Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FootballFreak2 posted:

Like Uh, the story sucks and there’s only a few ways to play each class? Yeah welcome to Diablo. I hope you like spending 100s of hours spamming Frozen orb

imagining someone loading up d2 for the first time today and reacting to 50% of the skill trees being completely unusable lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Launch has been good so far, enjoying playing for realises only downside is the having done the first act twice already in the beta it was a little tiresome but now I’m past that it’s all good

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Also Sorcerer feels weaker than I remember

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

im in wt1 but feel super op as sorc @ ~23

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

euphronius posted:

All imho:

D4 looks better, better animations, better quests, better over-world, better bosses and dungeons, better looking gear

D4 has worse skills, skill trees, items, item interactions with skills

Neutral: classes

I haven’t played endgame yet so who knows about that. Don’t know about crafting
thanks

I'm not super keen on supporting Blizzard as a company anymore but my wife really likes diablo. we're playing grim dawn together and i'm trying to decide what to do with this product. I kind of wish the game was just outright bad so that I wouldn't have to deal with this

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I've been destroying everything playing a lightning sorc in WT2

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

frest posted:

thanks

I'm not super keen on supporting Blizzard as a company anymore but my wife really likes diablo. we're playing grim dawn together and i'm trying to decide what to do with this product. I kind of wish the game was just outright bad so that I wouldn't have to deal with this

It’s not going anywhere . Play through GD first

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
how badly loving tuned is this game early on

barbarian here, I'm getting loving obliterated, should I follow some dumb streamer build at lvl 20 already?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Kawabata posted:

how badly loving tuned is this game early on

barbarian here, I'm getting loving obliterated, should I follow some dumb streamer build at lvl 20 already?

just do more survivability stuff if you are getting owned

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you in world tier 1?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

euphronius posted:

It’s not going anywhere . Play through GD first

oh we have a ton of characters and have already beaten it, but my favorite part is the builds/optimization and so on. diablo 3 was such a disappointing experience for this exact reason

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Looke posted:

Also Sorcerer feels weaker than I remember

They did nerf CL and Hydra a bit from beta, if I remember correctly

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

yeah i did frenzy/ww barb last night on WT2 from lvl 1-17 and had a great time. beat one dungeon boss solo without much issue. haven't invested poo poo into damage reduction, maxed out thorns tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D4 is closer to a 2d Assassins creed game than a grognardy traditional arpg

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PerilPastry posted:

Is tone and the quality of the writing the main difference from D3 would you guys say?

That and the general atmosphere feeling kind of oppressive instead of cartoonishly faux-grimdark like d3 was. It *feels* a lot more like D2 (or path of exile) than D3.

Not having talking heads pop up to monologue evilly at you every five minutes sure does help with that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

D4 is closer to a 2d Assassins creed game than a grognardy traditional arpg

:getin:

This is what I like to hear

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Anyone else playing on controller having a problem picking up gear and auto attackign instead, it's driving me nuts

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fajita Queen posted:

That and the general atmosphere feeling kind of oppressive instead of cartoonishly faux-grimdark like d3 was. It *feels* a lot more like D2 (or path of exile) than D3.

Not having talking heads pop up to monologue evilly at you every five minutes sure does help with that.

ARROGANT NEPHALIM

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

rap music posted:

just do more survivability stuff if you are getting owned

I'd survive if object collision in fights wasnt so dogshit...dodge is such a loving dumb gimmick for a game like this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can also just move by walking instead of hitting the dodge button

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Anyone else playing on controller having a problem picking up gear and auto attackign instead, it's driving me nuts

In the controller settings option you can separate out interact and attack. So for instance, I have my interact set to R3.

This way you can pick up loot even with mobs around etc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Shoehead posted:

Sometimes but it’s not a huge problem. Just have to be right on top of it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kawabata posted:

I'd survive if object collision in fights wasnt so dogshit...dodge is such a loving dumb gimmick for a game like this

Depending on class you'll get mobility through skills eventually.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Deki posted:

They did nerf CL and Hydra a bit from beta, if I remember correctly

Ah that’ll be it

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

BurningBeard posted:

Depending on class you'll get mobility through skills eventually.

Whirlwind barb, it's impossible to beat the succubis in the loving cave. Nothing dies fast enough. I don't think I've ever found myself in such a dumb situation in any ARPG, ever.

No issues so far, suddenly I can't beat a boss at lvl 20.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Thanks a lot! Sounds good!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Angband had one quest. One !!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't played D3 is probably a year so my comparisons may be out of date, but with my first 4ish hours down my first thoughts are

Honestly really bummed out that sorc and rogue don't have an arcane ray/rapid fire skill to laser cannon guys, that was how I had my fun in D3

The UI is kinda meh? The d2 style inventory interface isn't all that controller friendly (I didn't think they were that successful with it in d2r either), the skill tree UI is just...so much dead space and weird scrolling, and why is it using the right half of the screen only in 2023?

I also wish it had the item pickup notif from D3 that let you see real quick if the base stat was better or worse and let you equip or drop without going into inventory. Going from right sick roll to a button dodge with cooldown is a downgrade too

site fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 2, 2023

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
For anyone running an HC character I highly suggest running around and grabbing all the altars of lilith you can as the stat bonuses and renown awards really help you steamroll the intro arc. I imagine anyone also playing WTII should prioritize this as it brings some parity between the character and the monster buffs.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

Played about 9 hours as a sorc, taking thing’s slow

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Entering cellars on PS5 freezes the game currently fyi

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seeing d3 and ps5 players complain means the game is good

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

has the HDR been fixed for ps5, does anyone know?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

D4 has worse skills, skill trees, items, item interactions with skills

Yep, i'm looking forward to Blizzard entirely overhauling the skill trees. They will be entirely different from what they are now within a year.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bear druid has been very fun and cool

The only thing I'm kinda iffy on is the bear ultimate locks you into bear form for its duration, and during that time you can't use any of your non-bear skills like the super useful werewolf regen or other stuff, which has caused me some trouble since unlocking it. You become a bigger bear tho, so its still really cool

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

drat, this thread title is too real lol

I'd need to buy a console to play this game. I don't think my laptop's built in graphics card is going to make the cut. Between Xbox one, Series X/S, Playstation 4, or 5, which is going to have the best price/performance ratio, if this is the only game I play?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Do yourself a favor and pick World Tier 2 as your initial leveling difficulty of dicking around in the overworld. Tier 1 is purely Story Mode that effectively locks the health of all enemies to zero (with relative level scaling). Sure at WT2 they have a sliver more hp and live long enough to feel like they actually belong in their environment, making them all the more fun to try your untested builds on, as in you know like a game.

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 2, 2023

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

really love how transmog persists through gear swaps what a great idea

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

drat, this thread title is too real lol

I'd need to buy a console to play this game. I don't think my laptop's built in graphics card is going to make the cut. Between Xbox one, Series X/S, Playstation 4, or 5, which is going to have the best price/performance ratio, if this is the only game I play?

It ran smooth as butter on a series S during the beta. But I haven't tested with couch coop yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

rap music posted:

really love how transmog persists through gear swaps what a great idea

I also love that you can toggle it on and off quickly from the inventory screen so you can check if the new thing you picked up looks cooler than your current transmog without having to run to the wardrobe.