the guests (I think he mentioned it to Serval in my game?). He just kind of oddly has not used them on camera or in combat. It’s pretty strange considering what a big deal they are but I suppose they are holding it back so they can use it for a cool plot scene.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Bronya gave his Herrsher core back actually. He has his Herschel powers again and will talk about them on the train both in his standard tree and with at least one of the guests (I think he mentioned it to Serval in my game?). He just kind of oddly has not used them on camera or in combat. It’s pretty strange considering what a big deal they are but I suppose they are holding it back so they can use it for a cool plot scene.

I don't have him so I don't see it a lot, but in his ult when he uses the Star of Eden is it red or blue? The red ones are fakes by the HoRs power.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure there's references to alien races in some of the lore texts in game I stopped reading by the time I finished the space station. In addition to the Antimatter Legion arguably counting and the Sky People from HI3 probably being around SOMEWHERE.

Also I'm a chapter behind on HI3 but I just started the new event. First of all, god I hope Star Rail doesn't go the same direction as HI3 and to a lesser extent Genshin with events that are just minigames that aren't as good as the core game.

Second, I question the wisdom of dropping an event that seems to involve like half of the event-specific, can no longer play their story stuff, Captainverse cast. Then again, it's Haxxor Bunny heavy and Silver Wolf is basically the same character. . .

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm betting Silver Wolf is literally the same character since hopping universes is something she does.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

The Data Bank makes it clear that interastral travel is only possible because of the Imaginary Tree theory, which sounds quite a bit more like parallel universes than actual space travel. So I think that's pretty plausible.
Comparing it to the Japanese text, I think the bit where the English version talks about the void between "galaxies" (star systems) as if light can't traverse it at all is just badly translated, and it's just trying to say that the presence of Imaginary Energy is what limits the speed of light; 「うまく進めない」 is nowhere near as absolute a phrase as "cannot pass through it".

Of course, if the original Chinese is clear on this and it's the Japanese version that's wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Now I'm wondering why the game is called Honkai Star Rail, if the Honkai have absolutely nothing to do with anything in the game and it's a completely different universe from HI3. Because Genshin Impact I'm fairly certain is also part of the multiverse and that isn't named after the Honkai. Is it literally just because they're reusing character designs and names from HI3, plus Welt and not-Otto returning from HI3?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I watched some lore video and the honkey means something but I’ve already forgotten what she said it meant.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

There's an Aeon named Terminus whose power is the control of time on the path of Finality who mysteriously isn't active anymore. Cocolia basically turns into the Herrscher of Ice. I think the connection is there and will be revealed as things go on.

Genshins Honkai connections are way more tinfoil hat in comparison, given Honkai Impact chatacters are in Star Rail as is at the start of the game.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

I'm betting Silver Wolf is literally the same character since hopping universes is something she does.

I mean, it's either that, or there's two dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas, or two Bronyas from the Star Rail universe.

I'm hoping for "literally the same person" personally, but either way I'm happy to have basically a Haxxor Bunny whose optimal play isn't "weapon, charge attack, never take the field again because of how her QTE works."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Comparing it to the Japanese text, I think the bit where the English version talks about the void between "galaxies" (star systems) as if light can't traverse it at all is just badly translated, and it's just trying to say that the presence of Imaginary Energy is what limits the speed of light; 「うまく進めない」 is nowhere near as absolute a phrase as "cannot pass through it".

Of course, if the original Chinese is clear on this and it's the Japanese version that's wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

Tensai Club, hehe... Also I guess this clarifies that Imaginary energy refers specifically to imaginary numbers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Da Wei just grinning in front of the Bronya printing machine. Soon every character will be a Bronya.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if Silver Wolf plays MiHoYo games, given she's said to be a hardcore gamer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

Da Wei just grinning in front of the Bronya printing machine. Soon every character will be a Bronya.
Only the characters? My hair was already going grey; now when I look in the mirror, I swear it's curling into drills too...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Only the characters? My hair was already going grey; now when I look in the mirror, I swear it's curling into drills too...

I am pretty gay for grown up Seele... :thunk:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

Genshins Honkai connections are way more tinfoil hat in comparison, given Honkai Impact chatacters are in Star Rail as is at the start of the game.

from what I understand the Charlotte in genshin looks almost exactly like a Charlotte in Honkai though i'm like 99% sure there's no actual connection and they just recycled a (very good) design

or at least i hope they did because i like that genshin is its own thing

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wonder if Silver Wolf plays MiHoYo games, given she's said to be a hardcore gamer.
I hope not. We don't want a Re:creators situation on our hands, where she learns she's a fictional character and travels to the real world to settle the score with the people who made her hosed up world.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

UHD posted:

from what I understand the Charlotte in genshin looks almost exactly like a Charlotte in Honkai though i'm like 99% sure there's no actual connection and they just recycled a (very good) design

or at least i hope they did because i like that genshin is its own thing

Charlotte is just a stigma, not a character. But I have bad news about Raiden Ei, Yae Miko, Venti, the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles, Nahida, and Alhaitham.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

what's a stigma (in this context)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Stigma balls in ur mouth

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

stigmas are relics in 3rd

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

UHD posted:

what's a stigma (in this context)

Historical character, usually turned into a woman, who doesn't appear in the game itself. So for example there's a Dracula stigma, or an Oscar Wilde stigma but neither are playable characters.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Radical posted:

stigmas are relics in 3rd

Eimi posted:

Historical character, usually turned into a woman, who doesn't appear in the game itself. So for example there's a Dracula stigma, or an Oscar Wilde stigma but neither are playable characters.

thank you both!

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Theres been like 4 distinct Bronyas in the last year or so between Herscherr of Truth, Promtheus, "Bronya" and Silver Wolf

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I haven't played HI3, only browsed the lore wiki and a bit of osmosis from the forums, but if there is a connection between HI3 and Star rail, then doesn't that mean that void archive is the aeon Nanook? There isn't anything about hopping through dimensions that two people traveling through would end up at the same place or time. Nanook is responsible for creating and planting stellaron across Star rail and he created the antimatter legions, all which kinda sounds lot like what void archive did in Hi3. Nanook looks awfully lot like him too, just with darker skin as well.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Eimi posted:

I don't have him so I don't see it a lot, but in his ult when he uses the Star of Eden is it red or blue? The red ones are fakes by the HoRs power.

Huh, they are red. So I guess he is using his Hershcerr power there? I only just started Hi3 what do you mean by "fakes"?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
HoR's main power is replicating, Star of eden is a super powerful weapon so he's creating a "fake" version.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Huh, they are red. So I guess he is using his Hershcerr power there? I only just started Hi3 what do you mean by "fakes"?

Well fake/replicas made by the HoRs power they've always distinguished the real one as blue and any replicas as red.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

I haven't played HI3, only browsed the lore wiki and a bit of osmosis from the forums, but if there is a connection between HI3 and Star rail, then doesn't that mean that void archive is the aeon Nanook? There isn't anything about hopping through dimensions that two people traveling through would end up at the same place or time. Nanook is responsible for creating and planting stellaron across Star rail and he created the antimatter legions, all which kinda sounds lot like what void archive did in Hi3. Nanook looks awfully lot like him too, just with darker skin as well.

Not confirmed, but this is my personal :tinfoil: theory about whatever happened to that guy, yeah. Still, looking forward to Welt meeting Luocha.

Also to more of the main story in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the character archive is like "Sushang appears to be 16 or 17, but being from Xiangshou who knows????" which doesn't help. I need more accurate lore! I want to know exactly how old somebody like Jing Yuan is!