Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did it before even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Agents of W.H.A.T.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know, but it was still canon at the time.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shield stands for something? :wtc:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Shield stands for something? :wtc:

Originally Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage and Law-Enforcement Division, changed in the 91 into Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate, while in the MCU the meaning is Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Originally Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage and Law-Enforcement Division, changed in the 91 into Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate, while in the MCU the meaning is Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division

S.H.I.,E. and L.D.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Because kevin feige and Disney at large are not exactly subtle about their intentions of making the MCU the de facto “real” marvel universe superseding the actual comics, and one of the multiverse MCU movies (either spidey 3 or strange 2) explicitly called the MCU earth 616 as a part of this.

howe_sam posted:

I don't think Feige's trying to usurp anything, it just rolls off the tongue better than 1999999, and has been in Easter Eggs all over the dang place in the films.

I mean, the MCU already supersedes the comics in every metric Disney cares about. It seems like the better solution would be to come up with something pithier than Earth-1999999. One of the good things about 616 is it doesn't sound special. Just pick another number with a good mouthfeel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LividLiquid posted:

I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did it before even that.

I dont think so, Shield and Thor 2 came out within weeks of each other. They were still doing tie in episodes. I think the Thor 2 episode was even the source of the infamous goon argument about Ward and May 'were just talking' in their hotel room.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The pilot of Agents mentioned 616. Just as an easter egg. It's the number of The Bus.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Didn't the plot for Shield only kick in after Winter Soldier? It was deep into the season too, I had dropped it by then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Azubah posted:

Didn't the plot for Shield only kick in after Winter Soldier? It was deep into the season too, I had dropped it by then.

It became more serialised with the thirteenth episode (which is the first good one IMO). The part you're thinking of is the start of the season's third act, around three episodes later. There was plot before either though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AoS went to some weird places the movies didn't even came close to at the time. Inhumans, evil AI, virtual simulation, ancient Hydra god, Ghost Rider, Earth exploding, time travel and then just disassociating from the MCU completely in a season that's half terrorist mystery on Earth and half wacky space adventure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The MSJ posted:

AoS went to some weird places the movies didn't even came close to at the time. Inhumans, evil AI, virtual simulation, ancient Hydra god, Ghost Rider, Earth exploding, time travel and then just disassociating from the MCU completely in a season that's half terrorist mystery on Earth and half wacky space adventure.

It was always a mild shock we got the Darkhold AKA the Book of Sin in AoS.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Azubah posted:

Mostly, when they met with Marvel to talk story they said they wanted to do the Secret Warrios storyline by Hickman. Marvel then told them the Russo Brothers were doing their angle of it for Winter Soldier and they'd have to spin their wheels a bit until the episode after the movie's premiere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/mcu_direct/status/1653461824631627777

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Third trailer for AtSV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etv-L2JKCWk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God I can’t wait.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I don't care if 90% of the story's been shown off in these trailers, hype is off the charts!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pausing the movie every 45 seconds to do the Leo pointing meme

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

pointlessone posted:

I don't care if 90% of the story's been shown off in these trailers, hype is off the charts!

Just watched it. The trailers were smartly misleading at times.

Shitload of references that got gasps and tiny things no one noticed. The biggest reaction was for a non-reference though, you'll know it when you see it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Any reviews for Spiderverse?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sitting in the cinema now! It’s about to start! :toot:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gatts posted:

Here’s a non-spoiler review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ-k4ZNfVmo

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Movie is incredible. Best looking animated film of all time. Will be seeing it again ASAP

LFGGGG!!!!!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Movie is incredible. Best looking animated film of all time. Will be seeing it again ASAP

LFGGGG!!!!!

I'm very nearly this hyped but not quite this hyped. I'm not planning to see it again (I rarely see any movies repeatedly), but it might very well be the best looking animated film. It's definitely the best looking film made with modern animation/CG that I can think of, though it's kind of beating itself there since that's how I felt about into the spider-verse.

The extra post-credits fun for me was that comic book guy from the Simpsons was there and announced to you know, people in general out of nowhere that he was disappointed that they make it very obvious that another sequel is being planned because "what if the movie bombs and they don't make it." And someone else on the opposite aisle of this VERY WIDE theater responded "well that's what they did with Infinity War" and comic book guy responded "Well yeah but that was Infinity War."

So as the last person leaving the theater and after comic book guy left I ran a bit on the ushers and get a few laughs by being sarcastically worried about how this sequel to an Oscar-winning animated movie that made lots of money wouldn't get a sequel of its own.

I'm also pretty sure that as long as they keep making them with the same people involved, these spider-verse movies will keep winning the Best Animated Film Oscars for the year they're eligible. There happened to be a preview for an animated movie and I thought "hey that looks alright but not really for me" but after seeing this movie the preview movie absolutely does not measure up to the standard set here. I feel like you know a movie's good when you come out of it not only liking the movie, but liking other similar movies less simply because you know how great they can be and you're sad that these other movies can't be that good.

kiminewt posted:

Just watched it. The trailers were smartly misleading at times.

Shitload of references that got gasps and tiny things no one noticed. The biggest reaction was for a non-reference though, you'll know it when you see it.

I popped hardest by far (had to cover my mouth to keep my noise from disrupting the movie for everyone) for the bagel tie-in. I was a bit ahead of the reveals of most of the other story beats (though not as far ahead as I probably should have been), so while it was very fun to see them play out and didn't hurt my enjoyment of the movie any, I didn't really have any "oh holy poo poo this is mindblowing and comes out of nowhere" moments. I can see things playing out that way for lots of people though.

I'm looking forward to having both this and the sequel to watch at home to look for all the little details, especially with the help of the internet pointing them out. I also have a pretty clear idea in my head for how a major thing set up will play out in the sequel, and I'm curious to see if it goes how I think it'll go.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 1, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gatts posted:

Here's my short review; I thought Into the Spider-Verse was both the best superhero and close to the best animated movie ever made, and the first ten minutes of Across the Spider-Verse, alone, surpasses it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yup!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have lots of thoughts.

Non-spoilers
It’s very long, occasionally it drags (the opening 20 mins is particularly egregious), and it’s probably the most stunning thing I’ve ever seen on screen.

Spoilers
God that opening with Gwen is way too long, and just cements how much I don’t care about her character at all. The movie really only starts when Miles finally turns up.

Lots of amazing cameos, that one Prowler in the spiderclub made me yell.

Hobie and Pavitr were both great additions, and I’m glad they’ll be sticking around for Beyond.

My other half is going nuts over that alt!Miles ending, as he wrote a fic with that exact concept back in 2019 and is alternating between thinking they ripped him off somehow and saying he predicted the ending of this movie 4 years ago.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The_Doctor posted:

I have lots of thoughts.

Non-spoilers
It’s very long, occasionally it drags (the opening 20 mins is particularly egregious), and it’s probably the most stunning thing I’ve ever seen on screen.

Spoilers
God that opening with Gwen is way too long, and just cements how much I don’t care about her character at all. The movie really only starts when Miles finally turns up.

Lots of amazing cameos, that one Prowler in the spiderclub made me yell.

Hobie and Pavitr were both great additions, and I’m glad they’ll be sticking around for Beyond.

My other half is going nuts over that alt!Miles ending, as he wrote a fic with that exact concept back in 2019 and is alternating between thinking they ripped him off somehow and saying he predicted the ending of this movie 4 years ago.

Gotta disagree I thought the first 20 minutes were incredible character work

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Just finished watching. Film was full of very strong characters and very strong themes that delivers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, I actually like seeing how Gwen's life was affected by the first movie and the visuals with Da Vinci universe Vulture is gorgeous.

The entire movie is so visually amazing, even the different styles coexisting just look great. Reminds me of the Gumball on Cartoon Network. There's just a very indie animation feel to it but with a franchise budget. Even the live-action elements don't look too out of place.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The opening sequence is loving incredible and needed since Gwen is given a lot more time and agency this film. This is hers and Miles' film and she's not just a supporting character like in the first movie.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I loved getting to know more about Gwen this time around, she really became more fully realized

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Was a bit nervous about this being on the long side while also just a part 1, but it flew by. The last five or ten minutes or so you can feel the gears grinding a little setting up the sequel, but I was still into it. And it's absolutely stunning. Didn't see the first one on the big screen; glad I did for this. But do be ready that it ends on a cliffhanger; even Infinity War tells a more complete story than this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is all sounding incredibly encouraging to me, and I can’t wait to see it :spidey:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Yeah, it’s amazing. There’s a chase scene around the two-thirds mark that felt a little long, but that’s my only slight gripe. The extra attention paid to Gwen really is important; the film focuses in on how being Spider-X has tough, tragic moments, and her story is a good example of that.
The animation is breathtaking, though it becomes hard to make sense of when there’s a hundred Spider-Xs, all with their distinct graphic style, on screen at the same time.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

One of the best animated films ever? God what a spectacular achievement.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are some structural issues, mostly because this is very loving heavily half a story Vampire Spiderman's whole deal is clearly being elided for Part 2 in a way that I think slightly hurts the film, and the entire fifth act at the end is very loving sweaty but I really really liked it.

My only other (very minor) complaint is that blue hologram spidergirl's whole deal is very clearly confined to a cut scene or two. Going from being one of the most trusted people in a giant organisation to a traitor in two scenes didn't work for me.

Things I loved:

* Spot He's a great villain, silly and gross before being much more effective, and the (2 dimensional?) flashforwards with his character were disturbing in a way I wasn't expecting. Daniel Pemberton did some great work on the soundtrack here, and with fewer lifts from his Dark Crystal score.
* All of the new Spidermens. I really like that most of the supporting cast from the last film aren't in this, and the film is instead focusing on breadth rather than trying to dig deeper into what are, ultimately, very silly, and deliberately shallow concepts. I thought the way they used the cameos partway through the film were probably the best way to do it,
* The entire fourth-act chase sequence through Neuva New York is so so good. Just really well paced in terms of changing the tone, and genuinely threatening.
* This film is doing some cool things with lighting which I really liked. The rooftop party with the fading dusk was so loving good. Lauren Velez is really good in this scene too.
* Pretty sure the "shoot" scene is a reference to this scene from The Wire.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gumby posted:

The extra attention paid to Gwen really is important; the film focuses in on how being Spider-X has tough, tragic moments, and her story is a good example of that.

Her falling out with her father also gets a conclusion, so it helps that that's an important part of the story of this movie, considering how much Miles's story is unresolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i think the character conflicts were done really well
really felt the conflicts with Gwen, and also with B. Parker with how he's the older one so he should understand, but he knows he really should be helping Miles.

Loved that Spider-punk was just not with it the whole way, and loved that Spider-man India is part of the group at the end to help given how Miles helped save his important people.

I wish the cut off was a bit more solid like at least conclude some stuff, but everything was just cut in the middle of it all