Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that the fast travel ability in TOTK makes it into a cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cassette beasts is a Pokémon clone that has the expected “gym leader” system where you encounter captains across the map and fight them for stamps. you glimpse the head captain early in the game and see her one-shotting a bunch of hostile monsters, so you then spend the next twenty-some odd hours leveling up and buying upgrades from the receptionist at their HQ. it should be noted that all the captains fight with a partner (so do you, it’s a two-member party system) but you see the leader duking it out alone

so eventually you fill out the card and the head captain asks if you’d like to challenge her. you accept thinking you know what you’re in for, and then she says “excellent, let me just get my wife” and the receptionist jumps the counter and they beat the living poo poo out of you

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 17:22 on May 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

cassette beasts is a Pokémon clone that has the expected “gym leader” system where you encounter captains across the map and fight them for stamps. you glimpse the head captain early in the game and see her one-shorting a bunch of hostile monsters, so you then spend the next twenty-some odd hours leveling up and buying upgrades from the receptionist at their HQ. it should be noted that all the captains fight with a partner (so do you, it’s a two-member party system) but you see the leader duking it out alone

so eventually you fill out the card and the head captain asks if you’d like to challenge her. you accept thinking you know what you’re in for, and then she says “excellent, let me just get my wife” and the receptionist jumps the counter and they beat the living poo poo out of you

That part made me grin.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cassette beasts is cool as heck. :hai:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Zelda TOTK: When you're climbing, I really like the little effort noises Link makes to let you know you're doing something that costs stamina. Just a gentle 'hup' 'hoot' 'hup' to let you know you're expending it. It reminds me of the sweat drops when you hug a wall but don't move in Celeste.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Override: Mech City Brawl has a mode where you can use two pilots to control the mech; one controls the movement and the left arm and leg, and the other controls the camera and the right arm and leg. It's every bit as goofy and dumb as you expect it to be but makes for a wild time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

credburn posted:

Override: Mech City Brawl has a mode where you can use two pilots to control the mech; one controls the movement and the left arm and leg, and the other controls the camera and the right arm and leg. It's every bit as goofy and dumb as you expect it to be but makes for a wild time

You can get up to four players driving one mech, Sentai-style.

Also play the sequel if you haven't yet, it's flown under everyone's radar and it's a solid little Powerstone knockoff with giant robots. And Ultraman.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm finding cassette beasts ridiculously charming. You wash up on a mysterious island full of the titular cassette beasts, that you battle, record and transform into, to I guess repel the evil forces of capitalism? The music is very good too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Biplane posted:

I'm finding cassette beasts ridiculously charming. You wash up on a mysterious island full of the titular cassette beasts, that you battle, record and transform into, to I guess repel the evil forces of capitalism? The music is very good too.

They really nailed the "photo of a television" aesthetic

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:shobon:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Clapping like a seal in ToTK when I beat a miniboss in a the depths underneath (not really a spoiler, just leaving it so in case people want to find treasure for themselves) Skull Island and was rewarded with Biggoron's Sword.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Played through Star Trek: Resurgence on stream in two big sessions for friends and I gotta say it's full of this stuff. The chapters are like TNG titlecards, the modeling and sets are full of lots of love for the TNG era stuff, it actually feels like a big season long series or two parter, it's wonderful. Lots of jank but I can look beyond that in a heartbeat for something with this much love in it. :allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've tried playing Bayonetta several times over the last decade, but I always bounced right off. This time I'm going for it, and I'm getting into it, but one thing I noticed is that I'm now past the past I got kind of stuck at last time, but I definitely did not fight the boss that had given me issues before. Are there alternate paths in this game? I'm absolutely in a new area, but I definitely did not ever fight the whatever that was discouraging me from before. Or maybe it was patched out for some reason? He wasn't that hard, it just was annoying dodging him + lava + falling bridges etc.

\/\/ it must have, because while I didn't give it a ton of effort, it was a hard enough fight that it made me put the game down and not pick it back up. I think it's kind of funny that what caused me to give up on the game was probably an entirely optional, avoidable thing \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Jun 1, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I've tried playing Bayonetta several times over the last decade, but I always bounced right off. This time I'm going for it, and I'm getting into it, but one thing I noticed is that I'm now past the past I got kind of stuck at last time, but I definitely did not fight the boss that had given me issues before. Are there alternate paths in this game? I'm absolutely in a new area, but I definitely did not ever fight the whatever that was discouraging me from before. Or maybe it was patched out for some reason? He wasn't that hard, it just was annoying dodging him + lava + falling bridges etc.

Bayonetta doesn't have alternate paths as such, but it does have optional fights. They can often be found on side paths or through backtracking, and they do tend to be a bit harder than those that lie on the main path. Might be in your previous attempts you always ran into one of those?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Played through Star Trek: Resurgence on stream in two big sessions for friends and I gotta say it's full of this stuff. The chapters are like TNG titlecards, the modeling and sets are full of lots of love for the TNG era stuff, it actually feels like a big season long series or two parter, it's wonderful. Lots of jank but I can look beyond that in a heartbeat for something with this much love in it. :allears:

I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about this game, but I'm glad to hear it's good. Sometimes the absolute best games are the ones that are a bit jank, but have a lot of heart. Way better than games that are technically polished but just have no soul imo

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about this game, but I'm glad to hear it's good. Sometimes the absolute best games are the ones that are a bit jank, but have a lot of heart. Way better than games that are technically polished but just have no soul imo

Fully agree with ya. I’ll talk about Tokyo Jungle till the day I die. It was janky as all get out but drat if I didn’t sink 100+ hours into it.

Packs of feral Pomeranians taking down a tiger. Playing as a chick and trying to live long enough to grow into a chicken! Hard mode disguised as playing as herbivores! dinosaurs

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Love that in Tears of the Kingdom that most missions will not just plant a point on your map to just get to to do a mission. Most of the time the point on the map is the start of the mission and you'd have to decipher what was said or the mission statement and follow the clues.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Der-Wreck posted:

feral Pomeranians taking down a tiger.

This made me look up if Shu Takumi was involved in Tokyo Jungle. Dude loves him some pomeranians.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mrs Randalor is experiencing the early FFs for the first time through the pixel remasters (except for 2, I don't want her to suffer through that jank). She's started on 5, and already asked "So when does Galuf die? He's old and going to pull a Tellah, isn't he?". I've managed to convince her otherwise using simple logic (Galuf gains job levels, do you really think they would kill him and give you a character with nothing partway through the game?") I'm looking forward to seeing her reaction when poo poo hits the fan :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Der-Wreck posted:

Fully agree with ya. I’ll talk about Tokyo Jungle till the day I die. It was janky as all get out but drat if I didn’t sink 100+ hours into it.

Packs of feral Pomeranians taking down a tiger. Playing as a chick and trying to live long enough to grow into a chicken! Hard mode disguised as playing as herbivores! dinosaurs

Tokyo Jungle being behind the super tier ps+ is criminal

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like the Pebblits in Tears of the kingdom, tiny little Taluses trying to be intimidating.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I like the Pebblits in Tears of the kingdom, tiny little Taluses trying to be intimidating.

Love bullying them, just pick them up and throw them like the rock nerds they are

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TontoCorazon posted:

Love bullying them, just pick them up and throw them like the rock nerds they are

The bully potential is very high in this game. If you pick up a Stalnox's eye after knocking it loose, Link will football punt it away instead of throwing it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite things is how when you're given a yes/no choice the no choice is usually Link being super sarcastic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In Deep Rock Galactic, my scout has unlocked the "Special Powder" mod for his sawed-off shotgun. This mod makes it so that when you fire the gun in midair, you get flung backwards at high speed. It's tremendous fun, and simultaneously makes it more and less likely that I'll die to falling damage :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

Bayonetta doesn't have alternate paths as such, but it does have optional fights. They can often be found on side paths or through backtracking, and they do tend to be a bit harder than those that lie on the main path. Might be in your previous attempts you always ran into one of those?

Yeah, that's pretty standard for Platinum games, Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101 and such do the same thing.

muscles like this! posted:

One of my favorite things is how when you're given a yes/no choice the no choice is usually Link being super sarcastic.

This is about the same in BotW, and it's either that or him being a hilarious rear end in a top hat. Most dialogue for 'Oh hey you have those items I asked for, can I have them?' is either 'Yes' or 'Nope, bye!'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In Deep Rock Galactic, my scout has unlocked the "Special Powder" mod for his sawed-off shotgun. This mod makes it so that when you fire the gun in midair, you get flung backwards at high speed. It's tremendous fun, and simultaneously makes it more and less likely that I'll die to falling damage :v:

This is pretty much the same as and probably a reference to the Force-A-Nature in TF2, with extending jump length and use as (if you time it right) fall damage prevention being intended uses.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In TOTK Link's nose and cheeks get red when you're in cold climates.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

In TOTK Link's nose and cheeks get red when you're in cold climates.

i thought he was just embarassed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tears of the Kingdom: I like how you can explore the underground to find shrines in the main world, and also the same works in reverse where you have a better idea of how to go about things in the underground. Also, Rewind is a really fun combat power, maybe it’s not more useful than killing low level mobs, animals and Pebblits with bombs to save durability, but it’s definitely more fun to stop time and send projectiles back at enemies for either a stun or a guaranteed kill in the case of Octoroks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Last Celebration posted:

Tears of the Kingdom: I like how you can explore the underground to find shrines in the main world, and also the same works in reverse where you have a better idea of how to go about things in the underground.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to notice there was a complete 1:1 correspondence between the shrines and the underground lightroot locations, I knew that every lightroot corresponded to a shrine but not vice versa. I blame my brain struggling with the sense of scale underground, I thought at first that each lightroot was covering a much bigger area so there'd be fewer of them.
But yeah, it's making exploration much more fun going back and forth between the two, it helps a lot with the shrines that are trickier to find rather than just sitting out in the open.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to notice there was a complete 1:1 correspondence between the shrines and the underground lightroot locations, I knew that every lightroot corresponded to a shrine but not vice versa.

It didn't take me long to notice that connection, but it took way longer than it should have for me to notice that the topography of the surface and underground are mirrored - peaks on the surface are valleys in the underground, and vice versa, and bodies of water are walls stretching to the ceiling. It helped me find new paths underground without relying so much on lighting everything up, since i knew where to find gentle slopes and high points to fly around from.

There's also a nice QoL feature where you can switch your map to the surface, exit out, and your minimap will continue showing the surface topography even while underground. You can quickly translate it on your head to know where you're heading before you light up the area.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that minimap feature is fantastic too. I knew there was a general mirroring going on down there, but it helped me figure out what was going on with water. Much more fun to explore down there when you realize the endless cliffs you keep "randomly" running into are actually something you can plan around.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to notice there was a complete 1:1 correspondence between the shrines and the underground lightroot locations, I knew that every lightroot corresponded to a shrine but not vice versa. I blame my brain struggling with the sense of scale underground, I thought at first that each lightroot was covering a much bigger area so there'd be fewer of them.
But yeah, it's making exploration much more fun going back and forth between the two, it helps a lot with the shrines that are trickier to find rather than just sitting out in the open.

Not gonna lie, I only noticed because someone else pointed it out, but I also felt extremely dumb to not realize sooner. I guess the shrine names are 1:1 but really who’s reading those, it’s not like they’re a neat Easter egg like all the locations being names of sometimes super minor NPCs or races/areas. At least as far as I know, they could be phonetically close to developers of prior games…

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The game points out the parallel a couple times, during the quest chains down there and at a couple points with readable notes you find down there. They mention it being an imperfect match, which I guess was meant to reference the terrain, though I kept wondering if it meant I was going to find a shrine/lightroot mismatch eventually.

I made the mistake of trying to randomly explore the depths like I would the overworld early on in the game and the terrain and darkness seem intentionally hostile to that. It is a good dynamic overall once you understand the flow, though. The overworld is easier to explore and find shrines at, which helps direct your ability to find light roots on top of just whichever ones you can visually spot. Once you start filling out the depths map a decent bit, you can see which areas connect to each other and these suspiciously circular unmapped areas to find the rest. Once you do that, you can backtrack to find the surface shrines that weren't easy to find because they were in a cave or tucked behind something or hidden behind a shrine quest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah the text is usually motivated by, "actually, I kinda don't have time for this."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Celebration posted:

Not gonna lie, I only noticed because someone else pointed it out, but I also felt extremely dumb to not realize sooner. I guess the shrine names are 1:1 but really who’s reading those, it’s not like they’re a neat Easter egg like all the locations being names of sometimes super minor NPCs or races/areas. At least as far as I know, they could be phonetically close to developers of prior games…

A couple of them I've found have been Japanese phrases. One was 'yamiyo' (dark night), and there's a shrine called 'ikatak' whose reversed lightroot name is 'kataki' (an old word for grudge or enemy).

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

A couple of them I've found have been Japanese phrases. One was 'yamiyo' (dark night), and there's a shrine called 'ikatak' whose reversed lightroot name is 'kataki' (an old word for grudge or enemy).

That's pretty neat, I just assumed they were all nonsense words that were just going for that linguistic style.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty neat, I just assumed they were all nonsense words that were just going for that linguistic style.

I used to assume the same for all the texts and lettering found throughout the game but almost all the environmental texts say something most of the time related to where they are and is translatable

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
An entire village that speaks in haiku wasn’t what I was expecting from Dragon Quest XI but I really should have known better. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some shrines' locations correspond to different areas of Kyoto, and so do their Japanese names: https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20230523-19069/
:allears: