Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RabbitWizard posted:

Episode 7 (Better Wold) of Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters is a better BM episode than all of Season 5 :colbert:

What's it about? I passed on Misfits & Monsters because after God Bless America wound up being the most :rolleyes: Old Man Yells At Cloud takedown of 2011 American culture possible I had zero faith in Bobcat Goldthwait to do an anthology series with effective commentary, I would love to be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
In a world with AI they let 2 supercomputers talk to each other to see if they can come up with a plan to save the world.

It's more on the humorous side and only like 20 minutes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RabbitWizard posted:

In a world with AI they let 2 supercomputers talk to each other to see if they can come up with a plan to save the world.

It's more on the humorous side and only like 20 minutes.

Hell yeah that sounds good, thanks.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Sleeveless posted:

Hell yeah that sounds good, thanks.

Let me know what you think about it :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7uFcpF0pXk

Excited for a documentary series

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Weird! I just googled "is there going to be more Black Mirror" after not having thought about the show in probably over a year literally yesterday.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

S6 trailer released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jY1ecibLYo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

JOAN IS AWFUL: An average woman is stunned to discover a global streaming platform has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life — in which she is portrayed by Hollywood A-lister Salma Hayek.

Cast: Annie Murphy, Ben Barnes, Himesh Patel, Michael Cera, Rob Delaney, Salma Hayek Pinault

Director: Ally Pankiw. Written by: Charlie Brooker. Filmed in: UK

LOCH HENRY: A young couple travel to a sleepy Scottish town to start work on a genteel nature documentary – but find themselves drawn to a juicy local story involving shocking events of the past.

Cast: Daniel Portman, John Hannah, Monica Dolan, Myha’la Herrold, Samuel Blenkin

Director: Sam Miller. Written by: Charlie Brooker. Filmed in: UK (Scotland)

BEYOND THE SEA: In an alternative 1969, two men on a perilous high-tech mission wrestle with the consequences of an unimaginable tragedy.

Cast: Aaron Paul, Auden Thornton, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, Rory Culkin

Director: John Crowley. Written by: Charlie Brooker. Filmed in: UK and Spain

MAZEY DAY: A troubled starlet is dogged by invasive paparazzi while dealing with the consequences of a hit-and-run incident.

Cast: Clara Rugaard, Danny Ramirez, Zazie Beetz.

Director: Uta Briesewitz. Written by: Charlie Brooker. Filmed in: Spain

DEMON 79: Northern England, 1979. A meek sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster.

Cast: Anjana Vasan, Paapa Essiedu

Joan Is Awful immediately jumps out as fun and Beyond The Sea looks like it could either be amazing or pants

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's got Aaron Paul, so I hope it's good.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

None of the premises feel very compelling to me but honestly the same could be said about the old seasons. For all its high-concept trappings BM's about execution.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It was all downhill after opening with the pig loving. No concept is going to beat that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pablo Bluth posted:

It was all downhill after opening with the pig loving. No concept is going to beat that.
Seriously tho S1E2 is amazing. I've never seen a better standalone episode of TV.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

No Wave posted:

Seriously tho S1E2 is amazing. I've never seen a better standalone episode of TV.

15 million merits?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keep remembering which episode is the best and then remembering another that is maybe slightly better, and so on, looping to the first one.

The top 5 at least is really tight.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've always had a soft spot for White Bear. On the other hand, apparently I never finished Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
15 Million Merits, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance and San Junipero are the top tier

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

15 Million Merits, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance and San Junipero are the top tier

The Entire History Of You is also great imo

And the Christmas special

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I actually like Metalhead and woman who can't stop murdering

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I have a big soft spot for Nosedive, as I watched it right after it felt like my life totally fell apart in a similar snowballing fashion (though in retrospect that wasn’t the case at all) so I was extremely invested in it. It struck a very deep chord that few pieces of media have managed to hit since. Plus I’m a sucker for “plausible near future tech” as set dressing.

15,000,000 Merits still might be the best episode of the show. Right from the beginning it just spelled out all the themes as plainly as possible and did it in a very interesting way. Glad that its lead went on to be a megastar.

Last season was pretty bleh, so here’s hoping this is better. I’m glad they’ve moved away from “artificial consciousness of real person” as a plot device because I swear that was every single episode for awhile.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like there are 5 really good episodes of Black Mirror that justify its existence. I know one of those is 15 million merits, and the other four could be any, pick your favourites. No other show reminds me of a short story anthology where different authors write to the same theme more than this show, for good and bad. I'm always grateful when its renewed because it always feels like each episode has a 5% chance of being brilliant and its worth rolling those odds again and again baby

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In 15MM the people on the exercise bikes can play a version of doom but they're shooting the janitorial staff who silently clean up after them IRL.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

More John Hannah is always worth it. The episode itself may suck, but he'll make it worth the experience

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hang the DJ's probably my favorite one, the final twist is a little weird but the chemistry between the two leads puts a big ol' grin on my face every time

e: rounding out the top five in no particular order: White Christmas, San Junipero, Callister, White Bear

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think my favourite part of black mirror is how it became such a meme of 'what if phones, but too much' and also just how rote the creator's tropes were haha
-they were in a simulation THE WHOLE TIME
-you can trap people in a simulation as copies of themselves that are sentient :o
-human connection is being twisted by advanced telecommunication technology
- uhhh simulations are scary! we are in a simulation!

like, i would come up with worse if i was the writer. its just so funny how often they drew from the same simulation well. you gotta get weird with it yo get greg egan to write some eps haha

China Miéville could write too. oh the mind runs wild with interesting writer choices hmm

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hang the DJ is nearly perfect except for the “it was a simulation” ending, but also a lot of stuff doesn’t make sense if it isn’t one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like Doctor Who did a better "We're in a simulation" episode than Black Mirror has done.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Lampsacus posted:

China Miéville could write too.

Jesus gently caress that’d be terrifying. That man has the wildest imagination any human has ever had.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hang the DJ is nearly perfect except for the “it was a simulation” ending, but also a lot of stuff doesn’t make sense if it isn’t one.

I learned that I'm a colossal downer, because my complaint about "Hang the DJ" was that the ending wasn't depressing enough. My pitch was, once they reveal that it's a simulation developed to serve a dating app algorithm, that the pivot to the real world was just that guy in an airport or wherever looking at her profile and swiping left, then swiping left on even higher match-percentage options, and not noticing her a few seats away.

"That's monstrous," was the input.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I DO like that but also most of the episodes are depressing as hell so it’s nice that there’s a few that aren’t.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Xealot posted:

I learned that I'm a colossal downer, because my complaint about "Hang the DJ" was that the ending wasn't depressing enough. My pitch was, once they reveal that it's a simulation developed to serve a dating app algorithm, that the pivot to the real world was just that guy in an airport or wherever looking at her profile and swiping left, then swiping left on even higher match-percentage options, and not noticing her a few seats away.

"That's monstrous," was the input.

Maybe the problem is that that ending is too real?

My reaction to the ending of Hang the DJ was "aaaaahhhhhhh, yeah, that makes sense. Too bad we don't get to see one of them decide 'eh, I don't think so' for that extra twist"

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://twitter.com/mullbot_forever/status/1364349334259703810

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I had to google to remind myself which ep Hang the DJ was so I guess it didn't make that much of an impression on me.

I would like to see at least one episode this season take place entirely in the real world, what with the series premiere being one of these and also one of (if not THE) series' strongest. Some of the best Twilight Zones were like that, too.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Shut up and Dance was about as much in the real world as you can get and that one was a great episode.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wasnt smithereens basically real world?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

San Junipero is the greatest. endlessly rewatchable.

Striking Vipers is top tier.

in conclusion, all black mirror s6 should be gay

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I hope they stop doing the "this good thing... is actually a bad thing" and "The augments you have are lying to you", both were done to death in the earlier seasons.

I btw actually liked Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too. It is a funny and stupid, but a gently caress you on those fully manufactured Disney-stars.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

Wasnt smithereens basically real world?

Yes but you can't fault anyone for forgetting about that episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Ashley ep predicted all the Britney stuff amazingly well

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too also mimics the look and tone of those Disney channel movies while doing that. It's a good episode.

I honestly don't think any episode wasn't worth watching. I looked through the list and the only ones I don't care to ever revisit are The Waldo Moment and Bandersnatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like they come so infrequently I'm always happy to see em all. I don't think I've ever rewatched it, some of these ep names not ringing bells, spouse been long enough I can go through em all again sometime. There have been some I just thought were boring or tedious, but even some of the most predictive cliche ones were still fun to watch in a Twilight Zone way. If I do rewatch there are a few I'd skip just because they are unpleasant, I mean, most of them are as the point but a few I remember enough to not want to go through the ride again.