Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Has anybody checked out Homebody yet?

June is very bad for the wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

al-azad posted:

Has anybody checked out Homebody yet?

June is very bad for the wallet.

I got randomly sent a Steam key and might take a look over the weekend.

There's also an LP on Game Grumps as of today, but they're pretty awful at showcasing games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I got randomly sent a Steam key and might take a look over the weekend.

There's also an LP on Game Grumps as of today, but they're pretty awful at showcasing games.

Key point it's one of their in-house games lol

It looks like a fairly competent horror themed adventure game but I'm waiting on a second opinion before dropping $20.

e: Alright so Homebody seems to be a Groundhog Day game so I'm pretty interested in it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 1, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

Key point it's one of their in-house games lol

It looks like a fairly competent horror themed adventure game but I'm waiting on a second opinion before dropping $20.

e: Alright so Homebody seems to be a Groundhog Day game so I'm pretty interested in it.

Watched a little bit of a playthrough, there's a part right after the first loop, where you speak to someone. As you select your prompts, which are all variants of, like, "oh my god we just got murdered what happened?!", your character instead just says "I'm fine, nothing's wrong" which intrigues me to no end. I love that sort of stuff.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh God yes

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1664645953222070272?t=uJAb2Q2gp6mBVvKPTRaoVA&s=19

True Detective and Se7en inspired campaign is just an angelic choir to my ears

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"True Detective... season 2" oh no!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

"True Detective... season 2" oh no!

Who knows, maybe they'll go for season 1 vibes and have it be pretty great until the final act, which fails in a way that makes you retroactively like the whole story a lot less!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh my loving god, a Remedy pastiche of Pizzolato. It’s going to be so rank

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Who knows, maybe they'll go for season 1 vibes and have it be pretty great until the final act, which fails in a way that makes you retroactively like the whole story a lot less!

Or season 3 where they lure you into thinking it's a rehash of season 1 until the finale where it makes you feel shame for your words and deeds.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm glad they finally got to make the open fieldy Alan wake they always wanted to

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh God yes

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1664645953222070272?t=uJAb2Q2gp6mBVvKPTRaoVA&s=19

True Detective and Se7en inspired campaign is just an angelic choir to my ears

This all sounds great.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It's gonna be painful to wait another year for it to come to Steam.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug

Pyrolocutus posted:

Uhh... I don't know if this is a joke, but this being fully funded and published by Epic, so it has the same chance of coming out on Steam as Counter-Strike 2 does on EGS.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

sam16 posted:

Uhh... I don't know if this is a joke, but this being fully funded and published by Epic, so it has the same chance of coming out on Steam as Counter-Strike 2 does on EGS.

So was Control, no? And that eventually came out on Steam.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Epic paid for exclusivity but this seems like an actual Epic funded and published game so not likely.

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
might be late on the fear and hunger posting train, but really wanted to talk about this game. it's hard for me to describe how I feel about it other than it being one of the most profound works of art I have ever experienced. it is wrong, grotesque, horrible, off-putting, degrading, sickening, and extremely offensive. in a world where "offensive" things are in the "edgelord" domain of demeaning others and promoting reaction, this game is offensive in a much more visceral way, like human beings should not be viewing and experiencing this because it is just so wrong. this, of course, made me magnetize to it to the extreme. the artwork, the background, the settings, all of it just engrosses you in its degradation, and it is the syncretic combination of all these things that synergistically adds to the experience (especially the artwork).

I've always been on the look out for something similar (and I feel like RPG maker is the best medium to have something like this without getting too weird - the artwork is just stylized enough to just barely not be too over-the-top). can never find anything that does it like fear and hunger though (probably because whatever might be similar is hidden behind some kind of "not safe for life" filter). someone mentioned the game "Decarnation" in another thread earlier and the artwork seemed cool, might have to check that out. if anyone has some other recs that would be cool too, because dam is it hard to find people who would admit to being into something like fear and hunger lol.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pyrolocutus posted:

You could just buy it from epic?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Kit posted:

So was Control, no? And that eventually came out on Steam.

Control was published by 505 Games apparently. Still, there's a good chance that AW2 will come to steam eventually, since years from now it'll be worth the steam tax to sell it to a larger audience. It's not like Fortnite where they're processing microtransactions every single day of its existence.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My whole experience playing Fear & Hunger was "Wow, gently caress this. I hate this. But I know what I did wrong and I can get there fast so I'll give it one more go." Repeated over and over ad infinitum.

I just started 2 after being reminded it exists in this thread. It doesn't seem nearly as difficult, but it might be even stingier with save points. The whole thing has very heavy Pathologic vibes, I dig it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Len posted:

You could just buy it from epic?

I don't like the Epic store much but it's always funny hearing people talk like an epic exclusive is coming to a console they don't own lol.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
True Detective S1 was great all the way through. Awake2 is gonna own bones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

veni veni veni posted:

I don't like the Epic store much but it's always funny hearing people talk like an epic exclusive is coming to a console they don't own lol.

My computer just isn't compatible with running an exe :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

The Epic hate is real, I know folks who pass on AAA games they've wanted for years when Epic tosses them out for free or a few bucks. I'd get it if they were actually intrusive spyware or whatever people claimed early on, but they're just another launcher to deal with as far as I know. I'll deal with that to save some bucks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's just dumb culture war bullshit, frankly. The epic client sucks and is worth loling at but, well steam isn't much better at this point tbh.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ashurbanipal posted:

might be late on the fear and hunger posting train, but really wanted to talk about this game. it's hard for me to describe how I feel about it other than it being one of the most profound works of art I have ever experienced. it is wrong, grotesque, horrible, off-putting, degrading, sickening, and extremely offensive. in a world where "offensive" things are in the "edgelord" domain of demeaning others and promoting reaction, this game is offensive in a much more visceral way, like human beings should not be viewing and experiencing this because it is just so wrong. this, of course, made me magnetize to it to the extreme. the artwork, the background, the settings, all of it just engrosses you in its degradation, and it is the syncretic combination of all these things that synergistically adds to the experience (especially the artwork).

I've always been on the look out for something similar (and I feel like RPG maker is the best medium to have something like this without getting too weird - the artwork is just stylized enough to just barely not be too over-the-top). can never find anything that does it like fear and hunger though (probably because whatever might be similar is hidden behind some kind of "not safe for life" filter). someone mentioned the game "Decarnation" in another thread earlier and the artwork seemed cool, might have to check that out. if anyone has some other recs that would be cool too, because dam is it hard to find people who would admit to being into something like fear and hunger lol.

It's actually horrible, in a specific, deliberate way that I think elevates it into the realm of actual horror-as-art. It's really rare to see this these days, we're all so drowned in shock value that being meaningfully disturbing is sort of a rare treat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd get it if they were actually intrusive spyware or whatever people claimed early on, but they're just another launcher to deal with as far as I know.
epic is not "just another launcher" in the way i think you're referring to it.

they've been caught multiple times siphoning up data they shouldn't from, for example, your steam install, and sweeny has been involved in multiple shady deals to sell data to unsavory folks in the past. data sharing was a large part of the tencent deal when that company bought up a major stake in that company, sweeny got a very good deal for what he gave up and the data packages appear to have weighed very heavily on tencent's valuation, for whatever reason. considering tencent's SOP, that means nothing good for privacy. this was further substantiated in 2021 when the biden administration started forcing tencent out of a lot of company ownership positions because of all the shady poo poo they were doing, and one of the only two positions tencent negotiated to keep was the one in Epic. that same year, epic made very little money despite the end-of-pandemic situation because running EGS was costing them billions a year.

when you pair that with the fact that they took many, many years to add basic features because it made it more difficult for them to collect data insights it's very clear that epic is not in the game selling business at all. the entire deal with them is that you give them an undisclosed amount of your personal data and activity in return for games. which, just so we're clear on where i stand on this and this doesn't become a sniping contest: this is functionally the same deal that most of the world made with gmail. you give google an SORTA disclosed amount of your personal data and activities in return for reliable, clean email with quite good spam filters - on the email, anyway. privacy experts have directly linked putting a number on your gmail to a sharp increase in spam calls/texts and identity theft attempts, so even if it's not directly provable it's highly likely that there's a habit of data getting out, however it gets out.

despite all that, in general, the world decided that gmail's service was worth the massive invasion of privacy and subsequent hassle from invariably having your data leaked, sold, or stolen. epic is no different. if you're comfortable with the extra risk or think you have nothing to lose from the risk, then the hundreds of hours of quality entertainment you can get from getting stuff from them is a pretty decent trade.

the reason this is not a bigger deal on the internet is because frankly a lot of the most horrifying poo poo companies do with your data is perfectly legal and done every day. people yell and scream about it but ultimately there ain't a lot of paid privacy activists in washington, but there are plenty of paid activists trying to make data protections weaker. a lot of it gets wrapped up in other innocuous poo poo and nobody even notices for a while. consequently, lots of folks are uncomfortable by default because there's no telling what the rules really are. gmail has SOME disclosures, but the ones that exist are mostly due to government intimidation. which means you can be reasonably sure that google will obfuscate or ignore their own rules if they think they can get away with it. epic hasn't attracted the ire of any regulators yet, not really, so the rules there are a pretty big question mark.

is there any recent smoking gun or anything obviously illegal? no. but people are not being irrational by avoiding EGS, consumer data is still a very wild west situation and epic is much closer to butch cassidy than wyatt earp.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I'm at the point where I always assume everyone is selling my personal data anyway. They can have it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Epic hate is real, I know folks who pass on AAA games they've wanted for years when Epic tosses them out for free or a few bucks. I'd get it if they were actually intrusive spyware or whatever people claimed early on, but they're just another launcher to deal with as far as I know. I'll deal with that to save some bucks.

I used to feel the same was as you, but for a long rear end time Epic had literally none of the important features that Steam did. No I'm not talking about the shopping cart, the main issue was there were no cloud saves. Let me tell you have distraught I was when I reinstalled Zombie Army 4 on a new computer and learned the tens of hours I'd sunk into it was just gone.

Really, really turned me off to Epic launcher in general. Don't care if you get free poo poo, it took them so long to even implement the most basic of poo poo that actively ruined your experience in any game for not being there.

e;fb in terms of other major issues per coolguye. Heck to the Epic launcher and heck to Epic exclusives.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

True Detective S1 was great all the way through. Awake2 is gonna own bones.
It was really on the knife’s edge (got over by strength of performance) but you give that same material to a spirited hack and add both SE7EN influence and comprehensive “world building” and you’re going to end up with something more like The Blacklist than TD S1 or even S3. Remedy’s not an HBO shop in that regard. Maybe Showtime.

Anyway the real problem is that CONTROL’s actual gunplay was very basic and very swingy, meanwhile my most vivid memory of ALAN WAKE is waiting for generators to start while the “use flashlight to strip invincibility” mechanic got beaten into the ground along with a thousand chainsaw wielding construction worker ghosts

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually I lied my most vivid memory of ALAN WAKE is laughing at the first words of the game which are “Stephen King once wrote”. Big subtext.jpeg hours.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

they've been caught multiple times siphoning up data they shouldn't from, for example, your steam install, and sweeny has been involved in multiple shady deals to sell data to unsavory folks in the past. data sharing was a large part of the tencent deal when that company bought up a major stake in that company, sweeny got a very good deal for what he gave up and the data packages appear to have weighed very heavily on tencent's valuation, for whatever reason. considering tencent's SOP, that means nothing good for privacy. this was further substantiated in 2021 when the biden administration started forcing tencent out of a lot of company ownership positions because of all the shady poo poo they were doing, and one of the only two positions tencent negotiated to keep was the one in Epic. that same year, epic made very little money despite the end-of-pandemic situation because running EGS was costing them billions a year.

when you pair that with the fact that they took many, many years to add basic features because it made it more difficult for them to collect data insights it's very clear that epic is not in the game selling business at all. the entire deal with them is that you give them an undisclosed amount of your personal data and activity in return for games. which, just so we're clear on where i stand on this and this doesn't become a sniping contest: this is functionally the same deal that most of the world made with gmail. you give google an SORTA disclosed amount of your personal data and activities in return for reliable, clean email with quite good spam filters - on the email, anyway. privacy experts have directly linked putting a number on your gmail to a sharp increase in spam calls/texts and identity theft attempts, so even if it's not directly provable it's highly likely that there's a habit of data getting out, however it gets out.

despite all that, in general, the world decided that gmail's service was worth the massive invasion of privacy and subsequent hassle from invariably having your data leaked, sold, or stolen. epic is no different. if you're comfortable with the extra risk or think you have nothing to lose from the risk, then the hundreds of hours of quality entertainment you can get from getting stuff from them is a pretty decent trade.

the reason this is not a bigger deal on the internet is because frankly a lot of the most horrifying poo poo companies do with your data is perfectly legal and done every day. people yell and scream about it but ultimately there ain't a lot of paid privacy activists in washington, but there are plenty of paid activists trying to make data protections weaker. a lot of it gets wrapped up in other innocuous poo poo and nobody even notices for a while. consequently, lots of folks are uncomfortable by default because there's no telling what the rules really are. gmail has SOME disclosures, but the ones that exist are mostly due to government intimidation. which means you can be reasonably sure that google will obfuscate or ignore their own rules if they think they can get away with it. epic hasn't attracted the ire of any regulators yet, not really, so the rules there are a pretty big question mark.

is there any recent smoking gun or anything obviously illegal? no. but people are not being irrational by avoiding EGS, consumer data is still a very wild west situation and epic is much closer to butch cassidy than wyatt earp.

You got any sources for that yet? Don't forget you got a whole rule created for the free games thread because of this :tinfoil: posting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Len posted:

You got any sources for that yet? Don't forget you got a whole rule created for the free games thread because of this :tinfoil: posting

yes, there's lots of sources on that and it's silly to say i was the cause of anything in that thread because i was absent from the SA as a whole for years due to work and making my own game. i just had to go check but the rules you are apparently referring to were made in my absence. you can check the rimworld thread if you want proof of the fact that i disappeared.

consequently this is in such ridiculously poor faith that i don't really feel the need to engage with it further. as i said in the post you quoted, i am not interested in starting a sniping war. i'm just stating the situation. what you choose to do is none of my concern nor my business. though i'd appreciate it if you could get the gently caress over a years-old internet grudge.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I'm at the point where I always assume everyone is selling my personal data anyway. They can have it.

it's a very reasonable assumption to make that unless you are paying for a service with money, you are paying for it with your data. and in a lot of ways that's a great equalizer. these services are set up to aggregate and yeah sure there's a lot of personally identifiable poo poo that goes in there, in the Big Data sense it's kind of unlikely that they will use a pauper's data too differently from a prince's. which means that even homeless person leeching off of their friend's wifi can have a legitimate looking email to find work and also have decent entertainment options while they are trying to hustle for work, because their data is treated just the same as BigFinance McDouchebag's. or whatever the situation is. i legit think that's a great thing that marketplaces have ended up offering people.

if that pauper ends up theoretically making it big and becoming a prince they can have the mo money mo problems situation of trying to get their poo poo off the darkweb. at that point they have the resources to give a poo poo.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 3, 2023

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Coolguye posted:

yes, there's lots of sources on that and it's silly to say i was the cause of anything in that thread because i was absent from the SA as a whole for years due to work and making my own game. i just had to go check but the rules you are apparently referring to were made in my absence. you can check the rimworld thread if you want proof of the fact that i disappeared.

consequently this is in such ridiculously poor faith that i don't really feel the need to engage with it further. as i said in the post you quoted, i am not interested in starting a sniping war. i'm just stating the situation. what you choose to do is none of my concern nor my business. though i'd appreciate it if you could get the gently caress over a years-old internet grudge.

it's a very reasonable assumption to make that unless you are paying for a service with money, you are paying for it with your data. and in a lot of ways that's a great equalizer. these services are set up to aggregate and yeah sure there's a lot of personally identifiable poo poo that goes in there, in the Big Data sense it's kind of unlikely that they will use a pauper's data too differently from a prince's. which means that even homeless person leeching off of their friend's wifi can have a legitimate looking email to find work and also have decent entertainment options while they are trying to hustle for work, because their data is treated just the same as BigFinance McDouchebag's. or whatever the situation is. i legit think that's a great thing that marketplaces have ended up offering people.

if that pauper ends up theoretically making it big and becoming a prince they can have the mo money mo problems situation of trying to get their poo poo off the darkweb. at that point they have the resources to give a poo poo.

Please. Please let us have the horror games thread in peace. I promise to never install the Epic Games launcher ever again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
World War 3 was started when Comrade Xi refused to release Alan Wake 2 in America.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Coolguye posted:

Didn't read lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

You mean the rule that came up on the same page as this post?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760415&pagenumber=54&perpage=40&userid=0#post503639692

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
lmao stupid launcher wars bullshit

Has anyone played Chromosome Evil?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Plenty of time after I made the post and more people dog piled over a culture war thing. Kindly get over your grudge from years ago. Thanks in advance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

Plenty of time after I made the post and more people dog piled over a culture war thing. Kindly get over your grudge from years ago. Thanks in advance.

it's eight posts down the page and less than 12 hours later lol

i might be holding a stupid internet grudge but at least i can read (sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Len posted:

it's eight posts down the page and less than 12 hours later lol

i might be holding a stupid internet grudge but at least i can read (sometimes)

OK. Forgive me for remembering that one thing wrong. Rather than the other problems that showed up in that thread while I wasn’t around. It amazes me that you can remember that with such clarity. Now I’ve apologized. Can you stop with the stupid grudge now? Forever, preferably?