Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

rap music posted:

really love how transmog persists through gear swaps what a great idea

I think there's a bug or a feature where it turns off, but still notifies you, if you swap your shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I'm playing a different game. The story so far has been as bare bones as possible. D3 had a much better storyline, more involved. Here we get 3 minute cutscenes of your guy getting pulled on a cart. It has so much filler that is just not needed like that.

At the end of the day, story is the least of my concerns. Being so zoomed in is driving me absolutely bonkers. I can't stand it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Philthy posted:

At the end of the day, story is the least of my concerns. Being so zoomed in is driving me absolutely bonkers. I can't stand it.

What's really annoying is when it'll pull out the camera for various parts to show you some scenery. Please, just leave it! Lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

D3's story being "involved" is a large part of why it sucked rear end.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

In the controller settings option you can separate out interact and attack. So for instance, I have my interact set to R3.

This way you can pick up loot even with mobs around etc.

ohhh thank you!

This seemed to work way better in the beta?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Stux posted:

imagining someone loading up d2 for the first time today and reacting to 50% of the skill trees being completely unusable lol

they're completely different games by this point. I played a shitload of d2 but almost all of that time was just running the campaign with friends, and in that context just about every skill was viable (even if lots weren't optimal). but since then the game has evolved into an online-only, never-ending ladder of upgrades where your primary goal is to gradually min-max over billions of hours

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 2, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving Rogue. At first I was disappointed that the bow skills felt unimaginative, but then I just swapped to daggers and it's way better. The core skill that throws daggers is good, and Twisting Blades is amazing... though I found a legendary that gives my Flurry skill aoe all around me and that's going to do better until I find higher level gloves. Shadow imbue is nuts, love to see every enemy on the screen flash up VULNERABLE and then explode in one hit due to my big% increased damage to vulnerable enemies. Poison trap knocking down enemies is great, too. This is a monster clicking game, but the little strategy of jumping in, laying down a poison trap and hitting everyone with Twisting Blades, then dodging or Caltrops-ing out and watching all the enemies explode is engaging.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Philthy posted:

One of the upsides of couch co-op is it's way zoomed out!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

drat, this thread title is too real lol

I'd need to buy a console to play this game. I don't think my laptop's built in graphics card is going to make the cut. Between Xbox one, Series X/S, Playstation 4, or 5, which is going to have the best price/performance ratio, if this is the only game I play?

If all you're going to play on it is D4, the Xbox Series S is totally fine. Its resolution is a step down from PS5/Xbox series X. However, if you think you'll pile on a bunch more games, go for the Xbox Series X as the Game Pass is far superior to anything Sony is offering atm. The S doesn't have much storage, and you'll have to add an SSD drive to play games designed for it, meaning that you'll have spent as much for an X. Ask me how I know this (sad face).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fajita Queen posted:

D3's story being "involved" is a large part of why it sucked rear end.

D3 really only sucked rear end for the first 6 months or so. The story was never anything people complained about. It became not just good, but a pretty great game after a year or so when they started all the end game content. I still rate PoE higher, but it didn't suck rear end by any means.

I feel like D4 is in the same boat, it kinda sucks butt right now, but in a year it'll be awesome. Tweak the zoom, redo the inventory system, redo the skill trees. The UI is a total loving mess on a PC, it's all baked in for dumb mobile tablets or some poo poo right now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They gotta start somewhere, may as well be here. They've shown they listen to player feedback so I'm sure we'll see changes as the game gets older, and especially with the expected expansion.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think D4's story is more engaging that D3 in large part to Blizzard actually getting some decent voice actors this time. D3's were all straight from Saturday morning cartoons. This has The Office's Finchy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay level 35, have all of my necro skill tree unlocked. :toot:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Philthy posted:

D3 really only sucked rear end for the first 6 months or so. The story was never anything people complained about.

Uh no. There were a lot of things to complain about at launch, and the story was easily top 3 if not #1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I think D4's story is more engaging that D3 in large part to Blizzard actually getting some decent voice actors this time. D3's were all straight from Saturday morning cartoons. This has The Office's Finchy.

I don't like how much NPC interaction you have in the D4 story, it was bad enough in D3. And then you have moments of hunting and pecking around for clues and quest objects, and this just isn't that kind of RPG.

I know Blizzard is known for pretty half-rear end stories in their games, and this is no exception, but it still doesn't change the fact that this story is really bad and boring.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Philthy posted:

D3 really only sucked rear end for the first 6 months or so. The story was never anything people complained about. It became not just good, but a pretty great game after a year or so when they started all the end game content. I still rate PoE higher, but it didn't suck rear end by any means.

I feel like D4 is in the same boat, it kinda sucks butt right now, but in a year it'll be awesome. Tweak the zoom, redo the inventory system, redo the skill trees. The UI is a total loving mess on a PC, it's all baked in for dumb mobile tablets or some poo poo right now.

People complained about D3's story quite a lot, actually. The internet was full of "what the gently caress is a Nephilim? Why was Cain killed in the most hamfisted twist betrayal ever? How did that demon trick anyone into believing he was that prince? Why is Hell's greatest tactician telling us every step of his plan before executing them?"

The story was hilariously bad and badly written.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Uh no. There were a lot of things to complain about at launch, and the story was easily top 3 if not #1.

Yeah the story was embarrassing and you had to run through it multiple times for each character you made.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Philthy posted:

d3 is dog poo poo, everything about 4 is better

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
also its the same zoom as poe lol

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I got dr approval today to take my splint off and start using my recently broken pinky (keyboard hand) , just in time for a weekend of clicking! I tried to use controller but it was annoying, pressing A kept bringing up the chat window, couldn't even add a skill point without grabbing the mouse.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
What class should I play if I want to see the best enemy ragdoll deaths?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Philthy posted:

The story was never anything people complained about.

Diablo 3 emerged as the #1 lovely Blizzard story in an era where it had to compete for that honor with SC2s Heart of the Swarm. :cawg: BfA and SL would take another 5+ years to happen.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vashro posted:

I got dr approval today to take my splint off and start using my recently broken pinky (keyboard hand) , just in time for a weekend of clicking! I tried to use controller but it was annoying, pressing A kept bringing up the chat window, couldn't even add a skill point without grabbing the mouse.

switching between controller and mkb works perfectly normally here. sounds like ur setup is hosed

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Stux posted:

The PoE 2 videos have a more zoomed out pov! Hope it hasn't been axed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I don't like how much NPC interaction you have in the D4 story, it was bad enough in D3. And then you have moments of hunting and pecking around for clues and quest objects, and this just isn't that kind of RPG.

I know Blizzard is known for pretty half-rear end stories in their games, and this is no exception, but it still doesn't change the fact that this story is really bad and boring.

I hate it, and the most I hate it is when I have to actually wait for them to get into position or finish talking. A good example is when you come back from that dungeon and want to talk to the high priestess or whoever, but need to wait for her to finish her speech and then when you finally talk to her she says "let's go inside" and then you need to admire the scenery for a few seconds while she walks inside. It makes me actively want to avoid quests.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Do yourself a favor and pick World Tier 2 as your initial leveling difficulty of dicking around in the overworld. Tier 1 is purely Story Mode that effectively locks the health of all enemies to zero (with relative level scaling). Sure at WT2 they have a sliver more hp and live long enough to feel like they actually belong in their environment, making them all the more fun to try your untested builds on, as in you know like a game.

WT1 is pretty fun. Don’t have to get all sweaty and the enemies aren’t all sponges. If WT2 offered better drops I’d probably go for that, but it doesn’t.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

I hate it, and the most I hate it is when I have to actually wait for them to get into position or finish talking. A good example is when you come back from that dungeon and want to talk to the high priestess or whoever, but need to wait for her to finish her speech and then when you finally talk to her she says "let's go inside" and then you need to admire the scenery for a few seconds while she walks inside. It makes me actively want to avoid quests.

Brings the momentum of the game to a screeching halt in the worst way. Especially when I'm trying out new characters and have to do it again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saw a couple of comments, is druid levelling fine or too grindy

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

zoux posted:

its fine, not the fastest but its no issue at all if you skill right.

though im trying out twisting blades rogue and lol, its so fast

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Devorum posted:

Brings the momentum of the game to a screeching halt in the worst way. Especially when I'm trying out new characters and have to do it again.

you dont have to do the campaign again on alts

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

you don't even have to do the campaign on your main

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Doomykins posted:

Diablo 3 emerged as the #1 lovely Blizzard story in an era where it had to compete for that honor with SC2s Heart of the Swarm. :cawg: BfA and SL would take another 5+ years to happen.

Oh my lord, I had for forgotten about SC2 and HotS. I mean Blizzard was never Tolkien but they really bottomed out and have been rolling in it for years.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Going for storm strike and lightning storm seems pretty good to. Me, even with lovely gear. Werewolf with shred was pretty frustrating to get going in the second beta.

My biggest gameplay complaint is that resource generation can be obnoxiously slow in some cases. Apparently with a decently optimized build that corrects in time though, or so I've heard.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm oblivious to stories in video games, the only ones I ever liked were System Shock 2 and its progeny. Otherwise it's just make numbers go up for me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Stux posted:

It's really not. In PoE ranged characters are way further away compared to D4. I feel like half my goon squad is off the screen doing whatever the gently caress most of the time. Someone mentioned setting the aspect ratio to 21:9 but damned if the game will let me.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I keep dying on the broodguard spider boss in some level 10 dungeon as a sorc. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, following icy veins leveling guide. I see other posts about this boss saying it should be no big deal for sorc.

Am I supposed to be upgrading my gear? Diablo should not be this unfun. I’ve never hit a wall in a Diablo game at level loving 10.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

I keep dying on the broodguard spider boss in some level 10 dungeon as a sorc. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, following icy veins leveling guide. I see other posts about this boss saying it should be no big deal for sorc.

Am I supposed to be upgrading my gear? Diablo should not be this unfun. I’ve never hit a wall in a Diablo game at level loving 10.

I think I know which one you're talking about and I managed to take it down on T2 at about level 14 as sorc. It's a long fight with a bunch of kiting and keeping shields up. I used frozen orb + hydra.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone having rubberbanding issues or freezing at startup? Pretty regularly have his happen but nothing else in the house is having any trouble with internet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone having rubberbanding issues or freezing at startup? Pretty regularly have his happen but nothing else in the house is having any trouble with internet.

Did you update your video drivers? Both companies released new drivers for D4 this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Philthy posted:

It's really not. In PoE ranged characters are way further away compared to D4. I feel like half my goon squad is off the screen doing whatever the gently caress most of the time. Someone mentioned setting the aspect ratio to 21:9 but damned if the game will let me.

its literally the same