Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't even announce new iPhones until August/September unless there's like a mid-cycle SE update or a new color of current models or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried using my AirPods but something weird is happening, they show up as an audio option but won’t fully connect. When I try to pause/unpause with them in it works and makes the click sound, but the audio only comes from the phone.

When I try to select them from Overcast I get the spinning wheel but it goes away quickly and doesn’t connect.

My googling is coming up with lots of similar but different issues. Any idea how I can fix it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowy posted:

I tried using my AirPods but something weird is happening, they show up as an audio option but won’t fully connect. When I try to pause/unpause with them in it works and makes the click sound, but the audio only comes from the phone.

When I try to select them from Overcast I get the spinning wheel but it goes away quickly and doesn’t connect.

My googling is coming up with lots of similar but different issues. Any idea how I can fix it?

Forget the device in your list of bluetooth poo poo, reset them back to factory. I'm sure there's other things you could try, but that process I described takes all of two minutes.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 31, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I deal with that every few days. Forgetting and reconnecting fixes it every time. I’ve experienced that issue with every BT accessory I use regularly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jose Oquendo posted:

Forget the device in your list of bluetooth poo poo, reset them back to factory. I'm sure there's other things you could try, but that process I described takes all of two minutes.

Thanks but no, same thing keeps happening :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Snowy posted:

Thanks but no, same thing keeps happening :(

Do you have any other apple devices to try them with? I suspect the issue is the AirPods but it would be nice to narrow it down and confirm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have any other apple devices to try them with? I suspect the issue is the AirPods but it would be nice to narrow it down and confirm.

Yeah but I’ll have to do that in a few hours. That’s a good idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

They don't even announce new iPhones until August/September unless there's like a mid-cycle SE update or a new color of current models or something.

The announcement is always the Tuesday in September before pre order. There are some instances where a specific model preorder is pushed back, but that’s it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jose Oquendo posted:

They ended up working but I’m not sure which part of the various forgetting/connecting/rebooting steps actually did the job. I didn’t get a chance to try them on my old iPhone, I just repeatedly kept disconnecting and resetting the AirPods and restarting the phone. I had two long subway rides today and have made myself unhealthily dependent on podcasts so I was getting desperate there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

That could be it. I have uBlock disabled but I have another anti tracking extension that I might not have switched off.

fwiw, no, both blockers were turned off for icloud.com

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's been maybe 5 years since I've done this, so I'm pretty out of the loop. I'm trying to sync my music library from my old iPhone onto a new Windows computer with iTunes. I've signed in on the computer with my Apple ID and have given it authorization. My computer recognizes that my device has audio files on my iPhone but refuses to "see" them or sync them with my computer. I only have the option to override the 1500+ songs on my iPhone with the 30 on my computer, rather than syncing them together. My computer is able to download any songs I bought off iTunes. However, the majority of my music came from importing CDs into my old computer's library, then syncing that with my iPhone. Those are the songs that aren't showing up.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I've done this, and I didn't have any problems with doing something like this 5-10 years ago. What exactly can I do to transfer the whole audio library from my iPhone to my computer?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pungry posted:

It's been maybe 5 years since I've done this, so I'm pretty out of the loop. I'm trying to sync my music library from my old iPhone onto a new Windows computer with iTunes. I've signed in on the computer with my Apple ID and have given it authorization. My computer recognizes that my device has audio files on my iPhone but refuses to "see" them or sync them with my computer. I only have the option to override the 1500+ songs on my iPhone with the 30 on my computer, rather than syncing them together. My computer is able to download any songs I bought off iTunes. However, the majority of my music came from importing CDs into my old computer's library, then syncing that with my iPhone. Those are the songs that aren't showing up.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I've done this, and I didn't have any problems with doing something like this 5-10 years ago. What exactly can I do to transfer the whole audio library from my iPhone to my computer?

i used a mac app called "senuti" to do this some years ago. never done it on windows but people say sharepod is a good alternative to senuti

https://getsharepod.com/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone find the 14 super touchy with wireless charges? The sweet spot seems tiny compared to my XR and it’s not unusual for me to wake up in the AM with a mostly dead phone because it got knocked a millimeter or whatever. Pretty annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tim wants you to buy a MagSafe charger.

Hitting the wireless charging spot has always felt fussy to me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MagSafe Apple charger is awesome. I’ve posted before it’s one of my fav Apple examples of overcharging in price just enough, perfect amount for big profit à la Apple, but it works nice. I bought the recommended wattage Apple USB-C wall watt to go with it and it also works flawlessly and looks/feels good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

It's this. Never had an issue with wireless charging since upgrading to a MagSafe option

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Weedle posted:

i used a mac app called "senuti" to do this some years ago. never done it on windows but people say sharepod is a good alternative to senuti

https://getsharepod.com/

Hmm, tried this and it didn't recognize when my iPhone was plugged in. Thanks, though. I tried another service (iMazing) that let me transfer 50 songs for a free trial before I'd have to start paying $40.00 and, uh, no thanks. I just don't get why they changed it since I can't find an easy way to pay Apple at its source to do what I want so I have to keep searching for grey market offerings. Frustrating.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone find the 14 super touchy with wireless charges? The sweet spot seems tiny compared to my XR and it’s not unusual for me to wake up in the AM with a mostly dead phone because it got knocked a millimeter or whatever. Pretty annoying.

Had this happen multiple times since getting a 14 Pro. In my instance it's the jumbo sized camera bump not letting the phone sit flush on my wireless charging stand.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

Magsafe charges faster (15w) and you can find a third party cable for under $15 on Amazon. Normal wireless charging sucks without MagSafe. I just wish my AirPod Pros and Apple Watch could charge with a MagSafe cable.

Pungry posted:

Hmm, tried this and it didn't recognize when my iPhone was plugged in. Thanks, though. I tried another service (iMazing) that let me transfer 50 songs for a free trial before I'd have to start paying $40.00 and, uh, no thanks. I just don't get why they changed it since I can't find an easy way to pay Apple at its source to do what I want so I have to keep searching for grey market offerings. Frustrating.

There is no first party solution - as far as I know, Apple has never allowed users to pull music like that off iPhones or even iPods like some sort of external storage device without a third party app like iMazing - I literally used that to pull music from my iPod over a decade ago. Something something, an iPhone isn't a computer, you should have had these stored somewhere else like on a cloud drive or external drive or something.

At this point, you're one of those edge-case users who isn't subscribed to a music streaming service, so they're not going to add something like that as a feature. They do offer the ability upload your entire library to the cloud using iTunes Match, but it costs $25/year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 3, 2023

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Corb3t posted:

There is no first party solution - as far as I know, Apple has never allowed users to pull music like that off iPhones or even iPods like some sort of external storage device without a third party app like iMazing - I literally used that to pull music from my iPod over a decade ago. Something something, an iPhone isn't a computer, you should have had these stored somewhere else like on a cloud drive or external drive or something.

At this point, you're one of those edge-case users who isn't subscribed to a music streaming service, so they're not going to add something like that as a feature. They do offer the ability upload your entire library to the cloud using iTunes Match, but it costs $25/year.

Yeah I had to dig around for a third party thing to do it, and eventually found one that worked for free: 3uTools. It let me do the music transfer I wanted but did override my playlists, which was a bit of a bummer since I made a lot of mix CDs. But at least my music is on my computer again. It's frustrating that Apple never had a first-party solution but you are definitely correct that I'm a weirdo edge-case. Thanks for the help in here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m pretty sure the limitations on taking music off your device trace back to the early days of the iPod and restrictions the RIAA wanted because they saw it as a possible major piracy distribution tool. I may also be talking out of my rear end.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pungry posted:

I just don't get why they changed it since I can't find an easy way to pay Apple at its source to do what I want so I have to keep searching for grey market offerings. Frustrating.

You could never sync songs "from" an iPod or iPhone. You could only ever sync a library to it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pungry posted:

I would just pay $25 a year for iTunes Match and make your life a million times easier.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hitting the … spot has always felt fussy to me.

Same bro. Same :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What does it mean when you call a number, it doesn’t ring instead it beeps three times and then disconnects? At first I thought the line was busy but I’m calling a government office. I tried four times across the course of the day and got the same every time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Pretty sure three beeps is a connection error, like a phone number not existing or their line being down for some reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

What does it mean when you call a number, it doesn’t ring instead it beeps three times and then disconnects? At first I thought the line was busy but I’m calling a government office. I tried four times across the course of the day and got the same every time.

Can you call other numbers? If you can't there could be something goofy with your phone. I had that happen once. I was trying to call someone and it wouldn't go through at all. Tried another number, same thing. A hard reset fixed it. Never had that happen before on any iPhone or since.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you call other numbers? If you can't there could be something goofy with your phone. I had that happen once. I was trying to call someone and it wouldn't go through at all. Tried another number, same thing. A hard reset fixed it. Never had that happen before on any iPhone or since.

Yeah other numbers work. I tried turning it off and on again, is a hard reset more than that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah other numbers work. I tried turning it off and on again, is a hard reset more than that?

https://support.apple.com/guide/iph...0side%20button.

Turning it off on again doesn't kill all the processes. A hard reset is supposed to. You also might want to reset your cellular settings and check for an update from the carrier. This is all assuming the number is even in service.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If other numbers work, it's either an issue with the carrier or the number itself isn't operating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MagSafe gentials when

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ordered a magsafe charger cause of the thread but I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea. Seems to defeat the purpose of wireless charging, but we will see I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I splurged on a nice MagSafe charger with watch and wireless AirPod charging and I’m happy about that decision every time I use it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have this at my desk and this at my nightstand :hehe:

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I just recently bought a iphone 13 mini "renewed" off Amazon. When I got the phone, everything seemed to be fine with it except I couldn't get Face ID set up. It would just say "hold your iphone lower" or something like that, and would not progress. I did some research and discovered that this is a common problem, and the fix is to whack the camera area with your finger to "wake up" the sensor. I tried it and that got it Face ID set up. For the rest of the day Face ID seemed to work in opening the phone, but now it's the next day and it just won't work at all. I have to type in my passcode to open the phone. Even though I'm whacking the front camera area over and over, it just won't work.

My question is, how common of a problem is this for the iPhone 13 mini? If I return this one for another one, is it likely my next iPhone 13 mini will have the same problem as this one?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

School of How posted:

My question is, how common of a problem is this for the iPhone 13 mini? If I return this one for another one, is it likely my next iPhone 13 mini will have the same problem as this one?

Works on my machine so the chances are probably ok.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

amazon "renewed" is just a used phone and yours is obviously broken. if you can send it back do so.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There’s a reason everyone in this thread says to buy from the Apple refurb store if you’re taking that route.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

amazon "renewed" is just a used phone and yours is obviously broken. if you can send it back do so.

Jose Oquendo posted:

There’s a reason everyone in this thread says to buy from the Apple refurb store if you’re taking that route.

Yeah both of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah both of these.

Agreed yes. Also if one can afford it I tend to recommend going brand new, iPhone Upgrade Program be costing a cool five-six hundo each year for brand new flagship phone, and I can scratch the screen lightly etc if I didn’t care to protect it much and they still take it back for a new phone with no questions.

In USA at least, I imagine due to added VAT / weird import stuff the pricing of similar programs in other countries may be less advantageous for consumers.

In fact tbh I think the deal is too good currently, curious to see if they will keep it going or raise the pricing scheme.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 3, 2023