Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

i know a lot of goons think rto is all middle-management or real estate goop, but i actually think the big reason of rto is a way to do layoffs without laying off officially. it's smart actually. how well it works is tbd since tech is making GBS threads itself and no one is gunna quit right now but i'm guessing there's at least some that moved away and won't be returning so they'll file their 2-week-notice with this, and then probably be unemployed.

That's what I thought when my company also announced the usual 3 day RTO last year but here are some case studies in my group:

1.) person had moved to the east coast during covid and just immediately sent in her resignation. They told her no just stay remote and she has been since

2.) I just said ok and never went back in, except maybe a couple times a month as I had been before. Once in awhile a manager or someone would call and say "oh when are you gonna come in more you need to come in 3 days blah blah" and I just said ok then didn't do that. I got promoted a couple months ago

3.) One guy started coming in every day as soon as they let people (and before the RTO "mandate"). He got laid off

So idk. The problem is if it's some bullshit you can do perfectly well from a computer, and if people have been doing it from home for 2+ years...many of them will just keep doing that and call management's bluff. If they want to lay people off they can and will do that at any time for whatever reason anyway, and ultimately even for them that is a decision based on cost vs. value and little else. I think the core dichotomy is that management themselves aren't really convinced, they are just doing it because openly or fully acknowledging the reality of how office work has changed isn't in their near term interests (anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have to fix a hole in a gutter and the resulting wood damage and that's going to cost me over $1k

The old thing about buying a fixer-upper when you're broke / young no longer applies because you can't afford the materials + labor a fixer-upper needs.

It no longer applies because the base price for homes is now ridiculously high, even for a busted old shithouse.

The adage always sort of ignored the potentially enormous expense of actually fixing the place and assumed you'd paper over the damage yourself.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

lol

didn't mark fuckerberg do some big pandemic hoo-rah about perma wfh forever? i'm guessing it's just another way to do an employee culling without having to do WARN and pay severance.

i know a lot of goons think rto is all middle-management or real estate goop, but i actually think the big reason of rto is a way to do layoffs without laying off officially. it's smart actually. how well it works is tbd since tech is making GBS threads itself and no one is gunna quit right now but i'm guessing there's at least some that moved away and won't be returning so they'll file their 2-week-notice with this, and then probably be unemployed.

anyways it's great traffic is even worse than pre-pandemic, fortunately with my new job i never have to cross the bay bridge ever again

https://twitter.com/cryptohub210/status/1664403700930969606?s=46&t=wFLEtw1rYscWWbs5yY6yJA

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

i have it on good authority from my local mortgage broker that I’m “stupid for not owning”

many sides

your mortgage broker is right. take it from me too, you are a moron for not putting all of your money into bitcoin in 2008 and then selling it all at the peak and putting it into tesla so you could afford a basement condo unit

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My job became WFH like 2 years before COVID started because the company didn't want to keep renting the floor of the office building that I worked on. Any attempt to get me back into an office even one day a week would make me quit ASAP. Spending at least 90 minutes per day commuting sucks rear end

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One of the big selling points of his stupid loving "metaverse" is being able to meet in cyberspace rather than in person, but I guess a sociopath like Zuck gets off on the power trip of forcing his slaves valued employees to come back to the office so he can lord it over them.

The serfs must come to work but they are unworthy of seeing the holy c-suites in person. Verily they shall only commune with the above by meta VR and receive their holy instructions thus.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My job became WFH like 2 years before COVID started because the company didn't want to keep renting the floor of the office building that I worked on. Any attempt to get me back into an office even one day a week would make me quit ASAP. Spending at least 90 minutes per day commuting sucks rear end
My company can't keep me in the office space their contract paid for long before I was actually offered a job. This is cool and good.

(It's milketoast at best)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

The serfs must come to work but they are unworthy of seeing the holy c-suites in person. Verily they shall only commune with the above by meta VR and receive their holy instructions thus.

you hold no lands, have no titles, and your posting does not bring you reputation

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://deadline.com/2023/05/wga-netflix-comcast-executive-pay-hikes-strike-1235382971/

quote:

WGA West President Meredith Stiehm is urging Netflix and Comcast stockholders to reject pay raises for the companies’ top executives at their upcoming shareholders meetings, saying that approving the proposed pay packages is “inappropriate in light of the ongoing WGA writers’ strike.” The Netflix shareholders meeting will be held on Thursday and Comcast will hold its on June 7.

“While investors have long taken issue with Netflix’s executive pay,” Stiehm wrote in a letter to Netflix shareholders, “the compensation structure is even more egregious against the backdrop of the strike. In the midst of a disruptive labor dispute, Netflix is asking shareholders to give retroactive advisory approval of the company’s 2022 reported executive compensation totaling over $166 million. By contrast, the proposed improvements the WGA currently has on the table would cost Netflix an estimated $68 million per year. I urge you to vote against Proposal 3 and encourage Netflix to put an end to the disruptive strike.”

In a similar letter sent to Comcast shareholders (read it here), she wrote that “In the midst of the strike’s disruption, Comcast is asking shareholders to give retroactive advisory approval of the company’s 2022 reported executive compensation totaling over $130 million. By contrast, the proposed improvements the WGA currently has on the table would cost Comcast an estimated $34 million per year. I urge you to vote against Proposal 5 and encourage Comcast to put an end to the disruptive strike.”

In her letter to Netflix shareholders (read it here), she said that “Since May 2nd, the writers’ strike and support from other Hollywood unions have disrupted writing and/or production on numerous Netflix series including Stranger Things and Cobra Kai. Netflix’s content pipeline has been blocked, with dozens of projects that were in development or ordered to series as of May 1st unable to move forward until WGA negotiations conclude.

“This disruption of content creation is of particular concern given Netflix’s recent rollout of advertising supported subscription tiers and its crackdown on password sharing in the U.S. and other major markets. A delay in the writing, production, and release of new content may impact Netflix’s ability to attract and retain subscribers and viewers just as the company asks customers to watch advertising and pay more for its content.”

In a similar message to Comcast shareholders, she noted that the strike has “disrupted writing and/or production on numerous NBCUniversal series, including Dick Wolf’s Chicago franchise, Law & Order, and Law & Order: SVU. The strike’s impact on Comcast’s broadcast lineup has a knock-on effect for its streaming business which relies on a steady flow of new broadcast episodes to populate its platform the day after episodes air on TV. In fact, Peacock gets roughly twice as many new scripted, WGA-covered episodes from in-season NBC content as it does from Peacock’s originals slate.”

In both letters she said that Netflix, Comcast and the other companies represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers “refused to negotiate an agreement that fairly compensates the writers who create their films and TV series. In the face of an unprecedented decline in compensation and the erosion of working conditions that have resulted from the business practices of streaming companies, writers are demanding to be paid fairly for the tremendous value they create for profitable media companies” like Netflix and Comcast.

The WGA strike, which is now in its 29th day, began May 2 after negotiations with the AMPTP failed to reach an acceptable deal. The guild’s core issues include significant increases in compensation, minimum staffing, duration of employment, the establishment of viewer-based streaming residuals and curbs on the use of artificial intelligence to create scripts.

166 - 68 = 98 million dollars in excess of what the writers are asking for.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean inevitably they're gonna have to choose between shareholders and the ceo over who gets the others share of the increasingly smaller pie. They got by via stealing the workers half but that ran out a while ago so I'm curious what they do if they realize that fact?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/05/wga-netflix-comcast-executive-pay-hikes-strike-1235382971/

166 - 68 = 98 million dollars in excess of what the writers are asking for.
lol

i gotta say, i got a bad feeling about this wga strike, especially with how blatant execs are at flaunting money. i mean it's a good strike and necessary; however, i have bad vibes that i think it's gunna ultimately end up ATC'd

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The old thing about buying a fixer-upper when you're broke / young no longer applies because you can't afford the materials + labor a fixer-upper needs.

True for cars, too. You're going to pay out the rear end for a beater and you're absolutely hosed if you can't do most of the work yourself, which you almost certainly cannot if you don't have a detached home with a driveway.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Xaris posted:

lol

i gotta say, i got a bad feeling about this wga strike, especially with how blatant execs are at flaunting money. i mean it's a good strike and necessary; however, i have bad vibes that i think it's gunna ultimately end up ATC'd

I'm cackling at the idea of writing young Sheldon being so critical to the national economy that the government breaks the wga strike

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spaced God posted:

I'm cackling at the idea of writing young Sheldon being so critical to the national economy that the government breaks the wga strike

somewhere Obama is making a call

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

lol

The government doesn't care. The big issue is whether the writers can apply pressure to the streaming television economy in the same way they could to the cable television economy.

The media companies may not be certain about this themselves but they're perhaps more willing to risk a long fight this time on the chance that they can withstand a strike under the new economics and break the WGA, which would permanently reduce their overhead.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Didn't SAG and the producers guild both also recently authorize strikes too though? :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Koirhor posted:

somewhere Obama is making a call
lol definitely

Spaced God posted:

it was a bad analogy but i meant it more in brutally scattered to the winds analogy, though not by government but just by shear corporate power. There's a lot of differences now than back in the mid 2000s with streaming having taken over. there's a lot of non-union production centers in Georgia (entirely non-union because it's GOP state), Vancouver, even New Mexico and poo poo now versus most of it being concentrated in LA where the guild has much more power. its easier than ever to cross the line without having to move a step. they also have a ton of scripts already on file

basically multi-national megacorps with production across the globe can stay solvent even just on Friends and Big Bang Theory re-runs + reality tv dating show slop 10000x longer than a poor rear end writer with $3000/month 1br apart LA rent can stay solvent.

it's also not like content is going to dry up immediately and more of a constriction of new content 12-24 months from now. I'm also skeptical that constant stream of new shiny content is necessary to keep the profits flowin' as long as there is some content coming in. but fuckin' hell, Netflix can just keep throwing lovely korean dating shows and 100 seasons of Love is Blind or 90 Day Fiance and stay solvent. i just got bad vibes about this one working out

hope to be wrong but in any case it's going to be a really really really long strike is my guess. probably much longer than the mid 2000s one at this rate, but who knows. streaming isn't quite as beholden to constantly keeping a schedule of new content to appease everyone that just throws it on for background noise.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Jun 2, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well that's the premise, but they tend to like to use that fact to leverage themselves really drat hard so they may seem and in fact may be perfectly invincible up until they start a hyperinflation spiral due to finally wearing out some invisible third leg to the global economy.

So if they won it'd probably be because of the latter.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I'm not caught up with the thread yet, but:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i should've stuck with my initial impulse to call you a fuckin idiot

Thread title

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

I have to fix a hole in a gutter and the resulting wood damage and that's going to cost me over $1k

yeah i owned a 100+ year old house for over a decade and i still have nightmares about those loving gutters/soffits, never again

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Slippy joe..sloppy joe... slammy joe...,

....Samsonite joe!! I was way off!!!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

to boast, or maybe to lament: I drive 6-8 hours to work twice a month. I have to arrive the day before my shift and then I'm flying for 4 straight days. I get off work and use another one of my off days to drive home. Our shift change is at noon so my day driving home puts me back in my residence around 6-8P.M. So 4 of my off days are spent traveling, and I work 4 days a row, twice a week (more if I pick up overtime and tack it on to my work stretch.)

That's still more manageable than being stuck in traffic at 7 A.M 5 days a week...gently caress traffic and gently caress RTO in any capacity.

Nice and hot piss has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Jun 2, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cuckerberg

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I lucked the hell out after 10+ months of unemployment with a job that's two blocks away and only requires two days per week in person, but I'll walk over most days because I have extremely undiagnosed ADHD that prevents me from getting poo poo done at home.

I was thinking of selling my car as a result and then it got backed into by someone who'd stolen a car, though, so there's some give and take :shepicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eric Cantonese posted:

I can see how the downvoting problem depends on the subreddit.

There's a soccer player named Ivan Toney who recently got in trouble for gambling and received a playing ban. Some people were commenting in the Soccer subreddit about how Toney would still get paid by his club despite the ban (which is true!) and that he still had leverage over Brentford (because if they fined him, he might just see out his contract and leave for free to another club now that Toney has shown he can score in the Premier League) and those posters got downvoted for no particular reason that I can see. People just can't help downvoting things they don't like, I guess.

when reddit used to be just about tech and tech news, there was some merit behind the upvote/downvote system: if someone asks "how do you properly remove the battery from phone XYZ?" and someone comes up with a correct answer, you upvote it so it floats to the top, and you downvote the incorrect answers so they get hidden

but it only works when the things being discussed are matters of objective fact - if someone posts a thread about a Samsung phone in /r/nokia, you downvote it because it's not germane (if the moderators don't take action on it first)

once reddit started being used for discussion of more opinionated issues, then upvotes/downvotes just become expressions of approval and disapproval, which then leads to brigading and hivemind behavior. No topic that's positive about Russia is going to survive five minutes in /r/ukraine

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of internet stuff was originally set up with the idea humans would be actual humans not millions or billions of script bots. If paying advertisers ever find out how much they've been had then lol.

They won't though.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

ok the people who post itt do seem mostly like nice people. but i choose to think ill of the lurkers

gently caress you too, buddy! You ain't lumping my pinko commie rear end in with thorn

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i demand an apology from anyone who complained about "class reductionism" when floyd protests completely sucked the air out of any sort of economic discussion in the summer of 2020, this is what you got, hope you enjoy it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of people thought the economic support that happened during the pandemic would at least continue in some form in the future and a massive recession wouldn't result as inflation grew out of control.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I bring this up all the time and my friends say a bloo bloo they had to because it would have damaged the economy a bloo bloo bloo.

Yeah bud, that's called "the point". If it didn't do economic damage it wouldn't be a strike.

your friends are liberals I'm sorry but its true

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Spaced God posted:

producers guild... authorize strike

lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol definitely

it was a bad analogy but i meant it more in brutally scattered to the winds analogy, though not by government but just by shear corporate power. There's a lot of differences now than back in the mid 2000s with streaming having taken over. there's a lot of non-union production centers in Georgia (entirely non-union because it's GOP state), Vancouver, even New Mexico and poo poo now versus most of it being concentrated in LA where the guild has much more power. its easier than ever to cross the line without having to move a step. they also have a ton of scripts already on file

basically multi-national megacorps with production across the globe can stay solvent even just on Friends and Big Bang Theory re-runs + reality tv dating show slop 10000x longer than a poor rear end writer with $3000/month 1br apart LA rent can stay solvent.

it's also not like content is going to dry up immediately and more of a constriction of new content 12-24 months from now. I'm also skeptical that constant stream of new shiny content is necessary to keep the profits flowin' as long as there is some content coming in. but fuckin' hell, Netflix can just keep throwing lovely korean dating shows and 100 seasons of Love is Blind or 90 Day Fiance and stay solvent. i just got bad vibes about this one working out

hope to be wrong but in any case it's going to be a really really really long strike is my guess. probably much longer than the mid 2000s one at this rate, but who knows. streaming isn't quite as beholden to constantly keeping a schedule of new content to appease everyone that just throws it on for background noise.

nobody knows but I saw some WGA friends yesterday and they said they think it will end in september because that is believed, or rumored, to be the time the studios will start to run out of what they have ready on hand. If sag strikes it will really hurt because although it is a different era it's also kinda past the streaming era and videogames, youtube etc will continue to have novel content while streaming won't. and just picture logging in and seeing the same poo poo, and closing the app. do it a few times and wonder why you're paying for it. we live in a time where I think more money than ever is being spent on tv shows. more of them being made for more money. that's not a sign that it's safe to quit scripted shows cold turkey

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i also heard the picket lines are fun and people are still sending food and whatever a month on and morale is high

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

nobody knows but I saw some WGA friends yesterday and they said they think it will end in september because that is believed, or rumored, to be the time the studios will start to run out of what they have ready on hand. If sag strikes it will really hurt because although it is a different era it's also kinda past the streaming era and videogames, youtube etc will continue to have novel content while streaming won't. and just picture logging in and seeing the same poo poo, and closing the app. do it a few times and wonder why you're paying for it. we live in a time where I think more money than ever is being spent on tv shows. more of them being made for more money. that's not a sign that it's safe to quit scripted shows cold turkey

Granted, I am sure they are going to try to keep something in the pipeline even if US shows have to be paused. Netflix has a bunch of license agreements with foreign productions, and I am sure there is going to be a wave of them hitting the app. It is going to be a long struggle.

----------

One thing I was thinking about was the poverty line, and how absolutely meaningless it is in 2023. A family of 3 is $24,860, how is that even remotely close to being livable in any urban area of the country? I wonder how much the US is effectively in dire poverty, but the statistics are simply meaningless at this point because they aren't attached to anything. It goes for all the means-testing they are attached to as well.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

median individual income for people over 15 years old is 37,000 in 2021 dollars. There are 332 million Americans and ~81% are 15 or older.

So 134 million americans make less than 37,000 a year.

edit:

Retired = 49 million
Highschool = 17 million
Post secondary = 18 million

lets assume all of them are in the lower half of earners, and ignore people whose spouse is a high earner while they are a low earner or w/e. trust fund people.

that's still 50 million of working age making less than 37,000 per year under my most generous assumptions.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 11:01 on Jun 2, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

median individual income for people over 15 years old is 37,000 in 2021 dollars. There are 332 million Americans and ~81% are 15 or older.

So 134 million americans make less than 37,000 a year

In addition, many people under 18 are effectively in poverty (probably a higher percentage) regardless because they are relying on their parents income. The poverty line is simply set to not catch most poverty.

In how many urban areas in country is making $37-40k a enough to live on, especially if you don't qualify for most social programs at a certain point and now making enough to be taxed? Hell, I am sure there are plenty of rural areas where it isn't enough either.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:05 on Jun 2, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah its not enough

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

yeah SAG going in would be very good for both and perhaps get good double-contracts. if SAG sits out.. well... i'm a bit pessimistic.

although i'm not so sure about people not seeing any new content and cancel for a couple of reasons:
a) there's still a huge subscriber base that just puts on for background noise / netflix n chill / or to eat dinner with the TV on to avoid talking to your bitch partner and annoying kids and will just continue to pay for it no matter what
b) streaming apps are really good about shuffling content and controlling what people see to trick them into almost anythings
c) and it's not like the content pipeline will end so they technically will keep getting NEW ARRIVALS! loaded. they'll keep having plenty of TLC-rear end drama/dating shows/reality tv/game shows, foreign licensed english/indian/france/russian/korean/japanese/whatever shows to flood the main page.

twitch isn't even really in the same realm and is still super duper niche, but definitely youtube is the biggest competitor.

I think the loss of ZIRP may significantly hurt scripted shows more than we know, and already I think we're seeing pullback now that ZIRP is gone, although that's just conjecture. Netflix hardly even continued a show past the first or second season even years ago. seems like cutting to the chase and not even bothering with a first season would be even more profitable.

but well like I said, i hope they succeed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I cancelled Netflix now that they’ve brought the hammer down on sharing. Like gently caress man all they’ve done this year is raise the price, cancel poo poo I actually enjoy like Inside Job, and change the rules on sharing explicitly to wring out more growth.

I hope they eat poo poo on the Q3 reports, so by the CSPAM predictions rule everyone is going to buy 3 accounts and their stock will moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea if anything that's gunna slay them is their stupid price and sharing banhammers. lotta rando normies (who aren't addicted to background noise) are cancelling for that reason too because its just not worth it now. it's perhaps good happenstance for workers that Netflix decided to do this stupid poo poo leading to mass exodus at the same time WGA goes on strike because they';re gunna have to explain to shareholders why subscribers are down like 30% and then scramble to backpedal writ-large