Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Breadmaster posted:

There's also the return of token gay character as part of the lead up to the beast, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, Szark who is gay in the execrable fencing arc which is really something to the uninitiated. Among other sins, it's the source of "don't be so clothes-minded."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

4 years into my creative project: hmm,

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

what panoramas

a panorama of asses

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

FlocksOfMice posted:

To be fair, much more powerful artists than him kinda just sorta succumbed to the weight of covid. Gunnerkrigg Court has gotten weird and unsatisfying, Beastars went on a wild hard-turn towards a sudden ending and a joker-pilled villain at the expense of basically its entire plot, Houseki no Kuni updated like 3 times in the past 3 years,

so like i'd give my sympathies but still skimming original deegan i don't think there was ever THAT much potential here

but like yeah the opening to legacy was still way way stronger than the roaming incoherent stream of consciousness it became
The Beastars ending really did just come out of nowhere. That last arc felt like it should have been the penultimate arc, like it was building up to one more thing and then it just ended. I wonder if it really was because of COVID or if something else was going on behind the scenes. It's really a shame

Mohawk Potato posted:

If I remember correctly this part has my favorite single panel in DD, it is the worst looking stab ever. You are in for a treat as it goes even more downhill rapidly.
oh boy oh boy :neckbeard:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 2, 2023

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I guess "everyone has to be naked" is only when Snout is in control, Jacob has had enough of that poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

copy and paste, copy and paste

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:nallears:

this is the most hosed up wizard of oz expy ive ever seen

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm SO relieved they're not naked

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 2, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm SO relieved they're not naked

yet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turns out Asinotaph means "human centipede"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

rudecyrus posted:

whoa, new blog post!

Holy poo poo I thought you accidentally put the last line in as commentary inside the quotebox but it's real. :eyepop:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The giant Snout and Arudak look like they've just eaten a delicious meal, the girls look like they're about to throw up.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Trapezium Dave posted:

I forgot how many other poachers there were to get murdered in Wild Edge and how all of them got names except the women.

what the gently caress lmao

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mx. posted:

:nallears:

this is the most hosed up wizard of oz expy ive ever seen

Arudak is looking for a heart, Kaianda for a brain, Snout for courage and Idiota just wants some plot relevance?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

CHAPTER 29: WALK THE WILD EDGE

Not sure if I should keep going with this since the comic's (kind of) ending, but gently caress it, full speed ahead.

Just chiming in to say the work you put into laying out/recapping Old Deegan out for us is appreciated. It's really fascinating to see how both comics are bad, but at least Old Deegan was bad in a way where things actually happened.

Also, in regards to Wild Edge, it's been done dozens of times, but better and more interesting and with less weird ableisim. 'Place where the world is infused with wild magic and anything can happen' is a trope in Exalted (The Wyld, unformed chaotic lands at the edge of Creation, probably the most similar to the Wild Edge), D&D (Limbo, and there's even a player character race who live there, the Githzerai, my absolute faves), the Warp and the Eye of Terror in 40k (which are probably off-limits in an Imperial game, but hey, full steam ahead if you're playing Chaos). I'm less familiar with Pathfinder, but there's probably a Chaos-themed plane somewhere there too.

So yeah, Mookie fumbles the ball yet again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Just chiming in to say the work you put into laying out/recapping Old Deegan out for us is appreciated. It's really fascinating to see how both comics are bad, but at least Old Deegan was bad in a way where things actually happened.

Also, in regards to Wild Edge, it's been done dozens of times, but better and more interesting and with less weird ableisim. 'Place where the world is infused with wild magic and anything can happen' is a trope in Exalted (The Wyld, unformed chaotic lands at the edge of Creation, probably the most similar to the Wild Edge), D&D (Limbo, and there's even a player character race who live there, the Githzerai, my absolute faves), the Warp and the Eye of Terror in 40k (which are probably off-limits in an Imperial game, but hey, full steam ahead if you're playing Chaos). I'm less familiar with Pathfinder, but there's probably a Chaos-themed plane somewhere there too.

So yeah, Mookie fumbles the ball yet again.

Pathfinder has a plane formed from actual primordial chaos. The Abyss, current home plane of demons, who took it over from the qlippoths who are eldritch horrors that not even demons want around.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
First bit looks like Jacob fed them to the death vines while they're sleeping... Good.

I thought the circular gate things were supposed to be on your hands and feet? But now they're just connectors between people's hands (and elbow in one case). And the vines are like the silver cord in astral projection?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why does this suddenly feel like the original ending of Evangenlion

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol they all have halos around their heads like they're loving saints or something

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why does this suddenly feel like the original ending of Evangenlion

Because everyone will tell Snout congratulations even though he hosed up badly?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The fact that they're all in the EXACT SAME POSE while resting against the wall makes me think of that dumb bit in Jojo where the stardust crusaders all drink iced tea in unison.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ScienceSeagull posted:

I thought the circular gate things were supposed to be on your hands and feet? But now they're just connectors between people's hands (and elbow in one case).
CITY OF THE ONE GATE PLUS ONE GATE AND A VALENCE GATE IF YOU'RE A GUY AND ON THE END OR TWO VALENCE GATES IF YOU'RE A LADY AND IN THE MIDDLE

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Also, tonight we're running a special promotion, so first-time visitors who haven't undergone the rituals of order and renewal will be issued provisional GATES.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Digging the literal halos. By virtue of being a lying thief and a fascist, respectively, Idiota and Arudak definitely earned them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

No, see Snout unlocked the CITY OF THE FIVE GATES and so they're all sharing his.

They also got three spare GATES as a random drop. They're pretty rare in this part of the map, so they were probably doing a bunch of grinding between strips.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

I guess "everyone has to be naked" is only when Snout is in control, Jacob has had enough of that poo poo.

Check the patch. snout can hear in his dream

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
what if mookie revealed that snout could hear this whole time and he was just being an rear end in a top hat

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Snout's an rear end in a top hat anyway.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 29: WALK THE WILD EDGE (cont)

It's time for more WILD EDGE!

Thank god I don't have to look at the tosser's garbage anatomy anymore. Stunt is immune to physics, somehow.

Decent gag, but WILD EDGE! has been nothing but gags so far. This was the weekend cliffhanger, so on Monday...

...Suddenly, the poachers and mongrelfolk are here in the middle of a herd of not-Tribbles. "Cute fuzzy thing is actually deadly" is something that's never been done before, right?

oh look another human-bodied creature

Another poacher meets a violent, bloody end. Amazing how long these guys have survived, considering they don't know jack poo poo about the local fauna or even how to hunt.

Jaxon stabs GirlBoss for no reason other than EVIL. Everyone has a trapezoid shoved into their pants.

Stunt briefly turns himself into a dummy so the Patriarch ballerina can carry him to safety. I don't get it. Why would these things care? WILD EDGE! Plus, obligatory sexualized dying woman.

Good thing Stunt knew how to fix her injury. Not an expert, but gut wounds tend to be lethal thanks to the high density of blood vessels and your gut bacteria WILL give you sepsis if the intestines are pierced. It's okay though -- this is WILD EDGE!

Incredible dialogue. Don't worry, this isn't setting up a romantic subplot.

"Maybe there's a joke here somewhere" indeed.

What does this thing eat? How the hell does it surface and crawl back underground? I think you know the answer...

WILD EDGE!

Okay, so there are two ginormous mountain-turtle species hanging around WILD EDGE! Hold on -- why did Stunt bring Tank Top onto this thing in the first place? Why not head back to the outpost? How loving big is this place?

And then hundreds of tons of rock fell on them and they died.

You know how I like my action scenes framed? At a flat angle from the side. Yessir, there's nothing more exciting and dynamic than surfing away from a massive rockslide with no sense of motion or scale.

Oh no, she may have popped a stitch after falling off a mountain. Good thing she doesn't have to worry about infection or bleeding to death. And Bortha's here, somehow.

Not creepy or weird at all.

In addition to the internal bleeding and infection, Blonde Greg now has to deal with half-digested rocks and stomach acid on her wound. Because magical healing vomit.

WILD EDGE!

Thanks for the monologue, Stunt.

Next time: WIIIIIIIIIILD EEEEEEDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

I want everyone to look at that stab panel, whenever I think of DD that panel is one of the first I think of. It’s so loving bad there is no weight no motion, it’s like it hovered into her. Not to mention where the other poacher is standing is completely out of position to stab someone with that kind of arm motion. It’s so baffling how he is that bad at composition.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

I want everyone to look at that stab panel, whenever I think of DD that panel is one of the first I think of. It’s so loving bad there is no weight no motion, it’s like it hovered into her. Not to mention where the other poacher is standing is completely out of position to stab someone with that kind of arm motion. It’s so baffling how he is that bad at composition.

Incredible :allears:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

that seems like a lot of oddly placed faith to have in the poorly-conveyed healing virtues of someone's puke, to just let it sit in someone else's festering wound for a couple of hours

like, I'd have tried to clean that up, weirdo that I am

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 3, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SatansOnion posted:

that seems like a lot of oddly placed faith to have in the poorly-conveyed healing virtues of someone's puke, to just let it sit in someone else's festering wound for a couple of hours

like, I'd have tried to clean that up, weirdo that I am

First thing I thought too :hfive:
I'm sure there's some plants around that would do a better job too, a couple of hours seems like a long time for the wound sealing effect to work

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I remember Mookie farthuffing over what he perceived as his own cleverness naming the two redshirts Michael Jackson in the original blog.

Weedle is literally a pokemon.

The beat of one baddie hamstringing another is when they're being chased by a bear or something so it can occupy itself with the downed one and the other one can escape. There is no reason for Jaxon to do this. Like any trope Mookie includes in his comics, he clearly saw this somewhere but did not understand why it was there or what it was doing.

Why did Stunt the he-man woman-hater who has been consistently taking action to murder his coworkers suddenly change his mind here aside from the idiot plot?

Why the star wars prequel origin for stunt's nickname?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mohawk Potato posted:

I want everyone to look at that stab panel, whenever I think of DD that panel is one of the first I think of.
When I think of DD I'm thinking this panel:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

Why did Stunt the he-man woman-hater who has been consistently taking action to murder his coworkers suddenly change his mind here aside from the idiot plot?

So we can see he's only misogynistic in a charming funny good-guy way, not a horrible bad-guy way! As everyone knows, hating women is a neutral character trait and what matters is how it's expressed.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Pyrotoad posted:

So we can see he's only misogynistic in a charming funny good-guy way, not a horrible bad-guy way! As everyone knows, hating women is a neutral character trait and what matters is how it's expressed.

It was rhetorical (in case it was unclear) but yeah, Mookie definitely thinks Stunt is a "cool" misogynist like Han Solo.

Mookie's definitely the kind of shitlib who thinks of bigotry against group x as a character flaw which gives Stunt 10 more skill points for wilderness lore.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

still fondly remember when terraciano decided to explain why stunt hates women and spoilers, it's a woman's fault

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

still fondly remember when terraciano decided to explain why stunt hates women and spoilers, it's a woman's fault

Didn't he go back and edit previous comics to soften Stunt's portrayal, or is that an internet rumour that got out hand?

Like, I know there are some pretty big retcons regarding Stunt, but I don't recall if that's part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

yeah actually they will posted:

Check the patch. snout can hear in his dream

finally, dialogue