Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Success of their last game may have nothing to do with their labor decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civ 7 when

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's going to be bad.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

It's going to be bad.

At this point I would not be surprised if Civ7 has in game P2W/mobile style micro-transactions.

"A neighboring civ is invading and your army is away! Its a huge army that will surely take your capital...unless you go to the in game store and buy a Legendary Army Booster Pack! Only 5000 4500 CivGems!"

Or just Gold/Faith/Science/Hammers/Culture boosters.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
You only get one turn per hour unless you buy Command Points from the store

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MH Knights posted:

At this point I would not be surprised if Civ7 has in game P2W/mobile style micro-transactions.

"A neighboring civ is invading and your army is away! Its a huge army that will surely take your capital...unless you go to the in game store and buy a Legendary Army Booster Pack! Only 5000 4500 CivGems!"

I actually think it's going to have some small element of that. I get the feeling that they don't understand the game they are making.

I think they will have something like a custom great person show up, tailored to your exact in-game situation, that you can recruit with CivGems. Then that great person will show up in future games. Not that it matters because there will always be a better custom great person tailored to your specific in-game situation.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 2, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MH Knights posted:

Yeah but Civ 8 is going to be amazing

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civ 6 has too much clicking going on. Recently I went back to civ 4 and 5, and it's crazy how often civ 6 demands your attention.

It's definitely the most 'mobile game' of all the civs. I still have close to 1000 hours in it though, but it's my least favorite in the series.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think a lot of that came from the expansion mechanics, with the exception of policy cards? Govoners, heroes, those infernal policy cards, natural disasters are all things I could do without. When playing other 4x games and coming back the thing that bugged me the most was how allies expire every 30 turns for no good reason. Now that I think about it there's also "unit needs an order", but to be fair it was certainly worse in civ5.

But yea I agree, there's a lot of simultaneous systems. My person pet peeve is something will fire off, or you'll be looking at at a discount, and be thinking "aw christ where did the this bonus come from?", because there's so many drat subsystems all doing things and none of it's tabulated anywhere. That being said, going back to single-tile cities is a no-no, I think every other IP has latched onto the idea and done well for it, I couldn't imagine playing without them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I really don't care about that, as long as they keep the game open to modding. Let me play as Superman against Spiderman with dinosaur barbarians :thanks:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

John F Bennett posted:

, but it's my least favorite in the series.

Incredible amount of civ2 love going on here

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

Civ 6 has too much clicking going on. Recently I went back to civ 4 and 5, and it's crazy how often civ 6 demands your attention.

Serephina posted:

I think a lot of that came from the expansion mechanics, with the exception of policy cards? Governors, heroes, those infernal policy cards, natural disasters are all things I could do without. When playing other 4x games and coming back the thing that bugged me the most was how allies expire every 30 turns for no good reason. Now that I think about it there's also "unit needs an order", but to be fair it was certainly worse in civ5.

Add super specific spy missions to that list. Do I really have to send my spy to a different, specific district every X turns?

Ever tried to play a great person focused game? Well you have to check that screen every turn because you're competing for specific great people now, and you never have any indication that someone is beating you unless you check that screen. Of course, your opponent can just buy that great person right from under you, even if you wasted that last 20 turns checking that screen.

Hey look, King Arthur has interrupted my screen to ask if I want to declare war on Narnia. Can I check who Narnia is allied with: no. Can I get my map back for a second and check out Narnia's lands: no.

And what I consider the worst sin in the game: Not being able to build on strategic resources. The game wants you to meticulously lay out cities for adjacency bonuses, so you spend 10 minutes at the beginning of the game planning out this great city(as the game wants you to do), and then iron pops up in one of your hexes and defeats the entire gimmick of the game.

It's not a serious game, and every expansion only required more attention for less benefit. That's why I'm apprehensive about VII. VI seems more like the result of a company that doesn't understand their own game on the most basic level rather than a bad fluke.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Civ 6 is a good game, but could have been a lot better

For me it seems it got dropped to early, got too few patches, and the devs never seemed to listen to the players feedback

So we have this gorgeous game with lots of cool concepts but that were never polished and developed enough, and so many stupid stuff nobody likes. And than this even more stupid AI to play against

Theres a lack of effort and love for the game thats very noticeable. Civ 4 and 5 are games that were made with a lot more care, and it shows

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 2, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

And what I consider the worst sin in the game: Not being able to build on strategic resources. The game wants you to meticulously lay out cities for adjacency bonuses, so you spend 10 minutes at the beginning of the game planning out this great city(as the game wants you to do), and then iron pops up in one of your hexes and defeats the entire gimmick of the game.

I like civ 6 (as is attested by the embarrassing number of hours I’ve played it) but this is also my number 1 gripe. Why the gently caress am I not allowed to build on a resource when I can settle on one? :psyduck:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There are oil rigs hidden all over LA so it's not even a realism thing.

I do really like the natural disasters though. Its at the point where I find the maps in other 4x games to be too static and uninteresting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

I like civ 6 (as is attested by the embarrassing number of hours I’ve played it) but this is also my number 1 gripe. Why the gently caress am I not allowed to build on a resource when I can settle on one? :psyduck:

When you settle on one, you get access to it when you get that tech. When you build on resources with the wrong improvement, you destroy them. I inferred that they wanted harvesting resources to be a "thing" but not have games where one player harvested all the strategic resources on others' land, or worse, inadvertently harvested their own, locking them out of tech.

It's still not super sensible, but I would vote espionage and religious clickery off the island long before the resource thing. I don't feel I need to have perfect cities when I can just settle or conquer more cities.

I really like governors, districts, and the idea of policy cards (as well as about a quarter of the actual cards).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Religious combat was the worst idea ever

Espionage being per district also a very bad idea

And I just hate the world council, much worst than it was in Civ 5, even though DPs arent a bad concept

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

And I just hate the world council, much worst than it was in Civ 5, even though DPs arent a bad concept

I forgot about that. Holy poo poo was that bad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's not that governors or policy cards are intrinsically bad, it's just that they require such constant, intense micromanagement. Popping Magnus around to coincide with your chops is annoying busywork, but having the ability to shuffle your policy cards every 1-5 turns is *absurd*. Age dedications are a much better way of doing policy cards, and that just leads into my prior complaint about there being way too many drat unrelated systems.

Oh and thanks for reminding me about the world council, christ what a shitshow.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder how many more clicks the game asks for compared to civ 5. Like if you just took a representative 20 turns or so from the midgame, ignored unit movement, and counted up the clicks.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Policy cards should only be changeable with government reformation, except when getting new slots/old ones being deprecated. Strict upgrades should be automatic.

Relatedly, changing government type should probably be a bigger decision than it is currently.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like policy cards and all but I think Civ 5 for culture was actually better, even though it was so unbalanced

In Civ 5 culture was about choice, since you could only pick a few trees. And than later in the game in had to pick again, for ideology. The result was that culture/ideology picks conferred variety and personality to each player (and each playthrough), and allowed the formation of the big late game blocks based on ideology. The problem was that some picks were clearly much better than the others, but it was good system

In Civ 6 culture is just another, parallel tech tree you have to research, theres no ideology in a meaningful way, and a government is just a set of bonuses and slots

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 2, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

homullus posted:

I really like governors, districts, and the idea of policy cards (as well as about a quarter of the actual cards).

I also enjoy the government/policies mechanic. In 2, 3, and to a lesser extent but still there in 4 there were objectively optimal governments or civics to take at various points in the game and it took a lot of fun out of the sandbox experience. Even if most of the policy cards are poo poo in 6 I always feel like there's stuff to be mixed up at any point in the game.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I like policy cards and all but I think Civ 5 for culture was actually better, even though it was so unbalanced

In Civ 5 culture was about choice, since you could only pick a few trees. And than later in the game in had to pick again, for ideology. The result was that culture/ideology picks conferred variety and personality to each player (and each playthrough), if, and allowed the formation of the big late game blocks based on ideology. The problem was that some picks were clearly much better than the others, but it was good system

In Civ 6 culture is just another, parallel tech tree you have to research, theres no ideology in a meaningful way, and a government is just a set of bonuses and slots

Civ BE (the one we don't talk about) had an even better "culture" tree, it's a shame they didn't pick it up for the other games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chikimiki posted:

Civ BE (the one we don't talk about) had an even better "culture" tree, it's a shame they didn't pick it up for the other games.

I was thinking this. And actually playing it the other day, because the atmosphere and a lot of decision gimmicks were fun to have. It added more variety and a lot of things felt situational instead of purely optimal.

It was also cool that there are different ways to reach different goals (for example, multiple ways to go about refilling or getting more charges for exploration).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

BE really suffered from cowardice. Look at this strange new world. I wonder what exciting abilities I will be able to exploit in order to conquer it.

+10% in combat. oh.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

One of the core problems with policy cards is the “governments” unlocking is such a huge power up and gives you a chance to reform every policy card so instead of building a government from scratch like “my civ is focused on building cavalry and research with free thinking ideals but a Barbaric code of laws” you just get “My communism has 10 more hammers per city than your communism”

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, Humankind tried to do that sort of evolving government style stuff. They uh, maybe leaned into it in the wrong way.

Also BE's problems where nothing to do with design choices, the game is nearly unplayable due to the AI not knowing how to do basic actions. It's like they cut out the Civ5 code, dumped it into a new game, and the poor thing is a transplanted brain trying to control an octopus's body and just limply flinching at the bottom of the pool.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BE really suffered from cowardice. Look at this strange new world. I wonder what exciting abilities I will be able to exploit in order to conquer it.

+10% in combat. oh.

I feel like they were on the way to fixing that based on the expansion where they double down on the player being able to do crazy unbalanced nonsense just because they can instead of trying to be a "real" strategy game. But by that point it was far too late...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I know the mechanics are the most enduring reason AC has continued to be hailed but the personalities are the most accessible reason people point to it as a triumph.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The BE expansion made the game a lot blander because every single player just ends up with a similar mix of all affinities. Also that tech web. It was so confusing to figure out what to research next and the size made it difficult to even get an overview and tell what you have available. But the worst thing was how much potential it had. Or could have had.

The floating cities you could move around on the ocean was a lot of fun though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I will never have more fun with a Civ game than I did when using my core cities as an assault element against another player's coastline. 10/10 game, no notes.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Satellite layer in Beyond Earth was great

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Going to just Kramer into the thread here real quick because I'm getting very frustrated with my experience. I picked the game up on Switch for cheap with the expansions and... I don't really get it. I blew so many hours into civ v and it was brilliant. This feels like it has too many moving parts and breaks my brain because I never seem to be doing the right things at the right time. Everything I've read says wide is the only way to play, but constantly pumping out settlers early means any civ with ancient/classical era bonuses are gimped by never having population enough to produce for those eras. The cards are weird as hell as a choice and the governors I'm even less sure on how to optimally use. Should I be leveling one gov early or spread out a bunch of low level ones? Religion is nigh impossible to ever found even to just have a native religion as a defense against other civs going for that victory. Wonders are seemingly pretty garbage, which is just downright shameful. The crowning glory of it's system, Districts, seems to really run counter to my sensibilities from V about improving tiles to be workable by as large a pop as i can support. I'm just loving lost.

Add to this that after one successful game as Korea (won by diplomscy when I was shooting for science...) i wanted to try a domination game to paint the map so I have been banging my head in playing Ambiorix and holy poo poo is warfare nonsense. 150 turns in and I've sacrificed all my production towards pumping out these units, seem to be moving along at a decent pace, and the god drat city-state I'm at war with upgrades to men-at-arms out of the blue and suddenly my army is just getting slaughtered, putting all the opportunity cost of producing and supporting a military down the drain. That's when they aren't just purchasing half a dozen ranged units that gently caress my poo poo up just arriving to the scene. Moving units over all these hills and forests and otherwise always dense terrain makes me weep for the idea of cavalry or chariots ever seeing use.

How the hell do I play this game, goons?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Start by playing a few games with just the base game. The expansions add layers of complexity for the sake of extra layers of complexity.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
lower the difficulty

im serious, don't give the AI bonuses when you start out

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Syrnn posted:

Everything I've read says wide is the only way to play, but constantly pumping out settlers early means any civ with ancient/classical era bonuses are gimped by never having population enough to produce for those eras. The cards are weird as hell as a choice and the governors I'm even less sure on how to optimally use.

Magnus the governor has a promotion that eliminates the population cost for settlers trained in his city. You would need one title to get Magnus, and one more title to get that promotion, so you can get it very early. I recommend starting with that, at a lower difficulty level.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

homullus posted:

Magnus the governor has a promotion that eliminates the population cost for settlers trained in his city. You would need one title to get Magnus, and one more title to get that promotion, so you can get it very early. I recommend starting with that, at a lower difficulty level.

Enjoy doing this in a city with the 50% settler prod bonus gov plaza building. Just machine gun firing out new settlements in the mid game

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

Enjoy doing this in a city with the 50% settler prod bonus gov plaza building. Just machine gun firing out new settlements in the mid game

Alternately, buying them with faith and gold in a monumentality golden age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

locust mode is the greatest