Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

pro tip: enable posting in your feedback threads

I was, uh, just making sure everyone had enough time to prepare their thoughts. Yeah.

(thanks and sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
gently caress, if Robert gets much richer he’ll need to be a subject of his own show.

Or maybe pay his guests?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Snuffman posted:

Insta-subbed. I can't stand the ads on iHeartRadio.

PICTURE MIAMI.

ugh.

So is there no way to give them money if you don't own apple products?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Remulak posted:

gently caress, if Robert gets much richer he’ll need to be a subject of his own show.

Or maybe pay his guests?

Knives budget just got a bit higher!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remulak posted:

Or maybe pay his guests?
Or he might finally have enough to buy that private island where (UNNAMED MEALKIT COMPANY) lets him hunt people for sport

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Robert still has that weird issue with patreon that he is worried he will be taking the very last dollar a poor leftist has, right

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe he is avoiding Patreon so he doesn't indirectly fund Pomplamoose

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Maybe he is avoiding Patreon so he doesn't indirectly fund Pomplamoose

God please free me from this fact that I essentially brought upon myself.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Was that clip they put in around 1:13:30 completely missing for y'all too? Apparently it was hilarious based on the laughter afterwards

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

blunt for century posted:

Was that clip they put in around 1:13:30 completely missing for y'all too? Apparently it was hilarious based on the laughter afterwards

Suspect it was this

https://youtu.be/V7yZUohJ8gg

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Remulak posted:

Or maybe pay his guests?

I could've sworn Evans said at some point that he does pay the guests. Was it in this thread?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can tell you one thing Robert has done with his wealth...

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1662234369581535232

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wanderer posted:

I could've sworn Evans said at some point that he does pay the guests. Was it in this thread?

It was on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/behindtheb...nt=share_button. It's a Cool Zone Media policy to pay all their guests an appearance fee.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:lol: I got an ad for a Ronald Reagan gold coin in today's episode

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah they have been getting a lot of those ads, and boy howdy they got snippy and lovely towards people trying to say “hey yall have ads that seem contrary to the political positions you tend to take, that doesn’t seem good”

Almost like iheart/clear channel is a hosed up corporation trying to appeal to all markets at once or something

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I love it when corporations are dumb.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Remulak posted:

I love it when corporations are dumb.

This has been my favorite part of an otherwise totally meandering episode 5 - pointing out how dumb the reporters and commissions are continually trying to gotcha pro wrestling with "isn't it fake? :smug:"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I finished the last episode of the McMahon series and it really feels like he ran out of time

They didn’t get into anything about the hush money and him leaving the WWE and returning, or the XFL, or Trump other than a couple of small mentions

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Yeah, from the way they were talking at the beginning it felt like we were in for a ride. But he just comes off as kind of a mid-tier bastard compared to their other subjects? I still have about an hour left in the final episode but overall I've been underwhelmed.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It's a fun series due to the wrestling lore digressions and the guests, but the first episode drawing a bastard comparison between McMahon and Kissinger is nuts.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Robert skipped over a ton of info to meander in wrestling lore. I haven't listened to the final episode yet, but it sounds like he never even touched on the Ring Boy scandal, among some of the others already mentioned.

e: just saw in another thread they did cover it. My bad. But my greater point still stands.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 2, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As someone who knew next to nothing about wrestling going in I appreciated that it meandered and covered a range of stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fishing with the fam posted:

It's a fun series due to the wrestling lore digressions and the guests, but the first episode drawing a bastard comparison between McMahon and Kissinger is nuts.
Who can forget when Vince bombed Laos?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Grand Fromage posted:

As someone who knew next to nothing about wrestling going in I appreciated that it meandered and covered a range of stuff.

Yeah, I'm not a wrestling person, and I really appreciated the context. I wish it hadn't gone out on a story I did know, and I'd have liked if it had gone into this century.

I like a 'fun' bastard getting the massive series treatment for once though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Considering all the hype, yeah, this was a letdown. It was also highly entertaining because of the guests and the types of people covered.

I imagine that most owners of major sports franchises are bastards on an equal or worse scale, correcting for the fact that not all sports inherently destroy the players' bodies like pro wrestling/American football do.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Zugzwang posted:

Considering all the hype, yeah, this was a letdown. It was also highly entertaining because of the guests and the types of people covered.

I imagine that most owners of major sports franchises are bastards on an equal or worse scale, correcting for the fact that not all sports inherently destroy the players' bodies like pro wrestling/American football do.

I think the difference between Vince and say, a Dan Snyder, is that for all of Snyder's awfulness, he hasn't warped American football in the same way Vince warped pro wrestling. Snyder can be divorced from football (in fact, he just has been!), but Vince and wrestling are forever linked, and you can't talk about one without the other.

There's no denying that Snyder is a gigantic bastard worthy of his own episodes, though

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I said this when i heard that Robert was doing a vince episode, and i feel justified in continuing to think that robert should have let a wrestling fan do the storytelling and he should have been reactions

Yes, that episode could have become bogged down in minutiae, but the episodes already did.

This was fun but it was like listening to a true crime podcast try to cover the chris benoit murders. You miss a lot of context if you don’t know that, for example, benoit would do a move every night where he falls off the top tope and lands on his head. Maaaaaybe that had to do with the shoddy state of his brain, or all the chair shots to the head. Vince took a shitton of chair shots, never learned to wrestle, landed on his head a lot, and perhaps ruined american politics/democracy thanks to the pro wrestlingization of the republican party.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m enjoying the hell out of this, but for me the most interesting thing about pro wrestling is that it’s just about the only live theater left. Even musicals are barely a draw and serious theater is an afterthought.

For most of history live entertainment was common and everywhere, now it’s limited to sports, a few musicians and comics, and wraslin’.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean it’s a national accomplishment that musicals are dying

I would prefer serious theater to that any day

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it’s a national accomplishment that musicals are dying

I would prefer serious theater to that any day

What is it like living a joyless and grey existence?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

rotinaj posted:

What is it like living a joyless and grey existence?
Cool and good, thanks

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cool and good, thanks

Maybe people could be allowed to enjoy things that you do not particularly like, if it isn’t going to affect you one way or the other, then?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Maybe people could be allowed to enjoy things that you do not particularly like, if it isn’t going to affect you one way or the other, then?
No musicals need to go

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Has there been a gag where two feuding wrestlers get mad and then went back stage to beat up a writers’ room?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
One of the bigger wrestling heads can tag in but I think Hulk Hogan in the WCW had a weird meta-plot arc where his creative control powers were ruining things in universe.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Listened to the last episode of the Vince series and just baffled, did he report on anything Vince has done in the last 15 years? I don't think the WWE's massive blood money propaganda deal with Saudi Arabia or him briefly being forced out of the company for paying tons of his sexual harassment victims hush money were ever even mentioned. I know there's so much to cover with Vince and you couldn't cover everything but those seem like pretty big things to omit.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I think the show would have benefitted from one of the guests not being a wrestling fan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fentry posted:

Listened to the last episode of the Vince series and just baffled, did he report on anything Vince has done in the last 15 years? I don't think the WWE's massive blood money propaganda deal with Saudi Arabia or him briefly being forced out of the company for paying tons of his sexual harassment victims hush money were ever even mentioned. I know there's so much to cover with Vince and you couldn't cover everything but those seem like pretty big things to omit.
No and I thought for sure that Robert would cover the hush money stuff

I feel like they could have done two more episodes at least

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have a feeling that much like L. Ron Hubbard, we may get more episodes down the road.

I mean hell, I knew Vince was a piece of poo poo for more recent things and I’m not a huge wrestling person, but I didn’t know there was so goddamn much. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shinji2015 posted:

I think the difference between Vince and say, a Dan Snyder, is that for all of Snyder's awfulness, he hasn't warped American football in the same way Vince warped pro wrestling. Snyder can be divorced from football (he just has been!), but Vince and wrestling are forever linked, and you can't talk about one without the other.

There's no denying that Snyder is a gigantic bastard worthy of his own episodes, though
Yeah, I think this is probably correct.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the episodes on NYC real estate developer, star of The Apprentice, and failed Reform Party presidential candidate, Donald J. Trump that end in 2007.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 3, 2023