Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I somehow stopped paying attention to what quest line I was following last night when I was tired and ended up fighting some rough act 3 story boss instead of some early act 2 boss and he wiped the floor with my squishy undergeared lvl24 melee rogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

In a lot of cutscenes a small crow shows up and watches what's happening?

IIRC Diablo's human form is a goat, and Baal's is a crow.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Stux posted:

[pure white noise poster no one has ever clocked or noticed before] dont you know who i am

Feeling seen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh no I "dont feel good" today, however will I get through work? Ooh well, I guess I won't! Time to do something else... :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Ooh no I "dont feel good" today, however will I get through work? Ooh well, I guess I won't! Time to do something else... :v:

I regret to inform you that it takes at least 4-5 days to recover from the bug that’s been going around. Happy convalescence goon

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Do clans do anything or is it just an extra ingame chat room and cheevo announcements?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

No Wave posted:

What % of the players bought the early access thing? It's more like friends and family night.

Yep, it's a fair point and the general launch will be a bigger test.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

Do clans do anything or is it just an extra ingame chat room and cheevo announcements?

You also get an extra name over your head

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Stux posted:

[pure white noise poster no one has ever clocked or noticed before] dont you know who i am

What did I ever do to you, sir

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

That's pretty much it for now, a couple of systems are coming in pretty hot (devs mentioned the store is rough and wasn't even ready for the server slam). Have to imagine some secondary systems like clans and leaderboards took a backseat to get the core game running properly on time.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

pmchem posted:

now that everyone has seen the full skills and stuff, is it possible to make a "lazy" build in D4? what classes can make that happen?

like, I'd want a character that autocasts spells or just has minions kill everything without needing to support cast curses all the time or w/e to help the minions

I'm old and I love these games but having to do thousands of button clicks wears on the fingers after a while

Both of my hands are hosed so I'm with you here.

If you're using a controller the game basically has auto-aim.... Most of the time it will cast directly towards the nearest mob.

So I can walk into a pack of mobs and cast chain lightning 3 or 4 times and that will usually end the fight.

You can ALSO make it so pressing a button once will toggle spam that skill. Which might save some clicks but generally doesn't seem worth it.

I have the 8BitDo controller software which allows me to make simple macros. Like pressing 1 button will activate all Barb Shouts. I might eventually try to get AutoHotKey to work but there's some 3rd party crap you have to install to get joypad support.

I think the minion build is supposed to be dog poo poo but you can also give that a shot.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
two legendaries dropped, changed my mind: game rules

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

CuddleCryptid posted:

How stable was it with the emulation? I was thinking of downloading it on my deck but since it's brand new thought it might fall apart.

It ran great and was a blast, but needed a specific version of Proton. I think the latest current version probably works, haven't tested release yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Legendaries start dropping more frequently with levels. I found them almost impossible to get at 20 during the last slam event because I wasnt farming over leveled monsters. They seem to drop way more frequently after 25.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

crepeface posted:

there’s that slot machine logic that’s kept us here for a quarter century

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

crepeface posted:

Skinner Box: activated

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
stayed up til 2am like it was nothing. game good fam

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oooof, I tried using a map to get Lilith shrines but I just ......can't. It's too tedious looking back and forth. Probably screwing myself for down the road.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

stayed up til 2am like it was nothing. game good fam

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Also, for anyone looking for a very active playstyle, I can recommend twisting blades rogue.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
genuinely enjoying the writing in this. can't believe i'm saying that about a blizzard game since... like before diablo 3.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Also this game plays surprisingly great with a controller and I'm not really a controller person.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Man the Rogue just feels so good. I'm only lvl 16 and I'm dashing in and out of combat, dropping caltrops and poison traps and inflicting Vulnerable for high single target damage and everything just combos so well together. They really nailed how it should feel to be a backstabbing ninja class with the controller input. I didn't get to Barb and Necro during the beta but nothing else has come close to hitting this level of "this is a top down action game living inside an aRPG world". Good job, Blizzard.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
genuinely surprised that i am enjoying the story of this game

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm playing through the campaign with an "Every Button is Bear" Druid build and I'm just not feeling it.

Reading all these skill descriptions with their modifies and stuff is completely melting my tiny brain and I want to work out how to make this class feel good. I'm willing to accept not being a bear if that is what it takes.

What is the general vibe of druid that I should be looking for? I'm not looking for "do this exact build" kind of thing just... what skills mesh well and make it feel good. I'd rather not replay any of the early campaign again if I can help it so I'd like to take this character to the endgame.

I guess I'm sort of looking for general buildcrafting advice like should I play with the primary skills and then see which skills look like they should synergise from there?

I see a lot of wolf aspects in the early game which suggest to me they expect me to be rolling a wolf centric build, maybe I'll give that a shot.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

negativeneil posted:

Man the Rogue just feels so good. I'm only lvl 16 and I'm dashing in and out of combat, dropping caltrops and poison traps and inflicting Vulnerable for high single target damage and everything just combos so well together. They really nailed how it should feel to be a backstabbing ninja class with the controller input. I didn't get to Barb and Necro during the beta but nothing else has come close to hitting this level of "this is a top down action game living inside an aRPG world". Good job, Blizzard.

This is how I felt from the very first beta. Blizzard feel and Polish is on point.

Been giving a storm spec druid a go. Lightning storm is dope.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
level 40, time 2 sleep

Smooth game, except for the occasional skill bug that happens randomly

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im doing landslide up to teramotes for guaranteed crit landslides, poison creeper for clearing screens on enemies with one button with its active skill, trample for movement (got the trampleslide legendary so it also drops 6 landslides), wolves now for another single target skill, and wind attack for the 20% move speed, and the earth shield thing to keep up fortity since i have the +2 to earth skills while fortified legendary.

im steamrolling now at level 32 on druid.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

LeFishy posted:

I'm playing through the campaign with an "Every Button is Bear" Druid build and I'm just not feeling it.

Reading all these skill descriptions with their modifies and stuff is completely melting my tiny brain and I want to work out how to make this class feel good. I'm willing to accept not being a bear if that is what it takes.

What is the general vibe of druid that I should be looking for? I'm not looking for "do this exact build" kind of thing just... what skills mesh well and make it feel good. I'd rather not replay any of the early campaign again if I can help it so I'd like to take this character to the endgame.

I guess I'm sort of looking for general buildcrafting advice like should I play with the primary skills and then see which skills look like they should synergise from there?

I see a lot of wolf aspects in the early game which suggest to me they expect me to be rolling a wolf centric build, maybe I'll give that a shot.

I mean, at this point you should take a look at maxroll.gg or something, if you haven't already.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

LeFishy posted:

Generally speaking, look to debuff with your chosen basic—vulnerable is plentiful for all classes and is a straight damage buff for instance—and when you’ve got a little debuff engine going, try to capitalize on that with gear. CC is also pretty useful for bosses. If you CC a boss and fill the stagger bar, the boss will take a huge debuff after that bar is maxed out. In some cases whole attacks will disabled if you stagger it. Before staggering though, CC won’t work on bosses. Think of it like Fromsoft debuff accumulation bars that trigger the effect once maxed. This is all just an aside to say that the debuffs/CC/status effects you can inflict are pretty important in D4.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Taking my time and I'm level 23 in Act 1. I skipped all the dialogue and cutscenes in the beta so playing through Act 1 again wouldn't be as much of a drag.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How are folks' Butcher encounters going? Anyone beat him? I hit him at level 10 with a Druid. That was a sad ending.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm taking a timeout to run across the continent to get a sweet aspect for my build.

Inventory management is BRUTAL. Need more space, or separate tab for gems, or both.

Also put the aspect and gem dealers closer to blacksmith damnit.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kaddish posted:

I'm taking a timeout to run across the continent to get a sweet aspect for my build.

I know open world is not everyone’s cuppa, but this is one of the things I just fuckin love about it. Your leveling progress is really organic and fluid and flexible. Campaign or no campaign, there’s plenty of bullshit out there you can go after on a whim to enhance your build beyond just gear/leveling and I’m here for it. Aspect system is the loving best. Makes character growth less likely to hit a weird snag where you’re missing one vital piece of kit and are forced to trade for or gamble for or wait for it to drop.

It’s also incredibly nice that every rare is just a legendary you’ve not created yet.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

Oooof, I tried using a map to get Lilith shrines but I just ......can't. It's too tedious looking back and forth. Probably screwing myself for down the road.

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Also, for anyone looking for a very active playstyle, I can recommend twisting blades rogue.

this is what I'm doing and it's super engaging

hangry jeep
Apr 27, 2004

I put a request into waffle. My btag is natty#11364.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Astryl posted:

In a lot of cutscenes a small crow shows up and watches what's happening?

IIRC Diablo's human form is a goat, and Baal's is a crow.
Well, there's a quite large crow that is a representation of something else entirely that makes a spectacular appearance around the act 4-5 transition.

Also, the Prava In Hell cinematic that was used for trailers? The whole thing is Diablo Four times longer and I had to take a break after it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Mayveena posted:

How are folks' Butcher encounters going? Anyone beat him? I hit him at level 10 with a Druid. That was a sad ending.

Ran in to him at 15 on my Barb and it did not end well for me. Game has otherwise been pretty smooth sailing.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Who's playing a sorc? What spells and poo poo you guys using I started with frozen orb and it was ok, then j swapped to some arc thing and chain lightning and it is ok, you seem pretty mana starved tho? Haven't had any deaths on veteran or w.e but doesn't seem like screens are exploding like they should be.

There aren't many monsters either

I'm only level 25 so maybe that's it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think Sorc is pretty strange in this game in that the basic & core skills much better than the mastery skills because of the limited mana pool. You will have the most success either going Ark Lash + Chain lighting or Frost Bolt + Ice Shards. Those skills have a lot of ways to generate mana with their enhanced versions or basic aspects gotten from dungeons.

I like reading up on builds in a general way and I have not seen any excitement at all over Frozen orb, Blizzard, Lightning Spear, Meteor, etc... Firewall is allegedly pretty good but falls off towards end game.

Every single sorc build uses 3-4 defensive skills. Especially frost nova, because it's the main source of causing vulnerability, which is a unique 20% damage modifier. So no matter which elemental pathway you choose, make sure to grab mystical frost nova (3 point investment overall)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah I got the ice armor for more maana and Frost Nova and teleport but I just like cast three chain lightning then use my ark or w.e? This is gonna be the whole game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

flashman posted:

Yeah I got the ice armor for more maana and Frost Nova and teleport but I just like cast three chain lightning then use my ark or w.e? This is gonna be the whole game?

Legendaries will change it quite a bit.