Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
how tf did u ever play d2 in 4:3 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Books On Tape posted:

I keep dying on the broodguard spider boss in some level 10 dungeon as a sorc. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, following icy veins leveling guide. I see other posts about this boss saying it should be no big deal for sorc.

Am I supposed to be upgrading my gear? Diablo should not be this unfun. I’ve never hit a wall in a Diablo game at level loving 10.

this is just pathetic

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Stux posted:

how tf did u ever play d2 in 4:3 lol

CRT contrast was just that good looking.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Stux posted:

this is just pathetic

You can do better than this I believe in you.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Stux posted:

d3 is dog poo poo, everything about 4 is better

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat this slowly takes more than 10GB of vram at 3440x1400 full ultra settings, rip my 3080 10GB

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I said come in! posted:

I don't like how much NPC interaction you have in the D4 story, it was bad enough in D3. And then you have moments of hunting and pecking around for clues and quest objects, and this just isn't that kind of RPG.

I know Blizzard is known for pretty half-rear end stories in their games, and this is no exception, but it still doesn't change the fact that this story is really bad and boring.

I feel like I was able to skip through all the story in beta, although I definitely just left the room to get drinks or what not during some of it. Bad plot in a video game only bothers me personally if it’s unskippable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BurningBeard posted:

You can do better than this I believe in you.

its too depressing to even flame lol

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there an option to see framerate on the screen anywhere, I'm not seeing it.

VVV Ohhhhh, thanks.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 2, 2023

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Ctrl + R

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Why did you decide to play Diablo 4 over another game?

edit: You can read what was written as it was quoted I just don't like where the conversation was heading and if people keep quoting the original post I'll really want to respond and the whole thread will get derailed. Just pretend this was the question being asked, without any of my feelings towards Blizzard and their games being made obvious.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 2, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

What compels people to play blizzards new mediocre gruel (I mean I suppose it could be an actually good game, and I'm being unfair but I doubt it)? Is it all nostalgia? Is it a desperation for any ARPG? Is it because you can't avoid it? Friends are playing it? Like what would Blizzard have to do to get people to stop eating their gruel? I suppose people are just happy it isn't a cellphone Diablo. I'm honestly curious and not just thinking "you're loving idiots stop buying poo poo from poo poo companies you morons" way (I assure you I am thinking that).

:ok:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Trampleslide Druid in so much fun. Watching my whole screen turn into landslides that chew up all enemies is great. Earth is absolutely where it’s at and not those boring tornados.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when you kill enemies with the druid's vines theres a cool animation where they get slowly dragged down into the earth kicking and screaming

take that you goddamn demon bastards

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CharlestonJew posted:

when you kill enemies with the druid's vines theres a cool animation where they get slowly dragged down into the earth kicking and screaming

take that you goddamn demon bastards

It’s so good. The Druid aesthetic is perfect from their beefy bodies to all the visuals.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

What compels people to play blizzards new mediocre gruel (I mean I suppose it could be an actually good game, and I'm being unfair but I doubt it)? Is it all nostalgia? Is it a desperation for any ARPG? Is it because you can't avoid it? Friends are playing it? Like what would Blizzard have to do to get people to stop eating their gruel? I suppose people are just happy it isn't a cellphone Diablo. I'm honestly curious and not just thinking "you're loving idiots stop buying poo poo from poo poo companies you morons" way (I assure you I am thinking that).

Cuz it’s fun

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Duck and Cover posted:

clicking skeletons until they explode is fun

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can someone post some online therapy links in the OP (not related to the angry gamer)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

ready to add this to the list of threads you're banned from eh lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why are you playing video games ??

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

All games are a pointless exercise in disassociation to distract from our lives. Blizzard just happens to be the best at creating games that make that time melt away faster without the user, or "gamer", feeling like they're wasting their time (even though they certainly are). The only thing that compares is endlessly scrolling TikTok.

So like that Kermit avatar goon said, online therapy links would be helpful, yes please

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

I feel like I was able to skip through all the story in beta, although I definitely just left the room to get drinks or what not during some of it. Bad plot in a video game only bothers me personally if it’s unskippable

Some of the cutscenes you'll encounter, cannot be skipped, this appears to be a bug though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

ready to add this to the list of threads you're banned from eh lmao

Yeah yeah I know how hostile people can get if they see anything that may challenge their fun. That's not my goal and I'm not going to have the same argument about it. There are no wrong answers that answer the question, although I suppose my question was flawed. Why Diablo 4 over another game would probably be better a better question.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah yeah I know how hostile people can get if they see anything that may challenge their fun. That's not my goal and I'm not going to have the same argument about it. There are no wrong answers that answer the question, although I suppose my question was flawed. Why Diablo 4 over another game would probably be better a better question.

Once FFXVI is out I won't be playing D4 anymore anyways.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

May I recommend you four separately purchased KFC sandwiches? It would give your threadshitting a certain gravitas and stink it currently lacks. Namasde.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Lv 27 at wt2 and I am getting a bit of the level scaling see-saw effect people were mentioning. I’m blowing poo poo up and then a few levels later my gear is behind. I’ve respecced a few times purely because the specific weapon in my barbs arsenal I had to use for a spender hadn’t been replaced in ages. Feels bad when the skill that refreshes on kill goes from one shorting everything to needing a regular skeleton at half hp.

Barb still owns tho. I don’t like ww for leveling. Bash/hammer of the ancients and the bleed skills are what I use the most.

Edit: the only non-story leggo I got was rear end. 1h hammer adds extra bleed damage when berserking. I don’t have enough zerk activators for that paltry poo poo.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 2, 2023

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Duck and Cover posted:

explain to me how you think you're having fun right now. my enlightened mind could use a distraction

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I know it’s hard, because we live in a cruel and terrible world, but it is okay to enjoy things. Endlessly flagellating yourself and convincing yourself that nothing can be good, or fun, or other than misery does not, in fact, make anything better.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
"How can people like things I don't like? I don't understand"

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

Even if that was the right question, I don’t really see the value it adds to the thread.

Hell I’ll bite not that it’s gonna change your disposition.

D4 is a polished, good looking, good sounding, smooth playing ARPG with a budget. That by itself makes it stand out. Why Diablo? Because every other comparable ARPG was made by an indie, with the jank this would imply. ARPG fans don’t get a ton of options. The aforementioned indies all target a certain subset of ARpg players. PoE for the spreadsheet math nerds, Last Epoch for a middleground between PoE and Diablo, Grim Dawn for taking Diablo II’s starting point and emphasizing different things about it.

In short, none of these games are as graphically/auditorially pleasing. All of them have chosen certain facets of ARpg conventions to emphasize, but all of those emphases shrink the fanbase.

D4 smartly hodgepodges all the ideas that have developed from all those disparate games over the years and gives them a broad audience. That’s why D4.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Got to level 17 or 18 last night on druid, last thing I did was unlock the druid stronghold. Overall it just feels like more Diablo with a lot of the friction removed. I think I'm really going to like the open world going forward; don't have to worry about did I run out of GR keys? Is this a good rift map? Just walk out of town and start smashing face, and it won't be too long before you hit a world event and you're smashing face with a clear goal. I obviously haven't gotten to Whispering Tree stuff yet, but I feel like they've got the framework to build on here to make bounties/seasonal dailies something enjoyable, rather than just a chore you want to do as quickly as possible, only when necessary. Chained world events building to a big outdoor world boss could be a lot of fun.

Likewise, the gear system so far seems like the best out of any Diablo I've played. I enjoyed being able to craft stuff in D3, even if only a tiny minority of crafted sets stayed relevant for endgame. Basically being able to create your own legendary with rares that you've upgraded as you go feels closer to that system and a lot better than getting spammed with a crapload of rares and maybe one legendary you care about per boss kill, most of which is going to be salvaged. I haven't even gotten a legendary yet, but my engagement with upgrading rare and magic items so far feels like they made a good decision here.

Books On Tape posted:

I keep dying on the broodguard spider boss in some level 10 dungeon as a sorc. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, following icy veins leveling guide. I see other posts about this boss saying it should be no big deal for sorc.

Am I supposed to be upgrading my gear? Diablo should not be this unfun. I’ve never hit a wall in a Diablo game at level loving 10.

I started following an icy-veins leveling guide for druid and it was a bit poo poo. I enjoyed using them for Diablo 3 but I think I'm going to lean more on maxroll.gg or sit through a Rhykker video or something when I roll an alt. It had me specced into Tornado before switching over to a companion build at level 15, and I probably would've had more fun if I had built up the companion build the whole time. Tornado was supposed to be my big-damage spender, but it was unreliable and hard to target. Maybe check some other guides and respec.

I have to agree with everyone who's hating on the skill tree interface; it already feels like it's due for an overhaul. I would have rather they did some sort of tabbed interface like vanilla WoW. It especially de-emphasizes the minor stat boost skills that aren't directly attached to unlocking or upgrading an active skill. Do I want to take these right away or come back to them? If so, when? Will they still be relevant when I start paragon boards? Almost certainly yes, but I bet a lot of more casual players who aren't necessarily following a build guide might overlook them, and having them lost in this oversized interface that's hard to grasp all at once doesn't help.

I still have yet to judge the experience of leveling an alt without slogging through campaign again, and I probably won't get around to that until next weekend or the very end of this weekend. That's actually going to be quite important for the game's longevity for me. I'd rank myself as a fairly casual D3 player, especially since I only ever bothered to take seriously maybe 3 or 4 out of the many seasons that have gone on. Part of that was because getting started by leveling to 70 and collecting the initial paragons was a tedious, perfunctory slog with little in the way of fun gameplay value. A lot of the time I just didn't feel like logging on to beg for a power level, or me and my one buddy who I knew would be good for it just didn't sync up until a few weeks in, or he started the season on PC while I was on Switch... An easy solo start to alt/seasonal leveling that engages me right away is the biggest upgrade they needed to make to keep me hooked for the long term.

edit:

Duck and Cover posted:

Why did you decide to play Diablo 4 over another game?

edit: You can read what was written as it was quoted I just don't like where the conversation was heading and if people keep quoting the original post I'll really want to respond and the whole thread will get derailed. Just pretend this was the question being asked, without any of my feelings towards Blizzard and their games being made obvious.

:gb2gbs: and then leave there too

istewart fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 2, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Duck and Cover posted:

the answer is very simple. other people arent as miserable as you are

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Whether you like it or not Diablo 4 by all accounts, I only paid for the base game, is clearly on the higher end of the "is this game worth it" spectrum, easily above at least some other ARPG or many "another game" options. Even if you don't like ARPGs or have some particular beef with Diablo, if you can't recognize that simple fact then the problem here isn't the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah yeah I know how hostile people can get if they see anything that may challenge their fun.

:ironicat:

Be honest to yourself, the positive reviews and near perfect launch have made you a bit hostile.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol i'm a dumb, make sure you are paying attention to your challenges and claiming the rewards from them. I just got an extra 6 skill points.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

lol i'm a dumb, make sure you are paying attention to your challenges and claiming the rewards from them. I just got an extra 6 skill points.

dang

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

How do you forget this, its right there when you open the tab map if you have any to claim

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:ironicat:

Be honest to yourself, the positive reviews and near perfect launch have made you a bit hostile.

loving selfish rear end streamers playing Diablo 4 when they could be playing a game I'd like to watch (I don't find ARPGs entertaining to watch)! Makes me so mad! I'm not surprised a Blizzard game gets good reviews. A perfect launch is a good thing, I am sick of companies not having enough hosting for there multiplayer games let alone the single player ones that are sort of multiplayer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How do you forget this, its right there when you open the tab map if you have any to claim

I was an impatient gorilla and was like :argh: leave me alone pop ups. I didn't stop to think that this was important, but that is a me problem lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I was an impatient gorilla and was like :argh: leave me alone pop ups. I didn't stop to think that this was important, but that is a me problem lol.

I say "skip" to all cutscenes and popups to the tune of pony by genuwine