Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

a good chaser to that article: open google maps and count the golf courses around phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

that would have taken hours two decades ago, i can only imagine how bad it is now

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Guys, guys GUYs! Stop fighting amongst yourselves, we are all in this realm together. Your infighting is making me extremely sad. We will all band together as brothers and turn this ship around towards a bright future!

And I mean really bright!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Hexigrammus posted:

We've been on this property long enough that there are a lot of little graves in the orchard now.
when my old dog died i built a bower of branches on his grave, now they're all full of moss and lichen and invertebrates. the foxes have broken down the fence behind the bower and made a tunnel through the blackberries so they can get from the river to the orchard. i think he would have been pleased, he liked foxes (he chased them and they pretended to be scared)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Blyth is a fellow DoOmEr, I knew I always liked him.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230601-japan-reports-warmest-spring-on-record

quote:

Temperatures across March, April and May were 1.59 degrees Celsius (34.9 Fahrenheit) higher than average, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

:eyepop:

coke
Jul 12, 2009
the french just can't deal with imperial units again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

oh yeah?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/01/us/michgan-schools-heat.html

quote:

High Temperatures Close Schools in Several U.S. Cities

The closures in Detroit, Pittsburgh and Grand Rapids, Mich., renewed concerns about aging infrastructure amid climate change.
High heat shut down schools in Grand Rapids, Mich., and Pittsburgh on Thursday, forcing students and teachers to stay at home in the face of rising temperatures and inadequate air conditioning. In Detroit, the conditions led administrators to close that city’s schools three hours earlier than usual on Thursday, and similar plans were in place for Friday for the city’s 53,000 students.

In Pittsburgh, 40 schools in a district with more than 18,000 students shifted to remote learning, citing health concerns about sweltering classrooms, the district announced. In Grand Rapids, in western Michigan, home to 17,000 students, administrators canceled school for the remainder of the week as temperatures climbed to the 90s on Thursday.

The temperatures in some school buildings were “simply too warm,” the superintendent of schools, Leadriane Roby, said in a statement. “That not only makes the learning environment a challenge, but it also raises a safety concern.”

Poorly cooled or heated school buildings in the United States is far from a new concern, but it is an intensifying worry as more school districts are grappling with aging infrastructure and the effects of climate change. Older buildings often lack central air-conditioning, and even if window air-conditioners are present, they can be ineffective in classrooms packed with dozens of children.

A report in 2020 from the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that roughly 41 percent of school districts need to update or replace heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems in at least half of their schools.

Many school districts across the Midwest complete the school year as late as mid-June, making heat a problem in the final weeks of classes.

A high-pressure system over the Great Lakes has been trapping hot air rising from the ground, resulting in temperatures that are 10 to 20 degrees above average. Highs in the upper 80s to low 90s from the Great Lakes into New England are expected on Thursday and Friday, and some areas in the region could come close to tying or even breaking daily records.

Some relief will come this weekend, beginning on Saturday in New England and bringing lower temperatures to the Great Lakes toward the end of the weekend.

While there were no immediate reports of students sickened by the heat, administrators said that they made the decisions pre-emptively to avoid health issues. In several districts, after-school activities and sports were also canceled.

In Pittsburgh, free meals were made available for pickup in more than a dozen locations on Thursday and Friday mornings to families who needed them.

Alan N. Johnson, the superintendent of the East Allegheny County schools in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, said in an interview on Thursday afternoon that he was closely monitoring the heat in his school buildings but had so far managed to keep them open.

Outside, the temperature was 86 degrees. Inside, he said, the second floor of the building that houses middle and high school students had reached 83 degrees as the school day was nearly complete.

Teachers were distributing bottled water to students and urging them to stay hydrated, Mr. Johnson said, while fans had been made available for use in the hottest classrooms. In order to help students stay comfortable, he said, the dress code was more loosely enforced.

While administrators had weighed whether to send students home for the day, they worried that many students, especially those from low-income families, might not have air-conditioning available at home, either. Shifting to remote learning was an option, but it also raised the concern that it could be a burden for working parents.

The school year was set to end in the district on Friday, and Mr. Johnson said that he was focused on keeping students safe.

“We’re no longer pushing educational attainment,” Mr. Johnson said. “We just have to be here. If we don’t show up, we have to make the day up, and we’re just trying to get through the day.”

its loving june 1st

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://twitter.com/jamieclimate/status/1663145371688730625

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/05/31/mountain-valley-pipeline-legal-challenges-debt-ceiling-agreement/

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://phys.org/news/2023-05-secret-industry-documents-reveal-makers.html

quote:

"These documents reveal clear evidence that the chemical industry knew about the dangers of PFAS and failed to let the public, regulators, and even their own employees know the risks," said Tracey J. Woodruff, Ph.D., professor and director of the UCSF Program on Reproductive Health and the Environment (PRHE), a former senior scientist and policy advisor at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and senior author of the paper.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lol, instead of upgrading ventilation and updating climate control for COVID and climate change, all that emergency money was spent on cops.

There was a perfect reason, and schools were empty for a year. But absolutely nothing was done. So now kids get to be sick and learn what wet bulb temperature means firsthand.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I remember someone linking a pretty good paper about removing and storing co2 from car exhausts. I think the paper also covered ships etc. Does anyone remember it?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

climate change is finally real.......

https://www.thekitchn.com/huy-fong-foods-sriracha-shortage-2023-23521462

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

might be a long summer. Canada already getting ripped apart by cataclysmic fires

quote:

Wildfires are continuing to burn across the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, scorching hundreds of buildings and forcing thousands of residents from their homes.

As of Tuesday afternoon, more than 16,000 people had evacuated from areas around the capital Halifax that were under an earlier mandatory evacuation order. No injuries or missing people had been reported.

Officials estimated that 200 homes or structures had been destroyed.

err has issued a correction as of 09:00 on Jun 2, 2023

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

We've been on this property long enough that there are a lot of little graves in the orchard now. The next time I find myself trudging up the hill shovel in hand I will think about this post and smile.
this one hill on our family land holds 75+ years worth of misc family pets and it also has the biggest and tastiest patch of wild raspberries on the whole 1/4 :iiam:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FistEnergy posted:

0.4 degrees is a massive increase in energy for such a tremendous volume of water

lol, lmao

well, the good news is that this is just “Surface” temp - so it could be a very thin layer of warm water

similar to how bodies of water tend to freeze from the top and the water under the ice is somewhat insulated - the sun and/or greenhouse effect could be impacting the surface disproportionately, or the warm water that does exist might be swelling to the surface in an unusual way as currents change

we really have no idea what the overall state of the system is, but this is still a bad sign and the trend is really bad too

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Soggy Muffin posted:

https://twitter.com/DielFactor/status/1663939243817746432?s=20

It’s always some shithead real estate agent from Florida… can’t wait for +2C when half that state is underwater

[biosphere collapse]: we will adapt & survive or we won’t

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"We might not survive but who cares, surely even the people who won't survive don't care. I spit in the face of death (your death)"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh my death? No I'll survive because I'm me, the protagonist

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Microplastics posted:

Oh my death? No I'll survive because I'm me, the protagonist

the one true guiding principle of humanity

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:stare:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
4 S Devs!

4 S Devs!

4 S Devs!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

those lines look pretty close doomers idk, looks fine

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hoooo boy. It's gonna be a long summer.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

this is good for bitcoin

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it’s actually not possible to infer from existing trends you scientifically illiterate doomer

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
"when things get bad i'll just head to the woods or something"

the woods or something: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-ecologists-are-haunted-rapid-growth-ghost-forests-180977674/

love the second hope though

quote:

In many places, coastal forests and saltmarshes bump up against development—seawalls, levees, bulkheads and even lawns—that stops the natural migration inland. When rising seas come up against those hard barriers, the saltwater quickly turns the trapped ecosystems from coastal forest to saltmarsh to open water. Open water doesn’t provide the same ecosystem services, including carbon storage and storm protection. Smart says we need to think about providing resources for landowners who want to create adaptations allowing the migration of forests and saltmarshes inland while understanding the negative economic impacts—lost farm and timber lands. In one federal program, for instance, farmers are paid to remove land from production as saltwater intrudes.

“We have this very complex social and ecological challenge,” she says. “We need to think creatively about providing appropriate resources for landowners who want to implement adaptation.”

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Laterite posted:

quote:

"Porter said the change won’t necessarily curtail development in the booming Phoenix metro area, but it could push it towards bigger and older cities like Tempe and Scottsdale. Nor is it expected to curtail water use for industry and manufacturing – an important distinction given Arizona is quickly becoming a hub for advanced manufacturing of technology, including semi-conductor chips."

How the hell did I miss this? They're putting hugely water-dependent semiconductor plants IN A loving DESERT??!!!

Wheeee posted:

it wouldn't be a climate thread without an aggressively stupid and condescending epic EV guy

I'd volunteer to stand in if they get probed but I keep seeing the skulls of small children killed in DRC lithium mine cave-ins decorating EVs like a war rig.

Erghh posted:

"when things get bad i'll just head to the woods or something"

the woods or something: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-ecologists-are-haunted-rapid-growth-ghost-forests-180977674/

love the second hope though

Too late, the woods are already full of psychotic arseholes and incendiary trees and we will have eaten all the deer and squirrels before you arrive.

We have some drowned forest pockets around the Salish Sea as well but the mechanism is different - the underlying plate is still reacting to the release of the weight of the ice sheets so like pushing on a bar of soap in a bathtub some locations go up, some go down. It's neat to find a shallow bay full of snags that was above sea level 100 years ago.

Came up recently in a conversation with a friend who's friend has been a towboat captain for several decades and says a particular mark near Vancouver hasn't disappeared yet therefore this sea level rise thing is bullshit. Among other things we have a tidal range of almost 6 metres here. That's some precision eyeball there.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

How the hell did I miss this? They're putting hugely water-dependent semiconductor plants IN A loving DESERT??!!!

Yep! Pro move on Arizona's part to always be in the game for the water allocation and of course for the fabrication facilities who took in billions of subsidies from the state of Arizona.

Losers are everyone else though

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the semiconductor plant is conveniently placed between gas town and the bullet farm

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

looks like we're about 5-10 years away from the extent minimum reaching 0, but what do i know

Popoto has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Jun 2, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Barb is kinda tedious at level 20 but hopefully I find my first legendary soon

Does the world tier level only affect gold & xp or are drops better?

edit: loving hell, wrong thread. I'm a dumbass poster

smoobles has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Jun 3, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

world tier level increases wet bulb temperatures and tropical storm intensity while reducing rewards

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

smoobles posted:

Barb is kinda tedious at level 20 but hopefully I find my first legendary soon

Does the world tier level only affect gold & xp or are drops better?

you’re going into a higher world temperature tier whether you like it or not

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

There’s a lot of bullshit out there but this actually isn’t so bad. Semiconductor plants recycle their water repeatedly and other than startup costs tend to not use a lot of new water.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the way to solve water usage in the desert is to stop worrying about it

you dig a hole and water comes out of it, problem solved

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Semiconductor plants will use less water than the vast fields of Alfalfa which Saudi Arabia owns in Arizona and then ships abroad to feed racehorses. Alfalfa is illegal to grow in Saudi Arabia due to the excessive water consumption.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/politics/in-drought-stricken-arizona-fresh-scrutiny-of-saudi-arabia-owned-farms-water-use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

FlapYoJacks posted:

There’s a lot of bullshit out there but this actually isn’t so bad. Semiconductor plants recycle their water repeatedly and other than startup costs tend to not use a lot of new water.

So what was going on with Taiwan's fab plants and low reservoir levels a couple of years ago? Might have just been crappy reporting but I was under the impression they had to curtail production.