Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, but the guy in the FT article is just measuring the difference between Millennials and the general population. It's not specifically measuring the transition of Millennials as they age. Millennials can still be getting more conservative as they age AND simultaneously be less conservative than previous generations (which is also what the NYT article says).

Show where this is done in the United States studies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Debt ceiling raised until 2025.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Bad things only need a simple majority. It's just good things that need 60 votes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why did this get a probe? Isn't this just lamenting an ongoing issue?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kavros posted:

their 'show up whenever spoken about even slightly and attempt to criminally harass people into silence' years are mostly behind them. they were actually such zealous harassers and suppressors that they were instrumental in helping establish protections for the earlier internet against assault

and were also vital in helping wikipedia learn you couldn't just let everybody contribute

The whole Chanology thing actually was pretty successful by all measures, Scientology really couldn't handle the open mockery and attention because they simply don't have any other mode of interaction with outsiders that isn't harassment or recruitment. Mormons at least have a thing about presenting as wholesome and friendly, even if they do as much horrible religious poo poo on personal and political levels.

bobua posted:

I feel like only a few years ago my friends who always had weed on them were super cautious when driving, scared to death of being pulled over. I'm curious if that's still the case these days even here where its still illegal but I think a small ticket at most.

Still absolutely the smart thing to do because there's a good chance they're in the categories of people more likely to be pulled over, and more likely to be executed for it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 2, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

marshmonkey posted:

Debt ceiling raised until 2025.

we did it, everyone

really goddamn intensely interested in the implementation of the snap/tnaf thing, that's the one part of the deal I'm worried about even with the (massive) expansion of sub-50 support

everything else is either Fine or Whatever (looking at you, 12% cutback to the IRS "maybe we should audit the rich sometimes" program)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Apparently Jamie Foxx had a stroke because of the Covid vaccine? So says The Internet. :rolleyes:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-drew-airs-wild-anti-vax-conspiracy-about-jamie-foxxs-medical-emergency

Honestly, that fool who started the anti-vax movement back in the 90s, that fake link to autism, needs to be held accountable for the damage he has done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VorpalBunny posted:

Apparently Jamie Foxx had a stroke because of the Covid vaccine? So says The Internet. :rolleyes:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-drew-airs-wild-anti-vax-conspiracy-about-jamie-foxxs-medical-emergency

Honestly, that fool who started the anti-vax movement back in the 90s, that fake link to autism, needs to be held accountable for the damage he has done.

Andrew Wakefield, let's not forget his name. He's up there in the pantheon of greats along with Thomas Midgeley. Best not to think of him as a fool though because he personally profited from that bullshit.

E: apparently he also recently dated Elle MacPherson :dogstare:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

VorpalBunny posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Andrew Wakefield, let's not forget his name. He's up there in the pantheon of greats along with Thomas Midgeley. Best not to think of him as a fool though because he personally profited from that bullshit.

Wakefield revitalized the antivax movement, but it's been as old as vaccines themselves- and has always centered around the financial incentives of people who were offering alternative treatments, or had some other profit motive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Failed Imagineer posted:

wakefield is much worse than midgeley, because I'm reasonably confident that Midgeley was well-intentioned and just either bad at downstream side effects, or cursed by an actual literal witch

the man wound up dying when his elderly-person-mobility-assistance contraption strangled him to death, i'm fairly certain he really believed in his inventions

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hbomb's vaccine video is very good and goes into just how much Wakefield is a massive piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIcAZxFfrc

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

wakefield is much worse than midgeley, because I'm reasonably confident that Midgeley was well-intentioned and just either bad at downstream side effects, or cursed by an actual literal witch

the man wound up dying when his elderly-person-mobility-assistance contraption strangled him to death, i'm fairly certain he really believed in his inventions

I'd maybe give Midgeley a pass on freon, but not leaded gasoline. Lead had been known for centuries to cause all sorts of problems - it wasn't some newfound discovery. He was an early case of :capitalism: with the training of an engineer, and the ethics education of a toddler.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

As a USCE lurker the worst thing is when someone asks a genuine question about rules or procedures and then immediately after there’s a flood of posters tripping over themselves to reply with a “lol because only bad things happen” snark response. It adds nothing to the conversation, gets posted over and over again and I know I’ve had questions I want to ask the thread but never go because I know Its rare to get an actual honest answer.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Contrast their answer with Main Paineframe and haveblue, who not only identified it as a weird quirk of the Congressional Review Act but then provided some detail into the unintended consequences of said act (that it's really only effective when you're rolling back regulation from the last administration) that actually provide some citations as to why the system is broken.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

It’s so funny how the entire leadership of the Democratic Party seems to be aware of how frail and decrepit this senile old bag of bones is, but there’s just nothing that can be done about it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’s so funny how the entire leadership of the Democratic Party seems to be aware of how frail and decrepit this senile old bag of bones is, but there’s just nothing that can be done about it.

Wouldn't him tripping over a sandbag and not getting injured mean he's not frail and decrepit? Although, his observation skills could probably use some work...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

As haveblue said, it was a resolution using the Congressional Review Act, a 1996 law that created a special filibuster-proof fast-track process for Congress to overturn any agency regulation by simple majority within a certain time period.

If you've never heard of it before, it's because even though the law was passed in 1996, it had only been successfully used to remove a rule once prior to the Trump administration. This is because CRA resolutions are actually extremely unlikely to work. Sure, they bypass a filibuster, but the president can still veto them and is typically very likely to do so. Overriding a veto takes even more votes than ending a filibuster does, so CRA resolutions end up being mostly for show.

The only real use that's been found for the CRA process is for a new president with a friendly Congress to overturn rules passed in the last few months of the previous president's administration. When Trump took office, the GOP used it to kill a handful of Obama administration regulations from the second half of 2016, and when Biden took office, the Dems used it to kill a few Trump administration regulations from the second half of 2020.

I remember being frustrated that it seemingly wasn't being used nearly as much under Biden for Trumps many odious new rules as Trump did in his first few weeks. There was so much bad poo poo issued towards the last few weeks of Trumps admin.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

He immediately recovered after tripping on something which is sort of the opposite of frail and decrepit?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bwee posted:

He immediately recovered after tripping on something which is sort of the opposite of frail and decrepit?

Did we watch the same video? He fell, his hip immediately shattered, his femur snapped in half and penetrated his leg, and his pants ripped off showing him wearing a Depends that he was uncontrollably making GBS threads and pissing in, all while he sobbed and sincerely asked if we had defeated Hitler yet. Absolutely a walking corpse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're lucky a massive conspiracy replaced Biden with a body double months ago

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Biden's hustling around is probably dangerous at his age all the same since even if he's taking spills all right there's a matter of luck involved and any injury can spiral as you get older. We should have younger presidents. As always though, the biggest reason why his age never hurt him in the past election, and probably won't hurt him in the next, is because the attacks came overwhelmingly from vocal backers of "even older guy" or "nearly as old guy but in visibly worse shape." Even people who aren't deep into politics to know much about policies or past histories picked that up, and it totally defanged criticisms about his age.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
As Biden has gotten older he's also gotten more open to progressive ideas.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking back to the debt ceiling deal moving the requirements on SNAP around

https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/medicaid-unwinding-state-data-coverage-loss/

quote:

More than 600,000 Americans have lost Medicaid coverage since pandemic protections ended on April 1. And a KFF Health News analysis of state data shows the vast majority were removed from state rolls for not completing paperwork.

Under normal circumstances, states review their Medicaid enrollment lists regularly to ensure every recipient qualifies for coverage. But because of a nationwide pause in those reviews during the pandemic, the health insurance program for low-income and disabled Americans kept people covered even if they no longer qualified.

Now, in what’s known as the Medicaid unwinding, states are combing through rolls and deciding who stays and who goes. People who are no longer eligible or don’t complete paperwork in time will be dropped.

The overwhelming majority of people who have lost coverage in most states were dropped because of technicalities, not because state officials determined they no longer meet Medicaid income limits. Four out of every five people dropped so far either never returned the paperwork or omitted required documents, according to a KFF Health News analysis of data from 11 states that provided details on recent cancellations. Now, lawmakers and advocates are expressing alarm over the volume of people losing coverage and, in some states, calling to pause the process.

Quite a bit more and a bunch of graphs at the link showing specific state breakdowns and some more about how ugly it's getting.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Morrow posted:

As Biden has gotten older he's also gotten more open to progressive ideas.

A fairly common phenomenon among politicians. You never really hear an interview with retired senators saying, “Yeah, I wish I were more right wing back then on segregation/Vietnam/take your pick.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Progressives are the only ones who want to govern. Centrists just want to conduct business and the right wants to burn it all down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kalli posted:

Thinking back to the debt ceiling deal moving the requirements on SNAP around

https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/medicaid-unwinding-state-data-coverage-loss/

Quite a bit more and a bunch of graphs at the link showing specific state breakdowns and some more about how ugly it's getting.
This was entirely predictable

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Imagine being termed out of student-loan forbearance at the same time you're dropped from the Medicaid rolls for not filling out the paperwork properly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

Why should we care who she's shilling for or why? ra Reade is, and able to do much more in service of far larger-ranging plans.

Dunno why "we" should care

I'm married and kids to a russian, got friends dead in ukrainian earth, that we is me, gently caress Reade for being Putin's lapdog, gently caress Biden too, this is why I care

gently caress you for asking why éwe" should care

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 2, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

edit this was a lovely post and I apologize

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I get email from my old congressional district, and the Republuican was touting "biggest spending cut ever!!!" and... uh, I dodn't think they got that much cut.

EDIT: I think this is "one werid trick" by counting not increasing the buget next year?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

I get email from my old congressional district, and the Republuican was touting "biggest spending cut ever!!!" and... uh, I dodn't think they got that much cut.

EDIT: I think this is "one werid trick" by counting not increasing the buget next year?

One weird trick of unprecedented pandemic spending the last two years stopping, so yeah basically.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

This week in "Obama gave everyone healthcare" as the focus-group-tested trope goes: This Nonprofit Health System Cuts Off Patients With Medical Debt

Cliffs:

* "non-profit" does a lot of heavy lifting

* Allina has talking points & procedures for 86ing patients with prior medical debt

* Their cutoff for providing patients services is less than the standard deductible on bronze ACA plans (sucks to be a poor)

* Around one out of every three Americans has medical debt

* There are no federal laws spelling out how much unpaid care non-profit hospitals should provide

* Electronic medical systems are used to deny patients care as well as access to medical records they may need for education or work

* Allina lies and/or obscures its policy to not treat patients who owe money to them

* Going on a payment plan for medical debt isn't good enough; patients can't book appointments until the balance is fully paid off

gently caress the US healthcare system. If I had the wealth to spend my time freely I would make it my mission to not stop until poo poo like this was destroyed.

This is an example of US profit model twisting the exemptions carved out originally for Catholic Hospitals that tended to provide charity care to the infirm. Hospitals as they exist now are non-profit in name only. It all needs to burn down.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The fact that anything in healthcare is even allowed to be for profit outside of elective non-medical plastic surgery is completely insane and antithetical to the entire point of healthcare. Like why do we even allow for profit insurers to exist? Their profit motive is literally in direct conflict with their ostensible purpose. In a just world, the people responsible for those algorithmic denials would be marched into the public square and set on fire.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

gently caress the US healthcare system. If I had the wealth to spend my time freely I would make it my mission to not stop until poo poo like this was destroyed.

This is an example of US profit model twisting the exemptions carved out originally for Catholic Hospitals that tended to provide charity care to the infirm. Hospitals as they exist now are non-profit in name only. It all needs to burn down.

I was at a BernieCare* clinic today & some guy had to pony up payment for his last exam before they'd see him again. He owed $35.

* federally funded health center

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Professor Beetus posted:

The fact that anything in healthcare is even allowed to be for profit outside of elective non-medical plastic surgery is completely insane and antithetical to the entire point of healthcare. Like why do we even allow for profit insurers to exist? Their profit motive is literally in direct conflict with their ostensible purpose. In a just world, the people responsible for those algorithmic denials would be marched into the public square and set on fire.

When you make tens of billions a year you can afford a lot of lobbyists.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Professor Beetus posted:

If not for the medical debt absolutely crushing your finances, what incentive would people have not to jump leg-first into a wood chipper?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Scientology is becoming a smaller, but more intensive cult. It’s a natural progression with this kind of thing. David Miscavige is still doing great and they’re pulling in more money than ever. It’ll die eventually, but it will be much longer than you think.

It'll just be a quick Jaunt.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Tim Alberta, from the Atlantic, spent a year with CNN's CEO Chris Licht. It's a long article, but it perfectly encapsulates the Elon Musk school of thought. Dunning-Kruegering so hard that your idiocy and naivete convince you that you are "above the fray". Your lack of self-reflection and curiosity allow you to fall into every trap right-wing operatives lay out for you. And your unearned self-confidence making you think you know more than seasoned professionals while, at the same time, not realizing you're a puppet for your conservative boss.

The article is behind a paywall and it's too long to post, so I snipped my favorite parts because it highlights just what a moron this guy is. You can still read the article if you open it in a private browser window.

Inside the Meltdown at CNN

The Atlantic posted:

But anxieties grew as the town hall approached. Employees found it strange that none of the CNN anchors who’d interviewed Trump—Anderson Cooper, Jake Tapper, Erin Burnett, Wolf Blitzer, Chris Wallace—was invited to play a role in preparing for the event, whether by shaping questions, suggesting best practices, or simply advising Collins. Trump speculated on social media about the town hall turning into a disaster, prompting fears among executives that he might stage a stunt by walking off the set, which in turn prompted fears among staffers about what, exactly, the network would do to keep Trump on the set. In the final days before the event, concerns about the audience makeup spiked as Licht’s description of the crowd—“extra Trumpy”—wound its way through Slack channels and text-message threads.

All of these concerns, it turned out, were warranted. Preparation was clearly an issue. Collins did an admirable job but was steamrolled by Trump in key moments; her questions, which came almost entirely from the candidate’s ideological left, served to effectively rally the room around him. Not that the room needed rallying: The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Trump, and because CNN wanted an organic environment, it placed few restrictions on engagement. The ensuing rounds of whole-audience applause—I counted at least nine—disrupted Collins’s rhythm as an interviewer. So did the ill-timed bouts of laughter, such as when Trump mocked E. Jean Carroll, and the jeering that accompanied Collins’s mention of the Access Hollywood tape. By the end of the event, it was essentially indistinguishable from a MAGA rally. People throughout the room shouted, “I love you!” during commercial breaks and chanted “Four more years!” when the program ended.

As attendees emptied into the lobby, it felt as though fans were celebrating the home team’s victory over a hated rival. People I talked with lauded Trump and loathed CNN in equal proportion. Christopher Ager, the state party chair, captured their sentiments best: “We knew that CNN had new leadership. It seemed like they had a different tone, like they were going to be fair to Trump, fair to Republicans. But I didn’t see that tonight,” he said. “This was the old CNN.”

Two hundred fifty miles away, on the set in New York, CNN staffers were perplexed. The initial plan had called for Scott Jennings, a Republican who is less than enamored of Trump, to join his familiar grouping of pundits on the postgame show. CNN had flown Jennings to New York for the occasion. However, hours before the town hall, a switch was announced internally: Byron Donalds would be substituted for Jennings (who wound up coming on the air with another panel much later that night). Donalds, a Republican congressman from Florida, is an election denier—someone who, to use Licht’s language, says it’s not raining in the middle of a downpour. It was enough of a problem for some CNN staffers that Trump, the original election denier, was flouting Licht’s oft-repeated standard. But why was Donalds on CNN’s postgame panel?

This wasn’t the only peculiar personnel move. Sarah Matthews, a Trump-administration official who’d turned critical of her former boss, had been slated to appear on the pregame show. But she was abruptly nixed in favor of Hogan Gidley, a former White House staffer who remained devoted to Trump.

Live television is a volatile thing. People and sets and scripts are always being changed for all kinds of reasons. Still, CNN employees had reason to be suspicious. They wondered if some sort of deal had been cut with Trump’s team, promising the placement of approved panelists in exchange for his participation in the town hall. At the least, even absent some official agreement, it seemed obvious that CNN leaders had been contorting the coverage to keep Trump happy—perhaps to prevent him from walking offstage. At one point during the pregame show, when the words sexual abuse appeared on the CNN chyron, one of Licht’s lieutenants phoned the control room. His instructions stunned everyone who overheard them: The chyron needed to come down immediately.

When the town hall ended, two postgame panels kicked off concurrently, giving network executives the flexibility to switch between reporting and analysis. One panel, anchored by Tapper, was a roundtable of journalists picking apart Trump’s lies. The other, led by Cooper, featured partisan pundits—including Donalds—debating one another. According to the mission that Licht had articulated for me, Tapper’s panel should have starred that night. But it didn’t. Licht made the call to elevate Cooper’s panel (a fact first reported by Puck). This decision may or may not have come from the very top: In the days after the town hall, Zaslav told multiple people that Tapper’s Trump-bashing panel reminded him of Zucker’s CNN. Yet even that MAGA-friendly version wasn’t good enough for Donalds. After criticizing the network on-air, the congressman stepped off the set and then, in full view of the crew as well as his fellow panelists, grabbed his phone and started blasting CNN on Twitter.

They gave Donald Trump a stage, with an unprepared host, an audience full of loyal "ride-or-die" fans, replaced on-air commentators with pro-Trump Republican shills, AND THE RIGHT STILL poo poo ALL OVER HIM! Licht and his lackeys gave Trump exactly what he wanted because he stupidly thought that throwing facts at Trump would be both entertaining and informative. It didn't. It showed Trump's audience that he was able to withstand the nasty attacks, vanquish the "fake news" network, be applauded for it, and be validated by the panelists.

And everybody told him exactly what would happen and, surprise surprise, it happened.

The Atlantic posted:

Right on cue, one of Luntz’s students asked Licht about the trap of false equivalency. She seemed less interested in litigating the respective crimes of Fox News and MSNBC—though that played into her question—and more concerned with Licht’s overall attitude toward the news. There is, she reminded him, “one truth” on some fundamental questions facing the country. Trump had lost the 2020 election; Barack Obama had been born in the United States; we know how many deaths have been caused by COVID.

Licht pounced. “Wait a second. We don’t know how many deaths there were from COVID,” he said.

She frowned at him.

“No, really, we don’t,” Licht said. As the son of a doctor, he believed there were “legitimate conversations” to be had about the death toll attached to COVID-19. Perhaps some patients had been admitted to hospitals with life-threatening illnesses before the pandemic began, then died with a positive diagnosis, Licht postulated. “Where we run into trouble is when you say, ‘No. Come on. We’re not even having that conversation,’” he told the students. “That goes to trust as much as anything else. If you’re solid on your facts, then you should be able to entertain that discussion.”

Licht conceded that mollifying the right with a both-sides approach was “the biggest concern in my own organization.” But he wasn’t backing down. It had been unfair, he said, to paint everyone who had questions about the accuracy of death counts as “COVID deniers.” It was dishonest to frame the final pandemic-era bailout as “You’re either for this rescue bill, or you hate poor people.” He gave them his favorite analogy: We can debate whether we like rain or we don’t like rain, as long as we acknowledge when it’s raining outside.

The dumbass doesn't realize that deciding which truths deserve questions and which don't is already picking sides! He's so dumb that he doesn't know that entertaining questions on certain truths is the very definition of "both-sides" journalism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CNN is falling into the same trap that they did in 2016 with Trump, but this time it’s that they think they are doing the right thing by platforming him. At least in 2016 it was Zucker just going for ratings.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
our oligarchs are all so incredibly loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Intelligence doesnt generate shareholder value.