Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jarmak posted:

There's mountains of evidence the court is making ideological decisions with super-majorities that include both sides of the ideological spectrum of the court? Do you have any actual arguments to make why the decision is wrong, the precedent is wrong, or even why the decision is bad public policy?

On certain things yes, absolutely there are super majorities on both sides of the spectrum that come together on things they agree with, like decisions which prioritize capital over labor. As to your other questions, I have a lot more to say but it will have to wait until I'm off work for more effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there an actual link to the study?

Because the article seems to be saying that they exclusively looked at presidential election polling data and didn't look any earlier than 2004. If that's actually the case, then this study isn't worth wiping my rear end with, because "Obama won millennials by a higher margin than Biden did" does not necessarily lead to the conclusion "therefore millennials have moved right politically".

If they have any data from non-presidential elections, or maybe some issue polling, or something like that, I'd love to see it. But the article only mentions presidential results. And if that's all they've got, then their conclusion is so massive a stretch that it's probably not worth taking seriously.

Yea... I am really skeptical about this study when we have data such as this and there are further sources cited including a substack -

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1609535038726496257?s=20

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jarmak posted:

There's mountains of evidence the court is making ideological decisions with super-majorities that include both sides of the ideological spectrum of the court? Do you have any actual arguments to make why the decision is wrong, the precedent is wrong, or even why the decision is bad public policy?
I can’t comment on the legal aspects, but I think it’s pretty clear why establishing a precedent that unions are responsible for losses incurred due to withdrawal of labor (even if under restricted scenarios) is not great in a humane social-policy sense.

Also, c’mon, you think the rich Nazi dude is giving all that stuff to Clarence Thomas because he’s just that nice of a guy? SCOTUS justices are human and subject to the same foibles.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 1, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Yea... I am really skeptical about this study when we have data such as this and there are further sources cited including a substack -

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1609535038726496257?s=20

That's a different study of British Millennials. There is no official Tory party or Labour party in the United States.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Did you even read the article? It has sources for both UK and US studies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Did you even read the article? It has sources for both UK and US studies.

Yes, but the guy in the FT article is just measuring the difference between Millennials and the general population. It's not specifically measuring the transition of Millennials as they age. Millennials can still be getting more conservative as they age AND simultaneously be less conservative than previous generations (which is also what the NYT article says).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Cops are the highest paid public employees in most cities.

Not LA though....because DWP lol

For funsies here's the LA city payroll

https://lacity-2.payroll.socrata.com/#!/year/2022/

It's been several years since I've looked at Houston's numbers, but last time I did something like 4 of the highest-paid public employees (in the top 10) were police. 2 of them weren't even high-ranking, they just got DWI duty, and effectively unlimited overtime between paperwork and court followup.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

It's almost as if the newer generations aren't getting those wealth milestones that transform your brain to a FYGM mentality, hmm

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hard to NIMBY if you don't have a BY

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there an actual link to the study?

Because the article seems to be saying that they exclusively looked at presidential election polling data and didn't look any earlier than 2004. If that's actually the case, then this study isn't worth wiping my rear end with, because "Obama won millennials by a higher margin than Biden did" does not necessarily lead to the conclusion "therefore millennials have moved right politically".

If they have any data from non-presidential elections, or maybe some issue polling, or something like that, I'd love to see it. But the article only mentions presidential results. And if that's all they've got, then their conclusion is so massive a stretch that it's probably not worth taking seriously.

yeah i am also skeptical here. if presidential elections are all they are relying on, seems that the answer might be more 'young people don't like the president who told them to eat poo poo' more so than them getting more conservative. and anecdotally (yeah yeah i know), the other millennials i know have gotten less conservative as they've gotten older, not more.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1664333235143188486

I wonder if these three idiots expect to win, and if the DSCC is going to offer them its full-throated support as I expect they will. I'm betting Manchin and Sinema are going to get BTFO, less sure about Tester.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah i am also skeptical here. if presidential elections are all they are relying on, seems that the answer might be more 'young people don't like the president who told them to eat poo poo' more so than them getting more conservative. and anecdotally (yeah yeah i know), the other millennials i know have gotten less conservative as they've gotten older, not more.

This is pretty much my interpretation of the article as well. I wonder if it's actually less "moving towards conservative" than "moving away from the democratic party"

Looking at it from the perspective of what was going on at the time the article tracks their data, from 2004 onward, I can call out a bunch of other motivating factors that could contribute to the trends the article is reporting.

In 2004 there was the Iraq war. People were still kinda riding on the "gently caress Yeah America" patriotism from the 2001 attacks. By 2009, millennials were sick of the war that showed no signs of stopping, while Obama started campaigning on "Change!"

Millenials were starting to get hit from the effects of the 2008 recession by this election, so they latched onto the guy promising to bring about change, since things weren't working. After 8 years of pretty much "Not Change," people were kinda sick of being lied to (not only the president's promises, but also the whole "go to college and make tons of money" as well, leaving them with practically a mortgage with no job). People were sick of the status quo, and along comes Hillary to run for the Dems. The physical embodiment of the out-of-touch ruling elite who make false promises and who bail out corporations when they crash the economy. So Trump won that election because people who were sick of how things were going voted for the anti-establishment businessman who vowed to shake up congress.

By the time Biden ran, people were more voting against Trump than for Biden since he literally campaigned on "Nothing will fundamentally change."

Honestly, I think millennials are just sick of the lies and false promises from politicians, and it's causing those who would be voting for dems to not even bother, while right-leaning millennials were motivated by fear of "the others" so they were more likely to come out and vote.

You want millennials to show trends of becoming more left as they get older? Bring out some politicians that represent us and what we want, instead of ancient, "how do you do fellow students" types of people who talk down to us like we're meant to be busy little bees and keep quiet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ex post facho posted:

I wonder if these three idiots expect to win, and if the DSCC is going to offer them its full-throated support as I expect they will. I'm betting Manchin and Sinema are going to get BTFO, less sure about Tester.

has Biden even vetoed anything yet?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Jaxyon posted:

a few random things, yes

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

4 things so far, apparently.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/vetoes/BidenJR.htm

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Re scientology I don't think I ever posted about it because I don't want them showing up and murdering us but I have first hand experience how hosed up they make people.
I don't think people that are partners of someone that is offspring of Mormons normally have to be afraid for their life. But my spouse parents are terrifying creepy people in a way that I never felt unsafe around literal mobsters, it will forever fascinate me how a literal terrorist group got categorized as a religion

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

The only major vetoes are a repeal of a water pollution regulation and a bill overriding D.C.'s new crime law (which came after he allowed congress to pass a law overruling a different crime bill in D.C.)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ex post facho posted:

Making life economically a nightmare for millions isn't going to get a lot of votes but I could be wrong. What are they even thinking

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

Sinema's going to be an independent running against an actual Democrat so I don't see why they're going to support her at all. It's not like Bernie where they supported him since the independent label was a mutually understood personal branding thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm pretty surprised by the lack of any consideration in that NYT article to the possibility that different people within an age cohort are voting in the two elections they focused on. Is it an 18% shift in the political opinions of specific voters, or partially/entirely a shift in who is voting and who is sitting it out.

ex post facho posted:

I'm not able to find an explanation for how this passed with a simple majority. Is anyone more familiar with the process who could explain that?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Celexi posted:

Re scientology I don't think I ever posted about it because I don't want them showing up and murdering us but I have first hand experience how hosed up they make people.

their 'show up whenever spoken about even slightly and attempt to criminally harass people into silence' years are mostly behind them. they were actually such zealous harassers and suppressors that they were instrumental in helping establish protections for the earlier internet against assault

and were also vital in helping wikipedia learn you couldn't just let everybody contribute

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This week in "Obama gave everyone healthcare" as the focus-group-tested trope goes: This Nonprofit Health System Cuts Off Patients With Medical Debt

Cliffs:

* "non-profit" does a lot of heavy lifting

* Allina has talking points & procedures for 86ing patients with prior medical debt

* Their cutoff for providing patients services is less than the standard deductible on bronze ACA plans (sucks to be a poor)

* Around one out of every three Americans has medical debt

* There are no federal laws spelling out how much unpaid care non-profit hospitals should provide

* Electronic medical systems are used to deny patients care as well as access to medical records they may need for education or work

* Allina lies and/or obscures its policy to not treat patients who owe money to them

* Going on a payment plan for medical debt isn't good enough; patients can't book appointments until the balance is fully paid off

quote:

Many hospitals in the United States use aggressive tactics to collect medical debt. They flood local courts with collections lawsuits. They garnish patients’ wages. They seize their tax refunds.

But a wealthy nonprofit health system in the Midwest is among those taking things a step further: withholding care from patients who have unpaid medical bills.

Allina Health System, which runs more than 100 hospitals and clinics in Minnesota and Wisconsin and brings in $4 billion a year in revenue, sometimes rejects patients who are deep in debt, according to internal documents and interviews with doctors, nurses and patients.

Although Allina’s hospitals will treat anyone in emergency rooms, other services can be cut off for indebted patients, including children and those with chronic illnesses like diabetes and depression. Patients aren’t allowed back until they pay off their debt entirely.

Nonprofit hospitals like Allina get enormous tax breaks in exchange for providing care for the poorest people in their communities. But a New York Times investigation last year found that over the past several decades, nonprofits have fallen short of their charitable missions, with few consequences.

Allina has an explicit policy for cutting off patients who owe money for services they received at the health system’s 90 clinics. A 12-page document reviewed by The Times instructs Allina’s staff on how to cancel appointments for patients with at least $4,500 of unpaid debt. The policy walks through how to lock their electronic health records so that staffers cannot schedule future appointments.

“These are the poorest patients who have the most severe medical problems,” said Matt Hoffman, an Allina primary care doctor in Vadnais Heights, Minn. “These are the patients that need our care the most.”

Allina Health said it has a robust financial assistance program that in an average year helps over 12,000 of its 1.9 million patients with medical bills. The hospital system cuts off patients only if they have racked up at least $1,500 of unpaid debt three separate times. It contacts them by phone and with repeated letters that include information about applying for financial help, said Conny Bergerson, a hospital spokeswoman.

“Allina Health’s goal is, and will always be, to have zero patients go without services for financial reasons,” Ms. Bergerson said. She said that cutting off services was “rare” but declined to provide information on how often it happens.
Allina suspended its policy of cutting off patients in March 2020, at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, before reinstating it in April 2021.

An estimated 100 million Americans have medical debts. Their bills make up about half of all outstanding debt in the country.

About 20 percent of hospitals nationwide have debt-collection policies that allow them to cancel care, according to an investigation last year by KFF Health News.
Many of those are nonprofits. The government does not track how often hospitals withhold care.

Under federal law, hospitals are required to treat everyone who comes to the emergency room, regardless of their ability to pay. But the law — called the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act — is silent on how health systems should treat patients who need other kinds of lifesaving care, like those with aggressive cancers or diabetes.

In 2020, thanks to its nonprofit status, Allina avoided roughly $266 million in state, local and federal taxes, according to the Lown Institute, a think tank that studies health care.

In exchange, the Internal Revenue Service requires Allina and thousands of other nonprofit hospital systems to benefit their local communities, including by providing free or reduced-cost care to patients with low incomes.

But the federal rules do not dictate how poor a patient needs to be to qualify for free care. In 2020, Allina spent less than half of 1 percent of its expenses on charity care, well below the nationwide average of about 2 percent for nonprofit hospitals, according to an analysis of hospital financial filings by Ge Bai, a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Allina is one of Minnesota’s largest health systems, having largely grown through acquisitions. Since 2013, its annual profits have ranged from $30 million to $380 million. Last year was the first in the past decade when it lost money, largely owing to investment losses.

The financial success has paid dividends. Allina’s president earned $3.5 million in 2021, the most recent year for which data is available. The health system recently built a $12 million conference center.

Yet Allina sometimes plays hardball with patients. Doctors have become accustomed to seeing messages in the electronic medical record notifying them that a patient “will no longer be eligible to receive care” because of “unpaid medical balances.”

Dr. Rita Raverty, a primary care doctor who works at an Allina clinic, said the notifications were alarming because they meant she could not provide continuous care for some of her patients facing a number of health risks.

“Nobody wins when patients can’t get preventive care,” Dr. Raverty said. “It creates worse disease outcomes when you’re not catching things early.”

Doctors and patients described being unable to complete medical forms that children needed to enroll in day care or show proof of vaccination for school.
Serena Gragert, who worked as a scheduler at an Allina clinic in Minneapolis until 2021, said the computer system simply wouldn’t let her book future appointments for some patients with outstanding balances.

Ms. Gragert and other Allina employees said some of the patients who were kicked out had incomes low enough to qualify for Medicaid, the federal-state insurance program for poor people. That also means those patients would be eligible for free care under Allina’s own financial assistance policy — something many patients are unaware exists when they seek treatment.

Ms. Bergerson, the Allina spokeswoman, did not dispute that but said the health system goes “to tremendous lengths to assist patients with their financial obligations for medical care.”

Allina employees said the policy has forced them to ration care.

Beth Gunhus, a pediatric nurse practitioner, recalled a case in which a mother brought in her three children. One had scabies, an intensely itchy skin condition caused by mites burrowing into the body. She wanted to follow best practices and treat the entire family, who were sharing one bed in a single room they rented, to ensure it didn’t spread further. But she could write a prescription for only two of the children. The third’s account was locked because of unpaid bills.

“There are so many better ways of saving money than what we’re doing,” Ms. Gunhus said.

Allina says the policy applies only to debts related to care provided by its clinics, not its hospitals. But patients said in interviews that they got cut off after falling into debt for services they received at Allina’s hospitals.

Because Allina is the dominant health system in some rural parts of Minnesota, getting kicked out can leave patients with few options.

Jennifer Blaido lives in Isanti, a small town outside Minneapolis, and Allina owns the only hospital there. Ms. Blaido, a mechanic, said she racked up nearly $200,000 in bills from a two-week stay at Allina’s Mercy Hospital in 2009 for complications from pneumonia, along with several visits to the emergency department for asthma flare-ups. Ms. Blaido, a mother of four, said most of the hospital stay was not covered by her health insurance and she was unable to scrounge together enough money to make a dent in the debt.

Last year, Ms. Blaido had a cancer scare and said she couldn’t get an appointment with a doctor at Mercy Hospital. She had to drive more than an hour to get examined at a health system unconnected to Allina.

Allina does not make this policy explicit to patients. It is not mentioned in the health system’s list of “frequently asked questions” about billing practices. In at least one case, Allina has denied that it even existed.

In a lawsuit filed last year in state court in Minnesota, Allina sued a couple, Jordan and JoLynda Anderson, for nearly $10,000 in unpaid medical bills.
In court filings, the couple described how Allina canceled Ms. Anderson’s appointments and told her that she could not book new ones until she had set up three separate payment plans — one with the health system and two with its debt collectors.

Even after setting up those payment plans, which totaled $580 a month, the canceled appointments were never restored. Allina allows patients to come back only after they have paid the entire debt.

Ms. Anderson recalls being devastated about losing her visit to an endocrinologist that specialized in a chronic condition she has. She had already been waiting four months for the appointment, and was unable to get a new one.

“It felt like I was being punished, and the punishment was you get to stay ill,” she said.

Ms. Bergerson declined to comment on these cases, citing patient privacy.

[b]When the Andersons asked in court for a copy of Allina’s policy of barring patients with unpaid bills, the hospital’s lawyers responded: “Allina does not have a written policy regarding the canceling of services or termination of scheduled and/or physician referral services or appointments for unpaid debts.”

In fact, Allina’s policy, which was created in 2006, instructs employees on how to do exactly that. Among other things, it tells staff to “cancel any future appointments the patient has scheduled at any clinic.”

It does provide a few ways for patients to continue being seen despite their unpaid bills. One is by getting approved for a loan through the hospital. Another is by filing for bankruptcy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Baronash posted:

I'm pretty surprised by the lack of any consideration in that NYT article to the possibility that different people within an age cohort are voting in the two elections they focused on. Is it an 18% shift in the political opinions of specific voters, or partially/entirely a shift in who is voting and who is sitting it out.

Yeah I've seen people claim that 18 year old conservatives don't vote and that explains part of the age effect. I don't think it would actually change the article's conclusion but it would be interesting if some data could get at that.

Baronash posted:

I'm not able to find an explanation for how this passed with a simple majority. Is anyone more familiar with the process who could explain that?

I guess there's no reason to do a filibuster if Biden is going to veto it?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

also re traffic chat

I can only speak for Washington State here, but the traffic data is actually pretty weird. In terms of # of accidents, roads are actually safer than ever; accidents are down by a lot across the board, even ignoring 2020-2021 for covid reasons. That includes pedestrians/bikes accidents, drunk driving, distracted driving, everything. But the absolute number of fatalities is still notably up!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Baronash posted:

Bad things only need a simple majority. It's just good things that need 60 votes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know this for sure but the most likely explanation is that it was a Congressional Review Act resolution and not a normal bill, which cannot be filibustered

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronash posted:

As haveblue said, it was a resolution using the Congressional Review Act, a 1996 law that created a special filibuster-proof fast-track process for Congress to overturn any agency regulation by simple majority within a certain time period.

If you've never heard of it before, it's because even though the law was passed in 1996, it had only been successfully used to remove a rule once prior to the Trump administration. This is because CRA resolutions are actually extremely unlikely to work. Sure, they bypass a filibuster, but the president can still veto them and is typically very likely to do so. Overriding a veto takes even more votes than ending a filibuster does, so CRA resolutions end up being mostly for show.

The only real use that's been found for the CRA process is for a new president with a friendly Congress to overturn rules passed in the last few months of the previous president's administration. When Trump took office, the GOP used it to kill a handful of Obama administration regulations from the second half of 2016, and when Biden took office, the Dems used it to kill a few Trump administration regulations from the second half of 2020.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Is it necessary to get 60 votes for things if nobody's planning to filibuster? I know that we normally expect a 60 vote on anything of substance, but is it automatic that the higher threshold will always just be in place as a baseline?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ershalim posted:

Is it necessary to get 60 votes for things if nobody's planning to filibuster? I know that we normally expect a 60 vote on anything of substance, but is it automatic that the higher threshold will always just be in place as a baseline?
You need 60 votes to end debate on a bill, then if you get through that it's a simple majority

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

logger posted:

My mom is a retired nurse and did hospice care, part of what she did for her patients end of life care was administer Fentanyl patches to make her patients last days go by peacefully. It's foolish to even have cannabis scheduled as it is, but to say there is no medical need for Fentanyl will lead to a lot of people dying in agony.

Living in agony too, fentanyl's used in burn centers for wound care on patients with full-thickness burns so they can tolerate debridement. The other primary alternative would be general anesthesia, which has a high chance to kill people whose bodies are already that badly damaged.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sandbag, he tripped over that.

So so far, Air Force 2, Presidents 0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

You need 60 votes to end debate on a bill, then if you get through that it's a simple majority

Yea, a filibuster is refusal to end debate, which only takes one Senator, and the 60 votes are to forcibly end debate over the objections of the other 40. Once debate is ended, the bill goes for a simple majority up-or-down vote. It’s possible to not have anyone object to a motion to end debate, and it must happen sometimes for boring uncontroversial bills that don’t make the news

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mellow Seas posted:

This cannot fully explain an increase in traffic deaths that began in 2015.

I also think we’re all kind of desensitized to death in general from where we were four years ago so “you might die or kill someone” isn’t as compelling of an argument for safe driving to a lot of people as it used to be.

I hardly ever see any mention of ubiquitous cell phone usage and the distraction of the 18" TV screen in everyone's car. I rented a car not too long ago with a HUGE loving console display and found it incredibly distracting. Neither of those things explains the reckless speeding issue but I'd say does contribute to rear end collisions and people drifting into (bike) lanes.

You also have the thing where people loving around with their phones are typically driving 10-15 miles under the speed limit and sending everyone behind them into a rage. There also seems to be a TON more 18 wheelers (and larger cars in general) on the road that create their own unique problems, but that could be my imagination.

Honestly, I'd be satisfied if folks would learn to use their turn signals and properly use on ramps to build up a proper merging speed :corsair:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really, really bad optics with Biden falling, but paradoxically, it kind of highlights how healthy he is (physically, anyway). For an 81 year old to take a digger, get up and dust himself off? That's actually pretty impressive. Most people that age don't fall, they "have falls." Look at McConnell, who's the same age as Biden. That hosed him up for weeks.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I feel like only a few years ago my friends who always had weed on them were super cautious when driving, scared to death of being pulled over. I'm curious if that's still the case these days even here where its still illegal but I think a small ticket at most.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Living in agony too, fentanyl's used in burn centers for wound care on patients with full-thickness burns so they can tolerate debridement. The other primary alternative would be general anesthesia, which has a high chance to kill people whose bodies are already that badly damaged.

Just to be clear the reporting is wrong, fentanyl is not affected by this lovely law, only derivatives that weren't already scheduled.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

quote:

For an 81 year old to take a digger, get up and dust himself off? That's actually pretty impressive. Most people that age don't fall, they "have falls."

Just as a PSA, a lot of elderly people who fall and then don't get back up relatively quickly do so because of osteoporosis; they don't fall and then break something -- something breaks and that causes them to fall. One of the biggest things to look out for when caring for elders is that the effects of a fall (that aren't caused by a fracture) often don't show up for days or even weeks. It's probably not a big issue for Biden because he's got the best healthcare this country can offer, but if you have an elderly loved one who falls but seems fine and gets right back up, you should probably still take them to be checked out by a medical professional.

quote:

Look at McConnell, who's the same age as Biden. That hosed him up for weeks.

Not nearly enough. :negative:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm p. sure that bone scans, like many other tests & bloodwork, are covered under annual Medicare exams with no out-of-pocket costs if Dr. Epic says they're indicated (and age is an indicator).

(That's with a traditional Medicare gap plan; not sure whether "Medicare" "Advantage" plans cover them too.)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 2, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dexa scans are every three years unless you’re high risk or already have an osteopenia/osteoporosis, then they’re annual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mellow Seas posted:

Really, really bad optics with Biden falling, but paradoxically, it kind of highlights how healthy he is (physically, anyway). For an 81 year old to take a digger, get up and dust himself off? That's actually pretty impressive. Most people that age don't fall, they "have falls." Look at McConnell, who's the same age as Biden. That hosed him up for weeks.

Kamala Harris mutters as she re-butters the white house steps