Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bud Manstrong posted:

Orange Seal Endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Horrible news. I still can't mount my ridiculous bars because the second DM stem I bought is too wide where it clamps the bars and there's no room. I only bought that stem because the weird elastomer stuff in the bars prevents me from being able to slide my RF Atlas DM stem things over the bar to mount them.

Looking for a third DM stem now that mounts directly in front of the bolt holes on the upper crown. Wish me luck!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VelociBacon posted:

Horrible news. I still can't mount my ridiculous bars because the second DM stem I bought is too wide where it clamps the bars and there's no room. I only bought that stem because the weird elastomer stuff in the bars prevents me from being able to slide my RF Atlas DM stem things over the bar to mount them.

Looking for a third DM stem now that mounts directly in front of the bolt holes on the upper crown. Wish me luck!

Maybe shoot customer support an email and see if they know of any that are sure to work. Id bet they have some suggestions

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Maybe shoot customer support an email and see if they know of any that are sure to work. Id bet they have some suggestions

Thanks. Really any that just go straight forward from the DM mount holes will work so it's pretty easy to tell - I just didn't think to look.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I've got one of those for my daughter and she loves it. I wouldn't rely on a kickstand to hold her weight and the bike though, especially if she is squirming around. Either lift her on and off while you are standing over the bike, or stand beside it and always have one hand on the bars and lift her with the other.

You won't regret the seat though, I take my daughter all over the place on ours, though nothing really like mtb trails. If it's time to go fast I say "I feel the need" and she'll grin and say "da need for speed" and then we zoom:)

Ok got it. That makes a lot of sense. Sounds fun!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bud Manstrong posted:

Orange Seal Endurance.

This.
After having to reinflate daily for about a week after install, it hasn't lost pressure in my 650b x 48 mm gravel wheelset in months now. Haven't tried in the mtb wheels yet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations for tire pressure on my Roscoe 7? Beginner rider, 145lbs, also using it for some gravel/trail riding and even some short paved rides just because it's my new shiny toy and I can get rides like that in on my lunch break

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

Any recommendations for tire pressure on my Roscoe 7? Beginner rider, 145lbs, also using it for some gravel/trail riding and even some short paved rides just because it's my new shiny toy and I can get rides like that in on my lunch break

I like these calculators --

https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

For reference, I weigh about the same and run 19 psi front and 22 psi rear for downhill/trail riding with 2.4" tires

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Tube vs tubeless will make a huge difference and I can't tell from online if it's tubeless or tubeless ready but ships with tubes in.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The roscoe is 27.5+ so pressures can be pretty low. i'm 250lb and ran around 18-20

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Boogalo posted:

The roscoe is 27.5+ so pressures can be pretty low. i'm 250lb and ran around 18-20

2023s are 29" but I completely forgot to ask if the store set it up tubeless or not. It's "tubeless ready."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I like these calculators --

https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

For reference, I weigh about the same and run 19 psi front and 22 psi rear for downhill/trail riding with 2.4" tires

These give me pretty wildly different recs (17 vs 25 for front). The SRAM one is closer to what I run by feel.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Eejit posted:

What's the thread consensus on tire sealant?

Stans Race sucks tho, don't use that.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

For some reason the riser bars were rolled way forward. Rolling them back some helped immensely with overall comfort, accelerating and climbing.

It's a good day to be on a bike.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crossposting from the bicycle thread as I forgot this one existed.

Anyone have a Canyon Grand Canyon 5? Feeling the mtb itch and it seems like a hell of a deal compared to other entry level models like the Salsa Rangefinder. I'd probably add a dropper seat post to it but otherwise the poo poo I'd be riding around IL/WI isn't exactly demanding.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

For some reason the riser bars were rolled way forward. Rolling them back some helped immensely with overall comfort, accelerating and climbing.

It's a good day to be on a bike.

good looking bike imo

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Anyone have a Canyon Grand Canyon 5? Feeling the mtb itch and it seems like a hell of a deal compared to other entry level models like the Salsa Rangefinder. I'd probably add a dropper seat post to it but otherwise the poo poo I'd be riding around IL/WI isn't exactly demanding.

Don't have one here's a video unboxing review of one.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVDlV8jUS4 This channel is really into low end bikes and upgrades, so Deore components are high end to them, but they do tell you it's an externally routed dropped etc.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
How do you all transport your bike by car? I have one of those racks with straps that attaches to your boot (trunk). I transport the kids bikes all the time with it. When I put my new MTB on it the bike wheels almost touch the floor so I didn't dare leave the driveway with it on.

Maybe time to get a towbar?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

How do you all transport your bike by car? I have one of those racks with straps that attaches to your boot (trunk). I transport the kids bikes all the time with it. When I put my new MTB on it the bike wheels almost touch the floor so I didn't dare leave the driveway with it on.

Maybe time to get a towbar?

I got a small hitch for my car, and use a hitch mounted rack like this:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hitch mount is the only way to go

A 1up is by far my #1 recommendation. You can cheap out and buy a lovely one, but in a few years you're going to replace it with a nice one so I recommend spending the cash now.

I've had mine for 5 years and it's still like brand new.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have an 00's impreza wagon and the bike barely fits in the back with the rear seats down, passenger seat pushed up a bunch, and the wheel off. Its kinda nice that it all goes inside and is safer from thieves and the weather but i'm still about to get a hitch rack just for easier loading of very dirty bikes and unloading and so I can carry a passenger.

Get a 2" hitch if at all possible. They're much more stable.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
£800 for a tow bar / hitch installed on my car. Tempted to just buy a new car at this point as my family is outgrowing mine.

Gah this MTB hobby is getting expensive lol.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Quizzlefish posted:

£800 for a tow bar / hitch installed on my car. Tempted to just buy a new car at this point as my family is outgrowing mine.

The New New Mountain Bike Megathread: Gah this MTB hobby is getting expensive lol.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

I paid nowhere near that for my hitch and I just installed the 4 bolts myself (Online store is hitchweb, Canadian tho).

There's a lot of different classes and sizes of hitch and you basically need the smallest one so don't get a quote for something insane!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 2, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hitch mounts for most vehicles are under $250 and easily installed yourself. Emphasis on most, for sure.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
If you are getting a “tow package” installed somewhere there is a bunch of cost associated with the wiring harness that you definitely don’t need for just a hitch rack. You should be able to do it considerably cheaper for just a hitch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nocheez posted:

Hitch mount is the only way to go

A 1up is by far my #1 recommendation. You can cheap out and buy a lovely one, but in a few years you're going to replace it with a nice one so I recommend spending the cash now.

I've had mine for 5 years and it's still like brand new.

Echoing this because I bought twice and ended up with a 1up in the end.

I know this doesn't help you Quizzlefish but in the US at least you can go to pretty much any Uhaul and they will sell and install hitches. It is pretty dang easy though on the 3-4 cars I've put them on generally. On my wife's car I had to drill holes (or at least embiggen some, it's been awhile and :corsair:) into the frame rail from inside which I could see some folks not wanting to do. Watch a youtube guide, there's probably one for your specific make and model for installing it. Curt makes hitches and a lot of video installs for them.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Welp it dropped to $499 for world bike day so I ordered it. Will probably add a PNW external dropper and then beat the hell out of it until I can justify something different.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

I paid nowhere near that for my hitch and I just installed the 4 bolts myself (Online store is hitchweb, Canadian tho).

There's a lot of different classes and sizes of hitch and you basically need the smallest one so don't get a quote for something insane!

I was about to post asking if I can get a hitch on my GTI, good car taste goon sir

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

charliebravo77 posted:

Welp it dropped to $499 for world bike day so I ordered it. Will probably add a PNW external dropper and then beat the hell out of it until I can justify something different.

I've got a PNW Cascade 150mm/31.6mm dropper brand new in box, if that happens to be the size and length you would need. I bought it for a bike trip last May, but it didn't fit and I missed the 30 day window for exchanges.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I've got a PNW Cascade 150mm/31.6mm dropper brand new in box, if that happens to be the size and length you would need. I bought it for a bike trip last May, but it didn't fit and I missed the 30 day window for exchanges.

Fortunately/unfortuately that's too big and I already ordered the right one, but thanks!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Echoing this because I bought twice and ended up with a 1up in the end.

Thirding this. Get the 1UP.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prom candy posted:

I was about to post asking if I can get a hitch on my GTI, good car taste goon sir

Hey man I've got to get to the bike park quickly to get laps in!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

funkymonks posted:

If you are getting a “tow package” installed somewhere there is a bunch of cost associated with the wiring harness that you definitely don’t need for just a hitch rack. You should be able to do it considerably cheaper for just a hitch.

I believe the OP is in the UK? You can get a cool £5000 fine for the bike blocking any on your lights. I am sure lots of people risk it but i usually see lights on the rack. So you need a wiring harness and such.

In the us we give no fucks although i am sure it is technically illegal.

Also agree with a 1up but probably not if you are overseas.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
My hitch rack and bike completely covers my rear license plate it rules my cars registration ran out a year ago.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm thinking of getting this bad boy:

http://buzzrack.com/galleries/eazzy-4/

As others have said, in the UK you need to have the license plate and lights on the rack so you need a pro to do the wiring etc. to attach a tow bar / hitch.

Having looked around, I doubt I'd get this for my car for under £700 as you need to buy new electrical stuff for the car and also my car isnt tow bar ready so to speak.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ddiddles posted:

My hitch rack and bike completely covers my rear license plate it rules my cars registration ran out a year ago.

New York hasn’t sent me a single toll bill ever when I drive there to race bikes :kiddo:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ddiddles posted:

I've been pulled over by bored rural Ohio cops and explicitly told it was because my rack partially blocked my plate. The officer told me that while it's technically illegal they usually let it slide if a bike's mounted but I just had the rack on at the time.

That's one of the reasons I'm probably going to get a 1up soon, so I can leave the rack on all the time and not have that happen or the loss of rear visibility.

Quizzlefish posted:

As others have said, in the UK you need to have the license plate and lights on the rack so you need a pro to do the wiring etc. to attach a tow bar / hitch.

Having looked around, I doubt I'd get this for my car for under £700 as you need to buy new electrical stuff for the car and also my car isnt tow bar ready so to speak.
The wiring is no harder than installing the hitch itself, in fact I'd argue easier if a plug and play harness is available. You almost certainly do not need a pro unless something is very weird about your car or it's a regulatory requirement.

I drive a Ford Fiesta ST, there is no official towing package, no tow rating, etc. One of the last vehicles you'd expect to have a plug and play trailer wiring harness, and yet: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56191 The listed MSRP is well above the actual retail cost as well.

I flipped up the false floor in the cargo area, pulled back the carpet over the wheel wells a bit, and plugged those two T-sections of the harness in to the taillight connectors on each side of the vehicle, hooked up the ground to a nearby bolt, and then tucked the wires in behind trim panels. The end with the trailer plug lives in the spare tire well normally and is intended to have the hatch closed on it when it needs to stick out. It took more time to clean up the wire routing than anything else, maybe 15 minutes from first opening the hatch to hooking up a test light.

Most vehicles with a plug and play harness will be more or less the same, and for those without it's still similar but you have to tap or splice the taillight harnesses to connect the "magic box" that turns those inputs in to the outputs a trailer expects.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Reading online in order to fit the standard 7 pin adaptor for the trailer / bike rack, I need to have a device to reprogram the car.

I get what you're saying but. A visual inspection of the exterior rear and underneath at the back shows me zero places where I could realistically attach a tow bar. Which makes me feel like it's not going to be that easy on my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Just watched a video of someone installing one on my car model (Skoda Octavia mk3) and no way in hell am I up to it. Like maybe 5 tiers above my handyman skills.