Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Got an Amazon link to a boost pack on Amazon? I'm making a car first aid kit, and need to throw one of those in it. The anonymous brand Chinese junk is overwhelming.

It would be for a 2013 Chevy Spark and secondarily a 2013 Hyundai Tucson.

I like to be over prepared for problems, but I'm also on a fixed income. So not the most expensive, but not the cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Captain Log posted:

Got an Amazon link to a boost pack on Amazon? I'm making a car first aid kit, and need to throw one of those in it. The anonymous brand Chinese junk is overwhelming.

I like to be over prepared for problems, but I'm also on a fixed income. So not the most expensive, but not the cheapest.

I have a Duracell-branded USB lithium one thats been alright the past year, but the ergonomics could be way better. Probably way better ones out there, but at least its trustworthy enough.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Captain Log posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC

Noco is reasonably well known for battery chargers and boost packs. You could probably go with the GB20, or set up a CamelCamelCamel alert -- it goes on sale reasonably often.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I cant stress enough how useful project farms video is on this topic. There are definite differences between products and, at least for the poo poo Ive been jump starting, it is the difference between working and not working.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I can't stress enough how little I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream about lithium battery packs for 15 minutes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I can't stress enough how little I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream about lithium battery packs for 15 minutes.

uhhI wouldnt really call the Project Farm people methd up rednecks screaming but maybe thats me

seems like an unnecessarily ugly thing to say

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

uhhI wouldnt really call the Project Farm people methd up rednecks screaming but maybe thats me

seems like an unnecessarily ugly thing to say

Yea I generally dont police other peoples opinions but gotta say Project Farm, although infected by the normal youtoober personality virus for financial incentive reasons, seems like good enough people.

I wouldnt actually watch whole vids like that Id usually skim them.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 2, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Project farm as methed up rednecks screaming is a pretty dumb thing to say. Dude tests consumer goods and makes reviews.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Safety Dance posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC

Noco is reasonably well known for battery chargers and boost packs. You could probably go with the GB20, or set up a CamelCamelCamel alert -- it goes on sale reasonably often.

I snagged this one and it's showing up tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for my trunk.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Project farm as methed up rednecks screaming is a pretty dumb thing to say. Dude tests consumer goods and makes reviews.

This thread is now a project farm defense thread. He's great. Just like a little bit weird dude testing things with his own metrics based on real world applications. I've learned quite a bit about a range of things from those videos.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Safety Dance posted:

lmao boy a hard swing and a miss and it really reflects poorly on you, for real.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah the dude doesn't have the greatest on-camera presence or a pleasant voice but he does good work and is worth watching if he's testing stuff you consider purchasing
E: i'm not entirely convinced about the value of his lubricity test rig though

Invalido fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 2, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

This thread is now a project farm defense thread.

He's awesome, apparently he actually has a farm and especially in the early years he was just testing stuff as he would buy it, he has a real working knowledge of how the tools are actually used and real failure points. True gem of YouTube

One thing I've noticed is that harbor freight is pretty consistently in the top third of the tools reviewed regardless of price, to the point now that unless it's a particularly important tool I'll just go buy the HF version without thinking about it

I still need to go open up the gear on my angle grinder and see how much lube it came with but it's got at least an hour of use on it so far and hasn't grenaded on me yet so it's probably fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
quick, somebody show the tool thread that post lmao

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

quick, somebody show the tool thread that post lmao

Ok.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

lmao boy a hard swing and a miss and it really reflects poorly on you, for real.

I admit I was pretty harsh.I'm cranky this morning. I'm sorry. I subscribe to his channel and watch it occasionally. But he does talk very loud and his videos are mind numbingly dull excel spreadsheets.

e: and any time the Farmabago comes out, I have to turn it off.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 2, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Something about the way he reads off manufacturer claims on their packaging really makes me laugh. Otherwise I mostly skip through his vids looking for relevant parts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Safety Dance posted:

his videos are mind numbingly dull excel spreadsheets.

That's it. I've only seen a handful of his videos and every time I feel like I could have just looked at a table with this information and made my own decision in a couple of minutes. But I can see how demonstrating things and letting people see what he's doing is important to people.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

Something about the way he reads off manufacturer claims on their packaging really makes me laugh.

:same:

It's just packaging lingo to make you buy it, but he reads it with such conviction and truth to it.

""STOPS AND PREVENTS ENGINE SEAL LEAKS. MADE IN YOU ESS EYY"

I watch him all the time and have definitely bought things just because his chart said it was the best value.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

e: and any time the Farmabago comes out, I have to turn it off.

:catstare:

Bank posted:

I watch him all the time and have definitely bought things just because his chart said it was the best value.

I have as well, usually with good results - the Milwaukee leather gloves he recommended are super nice. On the flip side he gave high marks to the Tractor Supply jeans and while they were comfortable, they also blew the crotch out within just a few months.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

CE Schmidt Jeans or did tractor supply change brands?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bank posted:

It's just packaging lingo to make you buy it, but he reads it with such conviction and truth to it.

I think one of my favorites is when he tested diesel treatments.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Bank posted:

And we're gonna test that!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IOwnCalculus posted:

:catstare:

I have as well, usually with good results - the Milwaukee leather gloves he recommended are super nice. On the flip side he gave high marks to the Tractor Supply jeans and while they were comfortable, they also blew the crotch out within just a few months.

You want jeans that'll last, spend the extra at the All-American Clothing Company: https://www.allamericanclothing.com/collections/jeans

I bought two pairs of jeans from them. Just replaced them this year; eighteen years on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RadioPassive posted:

CE Schmidt Jeans or did tractor supply change brands?

Blue Mountain. I wasn't too surprised; they were cheap to buy and they were definitely more breathable than most, but I suppose that only comes by there being less strength to the fabric itself. Meanwhile I've got a pair of Wranglers that are so old I have no idea when I bought them that are still holding up, but they're about to wear through everywhere all at once.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Invalido posted:

E: i'm not entirely convinced about the value of his lubricity test rig though

Isn't it just a simplified HFRR rig of sorts?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
How risky is it to get a prius catalytic converter off eBay? I thought there was a shortage driving prices up into the thousands, but most of these are $60-$150. What gives? Am I not getting the full assembly? Are they making bad claims as to what will actually fit my car? Inferior materials that will blow up on me?

If any of these are legit, or at least safe enough to drive, I am totally ready to just bypass the insurance company.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cheap catalytic converters generally have a fraction of the actual catalyst that an OEM converter would have. They're also not going to be legal to use in CA (or other CARB states), specifically because they don't do as good a job of cleaning the exhaust.

They'll be safe to drive, but might not even be effective enough to keep the check engine light from turning on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

How risky is it to

Generally if you have to ask, it almost certainly exceeds your risk tolerance

Buying things of a specific purity (chemicals) or quantity of an expensive substance (lithium batteries, inkjet ink, laser toner etc) where it's difficult for the buyer to certify what they bought is within spec without destroying it, ebay is not the correct place to buy that thing

Catalayic converters are full of platinum which is as expensive as gold. Would you buy a weddng band on ebay that cost 10% that of a registered brick and mortar jewler?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Running catless straight pipes on the Prius. Thinking about doing a cold air intake.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

AI Stupid Questions: Running catless straight pipes on the Prius. Thinking about doing a cold air intake.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Safety Dance posted:

The guy is absolutely not a methed up redneck, he's just seemingly on the spectrum and doesn't have a vocal coach. His testing is pretty awesome and standardized too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's not just precious metal amount. The substrate structure is also very important for TWCs. I wouldn't get anything other than oem if I could help it. That said, it's expensive as balls so.. /sigh

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 3, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hi thread, any recent methods for gaining access to my vehicle's (VIN) AutoCheck or CARFAX at a reduced or extremely reduced rate of dollars?

The answer seems to change every 6 months or so as they change things around so figured I would ask, but I think finally there may be no other ways left. And the mods haven't gotten upset at this stupid question AFAIK.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I've used this 3 times and it worked fine. Shows the Carfax immediately after payment and I save a pdf of it:
https://www.vinsandcars.com/

It's a few bucks and I am 99% sure the guy has an unlimited monthly account or is a dealer and sets this up as a source of side money.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Running catless straight pipes on the Prius. Thinking about doing a cold air intake.

Lol. You guys are joking but my gf's mom is trying to get a mobile mechanic to fix this so we can move the car to another city and his first suggestion is "a pipe". Things are starting to progress without my input, so real quick:

1) Is the engine light issue a false alarm or is it actually damage happening to the car?
2) Any brand recommendations?

EDIT: Okay, the guy apparently switched to offering an actual generic converter, and he has good reviews online. At least the car will be usable until the inspection comes up.

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 4, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where does the Detroit Diesel GMC 6-71 Supercharger Blower sit on the roots style supercharger rankings? I guess it's sort of the OG industrial turned hot rod supercharger

It's designed to feed a 2 stroke 426ci at, I dunno but probably 400-2900rpm

Seems like it would be adequate to push a couple psi on a 325ci from 700-2500rpm? Being roots style you get boost starting at low rpm vs something like a centrifugal that only starts to make boost above ~2000rpm

Most superchargers run like, $3000 used

Why am I seeing the GMC 6-71 all day at, uh, $350 to $1000? Looks like a "rebuild kit" consists of $99-$119 worth of sealed bearings? What's the dealio, yo

$350 https://www.ebay.com/itm/195784951553
$1000 https://www.ebay.com/itm/195784940084

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404223935608

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
iirc, the ones used on hotrods aren't just straight off a DD. people move the vanes closer to each other to get more compression, making them more suitable to a hotrod motor. modern ones you buy from BDS or the blower shop or w/e are already set up that way, but it would be some custom machining on an old DD pull.

plus, there's all the pulley/belt stuff that has to be adapted onto the snout, and if it's anything like other front accessory stuff, it probably won't be cheap unless you're making your own.

i mean by all means go for it, see what happens, just keep in mind that pretty much anything you see sticking through a camaro's hood or whatever isn't actually a detroit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

1) Is the engine light issue a false alarm or is it actually damage happening to the car?
EDIT: Okay, the guy apparently switched to offering an actual generic converter, and he has good reviews online. At least the car will be usable until the inspection comes up.

Being a full-on pedant here, but technically there's no such thing as a false alarm check engine light. The primary purpose of the CEL is to alert the driver (and an emissions inspector) that the computer has reason to believe that the vehicle is operating outside of the designed emissions parameters.

Swinging way back the other way, the most common "damaging" CEL is an active misfire, which gets reported as a blinking CEL instead of just a steady-on light. But the main component you'd be worrying about damage on in that situation is the catalytic converter.

In the real world, a cheap or non-existent cat is almost certainly going to set P0420 for the catalytic converter not working properly. If you don't ever go through emissions inspections, there's nothing to stop you from driving it forever with P0420 set. However, you are going to be polluting a good deal more and people are going to give one hell of a hairy eyeball to a Prius that smells like a Subaru with a "test pipe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interesting thanks. Yeah I found some company starting with a W they make a clone

So of interest, the first image I posted is a 6-71 which mounts flush (after you cut off the lip and some cosmetic stuff to the ribs) with an 8 bolt mount pattern. That's the standard, most supercharger intakes are designed for that

The second image is actually a 6v-71 which has weird tabs and then great long bolts, like 8" that run at a 45° angle which presumably are a lot harder for shops only equipped with 2 axis milling machines to make adapters for and why they're less desirable