Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I know several people who went to the premiere and they all loved it, but they are also easily pleased types.

so i should love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I don’t know this person, but they showed up on my feed

https://twitter.com/sherazfarooqi_/status/1663706518624116744?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Why are you posting random evil people?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Guillermo del Toro has been gushing about it for the past like week straight, and I’m not sure he had any hand in it so that seems promising.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not casting aspersions on GDT by any means, but he tweets about a lot of animation stuff (and I think knows a lot of the creatives behind it) so I could see this hypothetically being part of that. With all the other buzz, though, seems like the movie's just phenomenal, which is exciting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those pics remind me i need to try watching ItSPV in hdr

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, very rude, nigh problematic really, for Spider-Verse to come out in the same week as Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6. :whitewater:

edit: Wait apparently I was wrong about Diablo, that comes out next week. :saddowns: Sorry to anyone who got super excited about it

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 31, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Not even Miles & Gwen can distract me from my destiny of using Manon to repeatedly dump chumps on their rear end.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh, very rude, nigh problematic really, for Spider-Verse to come out in the same week as Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6. :whitewater:

Well, you can drop Diablo 4 without losing anything...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol Imagine having friends to play fighting games with!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

I know several people who went to the premiere and they all loved it, but they are also easily pleased types.

I have no doubt, it's just the ad looks like it's for a movie that the studio is struggling to paint in a positive light. I figure most people don't read the names behind the quotes in those kinds of commercials anyway.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well, the movie critic for Rolling Stone just described the movie's animation as "...the clean, lean lines of Arthur Adams’ work seamlessly merged with the scratched-up psychedelia of Bill Sienkiewicz." so I think it's pretty good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sony confirming an animated Spider-Woman and live-action Mile Morales movie have been greenlighted.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1663998537971974144

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder if that's a Gwen spin off or something else. Guess it could be a Madam Web spin off buy who knows what's going to happen with that

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just saw the new Spider-Verse. It was pretty drat good but not as good as the first one. Felt a bit less focused, and they didn't go for the same vibe with the soundtrack this time.

ENDING (VERY VAGUE) SPOILERS

The ending got the loudest audience reaction I have EVER heard. And I've been to many Marvel premières.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

New Turtles trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho

I really loving love the style of this. Is it Spiderverse we can thank for studios apparently realising that CG animated movies can have some style instead of all looking the same? Seems like we're starting to see more animated movies going for something else than generic CG these days.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

We were leaving the Spider-verse movie like "who the gently caress would want to see a live action comic book movie after this?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Veotax posted:

New Turtles trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho

I really loving love the style of this. Is it Spiderverse we can thank for studios apparently realising that CG animated movies can have some style instead of all looking the same? Seems like we're starting to see more animated movies going for something else than generic CG these days.

I really want to like this but I can't get past Donny sounding like he's five. He sounds like Pete the Cat or Caillou or something. Why did they do that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

theironjef posted:

I really want to like this but I can't get past Donny sounding like he's five. He sounds like Pete the Cat or Caillou or something. Why did they do that?

Because that's what some people sound like before puberty kicks in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony confirming an animated Spider-Woman and live-action Mile Morales movie have been greenlighted.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1663998537971974144

Spider-Man: Miles From Home

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

kiminewt posted:

I just saw the new Spider-Verse. It was pretty drat good but not as good as the first one. Felt a bit less focused, and they didn't go for the same vibe with the soundtrack this time.

ENDING (VERY VAGUE) SPOILERS

The ending got the loudest audience reaction I have EVER heard. And I've been to many Marvel premières.
Given that it's "Part 1", does it end on a cliffhanger?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've read that it does end on a cliffhanger.

There weren't any spoilers given, and that's about as much as I know or want to know before I see it tomorrow.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yes. It ends before the climax with just a cut to To Be Continued

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Had a chance to get freebie tickets for Spider-Verse, the monkey's paw curled and I ended up with ones for The Flash instead. Figures. Still, at least Mr Lets Gets Nuts will be there so that's something at least.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Me, an adult man, who knows the rules at Alamo Drafthouse, clapped and stomped and whooped and hollered at the ending of Across the Spider-Verse Part 1. March 2024 can’t come soon enough.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Me, an adult man, who knows the rules at Alamo Drafthouse, clapped and stomped and whooped and hollered at the ending of Across the Spider-Verse Part 1. March 2024 can’t come soon enough.

The lady next to me was like "Mmmmhmmm they better release part 2 TOMORROW"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Across the Spider-Verse is just incredible. The opening sequence is jaw dropping and that ending loving rules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a theme this year. Part 1 of Spider-Verse, Part 1 of Mission: Impossible and Fast X ended on a cliffhanger.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen a few things that are forcing me to ask this question.

Does Across the Spider-Verse cross over into the live-action Sonyverse movies?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen a few things that are forcing me to ask this question.

Does Across the Spider-Verse cross over into the live-action Sonyverse movies?

Answering your question: Yes it does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That was really, really good. Can't wait for Part 2.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Codependent Poster posted:

Answering your question: Yes it does.

But maybe not exactly in the way you’re thinking!!!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

But maybe not exactly in the way you’re thinking!!!

I was hoping that the rumors of a live action Miles would stay out of the MCU but I suppose that was always naive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Visually, Across the Spider-Verse leaves Into the Spider-Verse in the dust. It's not even close. There were so many parts where I was in complete awe at what I was looking at.

With so much going on and the added importance of Gwen's character, the pacing is kind of weird. It feels more like a series of episodes stitched together with the way it moves around. This very much is part 1 of a 2-part story, so that makes it hard to really rate it. That said, while Infinity War worked as its own thing if you focused on Thanos as the protagonist, then I guess Across the Spider-Verse works if you think of it as Gwen's movie, with her conclusion opening the doorway to the next film to finish Miles' story.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fantastic movie, Spidey fans will be eating good for a while with this. I loved the expanded character moments; for all the frenetic action this movie has, it gives the main characters much more time to breathe and live in their worlds than ITSV did. Having just watched the first one last night, I enjoyed how much of a direct continuation this is, and how much little background stuff from that comes up in the sequel.

Was it just me or did it seem less focused on the licensed music? It’s still there just didn’t seem as prevalent.

Gavok posted:

With so much going on and the added importance of Gwen's character, the pacing is kind of weird. It feels more like a series of episodes stitched together with the way it moves around.

I had that sense as well, especially with the comic covers. A part of me wonders if an early draft saw this as a show or streaming series that was scuttled to remain a movie, but some artifacts remained.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

For those who have seen it, is it appropriate for a seven year old?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sanschel posted:

Was it just me or did it seem less focused on the licensed music? It’s still there just didn’t seem as prevalent.
Yeah, it leaned harder into the score than the first. I really enjoyed the licensed music integration in the first - the "What's Up Danger" scene is just the perfect scene, and nothing in this hit anywhere near that, but the score here also does some great things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Spider-Verse is unreal. I don't know how to describe it. Simple five-minute stretches of this film are better than entire whole multiple other movies combined. I said when the first film came out that this should revolutionize the entire industry, and the sequel, at least, is following up on that promise.

Darth Brooks posted:

Depends on the seven year-old. There are definitely a couple of scary moments and there are weighty concepts that a young child is either not going to understand or be bored by, but there's nothing particularly graphic or sad beyond your average Land Before Time film or anything. They'll definitely be very entertained by the action, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Depends on the seven year-old. There are definitely a couple of scary moments and there are weighty concepts that a young child is either not going to understand or be bored by, but there's nothing particularly graphic or sad beyond your average Land Before Time film or anything. They'll definitely be very entertained by the action, at least.
Not a child-haver, but I agree with this.

Also, I'm annoyed since I saw it in a 4DX showing, thinking it would be in 3D and it wasn't. I didn't care about the moving seats and poo poo, I wanted to see it in 3D (the first was incredible in 3D), but in looking it up, there's no 3D version at all! I could have saved a couple bucks and/or gone to a better theater!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah there's nothing inappropriate in there. Even the violent parts aren't like bloody or anything.