Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think SAL is funding shaddiq. My understanding was SAL funds dawn of fold, and independent of that shaddiq also pays them large piles of money via grassley's wealth to use them as essentially mercenaries.

I like shaddiq and think the way people keep insisting he's secretly a moron is weird but there's no way the final boss isn't prospera. Not a 0.1% chance, it's definitely prospera.

I don't think he's a moron, but I do think he will completely underestimate Prospera's piloting chops at his own peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think SAL is funding shaddiq. My understanding was SAL funds dawn of fold, and independent of that shaddiq also pays them large piles of money via grassley's wealth to use them as essentially mercenaries.

I like shaddiq and think the way people keep insisting he's secretly a moron is weird but there's no way the final boss isn't prospera. Not a 0.1% chance, it's definitely prospera.

She's not the final boss. She's gonna be the Superboss. A loose end that must needs be wrapped up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kchama posted:

I don't think he's a moron, but I do think he will completely underestimate Prospera's piloting chops at his own peril.

Naah, narratively I suspect Guel's more likely to be his foil.

Dude needs a serious win in a Mobile Suit fight and he's well overdue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're placing bets, I'll let a little ride on Prospera being revealed to be a good guy in the final math.

In The Tempest, Prospero's role is to be an ambiguous and suspicious figure who ultimately is revealed to be noble, allowing the play a happy ending. Meanwhile, Prospera in Mercury is shown as the heavy, but lately she's been getting a lot of looks-bad-but... moments. She cares for Suletta to some extent, with her betrayal being shown in the same way as those of Eri and Miorine. She also has just enough grey area this episode with the disaster this episode to let the show reveal she's innocent if it wants. She just fired one hacked gun so she could destroy the Gundams, with the massive firefight after being an unplanned result she's trying to make lemonade with.

Now, that's a lot requiring very generous assumptions, but given the writer and the temptation to make a too-clever-by-half allusion, I think there's a chance here. At minimum, giving Prospera a "Aw, look, she cares" moment in the middle of Suletta's emotional pummeling is something the show wouldn't really get much use from if she's just going to be the final opponent.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Naah, narratively I suspect Guel's more likely to be his foil.

Dude needs a serious win in a Mobile Suit fight and he's well overdue.

I more mean if he decides to go after Prospera in a fight (cuz he's arrogant enough to do so) it won't end well for him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with a title like The End of Hope do we expect anyone else to die Sunday or are we going for a more nebulous "doesn't matter what we do because we're all absolutely hosed by the situation" vibe?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

If we're placing bets, I'll let a little ride on Prospera being revealed to be a good guy in the final math.

In The Tempest, Prospero's role is to be an ambiguous and suspicious figure who ultimately is revealed to be noble, allowing the play a happy ending. Meanwhile, Prospera in Mercury is shown as the heavy, but lately she's been getting a lot of looks-bad-but... moments. She cares for Suletta to some extent, with her betrayal being shown in the same way as those of Eri and Miorine. She also has just enough grey area this episode with the disaster this episode to let the show reveal she's innocent if it wants. She just fired one hacked gun so she could destroy the Gundams, with the massive firefight after being an unplanned result she's trying to make lemonade with.

Now, that's a lot requiring very generous assumptions, but given the writer and the temptation to make a too-clever-by-half allusion, I think there's a chance here. At minimum, giving Prospera a "Aw, look, she cares" moment in the middle of Suletta's emotional pummeling is something the show wouldn't really get much use from if she's just going to be the final opponent.

I think the most recent episode is the pretty clear "She is emphatically a villain" signifier, because I don't feel it's at all plausible for someone portrayed as consistently intelligent and one-step-ahead of everyone as Prospera wouldn't understand the exact results of triggering a weapons discharge in an extremely tense negotiation between two armed and very agitated groups of people. She even said she was under attack and was evacuating(to cover her actual objective), which immediately primes all the Domincus guys to go weapons live because they're keyed up and terrified and surrounded on all sides by a sea of potentially armed protesters who hate them - which is exactly what happened.

She might have a Darth Vader moment where she redeems herself in the end but I would have a hard time swallowing "Well, she was actually good if you really think about it" now.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 1, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Noble end goals don't make up for seventeen years of treating Suletta as a can opener for her preferred child, even with the occasional "aw she does care... a bit" moments.

Like, Suletta realized Aerial was protecting her from Prospera and the visuals imply Suletta realizes Miorine was trying to do the same. But she's pretty clearly realizing that what Prospera is doing is horrible rather than concluding that Prospera is also doing things for Suletta's benefit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 1, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it seemed to me like she intended for that to happen so that
1. Miorine has a better position in the election and is forced to embrace violence going forward
2. It covers her "evacuating" to go blow up the ochs earth gundam stash. Everyone who saw her leave definitely has bigger fish to fry now than "hey where did that evacuating person actually go?"

I think those humanizing moments with prospera are there to get us to sympathize with her and understand that there's more to her than the ruthless scheming exterior suggests. I don't think it's foreshadowing for a heel turn, she's done a bit too much to go back.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hey when was the last time we saw prospera without the mask?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I mean "burn corpo poo poo" is a vibe people can get behind but not "intentionally set off a powder keg that murders children so you have a smokescreen"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Hey when was the last time we saw prospera without the mask?

Episode 18 right after she asked Eri if they could have brought Suletta with them to Earth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh, that's more recent than i thought. i feel like earlier in the show we tended to see mask on/mask off fairly frequently, but at some point she became near exclusively the mask

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

its not never but she does take it off from time to time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was the first time she took it off this season, granted. Unless you also want to count Elnora scenes in Eri's flashback mind upload not two minutes earlier the same episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

chiasaur11 posted:

She also has just enough grey area this episode with the disaster this episode to let the show reveal she's innocent if it wants. She just fired one hacked gun so she could destroy the Gundams, with the massive firefight after being an unplanned result she's trying to make lemonade with.

Your media comprehension is dogshit, bro. How would somone as smart and in-control as Prospera not realize firing off a shell in the middle of such a tense situation not turn everything into a bloodbath, especially when the previous episode had a scene of her showing Miorine just how volatile the situation was?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
She also caused a massive explosion very close by the situation she already threw a lit match onto.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It wasn't the single tank shell that set the fight off, it was Prospera causing a giant explosion at the edge of town. If Prospera wasn't expecting that giant explosion in a city that was currently in an armed standoff to kick things off, then she is very stupid. The fight also benefits her because it delays any investigation into that giant explosion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only "grey" area with Prospera is whether you think the vileness of her targets is enough to excuse the actions she takes to punish them. So far all signs are pointing to "no, it's not worth it." Almost like the show is saying that vengeance is bad and leads you down a dark path.

Anyhoo, this is something:
https://twitter.com/nyong_L/status/1663610798286188544?t=6TYO72LTw3hCnX0Wx86K3w&s=19

I thought it was weird that this week's episode flashed back to the Eri scene but had a moment where we see Eri talk but no sound. This tweet is wondering if there's more to that and Eri told something to Suletta that we didn't hear... yet.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 1, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Which, to me, is a problem, because I want nothing more than this show to end with Prospera getting the ol’ Suletta Slappa.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought it was weird that this week's episode flashed back to the Eri scene but had a moment where we see Eri talk but no sound. This tweet is wondering if there's more to that and Eri told something to Suletta that we didn't hear... yet.

I'd say that's explicitly what that scene was implying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arc Hammer posted:

The only "grey" area with Prospera is whether you think the vileness of her targets is enough to excuse the actions she takes to punish them. So far all signs are pointing to "no, it's not worth it." Almost like the show is saying that vengeance is bad and leads you down a dark path.

Anyhoo, this is something:
https://twitter.com/nyong_L/status/1663610798286188544?t=6TYO72LTw3hCnX0Wx86K3w&s=19

Akagi Ritsuko, the truth is...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zeruel posted:

I'd say that's explicitly what that scene was implying.

Well now I want to know what exactly she told her. Did she spill that Miorine was also trying to protect Suletta? Or did she say something else.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 1, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I hope it’s just an emotional beat. It’s cheap and I don’t like it when a story deliberately cuts the audience out of part of a dialogue characters are having just to tactically deploy it as a twist later (looking at you, Walking Dead Season One.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does anyone have that Simpsons G-Witch edit with the mafia fight?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

She just fired one hacked gun so she could destroy the Gundams, with the massive firefight after being an unplanned result she's trying to make lemonade with.

She explicitly hacked into a tank, sent a shell at a building next to her, blamed the demonstrators, left her post, ignored Miorine's call, and blew up a hillside. She planned every bit of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Takoluka posted:

Paging Waffleman.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

https://twitter.com/punipuni_hoe/status/1662706202151890944

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Takoluka posted:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah it seemed to me like she intended for that to happen so that
1. Miorine has a better position in the election and is forced to embrace violence going forward
2. It covers her "evacuating" to go blow up the ochs earth gundam stash. Everyone who saw her leave definitely has bigger fish to fry now than "hey where did that evacuating person actually go?"

I think those humanizing moments with prospera are there to get us to sympathize with her and understand that there's more to her than the ruthless scheming exterior suggests. I don't think it's foreshadowing for a heel turn, she's done a bit too much to go back.

Yeah, it comes off to me like they're clearly presenting Prospera as a villain, but including these moments to show that she's not just Snidely Whiplash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can it be Sunday already? I want to see Guel find Sarius's corpse and 5Norea to become the ultimate toxic power couple smashing their way to freedom.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Can it be Sunday already? I want to see Guel find Sarius's corpse and 5Norea to become the ultimate toxic power couple smashing their way to freedom.

I wonder if Sarius would be dead. Mio seemed to think he'd be alive ("that's where they'd be keeping him") and I think she's right. Shaddiq seemed to want to convince his dad that he was right and probably wanted to show off, considering he bothered to have that conversation with his dad after he kidnapped him instead of just having him thrown into a MS's reactor or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe Sarius is alive but gets killed by Norea as Guel is dragging him back to the shuttle because she wants to kill all Spacians. "The End of Hope" for a peaceful resolution.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 1, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe Sarius is alive but gets killed by Norea as Guel is dragging him back to the shuttle because she wants to kill all Spacians. "The End of Hope" for a peaceful resolution.

Sarius being rescued does nothing for the powder keg that Prospera set off, nor the SAL's continuous undermining of the Benerit Group. It gets Shaddiq into very hot water but things have already escalated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Traveller posted:

Sarius being rescued does nothing for the powder keg that Prospera set off, nor the SAL's continuous undermining of the Benerit Group. It gets Shaddiq into very hot water but things have already escalated.

So you're saying that even if Guel pulls this off and snatches Sarius without issue he's still going to take another L?

Checks out.

https://twitter.com/g6xa3awstGCEljS/status/1661591260296269829?t=tCYvocQ05OcqUbphExWchw&s=19

Ah yes the most important of Blu-Ray alterations, more ChuChu lampposts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/mon0eye/status/1664448245047730176?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why are there only five episodes left this isn't fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nScWwSDlEw

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 2, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please have them kiss during Pride month

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Please have them kiss during Pride month

If they get married during the first Pride after Japan declared gay marriage a constitutional right, that would be very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

All scenes need at least 10% more ChuChu