Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

box jades feel like the good version of clears: takes a little extra push to get them moving but then they’re quick and smooth. clears are like typing on a broken keyboard.

u fucken take that back :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
browns are the beat switches out there

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

the Q10 has two B keys because I guess people who Type Correctly can use either thumb for that key on un-split keyboards. I thought it was silly but I have noticed that I do use both somehow

I just put my right alt that I never use as my Q10's second B key, and then my right Ctrl key as the right alt.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

except they too light

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

keyboard nerds out there getting rid of the tenkeys only to add more and more b's

a cancerous lump of b keys swelling from the middle of the keyboard

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Buck Turgidson posted:

alpaca supremacy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

id much rather have an alpaca than a keyboard

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
best switches are clearly U4Ts. my keyboard feels pretty much perfect with them and it sounds good, too

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I've got a big container full of spare Kailh Box Navies and unless I somehow find a heavier switch I should be set for a good long while.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

best switches are clearly U4Ts. my keyboard feels pretty much perfect with them and it sounds good, too

my second favorite switch. i’m a linear ho but if i were forced to use a tactile it’d be my u4ts

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i have a kb with clears and a kb with browns. i prefer the browns :shrug: maybe because i don't HaMmEr oN mY keYs lIkE A GoRiLLa

switches matter. but keycaps almost matter more, for a proper keyboardin' experience

your keycaps need to be doubleshot pbt. abs is unacceptable, i don't care how cool it looks, it will turn shiny and feel like garbage. the caps need to be pbt, but this is not enough. the characters shall not be printed on. you want DOUBLE SHOT PBT

i am willing to consider superior plastics or other materials, but abs keycaps are just junk and that's all they'll ever be

idk, i have bunches of shined pbt caps. admittedly i didn't shine them myself, but pbt absolutely can and will shine - it just takes way longer.

also pbt dyesub is totally fine, nothing like pad print, at worst you'll get a bit of bleed after several decades

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Buck Turgidson posted:

i'm still liking my k3 with optical browns but i might get another tester to try the bananas and mints

i did stick a white switch for left shift so it's easy to press quickly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
question that needs to be answered on top of how good a ‘board feels to type on is how many typos you make

imo blues and browns, are just a smidge too light.

is it greens that have the power and strength of clears but the click of blues? I would love to try but tbh idk think it’s necessary, clears still have that threshold to cross and that’s what matters

clacky boards may be superior still, and the clack is acceptable whereas the click is tinny and defeating

clears are clack-ish, the sound of bottoming out on a solid metal chassis

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

question that needs to be answered on top of how good a ‘board feels to type on is how many typos you make

imo blues and browns, are just a smidge too light.

is it greens that have the power and strength of clears but the click of blues? I would love to try but tbh idk think it’s necessary, clears still have that threshold to cross and that’s what matters

clacky boards may be superior still, and the clack is acceptable whereas the click is tinny and defeating

clears are clack-ish, the sound of bottoming out on a solid metal chassis

You want Kailh Box switches if you want the click but with more downforce needed to actuate. The difference between Kailh Box White, Box Jade, and Box Navy is kinda subtle, but I prefer Navy (the stiffest) out of any of them. They use a totally different technology to produce the click as opposed to a Cherry clicky switch so the clicks are less tinny, too.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have a 16" sub and force feedback chest and back pieces for maximum keyfeel

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i have a 16" sub and force feedback chest and back pieces for maximum keyfeel

call me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unless your Typing Experience(tm) is reflected on local seismographs I don’t want your number

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have a 1984 model m and a 1999 model m and I think I prefer the '99 though the forward slash key is starting to double-press occasionally and idk why

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it must be web-compatible :dadjoke:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

typing on a keyboard like those giant pianos at the mall

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If I wanted to get a set of metal keycaps made, is that the kind of thing I could just take a CAD file to a local machine shop for? XDA profile so it would just be like 70 copies of the exact same piece. Weirdly hard to find metal keycaps in that profile, I'd think the simplicity of manufacturing would make it easier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A machine shop could make them for you from a CAD file, sure, but be prepared for an eye-watering bill. A CNC-milled keycap is going to be at least a two-setup three-axis job involving deep machining with small tools, and significant post-processing and finishing. Even if they can gang up all 70 from a single billet, I'm gonna say it'll be at least four figures, and more depending on what you want the finish to look like. Most of the cost will be in the labor for programming and setting up the machine.

Mass produced metal keycaps are probably gonna be done with die casting, which is far cheaper per unit once you've committed to the cost of the die.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just do em by hand with a burr grinder imo, old world craftsmanship style

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look for the blacksmith with an iron rose and a pile of key caps in his shop window

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sagebrush you should know this: is there a filament you can print stuff with and then just put in a sand mold and cast in aluminum or brass? like where the plastic just evaporates into the sand like lost foam casting does?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

sagebrush you should know this: is there a filament you can print stuff with and then just put in a sand mold and cast in aluminum or brass? like where the plastic just evaporates into the sand like lost foam casting does?

wax filament

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

picked up the hhkb type-s. took a bit to get used to it after using a regular pro2 for almost a decade but I gotta say I love the plush feel of the type-s.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i'm not aware of any 3d printer materials that would be light enough to do lost foam casting, exactly. especially with a low melting point metal like aluminum, it wouldn't burn away fast enough and you'd probably always have some soot and crud messing up the casting. but there are a variety of burnout resins and filaments that will melt/burn away cleanly in a kiln if you want to do investment casting instead. in fact regular PLA works pretty well for the purpose aiui. and of course you can do regular sand casting with a 3d printed positive no problem.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i'm not aware of any 3d printer materials that would be light enough to do lost foam casting, exactly. especially with a low melting point metal like aluminum, it wouldn't burn away fast enough and you'd probably always have some soot and crud messing up the casting. but there are a variety of burnout resins and filaments that will melt/burn away cleanly in a kiln if you want to do investment casting instead. in fact regular PLA works pretty well for the purpose aiui. and of course you can do regular sand casting with a 3d printed positive no problem.

ugh an extra step? no thanks. I just wanna bury it in sand and go to town. I'm a busy, handsome man with no time for copes and drags and burnouts and other such horseplay.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

John Madden! John Madden!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

hrmmm

this guy seems to get away with it. Maybe just make the walls real thin? idk.

https://youtu.be/jm8Bxo1IVMA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah he prints it out with really thin walls, rams up the sand mold then burns the pla out with a blowtorch before pouring.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

huh.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

b0red posted:

picked up the hhkb type-s. took a bit to get used to it after using a regular pro2 for almost a decade but I gotta say I love the plush feel of the type-s.

idk what you’re talking about but I like it

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

idk what you’re talking about but I like it

I’m talking topre

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i believe the phrase i want to use here is "i love that, for you!"

those little alts bug me

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

why would you want metal keycaps? i've never tried them before just wondering

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Heavy switches, heavy caps, maximum clicky clacky. At least that's the logic I'm using. I like each keystroke to be as intentional feeling as I can get it, still looking for any switches heavier than Kailh Box Navies.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pneumatic keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Heavy switches, heavy caps, maximum clicky clacky. At least that's the logic I'm using. I like each keystroke to be as intentional feeling as I can get it, still looking for any switches heavier than Kailh Box Navies.

Zeal Clickiez are probably your only bet for mx-style switches at this point.