Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

This is what happens when we outsource economic decisions to a central bank though. We are seeing results of the sins of previous Liberal and Labor governments at various levels.

Nothing will happen, I'm afraid due to the way these firms are constructed.

n a t i o n a l i s e d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So Australias richest man is best buddies with a non convicted war criminal.

Good to know.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/31/us-warned-it-could-suspend-ties-with-australian-special-forces-over-war-allegations

ORCUS! ORCUS! OI! OI! OI!

Best Bit (Now retracted)

quote:

During the hearing, Campbell initially said he had “no memory of the minister of the day being advised” at the time of the US embassy letter, but he later corrected the record.

Apparently war crimes are bad. :shrug:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They were just being larrikins! Who hasn't committed a war crime while drunk???

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WhatI find funniest about the Roberts-Smith stuff is that if he had left it alone, he wouldnt be in as much poo poo.

But because he is such an arsehole, (as well as a war criminal), he had people lining up to give evidence againt him. In s defamation case he hinself brought.

And because of that case, more people know of his war crimes and general arseholery than would of before.

Relatedly, how did that channel 7 SAS show end up going? Coz that was the main reason Stokes bankrolled the court case. (Cant have an aussie convicted of war crimes when we are running an 'are troops' style TV show.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When you commit so many war crimes even the Yanks are like "hey tone it down a little"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When you commit so many war crimes even the Yanks are like "hey tone it down a little"

If I were the yanks I wouldn't want a military partnership with anyone who wrote reports on war crimes either, let alone released them.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

AUKUS-ward

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Who amongst us can't say they have a hard drive full of compromat on their work buddies, in a lunch box in your garden? Everybody's doing it!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Nick McKenzie and Chris Masters deserve all praise for their brave and professional journalism that exposed the SAS and Roberts war crimes.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

quote:

Besanko ruled the newspapers however had failed to prove their allegation that Roberts-Smith committed an act of domestic violence in 2018 against a woman with whom he was having an affair. Nevertheless the newspapers succeeded on a contextual truth defence and their publication of the allegation did not defame him
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jun/01/ben-roberts-smith-loses-defamation-case-with-judge-saying-newspapers-established-truth-of-some-murders

Oh god.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hahahahhaha eat poo poo

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

If I were the yanks I wouldn't want a military partnership with anyone who wrote reports on war crimes either, let alone released them.

haha, well said.

Evidently though, US marine units in Afghanistan hated working with the Aussie SAS and tried to avoid it due to the SAS war-criming they wanted no part of. The loving crayon eaters of the US defense forces saying "nah mate" on joining in on some let-your-hair-down fun is a big clue that you are out of control.

freebooter posted:

I presume you're talking about the state border closure here? In terms of day to day life WA was more free and open than pretty much anywhere in the world. (Except certain American red states I guess, but also without being swamped in COVID.)

Even during lockdown in WA, mine workers were still able to go to work. Outside the 2020 intense season, if you worked in WA mines - you could come and go, if you worked on a project outside WA - you could not come and go to WA. Basically, WA enacted policies where everything that didn't impact the finances of the WA economy/government collections were more likely to be impacted (not that far off policies in places where the economy relied upon large numbers of people interacting). The world is seeing it now in cost-of-living increases, all that time spent away from factories, food processing and farms has driven up inflation (along with the RU-UKR war which may be even more impactful) but WA is in a position to afford it better than other states.

Also, I was in West Africa and by about August 2020, most lockdown things were wound up with the biggest things remaining was a lot of public education (trucks with billboards and loudspeakers driving around with WHO covid messaging, mandated school kid teaching of hygiene, etc), insistence on temp checks, masks and hand washing going into malls (masks and hand washing still happening) and nose swabs & negative PCR test for catching a plane. Cote D'Ivoire covid numbers were not far off Australia with much less impact on a far more fragile local economy.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

BrigadierSensible posted:

WhatI find funniest about the Roberts-Smith stuff is that if he had left it alone, he wouldnt be in as much poo poo.

But because he is such an arsehole, (as well as a war criminal), he had people lining up to give evidence againt him. In s defamation case he hinself brought.

And because of that case, more people know of his war crimes and general arseholery than would of before.

Relatedly, how did that channel 7 SAS show end up going? Coz that was the main reason Stokes bankrolled the court case. (Cant have an aussie convicted of war crimes when we are running an 'are troops' style TV show.

it was more than that, stokes is a huge support the troops guy in general and roberts-smith had been an executive at seven for years

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hooman posted:

yeah let's be clear they're mainly worried about the fact that there is evidence of war crimes than the actual commission of them

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well there's that, and they actually have a law preventing them from working with foreign militaries who do war crimes*

*Where the war crimes are heinous enough that even special forces troops are willing to go on record about it.

From what I gather from commentary from GIP and quotes or comments in the media by current and former operators from both countries, this poo poo was beyond the pale even by Navy Seal standards.

Y'know, the guys who made a game out of shooting defeated enemy combatants in the head from a certain angle such as to disfigure the corpse, colourfully referred to as "Canoeing". You can figure the rest out yourself.

And the same poo poo happened there, btw - other seal teams and individuals from other units blew the whistle real fuckin hard as soon as the first person leaked it, because the difference between a soldier and a mass murdering psychopath is subtle, but distinct.

TL;DR next level war crimes make garden variety war criminals uncomfortable.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hahahahhaha eat poo poo

Story currently has top billing on the BBC News website. Meanwhile on Seven it's six stories down under the headline 'Ben Roberts-Smith loses defamation action against trio of newspapers'

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

Yesterday a judge ordered Giggle to pay Tickle's legal costs for an earlier hearing and allowed extra time for the case.

...they could've made this clearer

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
While it is difficult to forget that Ben Roberts-Smith is our plaintiff here, it bears repeating as some people may conclude that this evidence doesn't reflect well on him.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

While it is difficult to forget that Ben Roberts-Smith is our plaintiff here, it bears repeating as some people may conclude that this evidence doesn't reflect well on him.

It's one of the funniest parts. Just sheer arrogance.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's one of the funniest parts. Just sheer arrogance.

You do wonder what he was hoping would be the end result of the case.

He knows he did the war crimes, he knows there were witnesses, he knows that the reporting was accurate and researched. So I suppose he was hoping they would fold immediately.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

He knows he did the war crimes, he knows there were witnesses, he knows that the reporting was accurate and researched. So I suppose he was hoping they would fold immediately.

In his mind they probably don't really count as war crimes, and it was unfair of the media to report on them.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Going to read this in the most positive light, perhaps he's such a narcissistic sociopath that he doesn't think what he did was a war crime.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Having Kerry Stokes’ bankroll and support probably didn’t help his judgement.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
brs probably didn't think his sasr mates would shop him out to a judge, but he broke the unwritten law by big noting himself on TV.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Having Kerry Stokes’ bankroll and support probably didn’t help his judgement.

You would think that Quentin Bryce withdrawing herself as a character witness for his trial would have set off alarm bells for team BRS

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1664492481386532872?t=YyKcAEWOHYIsy1cLQcdZ_A&s=19

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

Going to read this in the most positive light, perhaps he's such a narcissistic sociopath that he doesn't think what he did was a war crime.

This, plus in this scenario I can imagine you're surrounded by people (from Stokes to your own family to some of your ex-squadmates to the right-wing press and the comments underneath all the articles by the right-wing press) who agree with you, and it's natural to listen to their opinions and tune out contradictory ones

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

like, some sort of echo chamber?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hambeet posted:

like, some sort of echo chamber?

To continue being utterly fair, after all those war crimes he committed, his hearing is probably a bit hosed, so the only voice he can hear is his own

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like the war memorial guy going "but if we don't remember the war crimes how will we know not to repeat them?" and I'm like drat, if only the army had told soliders war crimes were bad this could have all been avoided.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Eediot Jedi posted:

I like the war memorial guy going "but if we don't remember the war crimes how will we know not to repeat them?" and I'm like drat, if only the army had told soliders war crimes were bad this could have all been avoided.

Yeah, they should put back up all those plaques and memorials for Jimmy Saville too, otherwise how will we know sexually assaulting children is wrong?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

To be clear I think an australian warcrimes display with cardboard cutouts of BRS and Andrew Hastie, hastie having a speech bubble saying "you don't, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to him" is in order, I just thought that argument was not great.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just another victim of the culture wars and the toxic woke agenda. Nah really just inject the shardenfruden straight into my viens. This is the gift that keeps giving. What we need now is for Kerry Stokes to go "Nah mate I only promised you the money 'cause I thought you were innocent but it turns out you are a complete piece of poo poo.

ADF saying that there has been a complete change of culture since :fap:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Cartoon posted:

Just another victim of the culture wars and the toxic woke agenda. Nah really just inject the shardenfruden straight into my viens. This is the gift that keeps giving. What we need now is for Kerry Stokes to go "Nah mate I only promised you the money 'cause I thought you were innocent but it turns out you are a complete piece of poo poo.

ADF saying that there has been a complete change of culture since :fap:

:shepface:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Sounds like an extremely lazy copy-paste of the dumbshit argument about keeping up statues of Confederate soldiers, slave traders etc

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been nice to see a few articles about how this highlights the problems with Australia's Anzac mythology and military worship. You kind of hope people might feel more free to question that stuff and not get hounded out of the country now.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eediot Jedi posted:

To be clear I think an australian warcrimes display with cardboard cutouts of BRS and Andrew Hastie, hastie having a speech bubble saying "you don't, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to him" is in order, I just thought that argument was not great.

Cardboard cutout of them drinking from the leg

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Look, unless you were part of the problem you shouldn't get to lecture people about the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Cardboard cutout of them drinking from the leg

The authentic sas party experience.