Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

is there an easy way of turning a video on android into a gif without giving hackers my SSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you own an android, they already have it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

distortion park posted:

is there an easy way of turning a video on android into a gif without giving hackers my SSN

1. download termux
2. pkg add ffmpeg
3. ffmpeg -i video.mp4 output.gif

there are various options to change the frame rate, length, dithering method etc. too but generally that should do it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beeftweeter posted:

1. download termux
2. pkg add ffmpeg
3. ffmpeg -i video.mp4 output.gif

there are various options to change the frame rate, length, dithering method etc. too but generally that should do it

problem: app store so full of spyware that it literally cannot be trusted

solution: install a shell app, download a command line application from a package manager, run command line shell app on your phone. note the implied step of getting the path for the video and doing something with the output that integrates it into the UI once converted.

jfc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

solution: install a shell app, download a command line application from a package manager, run command line shell app on your phone. note the implied step of getting the path for the video and doing something with the output that integrates it into the UI once converted.

jfc

it's literally three steps (two if you already have termux) and it aliases internal storage to "~/storage"

why would i download some stupid conversion app when ffmpeg is right there? they probably use libavcodec anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and yeah you can make a shortcut on ios that gives you a crappy ui to do it but the output quality sucks and you don't have any control over the frame rate, length, palette or dithering algorithm

solution: download a-shell on ios. it includes ffmpeg

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
smh running Linux on a phone? 🤣🤣 you folks are too drat much

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

ios is also a linux

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bbgs is still on windows phone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wait until you hear about cars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

why would i download some stupid conversion app when ffmpeg is right there? they probably use libavcodec anyway

because you don’t have the ‘bergs and don’t wanna janitor your smartphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

jfc

yes, it's a linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

let's be frank, if you didn't want to get elbow deep in your phone, you would have bought one that just worked

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

because you don’t have the ‘bergs and don’t wanna janitor your smartphone

the app store is just a fancy package manager

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

except also the one that just works is by pure force of market dominance getting it done, but as far as technological basis goes resents you for trying to make one format into another.

pay up piggie, we're already planning to break this next update.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

distortion park posted:

try the giphy app, just don't upload it to giphy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or you can just do it directly in the Samsung Gallery app if you have a decent phone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Samsung...decent.

?????????????????????????????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Or you can just do it directly in the Samsung Gallery app if you have a decent phone.

I'm not seeing that in the App Store

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not seeing that in the App Store

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mediaphage posted:

try the giphy app, just don't upload it to giphy

thank you I wasn't going to install a terminal app

only let me do 6.5s but good enough

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

distortion park posted:

thank you I wasn't going to install a terminal app

only let me do 6.5s but good enough

boy i wanna floof that dog

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

boy i wanna floof that dog

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

$1800 American funbucks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
looks like a real piece of poo poo, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just wait till your monitor is on!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
:vince:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The line/gradient up along the crease looks just like the wear mark on every single foldable, so what's the difference?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why would I want to fold a screen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i cracked my screen protector a few days ago and i put a new one on today. i did it completely perfectly first time. barely had to squeegee it and there was not a single speck of dust underneath to remove. didn't even use the stickers. flawless.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the pro move is to just use soapy water

Apr 7, 2003

~Coxy posted:

The line/gradient up along the crease looks just like the wear mark on every single foldable, so what's the difference?

The article says that the design doesn't leave any room for grit whatsoever, if there's some crap on your screen and you fold it, it's going to be forced into the screen and ruin your $1800 advertising device. lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

It's not about the crease, there's a part of the OLED panel that's not covered by anything and then the flat bezels mean that anything in that area will get mashed into the screen:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/06/rip-to-my-pixel-fold-dead-after-four-days/

Apr 7, 2003

eighteen hundred American dollars.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Foldable screens are such a super complicated, brittle, and expensive solution to a problem nobody has.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Foldable screens are such a super complicated, brittle, and expensive solution to a problem nobody has.

I have a problem trying to fit a tablet-sized screen into a compact form-factor. Foldable screens solve it. Google attempt just sucks apparently.

Apr 7, 2003

no one needs to walk around with a tablet-sized screen in their pocket, hth

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
screens and phones are too big. foldable phones are an absolutely loving stupid "solution" to that "problem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

no one needs to walk around with a tablet-sized screen in their pocket, hth

Ok I can agree with that