Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Man, I just want to kind of appreciate that some of these side quests are legit....decent? Like it's still diablo so they're mechanically simple but there are actual side stories with multiple chapters, and the various villages and towns actually change depending on what you do.

Some of the MMO stuff is clunky but they actually kind of succeeded in creating a living world in Diablo and it's impressive.

Just about done in Frigid Peaks and I'm level 30. Total blast so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

tip: Items with +1 to all (type) of skills actually give you the skill when you don't have a point in it. Surprising compared to D2 where that wording would only buff skills you already took.

Found a +1 defensive skills amulet on my sorc, and that saves me a ton of points: I only need lvl 1 frost nova, teleport, and ice armor right now, letting me re-assign 3 points for DPS temporarily.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I assume this gets better but I'm level 11 and I'm fading pretty hard. Not sure if there's any one thing doing it but it just feels like something I've experienced many times before and the thought of spending like 20+ hours in the story is making me not want to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zephro posted:

A couple of the reviews have mentioned that the game feels a bit over-designed, by which I think they mean very slick and streamlined, but to the point where it starts to lose some personality or sense of achievement. Is that a criticism any of you early-access guys would agree with? I'm still undecided on whether to buy the game.

I'd say that it's much more like a theme park mmo than the other Diablos. There's a lot more modern "content" between the named world dungeons and later on the repeatable strongholds/dungeons and such that feels more like instance running in WoW.

But that's kind of why I like it. I don't think it fundamentally really changes the gameplay of Diablo, just you're running dungeons instead of replaying the campaign to grind. It feels more natural than restarting the same zoned story campaign over and over. Yeah it's not exactly "immersive" but who cares?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

HOW TO HIDE BOW

edit: what i mean to say is this game is really good but i really want to hide my stupid bow that clips through everything all the time

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Steadily making progress and still having fun. The open world is really working for me except for the occasional back tracking required during quests. I'm curious how seasons will be structured because I could see some of these systems, particularly renown and the stat statues, becoming tedious when repeating them every few months. Also curious about the endgame since it seems like it'll take a long time to get there each season.

Also, the world is too drab and the characters too small to give a poo poo about cosmetics, so that's good for me. It's a fine-looking game, but I think I prefer the art style of Diablo 3.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

abigserve posted:

I assume this gets better but I'm level 11 and I'm fading pretty hard. Not sure if there's any one thing doing it but it just feels like something I've experienced many times before and the thought of spending like 20+ hours in the story is making me not want to play.

It does, especially if you're following the campaign.

Level 29 and into Act VI.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Astryl posted:

It does, especially if you're following the campaign.

Level 29 and into Act VI.

Man I guess I need to focus on the campaign a bit, I just finished A1 and I’m….29.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

abigserve posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clocks posted:

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the launch to be as smooth as it was (for me — I'm aware playstation had some issues). Logged in early with no queue, never got DC'd once, didn't even have weird loading issues in zones.

And that was almost assuredly some sort of sony fuckery because PSN was making GBS threads up on SF6 release as well.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

abigserve posted:

It does. You're right on the cusp. Level 15-20 IMO is when the game hits hard. At level 10, the gear drops are crap and it feels like you're working for nothing. I recommend doing every public event you run across. Those give good loot, which pokes the lizard brain a bit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I came in with a lot of hype and found my reaction was mixed.

The game runs well, the environments are very pretty, and it generally feels good to click some monsters to death. Oddly, some skills have downright ugly animations (frozen orb is hideous).

The leveling/skills feel far more anemic when actually playing the game than they did on paper when I read about them before release. I played 6 hours, made it to level 28 on Sorc, and I've already unlocked every ability I'm ever going to use. The skills are also no where near as fun to level. When you take multi-hit with the amazon from level 1 to 20 and see 2 arrows go to 20 arrows, that's a very visceral sense of power. In this one, every skill only has 5 levels, and it's generally just "damage goes up". There's a real lack of power progression and I don't see that changing in the first 50 levels. We will see how the paragon boards play out, but I've looked at them, and even the unique/rare nodes are mostly just passives that make certain builds do better at what they were already doing.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Played a couple hours last night and had a great time. Played about 30 minutes as rogue before switching over to necro and what a blast just shooting bone spears and exploding corpses.

At work now though wishing I was still playing it :(

What’s the consensus on world tier levels? Is it starting at 2?

IMO no, not out the gate from level 1. Not sure when the sweet spot is to switch, but I'm pretty sure enemies taking longer to kill isn't worth the bonus XP at first.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And that was almost assuredly some sort of sony fuckery because PSN was making GBS threads up on SF6 release as well.

I posted in the discord, but the problem immediately resolved itself if you purchased currency through the ps store. So now I have 200 coins that are pretty useless

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sent a request as Gearman#1989

The Butcher showed up and RIP'ed me at level 15, just like how I remember it in Diablo 1.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm about to hit the scene from the trailers with Prava and the Knights Penisent in Hell and I Am Stoked

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Played a couple hours last night and had a great time. Played about 30 minutes as rogue before switching over to necro and what a blast just shooting bone spears and exploding corpses.

At work now though wishing I was still playing it :(

If you've played before, I would start on on T2. You level quite a bit faster. The reason I would not recommend this for first time players is that dungeon bosses and unique mobs in the wild will absolutely wreck players that don't know what they are doing (and even those who do), so you will slam head-first into a brick wall at some point.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Jaytan posted:

The ultimate edition adds a battle pass skip and an emote. The battle pass isn’t out yet. I didn’t actually check on the emote.

Nah, I mean the cosmetics and the horse and that other garbage

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Megasabin posted:

The game runs well, the environments are very pretty, and it generally feels good to click some monsters to death. Oddly, some skills have downright ugly animations (frozen orb is hideous).

The leveling/skills feel far more anemic when actually playing the game than they did on paper when I read about them on release. I played 6 hours, made it to level 28 on Sorc, and I've already unlocked every ability I'm ever going to use. The skills are also no where near as fun to level. When you take multi-hit with the amazon from level 1 to 20 and see 2 arrows go to 20 arrows, that's a very visceral sense of power. In this one, every skill only has 5 levels, and it's generally just "damage goes up". There's a real lack of power progression and I don't see that changing in the first 50 levels. We will see how the paragon boards play out, but I've looked at them, and even the unique/rare nodes are mostly just passives that make certain builds do better at what they were already doing.

Yeah I agree with this. I had been feeling that a level 100 cap was too high before playing and putting it in perspective of skill unlocks has reinforced that for me so far. I’ll withhold full judgment until I experience the endgame

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

explosivo posted:

There may be scaling but I've still run into enemies that were way higher level than I was that absolutely kicked my rear end so it's not like there's no challenge or hard to kill mobs to contend with. It's made grouping with friends so much easier too.

yea but that's a drop in the bucket

like i've got a bunch of side quests which im just skipping because the dungeon that i have to do is out of the way, there's no legendary skill that i want there and i know i'll probably just get a lootbox of herbs or something as a reward.

Megasabin posted:

The leveling/skills feel far more anemic when actually playing the game than they did on paper when I read about them on release. I played 6 hours, made it to level 28 on Sorc, and I've already unlocked every ability I'm ever going to use. The skills are also no where near as fun to level. When you take multi-hit with the amazon from level 1 to 20 and see 2 arrows go to 20 arrows, that's a very visceral sense of power. In this one, every skill only has 5 levels, and it's generally just "damage goes up". There's a real lack of power progression and I don't see that changing in the first 50 levels. We will see how the paragon boards play out, but I've looked at them, and even the unique/rare nodes are mostly just passives that make certain builds do better at what they were already doing.

yea the skills feel very mushy (so far)

crepeface fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I don't know who's all gotten far into the other zones but some of the areas and graphics are absolutely stunning for an aRPG.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

It's not true at all though really, the exact thing happens that I expect to happen when I get a new weapon: enemies I took a while to kill start getting blown in to small bits. Then if I don't get another new weapon for a while it slows down again. The story and leveling work just like I'd expect a game like this to work, and it's good.[quote]

This seems odd, he's quite adamant that the scaling is so aggressive that you don't feel any different when you get a great new item. And he's a big Diablo fan who is recommending the game.

[quote]Having a zone that instantly kills you or one that you're immortal in because monsters can't even hit you is silly and doesn't really add anything to the campaign mode.

If the stuff in an older area is lower level, I should be able to massacre it if I visit it later after I've become more powerful. That's common sense. I shouldn't be rewarded for it, obviously, but I should have no difficulty doing it. If the game doesn't want me to be able to do that, come up with a story reason for me to not be able to. Add shitloads more of the cannon fodder or a reason for something new to inhabit the area, don't make loving sewer rats all of a sudden become rear end-mauling monsters from hell. For that matter, don't give me a reason to need to go back and fight at all if it's not necessary.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

now that everyone has seen the full skills and stuff, is it possible to make a "lazy" build in D4? what classes can make that happen?

like, I'd want a character that autocasts spells or just has minions kill everything without needing to support cast curses all the time or w/e to help the minions

I'm old and I love these games but having to do thousands of button clicks wears on the fingers after a while

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Finally can get on now work done woo

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This has been the smoothest launch of a 'live service' AAA game in recent memory, IMO. So that's something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If the stuff in an older area is lower level, I should be able to massacre it if I visit it later after I've become more powerful. That's common sense. I shouldn't be rewarded for it, obviously, but I should have no difficulty doing it. If the game doesn't want me to be able to do that, come up with a story reason for me to not be able to. Add shitloads more of the cannon fodder or a reason for something new to inhabit the area, don't make loving sewer rats all of a sudden become rear end-mauling monsters from hell. For that matter, don't give me a reason to need to go back and fight at all if it's not necessary.

how dogshit is your build if this isnt how the game is going lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
me: running around blowing up packs of monsters w a single cast, mulching elites etc

you apparently: getting rocked by rats, goblins, light gusts of wind

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Stux posted:

how dogshit is your build if this isnt how the game is going lol

Yeah! lOL!!

Anyway...

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not going to lie though, it feels bad to me with the scaling zones. A skeleton at level 1 is going to feel the same as a skeleton at level 28. It's like I'm getting all this gear, but it just keeps me on par with everything and I don't feel like I'm getting more powerful.

So SkillUp wasn't the only one.

Stux posted:

me: running around blowing up packs of monsters w a single cast, mulching elites etc

I haven't bought the game.

pmchem posted:

I'm old and I love these games but having to do thousands of button clicks wears on the fingers after a while

I'm also old and have played plenty of ARPG clickfests with M/Kb and once I played with a controller I never went back. Yeah, you lose some advantages (targeting, interface navigation) but they are more than made up for with pure fun.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 2, 2023

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd say that it's much more like a theme park mmo than the other Diablos. There's a lot more modern "content" between the named world dungeons and later on the repeatable strongholds/dungeons and such that feels more like instance running in WoW.

But that's kind of why I like it. I don't think it fundamentally really changes the gameplay of Diablo, just you're running dungeons instead of replaying the campaign to grind. It feels more natural than restarting the same zoned story campaign over and over. Yeah it's not exactly "immersive" but who cares?
Thanks everyone for the replies. I liked WoW less and less the more theme-parky it got, personally, but maybe I'll give this a shot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I personally wouldn't recommend T2 even if you've played Diablo before. Things take considerably longer to take down which negates the xp boost you get from it when you can't quickly clear out trash mobs. I'm having a far better time actually killing things on T1 than I was struggling against bosses and poo poo on T2 during the beta. I'm probably going to stick with 1 until I unlock 3 and just skipping 2 altogether once I can hack it in T3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kaddish posted:

This has been the smoothest launch of a 'live service' AAA game in recent memory, IMO. So that's something.
What % of the players bought the early access thing? It's more like friends and family night.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah! lOL!!

Anyway...

So SkillUp wasn't the only one.

I haven't bought the game.

oh so you do nt know what youre talking about lol good poo poo.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Stux posted:

This. Blizzard mastered scaled content years ago in WoW and it shows. Running around on T2 as an earth druid with poo poo gear soloing events that are orange to me because the scaling feels good and I can blown up anything back in the peaks in one shot?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Stux posted:

oh so you do nt know what youre talking about lol good poo poo.

Are you loving stupid? The entire context of my posts has been asking about SkillUp's review comments. I'm getting mixed responses, several people agreeing with him, some not. It's been pretty loving clear that I don't have the game yet.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Oh I dunno, I have a bunch of Lilith statues I found that roughly doubled my early stats, blew some gold and resources on upgrading my gear since it's dirt cheap to do so, and on T2 it feels about as easy/hard as D3 and D2 did. Some bosses took actual focus to dodge around I guess, I'm 28 on Act 3

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Are you loving stupid? The entire context of my posts has been asking about SkillUp's review comments. I'm getting mixed responses, several people agreeing with him, some not. It's been pretty loving clear that I don't have the game yet.

did i ask?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
[pure white noise poster no one has ever clocked or noticed before] dont you know who i am

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm also old and have played plenty of ARPG clickfests with M/Kb and once I played with a controller I never went back. Yeah, you lose some advantages (targeting, interface navigation) but they are more than made up for with pure fun.

I played the beta on the Steam Deck without KBM and it was amazing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zephro posted:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I liked WoW less and less the more theme-parky it got, personally, but maybe I'll give this a shot.

Like I said though, I don't consider that to be a bad thing since it plays into what Diablo is in the same way as it distracted from WoW. Diablo is fundamentally about re-running randomly generated dungeons over and over, just now they are making it a part of the game in a more structured way rather than just replaying the campaign.

Atoramos posted:

I played the beta on the Steam Deck without KBM and it was amazing.

How stable was it with the emulation? I was thinking of downloading it on my deck but since it's brand new thought it might fall apart.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In other news, if you are meh on the OST as I was, I'd highly recommend the Diablo LoFi Beat music instead. I love love love it!! It's on the Diablo channel on YT. I assume it's on Spotify as well but I don't have Spotify so can't verify.