Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a recommended mod-pack for doing a medieval TC?

Edit- Oops, page snipe

Here is my darling boy special man as tribute

Wrr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tesla was right posted:

If I recall correctly, you can drop pod to any point on the map once it's loaded, so a boomalope (that they kill) plus a bunch of chemfuel makes for a nice fire in the middle of their base.

I've never had cause to try it though, because when I was going around destroying bases, they were all from VFE Mechanoids, so immune to fire.

Edit: In retrospect I should have dropped a boomalope and a bunch of high-explosive shells, so that the boomalope's death ignites the shells.

Mix an antigrain in there.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
really gently caress up their rice

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dirk the Average posted:

Look, just because a group of Punishers can completely obliterate a raid as it spawns on the map edge (and the TACS ensures that you can't get dropped on), doesn't mean that it's too powerful!

I love Rimatomics (and Bad Hygiene, and Rimefeller) and play with it pretty much on every save, but endgame it really does trivialize just about any raid if you set up your defenses properly.

One time I still managed to get overwhelmed despite having a well-developed colony with plenty of Rimatomics defenses. So I had one of my colonists retrieve a warhead from storage and arm it with the minimum timer as a final gently caress you to those raiders. You're not getting any of my poo poo.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just got back into playing this over the last couple of days, last time I checked it out was a few years ago before any of the expansions.

I never really got too deep into it before, but after a few hours this time around, I got to my biggest colony ever. 16 people, including 1 baby, with enough crops and farm animals to provide food for all. Everyone was strapped with shotguns and machine pistolss, we'd easily fought off multiple small raids and everything was looking pretty secure. I'd even managed to research and install prostethic limbs on colonists who'd misplaced their originals.

I got a message about some mechanoids landing nearby, but apparently they might not activate for a few days, so I had a chance to prepare. There were 2 nasty-looking robts and 2 turrets, and they all seemed dormant, but there was a timer that had about four days on it. When reading the descriptions of the mechanoids, it kept mentioning that they were all seemingly weak to melee. So I tooled up the whole colony with clubs and axes and sent them off, figuring that this was a good opportunity to batter the robots before they woke up.

My crew surrounded the mechanoids and started wailing on the biggest one. As I'd kind of suspected might happen, the robots all woke up as soon as I started whacking them, but they only got in a couple of hits before my first target was down, so I figured we were looking good to take out the remaining three with minimal casualties. The colonists' next target was one of the turrets, which they also managed to quickly defeat and in turn activate it's auto-destruct feature that I wasn't aware of.

The explosion killed 12 out of 15 colonists instantly, as well as the other turret. Of the remaining three, one was incapacitated, and the other two were severely injured. They tried to make it back to the colony, but were gunned down by the last mechanoid. Things were looking grim as the mechanoid continued towards the colony, presumably intent on eradicating the infant who was currently the de facto mayor, with our only other survivor bleeding out amongst the tangle of corpses and smoking robot parts.

Then a mysterious man in black arrived on the scene. "Shortass", a rotund figure with a ginger goatee and deadly aim, faced down the mechanoid with his revolver. He took a couple of hits, but managed to destroy the robot. He wasn't injured too badly, and even managed to drag our surviving colonist back to a hospital bed, but was too slow to administer enough aid before they bled out.

Shortass wasn't skilled at childcare, but he'd arrived in the colony's time of need, and the infant was the only one left there for him to save. He managed to cook up some baby food and after that, spent the next couple of weeks just maintaining the colony as best he could whilst taking care of the baby. With enough food stored up for 16 people, he didn't need to worry about hunting, farming or cooking. There was just enough time in the day for him to refuel the generators and torches around camp, tend to the baby and feed himself. Occasionally he would play pool in the rec room, made slightly difficult by the fact that, as a non-essential area, the torch was not being refuelled so he was playing in the dark.

The unburied bodies of the people he'd tried to save weighed heavily on his mind. He managed to find enough time to bury one of them every couple of days, but it wasn't enough. One afternoon, it all got too much for him, and he went into an eating frenzy. It lasted so long that, whilst he gorged himself, the baby became hungry, then ravenous, then malnourished. Thankfully, Shortass snapped out of it before the baby starved, and managed to feed him.

He managed to hold it together a bit better over the next few days, until a trading party of slavers arrived. It cost him basically all of the silver that the colony had amassed up until that point, but he managed to buy the freedom of two other people. A frail old human man and a hardy pigskin woman, both of whom refused to do any hauling work. But it was enough to just have an extra pair of hands (and trotters) around the place to look after the baby, giving Shortass precious time to start putting things right, hauling everything to where it needed to be and, most importantly, finally burying all of the dead colonists.

Things are still kind of rocky, but are looking a bit more promising. The colony still seems very empty with only four people in it. The old man occasionally needs to be put in hospital when he passes out from imbibing too much smokeleaf, but he has a knack for training animals, and has tamed four guinea pigs already. The pigskin woman is skilled at childcare, and has pretty much taken over looking after the infant. Shortass now can work on things like fixing the animal pen fences, or building coolers when a heatwave arrived, which would've doubtless finished him and the baby off had it happened before the slavers had turned up.

I really like how this particular save is turning out, it really does feel like a story of frontier-era struggle and survival. Most times I'd probably have just quit if I'd lost all but one colonist, but with it being a 'man in black' event, I felt that I should at least try and see if he would be able to save someone. I'm glad I did, because it's just added so much more flavour to the story. It's highly likely that the four of them won't make it; they're still quite vulnerable to any kind of random event at this point. But I'm going to try and push on and see if I can get the number of colonists back up to where it was before. If nothing else, if the baby survives and grows up, it's a heck of an origin story.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
and that child grew up to become the next mib

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one who just loves mountain bases? Even from the base release I've always found them just better than outdoor structures. Especially when you get up to 10-15 colonists it's really not that much difference in construction time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The free temperature control and protection against mortars and drop pods with mountain bases is indeed very good, though not everyone likes dealing with infestations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

isndl posted:

The free temperature control and protection against mortars and drop pods with mountain bases is indeed very good, though not everyone likes dealing with infestations.

Bugs are candy rear end. You throw a couple of melee fighters out front and then have everyone else just murder them with gunfire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah the biggest annoyance with bug infestations is when they spawn on top of furniture or workbenches and break them but you can avoid that once you set up some sort of bait room for them to spawn in instead (dark, has some furniture you don't mind getting destroyed) and keep everywhere else well-lit. Actually fighting with them and dealing with aftermath is a pleasant little skirmish :black101:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Undergrounders 4 lyfe: Rock Sky Or Bust!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rock and Stone

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Trapping and cooking bugs raiders underground remains one of my favorite past times.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

zenguitarman posted:

Trapping and cooking bugs raiders underground remains one of my favorite past times.

Ah yes, have them spawn in the giant cavern that contains one building, give them a few seasons to breed, then set a fire and cask of amontillado them till crispy

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Won't that destroy all the delicious insect meat and jelly, though?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still so sad about learning bugs are immune to toxin while halfway through building a big rear end helixen fumigation system :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

I'm still so sad about learning bugs are immune to toxin while halfway through building a big rear end helixen fumigation system :negative:

Isn't helixen flammable?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
they aren't just toxic immune, they have the Toxic Stimulation gene, i.e. toxic buffs them

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Krowley posted:

Won't that destroy all the delicious insect meat and jelly, though?

If you dial it in just right, they die of heatstroke without catching on fire

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a mod that allows you to extract genes from animals? It'd be neat being able to get stuff like that toxin gene that way

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Flesh Forge posted:

they aren't just toxic immune, they have the Toxic Stimulation gene, i.e. toxic buffs them

That explains why toxin melts attract them then at least.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Welp, everyone's dead.

Shortass, the old man (Jallet) and the pigskin (Weog) managed to keep the baby alive until she grew to a child (Laila).

Things were ticking over just about, but a pack of mad Alphabeavers invaded the camp and injured everyone. Shortass was the only one left standing, and he managed to haul Jallet, Weog and Laila to the hospital and tend to their wounds before he bled out himself.

Laila was too young to tend to the other two, and they starved in their sickbeds whilst she recuperated. For a few days, she wandered the colony alone. Unable to cook for herself, she subsisted on raw duck eggs and ambrosia. It was a pretty miserable existence, so it wasn't too surprising when she broke and went on a psychite binge. There was a small stash of Flake in storage, scavenged from a raider from weeks past. Laila quickly overdosed and almost died, but managed to pull through.

A few days later a wanderer arrived, asking to shelter there for 20 days. She was a psycopath torturer, but beggars can't be choosers, so she was welcomed aboard. She was a good cook, and quickly filled the freezer with meals, so even if she didn't decide to join permanently after the duration of her stay, Laila looked to be set for a while afterwards.

Then a shuttle landed, to complete a mission that I'd completely forgotten about. A few weeks ago, the colony had agreed to look after a noble's favorite pet, and they were now collecting. The reward was a new colonist, who was a hard-working combat medic, and also a skilled constructor and planter. He quickly set about fixing up the camp, digging graves, planting crops and cutting trees. The group of three were able to efficiently cover all of the essential tasks and before long the colony was actually looking good again, with torches and campfires burning, and rose bushes bringing a bit of beauty to the place.

A couple of raids were successfully fended off with minimal damage, but the end came when a pair of crazed iguanas attacked the camp. The three colonists took up defensive positions behind a barricade, but as the iguanas approached, the wanderer revealed her true intentions and betrayed the colony. Clubbing Laila's left leg clean off her body and picking up her revolver, she turned on the medic. He managed to take her down with a couple of shotgun blasts, but not before taking a bullet to the arm. As he tried to carry Laila to the hospital, the iguanas closed in on him. He killed both, but had multiple toes bitten off and was bleeding heavily.

He dragged Laila to her bed and started to bandage her wounds, but passed out from blood loss before he could finish, and the pair of them bled to death together.

A horribly grim end, but what a game. Time for another!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

Ah yes, have them spawn in the giant cavern that contains one building, give them a few seasons to breed, then set a fire and cask of amontillado them till crispy

Took me a while to find it, and these definitely weren't the best screenshots of this whole affair.

Warmachine posted:

The last time bugs tunneled into my oil wells, I lost my entire power system because I didn't compartmentalize it. I learned. Now, I can take a leaf from Saddam Hussein's book and light the wells on fire to own the bugs.

:mensch:

edit: Fun fact, according to the internet, Limestone breaks down at 825C. Those tunnels easy reached 2000C.

Basically Centralia.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the great hall design i was showing off has definitely adapted really well to the new versions

obviously not filled in fully yet, but this is only season 4 and i'm playing tribals so the first year is always slow. the empty space in the middle will become the throne room that everyone uses, and i already sized out the lab so it'll accept 4x hi-tech benches once i get there.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CORN.

SMOKELEAF

...also blood.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

u trade the 3 c's buddy

corn
cocoa
crack

weed is mostly there because one of my recruits came from a high life ideology and you better believe i am using that poo poo offensively. just belching all sorts of weed at motherfuckers as they come through my defenses. shooting the poo poo out of dudes so stoned they can barely see straight.

the blood was...well, it was me seeing how much doctor XP you got from bleeding prisoners. answer: like none

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coolguye posted:

u trade the 3 c's buddy

corn
cocoa
crack

weed is mostly there because one of my recruits came from a high life ideology and you better believe i am using that poo poo offensively. just belching all sorts of weed at motherfuckers as they come through my defenses. shooting the poo poo out of dudes so stoned they can barely see straight.

the blood was...well, it was me seeing how much doctor XP you got from bleeding prisoners. answer: like none

The offensive autobong. I like it. Have you considered a yayo dispenser for your dudes?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Don't get high on your own supply :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

Don't get high on your own supply :colbert:

:hai:

my native drug regimen is:

psychite tea: 1x every 2 days, if mood below 75
ambrosia: 1x every 2 days, if mood below 50
smokeleaf: 1x every 2 days, if mood below 35

if i ever pick up Psychite Immune genes i might revisit it but addictions are not okay and i avoid them at all costs. i also don't appreciate weed's consciousness (and therefore productivity) debuff when it is already so loving hard to get everything done. i'm in season 6, almost 7 now and i still need proper guns, proper melee weapons, proper devilstrand gear, proper flak vests, lots more skills (and therefore, as many neurotrainers as i can get my hands on), and lots, lots, lots more research, including another 4500 points of microelectronics. i've mostly given up on normal meals because it simply takes too long to cook for the colony; i'm using paste instead.

none of this includes all the leisure time i need in order to meditate at the anima tree and start seriously powering up my psychic powers. nor the time that i really should be spending getting a gene lab going so i can start cracking open archite crap. i'm hoping that archite genes are inheritable, because i'm sort of holding off in IVF stuff until i can investigate that. if they are, i'll turn the women of my colony into demigods and get them raising kids. i'm REALLY impressed at what little i've seen so far of the kid-raising mechanics, if you mostly leave kids alone and feed them well they turn into complete and utter badasses. yeah sure it takes time but not so much that it's a problem.

e: upside, this group spawned with 2 wargs so it was pretty easy and profitable to add a corpse freezer to one of my outbuildings

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2023

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Smokeleaf sucks bad but every psychite drug except for flake is incredible. Yayo is super useful for spot-treatment of unhappy colonists. Is someone sad because they had to eat their own grandma? Do a line and they're over the moon for the rest of the day. There's a minor risk of overdose, but that's never lethal as far as I can tell, and if they were going to have a mental break anyway you might as well roll the dice.

Yayo's also really good for situations like, say, your doctor being sick or wounded but needing to do life-or-death treatments/operations on others. You can restore someone to a fairly functional state with a quick bump. Similarly, if you have to have defenders holding a line for a long time, they can do a little marching powder mid-battle to keep them from breaking. I even ran a colony of transhumanist baseliners where everyone was doing it every 5 days or so, just because. You can use psychite tea to manage addictions acquired through Yayo, and after a certain point it's trivial to keep up.

Biotech made it even better. Wasters never get addicted so you can just have them constantly jazzed out of their minds. No social fights even though everyone's ugly as poo poo and has the aggressive trait, no mental breaks even though the place looks like toxic rear end and everyone's bedroom has trash piles to give them the pollution buff, which lasts all day and stacks with drug buffs and the neural supercharger. They need less food than baseliners and I have never seen one die of infection or disease thanks to superimmune. They are the best race, it's not even close IMO. This becomes especially important lategame when everyone has massive expectations.

The only real downside is that psychite can sometimes cause kidney damage, but like, kidneys are free and Cassandra delivers them to you on a regular schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDc--yrWQc
This but cocaine and everyone looks like a fallout ghoul.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, i'm a big fan of yayo but addictions are bad news bears to me. people already barely need a reason to be pissy in this game, i don't want to give them another. that said, i already have 3 archite pods from trading and quest rewards so by picking up ageless/no-hungy/gene transfer i will absolutely put in psychite immune if i can find it. at that point i'd let everyone start their day with a line of coke no issue.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also note that despite the ideology being "high life" they don't particularly care about smokeleaf proper, just recreational drugs in general. Psychlite tea plor ambrosia or whatever are just fine, and I think even coffee from VE counts since there's an addiction chance. Smokeleaf is too crippling to keep the colony on it constantly, alas.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I’ve tried coke colonies but it’s an awful lot of work to do all the planting and hauling and processing to keep people on it regularly, especially since I like to play in harsh biomes where growing space is at a premium.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Welp, I started in a temperate zone and didn't bother hunting for a year and a half. Now my base has hundreds of wild guinea pigs trotting about the place.

I don't think my hunters are even making a dent in the numbers, given every time I open the wild animals tab there's another screenful of juveniles to mark for death.

These fuckers had better starve over winter :argh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When someone has bad vibes I force them to take drugs about it. Sometimes life imitates art.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Asimo posted:

Also note that despite the ideology being "high life" they don't particularly care about smokeleaf proper, just recreational drugs in general. Psychlite tea plor ambrosia or whatever are just fine, and I think even coffee from VE counts since there's an addiction chance. Smokeleaf is too crippling to keep the colony on it constantly, alas.

yeah i had the refugees come in and even the kids were wanting to get high so they ran through all my weed. i didn't have that much at the time because, you know, my colony only uses it as an alternative to a major mental break. they then drank all my tea and one of them got addicted to psychite only through tea. i could have fixed their drug policies but honestly i wanted to see where they'd end up since they were leaving in 10 days anyway.

Mzbundifund posted:

I’ve tried coke colonies but it’s an awful lot of work to do all the planting and hauling and processing to keep people on it regularly, especially since I like to play in harsh biomes where growing space is at a premium.

processing is a LOT, there's no joke about that. that's kind of why i refer to the three trading cs with cocoa in there.

cocoa is objectively terrible as a cash crop; it takes a long time to plant, a long time to grow, it requires a 3x3 zone to plant, and more. however, after you knock it down, you don't need to process it at all, it just goes into the shelves for sale.

in harsh climates though both of them suck rear end. you are spending so much time and such a huge percentage of your land resources just trying to stay alive you don't have any spare time to roll joints or hectares to make crack. best i have ever done there is slowly trade for a steel excess and make steel sculptures. art always sells, and while it's still a big time sink, it's at least a time sink for one person and you're not spending extra effort getting their raw materials.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I only really engage in massive drug production once I've got PRF automation setup to handle the entire production chain. Ive had too many randoms show up and raid my stash.

Now if only I could completely automate booze, I might be able to keep the alcoholic dogs out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tesla was right posted:

Welp, I started in a temperate zone and didn't bother hunting for a year and a half. Now my base has hundreds of wild guinea pigs trotting about the place.

I don't think my hunters are even making a dent in the numbers, given every time I open the wild animals tab there's another screenful of juveniles to mark for death.

These fuckers had better starve over winter :argh:

Killing guinea pigs should trigger capybara raids

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

BattleMaster posted:

Killing guinea pigs should trigger capybara raids

Because what are capybara but guinea pig heavy units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Coolguye posted:

i'm hoping that archite genes are inheritable, because i'm sort of holding off in IVF stuff until i can investigate that.

Not unless you're god-moding things in the genotype editor or fiddling with mechanics via mods, only stuff in the top half of the gene tab are inheritable by default and you have to install xenogerms individually.

Would be nice if you could get the Genie/Hussar/Highmate xenogerms from quest rewards or something so you could upgrade a baseliner pawn without having to build a giant lab and spend years ripping genes out of test subjects.