Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm surprised by the Guardian hate that popped up as soon as totk released. My dudes, the Guardians were instantly among the most iconic and fun video game enemies of all time.

edit: as long as I'm page sniping, might as well post a guardian video
https://twitter.com/veccswitch/status/1543426813149425667

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Looooool

https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1664646215168843777?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Guardians were great in that they immediately provoke an "oh poo poo" response from their frantic piano music alone, and even after you've figured out the tricks to fighting them effectively (use the terrain to block their laser on approach, shield-parry their laser back at them, shoot them in the eye to stun, use ancient weapons to chop their legs off in one hit), getting cocky about fighting them can very quickly turn into terrified flailing when things go wrong

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
At the end of the day I can't forgive the Guardians for killing my horse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Guardians were worth it for that one room in Forgotten Temple that has a thousand of them all immediately lock onto you the second you step foot into that room.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm surprised by the Guardian hate that popped up as soon as totk released. My dudes, the Guardians were instantly among the most iconic and fun video game enemies of all time.

edit: as long as I'm page sniping, might as well post a guardian video
https://twitter.com/veccswitch/status/1543426813149425667

I've snuck around camps in ToTK by ultra handing planks and holding them in front of me so they couldn't see me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOLOLOL

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I’m working and can’t unmute but I’m imagining a very long toilet flushing sound playing over this. loving hilarious

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've given it some thought and (armor spoiler) I believe it may be the case that the wingsuit bonus in fact caused me to die of fall damage MORE times than I would've otherwise, every time because I hadn't realized I didn't have the bonus because I changed to a weather helm. I wonder what the God of Owls was thinking as he watched me dive from the highest height to lowest depth only to land face first and die on the grate above his final test

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:five:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I do love the game. I just wish there were more sidequest chains that built upon each other (like those that start at the great plateau) or delved into the ~lore~.

Sidequest chain spoilers below:
I loved the Yiga questlines, and wish there was more stuff like that instead of 'take a picture of this thing for a pony point' or 'kill 3 bosses for a grand total of 100 rupees'. There's so much weird and fascinating poo poo going on that's never elaborated on. Like the bargainer and goddess statue questlines are so troubling but never explained.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lmfao

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I do love the game. I just wish there were more sidequest chains that built upon each other (like those that start at the great plateau) or delved into the ~lore~.

Sidequest chain spoilers below:
I loved the Yiga questlines, and wish there was more stuff like that instead of 'take a picture of this thing for a pony point' or 'kill 3 bosses for a grand total of 100 rupees'. There's so much weird and fascinating poo poo going on that's never elaborated on. Like the bargainer and goddess statue questlines are so troubling but never explained.

i do find it weird that it's a sort of inversion or dark mirror of the goddess statues called the bargainer and collects lost souls, but is apparently totally separate from the devil statue that is an inversion/dark mirror of the goddess statues that makes bargains and deals for your heart containers/stamina.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

I've given it some thought and (armor spoiler) I believe it may be the case that the wingsuit bonus in fact caused me to die of fall damage MORE times than I would've otherwise, every time because I hadn't realized I didn't have the bonus because I changed to a weather helm. I wonder what the God of Owls was thinking as he watched me dive from the highest height to lowest depth only to land face first and die on the grate above his final test

I knew the instant I saw that set bonus I couldn't get into the habit of using it because that exact thing would happen

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Barreft posted:

oh thank god mods ftw

Streamlined Repetitive Events
https://gamebanana.com/mods/446768

Gotta test this out

What kind of monster would skip Hestu's dance?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Is there any leg armor other than the Zoni pants that can get up to 28 defense and also have an effect? Right now I'm rocking Diamond Circlet, Champion's Leathers, and Zoni pants and while I love having insane defense and still having useful effects I gotta say the shorts next to the tunic isn't really the drip. Zoni's a pretty useful effect, but I'd probably do something a bit worse if it looked a bit better. Do I have any other options?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
One thing I liked about guardians is that once you figured it out you still got drops from ancient arrows, I don’t know in totk what would be similar yet.

Guardian hunting or redoing the labyrinth basement was a good way to pass time in botw

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The gloom hand monster things sure are no fun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
puffshroom them ez pz

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I just blow the poo poo out of gloom hands with flower bomb arrows before they can get close.

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

Why is building a functional and good looking house impossible. DLC needs to add at least 15 more slots per DLC, permitting there will be 2 as per BOTW.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I tried a time bomb I had but the monsters move far too quickly

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Is there any leg armor other than the Zoni pants that can get up to 28 defense and also have an effect? Right now I'm rocking Diamond Circlet, Champion's Leathers, and Zoni pants and while I love having insane defense and still having useful effects I gotta say the shorts next to the tunic isn't really the drip. Zoni's a pretty useful effect, but I'd probably do something a bit worse if it looked a bit better. Do I have any other options?

the "of the wild" armor set has 4 base defense, but it doesn't confer any bonus unless worn as an entire set. Probably same with the full shrine completion armor as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Digital Osmosis posted:

Only other pants with the same defense as the Zonai ones are Knights (no effect) and Trousers of the Wild (the LoZ1 inspired shorts that were your reward for 120 shrines in BotW) (also no effect unless worn as a full suit)

the 152 Shrine reward also has the max defense but meh effects and is a single piece outfit, no mix and matching

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

magiccarpet posted:

The gloom hand monster things sure are no fun

I just beat my first ones, I ran up onto a rock and they died of shame at not being able to reach me :rip:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Does anyone know if the “Wild Armor” full set attack bonus is worth more than the Diamond circlet’s one-piece attack bonus? I feel like I could live with trading 4 defense (the advantage the Champion’s leather gives you) for a higher attack bonus. It it’s the same bonus though I’ll stick with the extra armor, Zoni efficiency increase, and just come to terms with the fact that Link looks a little silly kitted out like that.

Alternatively, anyone have a good argument for wearing something like the Barbarian armor that gives you the max attack bonus but 28 less defense?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone know if the “Wild Armor” full set attack bonus is worth more than the Diamond circlet’s one-piece attack bonus? I feel like I could live with trading 4 defense (the advantage the Champion’s leather gives you) for a higher attack bonus. It it’s the same bonus though I’ll stick with the extra armor, Zoni efficiency increase, and just come to terms with the fact that Link looks a little silly kitted out like that.

Alternatively, anyone have a good argument for wearing something like the Barbarian armor that gives you the max attack bonus but 28 less defense?

Murder is the best defense?

Honestly, though, you should just get your attack bonus from food. Get something else out of your armor, either a different attack boost (like bone), or defense, or weather, or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Digital Osmosis posted:

All the amiibo sets give level 1 attack buff, the same as you get from a 1-banana meal, diamond circlet, or 1 piece of barbarian / fierce deity armor.
If you want to have high defense and high attack, barbarian/deity armor with a level 3 def buff from food will put you at the exact same atk/def as soldier armor with a level 3 attack buff from food (or diamond circlet + attack 2 food -- it doesn't go above 3 regardless). Still 4 def lower than champion's leather's though.

The advantage is that you have the higher damage all the time for beating up helpless bokoblins or other unthreatening enemies without having to eat into your elixir supply, and only "need" to eat the defense food when fighting something scary that might kill you. So it's a question of, do you want to kill enemies fast all the time and buff up for safety, or do you want to take 0 damage all the time and buff up for more damage.
Or maybe it's a question of "do you have more bananas or pumpkins in your kitchen pantry"

e: of course if you wanna go sicko mode the best damage comes from combining level 3 attack food with one of the other damage boosting sets. everyone is singing the praises of the bone proficiency but the hot/cold weather attack sets probably kinda work too?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 2, 2023

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

magiccarpet posted:

I tried a time bomb I had but the monsters move far too quickly

It's a good idea to keep a stock of arrows and bombs (from bomb flowers), and then attach the bombs to the arrows each time you fire to blow them all up together.

Multifire bows shoot multiple explosions while only using one. Anything with tripleshot should take them down in just a volleys.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Can I get a super simple, no-spoilers list of stuff it's ok to sell? I remember getting burned in BotW cause I sold a bunch of amber or something and eventually found out I needed a ton of them for Great Fairy upgrades.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Harriet Carker posted:

Can I get a super simple, no-spoilers list of stuff it's ok to sell? I remember getting burned in BotW cause I sold a bunch of amber or something and eventually found out I needed a ton of them for Great Fairy upgrades.

How about the opposite, here's a list of every item that's needed for armor upgrades (pulled off a reddit comment)
It contains minor enemy-name spoilers.
And yup you need up to 665 amber for armor upgrades in this game.

code:
30 Acorn
36 Aerocuda Eyeball
63 Aerocuda Wing
665 Amber
9 Black Boss Bokoblin Horn
15 Black Bokoblin Horn
15 Black Horriblin Horn
9 Bladed Rhino Beetle
9 Black Hinox Horn
15 Black Lizalfos Horn
15 Black Moblin Horn
15 Blue Bokoblin Horn
9 Blue Boss Bokoblin Horn
15 Blue Horriblin Horn
15 Blue Lizalfos Horn
15 Blue Lizalfos Tail
9 Blue-Maned Lynel Mace Horn
9 Blue-Maned Lynel Saber Horn
15 Blue Moblin Horn
24 Blue Nightshade
15 Blue-White Frox Fang
15 Bokoblin Fang
45 Bokoblin Guts
15 Bokoblin Horn
9 Boss Bokoblin Guts
9 Boss Bokoblin Horn
90 Brightbloom Seed
15 Brightcap
15 Captain Construct Horn
15 Captain Construct Horn II
15 Captain Construct Horn III
30 Chillfin Trout
15 Chillshroom
15 Chuchu Jelly
15 Cold Darner
9 Cool Saffina
15 Courser Bee Honey
15 Dark Clump
60 Dazzlefruit
39 Deep Firefly
27 Diamond
2 Dinraal's Claw
2 Dinraal's Fang
4 Dinraal's Horn
2 Dinraal's Scale
15 Dinraal's Spike
15 Electric Darner
15 Electric Keese Wing
36 Electric Lizalfos Horn
54 Electric Lizalfos Tail
24 Electric Safflina
9 Energetic Rhino Beetle
2 Farosh's Claw
2 Farosh's Fang
4 Farosh's Horn
2 Farosh's Scale
15 Farosh's Spike
367 Flint
9 Fire Fruit
45 Fire Keese Wing
30 Fire-Breath Lizalfos Horn
48 Fire-Breath Lizalfos Tail
15 Fire Like Stone
15 Fireproof Lizard
9 Frox Fang
9 Frox Fingernail
18 Frox Guts
105 Giant Brightbloom Seed
30 Gibdo Bone
5 Gibdo Guts
24 Gibdo Wing
15 Gleeok Flame Horn
15 Gleeok Frost Horn
18 Gleeok Guts
15 Gleeok Thunder Horn
36 Gleeok Wing
15 Glowing Cave Fish
9 Hearty Bass
5 Heary Lizard
25 Hightail Lizard
24 Hinox Guts
24 Hinox Toenail
24 Hinox Tooth
39 Horriblin Guts
15 Horriblin Horn
30 Hot-Footed Frog
15 Hyrule Bass
30 Ice-Breath Lizalfos Horn
54 Ice-Breath Lizalfos Tail
9 Ice Fruit
39 Ice Keese Wing
15 Ice Like Stone
30 Keese Eyeballs
33 Keese Wing
135 Large Zonai Charge
190 Large Zonaite
3 Light Dragon Fang
3 Light Dragon Horn
3 Light Dragon Scale
3 Light Dragon Talon
9 Lizalfos Horn
18 Lizalfos Tail
15 Lizalfos Talon
456 Luminous Stone
24 Lynel Guts
80 Lynel Hoof
56 Lynel Mace Horn
6 Lynel Saber Horn
30 Might Banana
9 Mighty Thistle
15 Moblin Fang
15 Moblin Guts
9 Moblin Horn
5 Molduga Fin
14 Molduga Guts
9 Molduga Jaw
2 Naydra's Claw
2 Naydra's Fang
4 Naydra's Horn
4 Naydra's Scale
15 Naydra's Spike
9 Obsidian Frox Fang
5 Octorock Balloon
6 Octorock Eyeball
10 Octorock Tentacle
376 Opal
9 Puffshroom
9 Razerclaw Crab
15 Razershroom
9 Red Chuchu Jelly
117 Ruby
39 Rushroom
117 Sapphire
9 Shock Fruit
15 Shock Like Stone
72 Silent Princess
24 Silent Shroom
9 Silver Boss Bokoblin Horn
24 Silver Bokoblin Horn
9 Silver Lizalfos Horn
9 Silver Lynel Mace Horn
9 Silver Lynel Saber Horn
9 Silver Moblin Horn
30 Sizzlefin Trout
15 Sneaky River Snail
103 Star Fragment
30 Stealthfin Trout
30 Sticky Frog
24 Sticky Lizard
15 Soldier Construct Horn I
15 Soldier Construct Horn II
15 Soldier Construct Horn III
15 Soldier Construct Horn IV
75 Sundelion
15 Sunset Firefly
24 Smotherwing Butterfly
15 Summerwing Butterfly
15 Sunshroom
10 Swift Carrot
90 Swift Violet
117 Topaz
9 Thunderwing Butterfly
30 Voltfin Trout
15 Voltfruit
15 Warm Darner
9 Warm Safflina
24 White Chuchu Jelly
9 White-Maned Lynel Mace Horn
9 White-Maned Lynel Saber Horn
15 Winterwing Butterfly
33 Yellow Chuchu Jelly
15 Zapshroom
150 Zonaite 

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Tbh I don’t know how helpful that is unless you’re a filthy cheater who needs to know how much to dupe in.

Like, holding on to all your rubies until you have 120 so you can max out every armor in the game at once is insane and miserable, you can sell them a lot more freely than that to have money for stuff as you need it. I’d say the only thing to really watch out for is selling off the low tier monster horns, since some of those get phased out and become harder to track down as you keep playing.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
been exploring the Depths with an airbike that finally doesn't keep tipping over or going too high. poo poo's a lot less scary now (still avoiding any and all Frox, thank you)

is there a spoiler-free quest prompt or someone that tells you how to get through the lost woods? i got to the entrance and keep getting swallowed up by fog and reset after a few steps in. if it's the same method to get through as BotW, then that's kinda lame.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know I think most people got in before a quest ever sent them in that direction.

But I think the point at which the game would actually ask you to go there is pretty late in the game, that is just a feeling on my part.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

I’d say the only thing to really watch out for is selling off the low tier monster horns, since some of those get phased out and become harder to track down as you keep playing.

Speaking of which, what is the general approach for finding lower-level monster parts? I need some of the basic green Lizalfos Tails but I've only seen black/elemental tails recently. Is there a part of the world where monsters don't scale up much that might have them?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have seen the basic kinds in Hyrule field a lot even though most of mine are silver or black now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The world level system in this game is so drat cool. It has its downsides if you need lower level stuff but for the zonaite it's RE4 levels of invisible. At the beginning I was only getting one or two zonaite from the rock chunks you can break, and now at midgame they seem to drop four or five and sometimes a large zonaite.

Now that I've been to the area with the Twilight Tunic, it's a great spot for judging how far along I am. My first run through netted me about 300, and coming back later I got nearly 500 from the same chunks.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Megera posted:

if it's the same method to get through as BotW, then that's kinda lame.

It's not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah I wear the Fierce Deity set because Attack 3 + stamina charge is really useful, whereas armor is just a buffer for loving up which happens less over time anyway. The 60 armor from the set is already nuts, even direct hits from bosses and Lynels barely knock a heart or two away, it's already higher than most enemy attacks and a few extra points in defense won't matter against the handful of bosses with attacks that heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Megera posted:

been exploring the Depths with an airbike that finally doesn't keep tipping over or going too high. poo poo's a lot less scary now (still avoiding any and all Frox, thank you)

is there a spoiler-free quest prompt or someone that tells you how to get through the lost woods? i got to the entrance and keep getting swallowed up by fog and reset after a few steps in. if it's the same method to get through as BotW, then that's kinda lame.

It's not the same method to navigate the first time as BOTW, it might be the same after the fact but I just fast travel in.

You've got more options to navigate the world, make sure you've explored every possible avenue.

As for the monster Frox's,, there's a few easy ways to exploit their weaknesses. They're like Dodongos where they don't like eating bombs and they have similar weak spots to the Stone Talos and they especially dont like arrows to the eye.

If you are about to get shaken off their back, if you glide above them right when they're going to throw you off, they'll launch you in the air. If you shoot them before they try to eat you, you can keep them stunlocked.

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 2, 2023